The Sundered Way - OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: The Sundered Way - OOC

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:55 am

There are new spells, I'll get something up for that soon, hopefully tonight.

I've got two lab finals today to give and grade, then getting fillings done in my face, an inclass response in another class to grade, then two more lab finals on Monday, 90+ <3 page papers to grade, exam questions in yet another course to grade, a final exam question in the first other course to grade, and then final exam questions in the second other course to grade... all by the 15th.

Sooo... if I don't surface for a while, you'll know where I am. Fortunately, foruming provides a much needed break from all the grading, as long as I can do it in short bursts!
thinkslogically wrote:Not going to lie, I was just fine with Randy's thing being orcs :lol:
Bring on the aberration orcs!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:58 am

Since we are on the subject of extraplanar creatures, I should have Holger question your fey familiar to figure out who it works for besides Tess.. :shifty:
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:04 am

Well, no-one else knows about him, so do it quietly :)

EDIT: Actually, I'm not even sure if she introduced him to Holger properly yet. Eh, probably. It's a fun thing to show off :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:09 am

This seems to be a complete list... It doesn't have it broken down by Class/Level though, I'll get something for that later.

Spells, Xanathar
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:20 am

A quick search on silverware (Made it really easy to find :lol: ) and a few pages back and I have your introduction of your familiar, so Holger knows, which is why he wasn't as excited about the familiar as he otherwise would have been :p
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:31 am

Ah yeah! I thought it was the sort of thing she'd share with Holger :) Forgot about the silverware though haha!

Anyway, you'll need to do your own cross referencing, but here's the warlock spell list from Xanathars (from http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthre ... -xanathars). I have no idea if they're specific to the new patrons or not, but hopefully Spider's link will cover that part :)

Cantrips
Create Bonfire
Frostbite
Infestation
Magic Stone
Thunderclap
Toll the Dead

1st Level
Cause Fear

2nd Level
Earthbind
Mind Spike
Shadow Blade
3rd Level
Enemies Abound
Thunder Step
Summon lesser demons

4th Level
Charm Monster
Elemental Bane
Shadow of Moil
Sickening Radiance
Summon Greater Demon

5th Level
Danse Macabre
Enervation
Far Step
Infernal Calling
Negative Energy Flood
Synaptic Static
Wall of Light

6th Level
Investiture of Flame
Investiture of Ice
Investiture of Stone
Investiture of Wind
Mental Prison
Scatter
Soul Cage

7th Level
Crown of Stars
Power Word Pain

8th Level
Maddening Darkness

9th Level
Psychic Scream

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:43 am

Thanks, that helped a lot. I started going down an infinite spiral on Spiders list continuing to go between cantrips and xanathars spells :lol:

I'm considering switching out poison spray with frostbite and hex with cause fear. It seems to fit thematically better and hopefully be more useful than hex :p
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:22 am

Once I'm sure everyone else is done asking the hermit questions, Randy will go into his background info.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:52 am

Why not just do it? We can speak to the hermit afterwards or retcon them in if need be, but it's been several IRL days now.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:19 am

Mainly because it will take a little time for me to put it together. I'm still winding down a clinic after all. :P

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:32 am

spiderwrangler wrote:This seems to be a complete list... It doesn't have it broken down by Class/Level though, I'll get something for that later.

Spells, Xanathar
Here are spell lists by class, if you see something of interest, you can look it up in the link above, or find it elsewhere if you want to check it out.

((BARD, Cleric, Druid. I took a bad shot.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:43 am

I'm waiting for Spider to say nothing special happens, making Randy seem crazy... :P

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:50 am

:lol: Or that finding an invisible gate that no-one else can detect in any way is only step one of a complicated process needed to actually use the gate. ...Making Randy seem crazy :D

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:46 am

Even if Randy can blow a tree apart with a heretofore previously unknown power, doesn't mean he might not be a little...unhinged. :shifty: Interactions with the Old Ones in their 'natural' form is usually enough to test most mortals' sanity, even if the interaction is relatively benign. Time (and Spider) will ultimately make that determination. ;)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:01 am

No argument from me. I don't know what Randy and Holger are messing with, but Nem's expecting both of you to get screwed over because that's her experience of what people with power do.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:19 pm

Situation Normal: All Fouled Up! :lol:

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:29 pm

And zephyr seems to be dealing with bloodlust and killing withdrawal

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:27 am

What do you mean? Holger told you he was communing with air elementals and nothing came of it o:)
Randy is also quite unlucky that he's trying to showcase force damage which might be the most boring and hardest to distinguish from normal physical damage :lol:
Is force damage able to hit ethereal creatures or was that only 3.5 that was a thing? I know it was a lot rarer in that version and it had the ability to hit creatures on the ethereal plane, but I couldn't find any mention on it when I looked.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:28 am

Yeah, Nemeia is also very aware of being told to go away (by Holger) because "Holger is busy" or whatever it was. Speaking in someone else's voice and using the third person does not bode well for proving you're not under some kind of weird mind control.

The ethereal part might be 3.5e only. I know that in 5e creatures get resistances and immunities to different damage types, but I don't know if there's even an ethereal category any more. It might be celestial now, or just bundled in with undead (for incorporeal creatures). I honestly don't know the subtleties, but I do know that adding force damage will be great against anything with physical damage immunities or resistances :)

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:37 am

Which makes sense for the Horizon Walker since they're more likely to run into something with that kind of damage resistance. I'm not sure if there is a limit to how often you can use it, other than once a turn? I don't think it uses spell slots.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:34 am

Sounds like it's just a combat bonus action, so once per round (on a hit, I think?), and no other cost. Charging you spell slots for it seems pretty unfair given rangers are just half casters and it's not that big a bonus.

By the way, technically (and DND combat rules involve a lot of "technically's), "per turn" refers to anyone's turn, so if that was the case, you'd potentially be throwing d8 force damages out every time anyone hit anything and that seems a tad OP :lol: "Per round" is what you get.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:45 am

Details, details... :P :chuckle:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:55 am

Yeah I know :) but it's one of those wording things that can be super important. Like rogues can add sneak attack damage per turn, so I could add it to my main attack AND to a qualifying attack of opportunity if the opportunity arose (but not to an off-hand attack while dual wielding). It's unlikely to ever affect Nem much, but you never know.

Actions listed as "per round" don't work like that, so you'd have to choose the attack you're adding the force damage to, and it only resets when your turn comes round again. Of course, if you miss the main attack, but hit with an AOO, you could add the force damage then.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:21 am

Unless I'm doing a stack like Spider and I discussed earlier. Which I figure is really only useful at the start of combat if I'm ambushing a group of monsters. Still being able to enhance one attack per round with force damage may be useful. Say if Holger summons an elemental but isn't able to control it. Or if we wind up on an elemental plane or some such.
You know, it occurs to me that Spider COULD pull a Lost In Space on us now.... :paranoia:

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:24 am

I thought this was a covered wagon. No way that the drivers could "see" me....hear maybe...