The Sundered Way - OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Re: The Sundered Way - OOC

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:09 pm

Maji is not currently religious, but that may change. The god that he'd most likely to follow would probsbly piss off the cleric. :shifty:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:11 pm

Fair enough, since you're only a level 1 barbarian, you've got time to get 'born again' if that's what you want to pursue.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:32 pm

Hmm... Glamour could be interesting, although it doesn't appeal especially more than lore on first glance. (And I'd also be threading on Theis' territory... :P) Whispers does sound interesting, but doesn't quite sound like it'd fit with Ulmwin's character- So Lore it remains, if only because it's also the easier of options. :roll:

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:40 pm

Anybody feel like doing a Call of Chthulu type crossover? If Randy took the Horizon Walker, it'd be feasible. :P

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:58 pm

I'll be honest, I hadn't given much thought to planar travel, at least not until the problems your facing are big enough to span planes (or some among you have spells that allow for such travel). IF you do end up respecking Randy, you'd still keep Primeval Awareness, as that is a Ranger class ability, but would lose the Hunter: Horde Breaker feature that lets you make extra attacks. At 3rd level at least, you'd mostly be swapping dealing 1d6+MOD damage to a second target (if one is nearby) for 1d8 damage against one target.

Horde breaker does more on average, but only if there is a second target. The Planar damage is basically a reflavored version of Hunter: Colossus Slayer. That being said, with a party of 7, it would be very rare that you'd be facing a single baddie.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:29 pm

Lurks_In_Shadows wrote:Anybody feel like doing a Call of Chthulu type crossover? If Randy took the Horizon Walker, it'd be feasible. :P
You mean more than the cultists and gibbering mouthers we've already been introduced to? :lol:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:10 pm

:paranoia: o:)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:37 pm

thinkslogically wrote:
Lurks_In_Shadows wrote:Anybody feel like doing a Call of Chthulu type crossover? If Randy took the Horizon Walker, it'd be feasible. :P
You mean more than the cultists and gibbering mouthers we've already been introduced to? :lol:
Hey, you saw the description! Get to buddy around with ancient dragons, elementals, angels, demons, devils, with the odd ball elder eldritch horror thrown in for good measure! Why confine yourself to just one plane's baddies when you can have them all! :lol:
Seriously, I could retcon Randy if anyone wanted to, but I'm not going to demand it either. Spider has enough interesting ways of committing TPK without us wandering around the planes looking for the Old Ones. :shifty:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:16 pm

...Because we'll die? :lol:

But honestly, as far as I'm concerned the PCs are our job and the world is up to spider. If he wants to send us plane-hopping because it'd be cool, then I'm up for that. If we're destined to wander lost in the desert for months because it's cool then I'm up for that too :) I'm sure it'll be fun either way, and I'm just enjoying playing Nem for as long as she lasts.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:48 pm

thinkslogically wrote:But honestly, as far as I'm concerned the PCs are our job and the world is up to spider.
Yes, but I'm largely building the world around your PCs. To borrow a term from the Wheel of Time series, you are all Ta'veren, and bend the warp and weft of the Weave of the Worlds to your actions, even if it is not always apparent to you in the moment.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:16 am

I'm willing to put it up for a vote then. So far we've not done anything that would require the horde breaker action so no problem there. It wouldn't affect anything else except that Randy would become aware of mystic portals and pick up protection from good/evil spell (I wasn't sure if that takes the place of Hail of thorns or if it turns into an additional spell that Randy could use. )

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:00 am

I bet the madman is actually lvl 10+ and could easily beat all of us... :roll:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:27 am

"The spell counts as a ranger spell for you, and it doesnÔÇÖt count against the number of ranger spells you know."

It's a freebie.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:41 am

So another question. Would the planar warrior action stack with something like the hail of thorns? I know it says weapon, but given the effects of the hail of thorns is physical damage caused by the arrow essentially exploding, it looks a bit gray. It could be the planar effect would essentially cancel the spell and the target would take damage like a regular arrow. Actually, I'm not sure that I could use them both at the same time. It sounds like the planar effect targets for the next round of combat? Naturally, even if it could be used, the effect would be against the primary target only.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:53 am

Hail does exploding damage in addition to hitting and doing normal damage, so that would otherwise trigger. The issue is that both are bonus actions, and I'm not aware of anything that gives you two bonus actions in a turn.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:58 am

I thought that might be the case. I wasn't sure if Planar could be used in one turn to set up for an action in the next turn. Would make sense to try to limit it. Don't want the Ranger getting too OP for his level. ;)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:11 am

spiderwrangler wrote:
thinkslogically wrote:But honestly, as far as I'm concerned the PCs are our job and the world is up to spider.
Yes, but I'm largely building the world around your PCs.
Totes, I figured that's what you were doing :) I guess I maybe didn't explain myself very well, but whatever lurks wants to do with his character is fine by me (because it's his character), along with whatever knock-on effects it has on the campaign. So if there's a vote, I'll abstain.

Everything else we can work out IC.

I think you're right about bonus actions though. As far as I'm aware, it's one per round.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:24 am

Oh, actually... They are both bonus actions, so can't cast them the same turn, but Hail is concentration up to a minute.

So first turn, Hail and miss (or use action to dash, etc).

Second turn, planar and shoot, both trigger. Arrow damage plus 1d8 to target, exploding damage to it and anyone nearby.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:51 am

:shock:
It DOES stack? Holy moly, Batman! That spell picks up quite a bit of potency as the ranger levels up. A high level ranger could decimate a small army of low levels, and seriously inconvenience a party of high levels as is. True, an additional 1-2d8 damage becomes a little less relevant at higher levels, but the ability to convert it all to force damage is not something to sneeze at. I got some thinking to do here....

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:31 am

It stacks over two turns, so you'd be either giving up your attack on the first turn (or casting hail of thorns after attacking) to have it still around for the second turn.

Also your melee would be something to keep in mind, in that it DOES take your bonus action to use, which your off hand attack also uses. Right now, you can make 3 attacks (main, off, main against target w/in 5 ft via Horde Breaker), for 1d6+2 each (doing on average 17 (9-24) if they all hit, or if no Horde target is available, twice for 1d6+2 (11 (6-16) if both hit). Switching to Horizon Walker would mean you'd have to choose between attacking twice for 1d6+2 (11 (6-16) if both hit), or once for 1d6+2+1d8 (10 (4-16) if it hits).
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:15 am

Of course for horde breaker to be able to work, I have to be able to reach them, which means they can reach me too. Whereas the Horizon Walker allows for sneaky long distance sniping and the conversion to force damage to the primary target, which is sometimes helpful against certain critters. Like I said, I've got some thinking to do. Which is ultimately more in line with Randy's long term goals. I'm starting to lean a little bit more to the Horizon Walker due to some of the other abilities at higher level. I'm still thinking it over though.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:42 am

Hunter gives you superior combat and damage, but HW adds flavor and some additional utility. Feel free to ask or bounce anything you want off me, I'm open to however you want to proceed.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:20 am

Ya know, heck with it! I'm going for it! Spider, let's get working on converting Randy into a Horizon Walker! I've looked at the pluses and minuses and I think it could make things interesting. I can probably work with what we've done already to start him down that path. I'll start with our little mad hairy friend here.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:45 am

So the price for Randy to change classes is various eldritch horrors invading the material plane? I'm sure you would had been just as fine as your previous archetype :lol:

Any new level 1 spells (and cantrips?) for warlocks in your fancy new book? Luckily, neither the new sorcerer or warlock archetypes seems as alluring based on the names (knowing the old 3.5 prestige classes also helps giving a good indication as to what the new archetype does as they reuse some of the names, luckily for me :lol:

Granted I do wonder if taking levels in monk would be better just to become a drunken master :p
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:53 am

Not going to lie, I was just fine with Randy's thing being orcs :lol: