The Sundered Way - OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: The Sundered Way - OOC

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:31 am

The only other restriction is that you have to have used your action to make an attack before you are able to use your bonus action to make the offhand attack.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:57 am

So, do you guys think that if Randy were to attack, then back off, it'd be worth it to try and use the thundershock? Or should we wait one more turn to see if we can get the other vine blight in range, as well?

Or are we just gonna go straight out for singling out every one of them now we can probably get them in a nice orderly queue and hit them from two sides?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:09 am

Honestly, if we could pull them into a larger space like we originally planned that'd probably be more fun. I'm kind of stuck in the corridor behind everyone right now and there's not a lot I can really do (and I guess it's the same for a few others).

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:23 pm

So, I just thought of something... With thundershock being a sonic attack, it negates, walls, right?

Could I move up one square, and then cast the spell, with the bottom-right square of the AOE being directly to the left of me? It'd probably take care of two twig blights and a vine blight, so it'd probably be worth a spell slot...

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:38 pm

At this point, I'm quite willing to vacate my position if someone has something they want to try. Randy went after the twigs to keep them from chewing on an immobilized Holger. Twiggy #3 is currently stuck behind the vine and "probably" won't be clambering forward through it. I'm not sure much movement Randy would have left, since it sounds like he moved forward when he Ninja'd the two twigs. Terrain would be rough due to the vines.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:46 pm

To chime in with the acid breath idea - I have actually been holding my action so I could probably move back if that helps?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:03 pm

I thought the plan was to lure the creatures back to the large room so we could attack them there. If that's the case, then I guess yeah, Randy, Zephyr and /or Holger should probably start thinking about a tactical retreat / stealth. It may not ultimately be necessary if you guys can just take them out now from your positions, but there are a bunch of other party members waiting in the wings for this plan to come to fruition :P

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:39 pm

M0rtimer wrote:I have actually been holding my action so I could probably move back if that helps?
You've been holding an attack, not a dash movement, so narratively, Ulmwin has his crossbow trained on the corner, and wouldn't be able to switch gears within the brief seconds between to move instead.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:50 am

You've been holding an attack, not a dash movement, so narratively, Ulmwin has his crossbow trained on the corner, and wouldn't be able to switch gears within the brief seconds between to move instead.
Bah, humbug. :P

Also, concerning the whole "draw them back" plan... I must have at first missed that at first- And it's definitely not like I oppose it, but... I think it's not worth it anymore at this point? There's only four of them left- Holger is still trapped, they'll probably be trying to trap us when we retreat further, and there is no way to guarantee what direction they'll end up taking... By the point we'd have drawn them back while firing the occasional potshot, there'd probably only be a single one left by the time we reach a larger room.

I'm just gonna low-key mention that, while I'm not going to say "redraw stuff if you already have it drawn", I do think it would be better to have at least two-wide hallways being "standard", with the occasional stretches of one wide. Our party just seems a tad bit too large to effectively run "one-wide" hallways without either ending up having a lot of people being kept out of the fun, or needing to split up, which is as we previously established, rather dangerous if those things can pack quite a punch with just a bit of luck...

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:41 am

Yeah, the plan originally was to pull the blights back to the big room where we could all agro them. Then someone (*cough* Holger ) decided we needed to defend the T intersection to keep them from getting reinforcements from below. Randy wasn't as enthusiastic about this for fear of getting cut off from the safe rooms and exits and getting caught between groups of enemies if more did come from below. He didn't want to abandon the North Side group, so he took up position on the south side to provide support and flank attackers. Problem now is that almost 50% of the group is now cut off to a degree and Tess is hearing suspicious noises....
You might almost think that the DM is taking advantage of the situation to provide an "educational moment" in elementary tactics. :P

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:48 am

I think the lesson might be, "don't complain about having nothing to do in combat or more monsters will appear behind you" :lol:

Randy and co can still retreat though, or at least just make a space to let the tanks move in to do their job. Ranged attacks will take -2 to shoot around them, but Ulmwin can buff that away with bardic inspiration at least once or twice I think. If we have a cleric, they may also have guidance for us but I don't really remember... Depends if they want to risk getting close to the vine blights though. They do hit hard.
Last edited by thinkslogically on Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:53 am

M0rtimer wrote:I do think it would be better to have at least two-wide hallways being "standard", with the occasional stretches of one wide. Our party just seems a tad bit too large to effectively run "one-wide" hallways without either ending up having a lot of people being kept out of the fun, or needing to split up, which is as we previously established, rather dangerous if those things can pack quite a punch with just a bit of luck...
Yeah... We'll be sticking with it here, as it's what's been established, for the reasons that this complex was built and inhabited by small folk, but the narrow hallways are limiting me as much as you guys, so I'll likely go with larger ones in the future. One might think I'd have learned that lesson after the pile up in the mouther's cave.

Coljin is your cleric.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:26 am

I wonder how vineblights are able to squeeze like that...I want that ability. :p

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:41 am

Ah cool. I knew Rudy was a paladin, and I thought we had a cleric but then I forgot the rules about guidance and thought I'd post about it instead of just looking it up :P

I did learn that bardic inspiration and guidance are allowed to stack though, though we could potentially buff the crap out of someone when we go and visit the boss monster (or right now).

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:17 am

Yeah, they can stack, but would only stack on an ability check, since guidance is limited to that only, and bardic can be used on pretty much any d20 roll.

Both are also able to be used on initiative rolls as well, as that is an DEX based ability check... so if there is a party member that *NEEDS to go first, someone with guidance could cast it on them before stuff pops off and they'd have a d4 they could add to it. ((Though don't recall if guidance is one that Coljin has or not...))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:42 am

Yep, Coljin has guidance and resistance.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:19 am

Honestly all I wanted to do with Holger was to provide covering fire while they moved up the hallway and move away when they were surviving holgers attack, but Randy joined him :lol:
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:08 am

All these questions are making me paranoid... If his is the end of Nemeia, please avenge her!

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:59 am

Randy seems awfully paranoid for something that so far has a success rate of 0% when it comes to accidental hits. :shifty:

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:27 am

Randy is a firm believer in the concept of Murphy's Law. :chuckle:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:58 pm

Assuming Theis is still on occasional access, I'll have Holger try to break free tomorrow, so Rudy will be up shortly as well.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:25 am

I usually keep good track of what spells slots I've been using with some paper next to my computer...but now I've gone and cleaned and can't find my notes....
Spider, What do you have for used spell slots for Coljin for the day?
If you are not certain, I'll go back and look through the pages.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:54 am

If you all decide to up and die...I will make sure I make it back to town to retrieve a new adventuring party. :P

No but seriously, Spider, what would you do if we experienced a TPK?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:33 am

NotStickFigures wrote:I usually keep good track of what spells slots I've been using with some paper next to my computer...but now I've gone and cleaned and can't find my notes....
Spider, What do you have for used spell slots for Coljin for the day?
If you are not certain, I'll go back and look through the pages.
I know you cured Maji once, I don't recall beyond that, I've been tracking HP, but not spell slots.
BadgeAddict wrote:If you all decide to up and die...I will make sure I make it back to town to retrieve a new adventuring party. :P

No but seriously, Spider, what would you do if we experienced a TPK?
I don't think it's likely, but any deaths would be able to make a new character...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:32 am

I'll do a quick look back. I also healed myself up, so I think I used two slots, but I'll double check.