Hunters of Letrua OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: Hunters of Letrua OOC

Post by Dlover » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:11 pm

So there are a couple of ways I think we could handle sparring.

A) It's just fluff and no actual combat takes place.
B) Each person gives their action and I'll give the result, as with normal fights.
C) The two sparring take turns making an attack and running the numbers for their attacks.

Thoughts?
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:32 pm

I don't mind it being fluff or fighting it out. I didn't intend to make a whole lot more work for the GM, mind you. It's just something that Loki would VERY eager to do, both to improve himself, as well as to get a handle on everyone's skills and abilities. Especially since he wasn't singled out on "you seem talented to do enchantments", he'll have to concentrate on the physical aspects.

Also, it would be kind of nice if practicing (again, something that Loki is very likely to do regularly) would yield some (slow) skill gain/improved fighting prowess to the chars who dedicate their time to it. Not sure if you were planning on implementing anything like that, though, Dlover.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:56 pm

Eh, I made a lot of work for myself just by starting this game. I don't mind there being more.

As for skill improvement, I'm been planning on it. I'm not sure how it will work, since so far characters actually have no stats, but there should be benefits to training.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:09 am

I'm working on balancing the weapons right now. Sandy yellow box on the sheet is what I'm working on. It's a lot of trial and error, really, but the far ends of the scale are gradually becoming less insanely different. Probably going to work on bringing down the high end next. Okay, I feel like making the range any smaller would mean either making the existence of the rankings meaningless or going insane with decimals, neither of which I'm particularly fond of.

The next matter, which I will try to think over tomorrow, is training. Practice deserves rewards, but there's no stat system for characters, that was all going to be dependent on equipment. So... Perhaps something that would take the equipment stats and make minor changes to them? Say, focusing a lot on strength training would let you deal a little more damage but slightly reduce evasion due to a lack of agility training? But then I need to decide on how much of an effect it would have. A 10% variation? Would that even have a noticeable impact? Damage boosts would have to be bigger to make any difference, so it wouldn't be consistent. >.<
I'm rambling and should probably get some sleep. I'll think more later.
My game:

My characters:

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:03 am

okay, just in case it wasn't clear enough before: I'm happy with the combat being "just fluff". I'm also happy with the lovely GM (or the player of the sparring partner) rolling a combat for me. I don't really want to do the dice rolls and stuff myself. (Mostly because I'm at war with those "prove that I really rolled that" sites; more often than not I'm klutzy enough to somehow close the page before I copy the link, silly me. And I don't want to just claim I rolled this or that, even if there isn't anything at stake with a friendly sparring match. :) )

Heh, I just noticed that I don't even know the stats of the practice weapon Loki picked up. :oops: :lol:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:17 am

Eh, the practice weapons are just being treated as identical to the ones people have already picked out.
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:58 am

Are you sure julius can't warp time? Because he's just made 3 glass compasses and a glass bird in the time it's taken the others to land like 3 punches :)

Is there a system for keeping track of time for different activities and stuff? It just seems like burns is achieving WAY more than anyone else right now because he's posting so much more and the updates are keeping pace with him. I don't even know if it matters to be honest, and I don't want to slow the game down or anything, I was just curious :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:03 am

We should kill the magic man and take his power. :paranoia:

It seems that drawing a rune doesn't take any time at all, I think Julius was able to draw all kinds of things while in the middle of combat too.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:19 am

Yes, because it takes so much time to draw a couple of squiggly lines and weights. :p He is also using magic to make it go faster

Anyways, sorry..... I am not the best when it comes to restraint. I will try not to post as much for next few days so you guys can get caught up, but....no promises :p

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:25 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote: He is also using magic to make it go faster
So you ARE warping time!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:19 pm

thinkslogically wrote:Are you sure julius can't warp time? Because he's just made 3 glass compasses and a glass bird in the time it's taken the others to land like 3 punches :)
spiderwrangler wrote:It seems that drawing a rune doesn't take any time at all, I think Julius was able to draw all kinds of things while in the middle of combat too.
Arch Lich Burns wrote:es, because it takes so much time to draw a couple of squiggly lines and weights. :p
Drawing a rune and enchanting it takes about ten seconds, if it's something they're strong enough to provide enough energy in one go. Same time as a round of combat. But Julius is pretty far ahead. Since leaving the meeting room, the sparring group has spent about thirty seconds, twenty fighting, ten getting there. Julius, on the other hand, once I counted up all of his actions, with as much enchanting and walking as he's done, and the time spent recovering from overusing the enchantment... 300 seconds. So five minutes, which puts him four and a half minutes, or 27 turns, ahead. Most of which happened walking or as a group of actions such as making the three compasses. I'll try to level that out through playtime, but some people just can't post as often, so things will always be a little off.
thinkslogically wrote:Is there a system for keeping track of time for different activities and stuff? It just seems like burns is achieving WAY more than anyone else right now because he's posting so much more and the updates are keeping pace with him. I don't even know if it matters to be honest, and I don't want to slow the game down or anything, I was just curious :)
There is a loose sort of timekeeping. A round of combat takes ten seconds, as does performing an enchantment, modifying the armour takes five seconds, and speaking takes no time. Travel is less linear, since I haven't got a set layout for the arena.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:39 pm

I can ask IC if you'd rather, but what did Tor/you mean by "corrupted material"? The flesh of the beasts we killed?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:25 pm

Flesh that holds more magic than the human body could safely manage, so most beasts, yes. Careful preparation can provide edible meat, though, which is why the arena sends the remains to butchers. For example, the Felid's tail and bowels would be inedible, but the rest is actually edible. The carionite, on the other hand, doesn't provide much edible meat, because they're so lean and the corruption is stronger. Oh! That's what was missing from the booklet entries! There was meant to be a brief account of edible and inedible sections of beasts for each of them. I'll add that now.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:51 pm

Is the stuff rendered edible no longer corrupted, and no longer useful in increasing magical resistance?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:10 pm

Huh. I thought i was an hour ahead, at the very least.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:20 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:Is the stuff rendered edible no longer corrupted, and no longer useful in increasing magical resistance?
Yeah. They still have a little bit of an effect, but not as much of one.
Arch Lich Burns wrote:Huh. I thought i was an hour ahead, at the very least.
Well it depends on the walking time. I opted for pretty short travel times, but it probably should have been a lot longer.
My game:

My characters:

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:41 am

I'm sorry, but could you maybe copy (and delete) all the one-line posts into one big one, with the whole conversation (and actions) between Julius and the NPCs? Or do the conversations via PM and post a summary, when done?
As it is, it is very tedious to read and also quite a fuss to scroll through pages and pages of just two people interacting to try and find anything that is actually concerning one's own character.

I know most of group are in the sparring room, and you might still be waiting on a ruling whether or not people want "real" fights or just fluff, but they haven't got a single update in at least 24 hours, and tbh, I don't know why, when burns got a whole bunch of responses. It makes me feel like every other char gets kinda neglected and thus, a lot less interested in playing this game.
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:26 am

That would be my preference too if it could be made to work. Or just do E. G. 1 or 2 updates per day with everyone's actions in them (ignoring non-posters or waiting for them at your discretion).

That might make it a bit fairer and ensure that all the players are getting similar attention regardless of their timezone.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:50 am

Yeah, I'll start doing group updates. But in regards to the sparring group, I don't know what I could do for an update there besides repeat what you've already posted.
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:02 am

That's ok I think though - part of the point in the group updates is that it sums up all the individual player posts into one roughly similar time period so players who aren't participating in one part can easily find out what's been going on without having to read through pages of stuff.

It also lets you clarify the game canon as we go and keep player expectations on the same page :)

Anyway, I hope this doesn't sound like a whole bunch of complaining because I'm really enjoying the game so far and am looking forward to seeing where we go!

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:30 am

Nah, I'm not taking it as complaints. There's not much of a difference between complaining and criticism, most often it comes down to the tone of voice (Which we don't have here) and how it's perceived, and since I'm still trying to learn, I'm taking everything as criticism.

I'll put up a group update when I can tomorrow, but that'll still be a little more than twelve hours, at least, so I'll have to ask everyone to be patient.
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:21 am

I'm sorry, I didnt mean to make you guys feel left out. :(

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:23 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote:I'm sorry, I didnt mean to make you guys feel left out. :(
We know that wasn't the intent, and you're just excited to make everything. EVERYTHING. ;)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:47 am

It's totally fine! It's just something that's worth flagging now before it gets too confusing or you get so far ahead of the rest of us! Hell of someone just told me I had magical abilities I'd have more than a few questions too!

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:21 pm

Of course i am excited to make everything! It is what i told dlover i would do! If you want i can even make some of your items! There is so much stuff i can do and it is only limited by imagination and capability! What isn't to be excited about?