Hunters of Letrua OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Hunters of Letrua OOC

Post by Dlover » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:07 am

So, there'll probably be plenty of questions questioning my questionable decisions and writing. We're gonna need an OOC to handle that, if this turns into as much of a trainwreck as I expect. >:-P

I've got a game page set up on Obsidian Portal, here, with character sheets including equipment and known skills on PCs and short summaries on important NPCs.
Number stuff for those who want to know how I do it here.
Gonna try to make use of Spider's skill system, found here. No guarantees that I'll do it justice, though.

Combat explanation:
► Show Spoiler
Character list:
► Show Spoiler
Booklet entries:
► Show Spoiler
Standard Enchantments (outdated):
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Dlover on Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:54 am, edited 18 times in total.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Re: Hunters of Letrua OOC

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:24 am

Are we supposed to pick colors for our chars? Can I take white or is that too hard to read? I can also do glow or highlit white or highlit black.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:35 am

It's your decision as to having a colour or not, it just makes it easier to pick out characters. I can't read the white clearly, so that's a no-go, but the others are acceptable. Just don't expect me to match your formatting, I don't have magical moderator powers. :P
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:36 am

You can do the highlights / glow effects if you are a GM :) I think you just need to ask a mod to add you to the appropriate group.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:08 am

Ehh, I try not to pester people when I can avoid it. It's not like I'll make much use of those effects, anyway. Probably none, apart from duplicating formats others use, for continuing conversations.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:06 am

The blades that Korga has selected are essential the Letruan equivalent of a karambit, though perhaps slightly longer.

[thumbnail]http://g02.s.alicdn.com/kf/UT8QXuKXrlbX ... -Silat.jpg[/thumbnail]

Provided that is fine with you of course.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:26 pm

Those are fine. I'll get updates done in a while.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:18 am

Before I solidify a pronunciation in my head, is it L-eh-trua, or L-ee-trua (or something else)?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:22 am

L-eh-True-ah.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:16 am

Ok, thanks. :)
Dlover wrote: Now, combat's going to be a little simple in its basic form. It's basically a numbers game based on your equipment, and if you decide you're ill equipped for it you can opt to use one of the two variations, the quick jab or heavy hit, to try to make up for it. Since all the stats are still in a testing phase I'll make them available on the numbers document. I'll take care of calculations if you like, but if you want to handle them yourself the target's evasion is applied to each individual hit you try for. Most straight forward way to handle that is probably just to make a roll of Xd100 where X is you number of hits, as denoted by your weapon rank, and for each result above your target's evasion you land one hit. For each successful hit you would then make a roll based on the difference between the maximum and minimum damage values of your weapons and add the necessary constant to fit the result into the range. Since rank 1 weapons only have two possibilities, 4 or 5, they would roll 1d2+3 for each hit, thus generating results of either 4 or 5. Take the sum of those results, and then the target's defence steps in. It will reduce your total damage by a percentage. You can achieve that by multiplying the result by 1-0.(defence stat).

That's a lot of... Sketch explanation, so I'll go through a basic attack with a class 1 weapon against a Carionite as an example. [long explanation]
Class 1 weapon gives 6 hits, so attack starts with 6d100. These resulted in 76, 69, 18, 20, 21, and 6.

In a round of attacks, will we need to stick to one attack or the other? I'm asking partly for us, and partly because I'm wondering if the felid will be mixing paw and tail strikes together...

Since a Carionite has an evasion of 40, one hit lands for each result above 40, meaning three of those six attacks landed.
Since there are two possible damage outcomes for a rank 1 weapon, the damage roll is 1d2, plus the needed constant to bring a result of 1 to the minimum damage, in this case 3. As three attacks landed, this roll will be made three times, and the results summed. I use Coyote Code, so I can use the "Number of Rolls" box to make this step a little simpler.
This test showed results of 4, 5, and 4, for a total damage of 13.
The carionite's defence then reduces the result by 10%. Quick calculation reveals a final damage of 11.7, which rounds to 12.
And oh god is that a low value for a percentile-based HP system. But fear not! Most fights will not be solo, so the values shall stack! Hopefully! I might need to do some tweaking.
[/long example]
Anyway, you can see how tedious the whole calculation can be, and it might be kinda hard to understand, so it's up to you as to whether you want to do all that for yourself.

I'm certainly going to leave it to you, at least in the early going... you've got the best understanding of your system and the rolls to be made, so it'll likely be quicker and less confusing that way.

BUT, the calculations don't mean it will just be a matter of saying "I hit the enemy." If you want to include details of how you act, I'll take it into consideration and there can actually be results, depending on how plausible your actions are. As an example, Korga has heard of Allisandra's feat against a Felid, in which she essentially surfed on its tail, thus preventing it from using its tail to attack. That won't work for you. It worked for her because she's basically Jack Sparrow and thrives on insanity.

I figured it wouldn't, since I didn't take the "Grew up in the circus" background trait ;) , but I've got another plan for her in mind that may or may not work, but at the very least should score her points with her mentor for thinking creatively and hopefully putting on a good show. :)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:04 pm

erm, is there such a thing as "rounds" anyways, or will you just update for anyone who posted, as soon as possible? Will it be different, once the fighting starts?
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:12 pm

GathersIngredients wrote:
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:14 pm

Spider: each round will should stick to one or the other. I'm still trying to decide how dual wielding will work, or if it will just be the default for tier 1 weapons.

Gathers: There will be rounds in combat. Words are free, so I've been responding to each person when I can while it's all preparation and talk, but I'll try to bring it back to order during combat.

As for confusion with all the numbers, the purple section was carried over from my work on it earlier, I was meant to remove that. It was essentially just a chart that let me assess how effective each rank of weapon was against various defence levels and vice versa, before I actually set up statistics for each enemy. It doesn't mean anything to you guys unless you decide to fight each other. I've cut it out now.

Spider's explanation of the ranks was pretty good, there's just one thing to make note of; why you may want to use lighter weapons rather than heavier ones, since higher ranks clearly do more damage. The example test I ran should help for explaining that; Each attack can individually hit or miss, so when dealing with something with a high evasion if you use a heavy weapon chances are you'll rarely land any attacks.
GathersIngredients wrote:so, erm dear GM, is there somehting like a halbert? Or a pole weapon or something for good reach, but with a heavy/sharp/spiky enough end that it would make decent damage? If the vermin like creatures are slow, and Loki has some long weapon, he might be able to kill them without them being able to even scratch him.
Oh, right. I'd added a halberd to Loki's inventory, but I didn't think to make note of it directly in the update, sorry.

I'll see about getting an update out, but time's limited, so I may not get it done in time.
My game:

My characters:

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:56 pm

FYI, my Obsidian Portal username is just Synch :)
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:15 pm

I just made one under the same username as I use here.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:15 am

Thanks spider. But the bits about the weapons and the armour alone (top most and right most two tables) I think I understood. It's the combos of weapon vs armour that kinda broke my brains.
Also, I'm kinda confused about what the old man said the Rottina. Fat slow vermin makes it sound (to me!) like something that is as least dog sized (like dire rats maybe?). And then he goes on about how they crush under your boot. Does that mean unarmed (or Rank1) would suffice?
And I'm hoping that the additional armour might stop them from breaking his skin with their teeth, so Loki can avoid the sickness.

And apparently some people are already fighting? I didn't know that was possible. I thought we had to wait until we were led or shoved into the area or something. Kinda like in the ring... (haragorns game, if anyone still remembers that)

In any case, good luck guys (the co-players). :thumbsup:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:27 am

MY understanding is that we're almost all here voluntarily, so it's up to us how we prepare and when / how we start the fight. Olly's just nervous about being tested and wanted to get it over with :)

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:35 am

yeah, I know, but so far "my" NPC has interacted very little with me. Which is fine, Lar is apparently a man of few words. It's just kind of hard to work without much "outside" cues. I wasn't even told that Loki had found a weapon of his liking. (I got that you missed it, Dlover, I'm not trying to accuse you for it or something. Just explaining, why to me everything it a bit... hazy atm.)

At least I came up with some sensible question, that even a dumb person may asks. :lol:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:20 am

Yeah, the combinations was actually pitting them against each other, so it showed the minimum and maximum damage a rank 1 weapon would do against armour ranks 1 through 6, and so on. It really had no right being there, since it couldn't do anything but confuse you.

Rottina are probably around about the size of a chihuahua? It's been a long time since I've seen a Chihuahua, though, so I'm not certain about that. Roughly 20-30 centimetres long, or 8-12 inches. A regular boot wouldn't actually crush one, it's essentially his way of saying they're really fragile. So much so that they actually have a negative defence value, the only creatures to have such a quality, which is why you're fighting two of them.

And unfortunately the armour stays mostly off the legs to avoid inhibiting movement any more than the weight alone can. The metal plates have to give you room to grab and twist to remove them, so they're not so perfectly fitted as actual plate armour, and getting them onto the legs would be kinda awkward.

And yeah, Lar isn't the kind to strike up a conversation most of the time. He doesn't like being rushed, and gives the same courtesy to others, so he's given information he deemed important and will happily go about his own business until he receives prompting from those around him if they want to know more. If you were to ask him what he would advise he'd set you up in the basic (Rank 1) leather armour and with a big rank 6 warhammer, but for two rottina it shouldn't matter what you take.
If you're uncomfortable with the low-interaction of Lar, once you indicate you're ready to fight you'll have little more interaction with him than anybody else. Once the first fights are done everyone will be more grouped together. You're just separated at the moment so I can try to introduce you at your own pace. Which is surprisingly difficult while also trying to have diverse and somewhat interesting characters. I swear they are all interesting, as far as I'm capable, Lar is just one of the harder ones to get to know.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:23 am

Other than Korga and Eavus, we are all fighting these separately, rather than as part of one big battle, so it seems we can start when we're ready.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:29 am

Yeah, it was probably a little awkward to have one pair, since Runs shot through preparations and has had basically no interaction with the game.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:06 am

You mean my good buddy "Bait"? :lol:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:02 pm

This is how I imagine Risu to look, but obviously wearing more tomboyish clothes befitting a street acrobat/tumbler.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:15 pm

Synch wrote:the bazaars of Hirakuya.
Let's assume Hirakuya is a district. There are peoples from all over the world, but all they know now is the little corner of the land that they're in.
My game:

My characters:

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:48 am

I am amazed at the speed with which the game thread is moving. I dunno how you handle all the updates, Dlover, but I tip my hat to you.

And I didn't assume Lar wasn't interesting. Quiet people more often than not are. Getting them to open up is the challenge. And that might be a little hard to do with someone dumbing down in order to make people underestimate them. But we'll see how it goes.
► Show Spoiler