GAL Q 10: Scents and Sensibility

Home to all current Forum Games.
ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Re: GAL Q 10: Scents and Sensibility

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:06 am

Walks With The Wind searches around and eventually finds some sticks she can rub together to light her torch. With her torch lit the goblins walk into the cave. The torch plays hell with the light though. The shadows cast by the light against the stalactites and stalagmites dash around like stalking specters. They see nonexistent enemies in every nook and crevice. The fact that Tells Bad Jokes keeps popping in and out of sight doesn't help matters. Before long they come across the wounded spider that had retreated before. It has its back turned and is hissing deeper into the cave. The sound echoes in a most unnerving manner. It hears the goblins and turns. It hisses angrily and postures like its ready to pounce but does not charge. The effect of the lance seems to have worn off but itÔÇÖs not so eager to attack till back up arrives.

► Show Spoiler
*Nolandking you had previously posted you were going to follow the group. If that's changed or you thought of something else you had wanted to do I'll add it in retroactively.

*Gathers from what you said it sounded like you wanted to go with torch/shield. Let me know if that is in fact what you want. If you wanted weapon/torch let me know if you want to treat it as a second weapon (increased damage) or just a light source (no break chance).

*Pat your "debating" made it unclear as to whether you were going to in fact light your torch. If you want it lit I'll treat it as though it was done last turn.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:27 am

Laughs makes sure he has a clear shot, then heaves his non venomed throwing axe at the wounded spider with a giggle.
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:28 am

► Show Spoiler

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:48 am

► Show Spoiler
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Nolandking
Converses Frequently

Post by Nolandking » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:53 am

Tells will follow quietly nt attack unless more spiders come.
Haven't played this signature game in a long while but I'll try it out again.

Help these poor little guys hatch.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:07 am

For the moment shield and mace are fine for Forges but a lit torch might prove useful later on for webbing and such.

Following his Ear brother he charges forth to try and hurt/kill the beast that poisoned him earlier.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:38 am

Zaks will hang back, having seen the effect of this spiders poison on the others. He will look around the cave entrance while the others kill the spider.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:06 pm

At Zaks' comment about stabbing goblins in the eye, Walks nods grimly and whispers "I thought as much" under her breath, a mirthless smile on her own lips.
She considers whether or not she'd want a person like that to know her name, but in the end she sighs. It won't make any difference if she tells him, or the others do, and Zaks has been introducing himself, so Walks doesn't want to appear rude by not doing the same.
Before he scampers onward, Walks says "I'm Walks, by the way. Walks With The Wind."

Action:
Her torch in one hand, her shield in the other, she stands ready to step in between the wounded spider and any goblin it might hurt as need may be during the fight, but not aiming to use the torch as a weapon, she's just there to reduce casualties on the goblin side.
If the spider gets killed and no more danger is around for now, swap shield for axe to butcher this spider with it and collect the pieces.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:50 pm

Zaks (overly rightfully) concerned by the single wounded spider looks around the entrance for anything of interest but finds nothing outside of ordinary cave features.

Laughs Creepily hurls an axe at the spider, but the axe bounces off its carapace harmlessly. It seems heÔÇÖll need something with a little more oomph to harm it.

Tells Bad Jokes sneaks up quietly waiting for more spiders.

Forges for Food charges, dead set on vengeance. His bloodlust prevents him from noticing the webbing on the ground. The moment he steps on the web, tendrils of webbing snap upward gripping his lower body tightly. He is now entangled. As he tries to move the strands snap taught and thrum like some twisted string instrument sending out an eerie pulse of sound. Forges for Food hears an immediate response in the form of a hiss above his head. He looks up just in time to see a spider descending down onto him. It digs its fangs into his shoulder. He takes 2 damage from the sneak attack. Luckily it fumbles its landing and its fangs are not in long enough to inject the venom.

Tells Bad Jokes realizing enemy reinforcements were closer than expected springs into action and attacks the spider that descended on Forges. His attack successfully strikes the unsuspecting spider.

Walks With The Wind seeing Forges for Food suddenly vulnerable tries to jump in, only to fall prey to another such trap herself. Another spider drops from the ceiling to attack her. She takes 2 damage. She isnÔÇÖt as fortunate as Forges for Food and the spider gets its fangs in deep and pumps its venom into her. Walks With The Wind is now poisoned. However she has some luck. In her flailing to shake the spider off she touches her torch to the webbing. It ignites, burning away almost instantly. Her legs burn with pain but she gets off lucky as she didnÔÇÖt set herself on fire or do any serious damage to herself. Unfortunately in all the commotion she isnÔÇÖt able to provide any assistance to her companion.

The previously wounded spider pounces at the now vulnerable Forges for Food he has a little trouble with his new restrictions but he barely manages to get his shield around in time.

► Show Spoiler
*Nolandking I took the spiders dropping from the ceiling to fulfill your unless more come clause. Technically they were already there but you didn't know that.

*Pat I'm not picking on you, this one is your own fault for charging.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:52 pm

Walks grunts surprisedly and disgruntledly and, if possible, retreats from the immediate combat area enough to suck the venom out of her bloodstream without getting attacked.
If not possible, she tries to keep the spiders at bay with the shield and burn away any more webbings (not attacking, just lighting!) that might be around, attempting to avoid hurting goblins with the resulting flames.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:51 am

Feeling a little stupid for falling for such a trap when he was just about to warn the other to keep out an eye by looking awards as well. Forges fights the best he can attacking what looks like the most injured spider

"Someone burn these damn webs off me."
GathersIngredients wrote:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:46 am

► Show Spoiler
One thing I will advise to you Pat since you have faced some of the worst abuse here, is that while burning webs off may be the fastest way to free yourself, it is not the safest. Gathers just got lucky on her rolls. Granted chances are low but playing with fire can still be dangerous. Asking someone to burn the webs off isn't a bad idea (except maybe for someone wearing bark armor), but I'm just beginning to wonder if you guys are ignoring hints or missing them completely.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:42 am

Disappointed that his throwing axes are going to be completely useless for this entire freaking quest, after he paid good freaking money for them, Laughs stashes his other one and pulls out his spear, bellowing with laughter as he attacks the closest spider he can get to, wary of other snares. Preferably, he'll attack one of the ones going after Forges if he can get to him without being snared himself.

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:00 am

OOC: I know cutting the web might be safer but in his current predicament he has two spiders on him, is caught in web, doesn't have a cutting weapon and is/was still fulled by a little poison rage I was playing up o in character that's his thought process for the moment. Normally he's quite a calm collected thinker. ;)

And yes i didn't notice any clues I just thought it was descriptive text for the torch and its lighting.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:28 am

Patdragon wrote: And yes i didn't notice any clues I just thought it was descriptive text for the torch and its lighting.
Well, ("They see nonexistent enemies in every nook and crevice. ") the word I focused on was "nonexistent"... :P
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:45 am

► Show Spoiler
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Nolandking
Converses Frequently

Post by Nolandking » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:36 am

Tells move with his harpoon to try and free Forges using his harpoon sharp tip while carefully avoiding being snared in the spider web trap.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:38 pm

Still remaining at the back of the group, Zaks steps forward briefly to attack the spider attacking the yellow one that, if he was honest with himself, had nice things that were shiny...he liked shiny things....

Shaking his head to clear his mind, Zaks stepped quickly forward, slashed at a spider and hurriedly returned to the back of the group.

"Perhaps if we stayed together, attacked one enemy at a time and....didn't wander off...like someone did." Looking at the yellow one. "We may yet survive"

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:10 pm

Walks With The Wind recoils from the attack. As she backs away she notices another web trap and touches her torch to it. The compressed highly flammable material erupts in a spout of flame. Then just as quickly disintegrates out of existence. Walks With The Wind tries to suck the poison out as she backs away but the spider stays on her and the impact of it against her shield makes it difficult. She only gets a very small amount out. She manages to slow its effects a small bit but it is definitely in her blood stream now.

An enraged Forges for Food attacks the spider that had attacked him outside the cave. He fumbles a little as he adjusts to his confinement but manages to connect.

Laughs Creepily charges into battle being careful of his footing but doesnÔÇÖt notice any traps. He attacks the same spider as Forges for Food and finishes it off with his lance.

Tells Bad Jokes tries to free Forges for Food, but finds the tip of his harpoon ill-suited to the task. The spider he attacked last turn turns its attention to him, and the moment he is jostled his harpoon gets stuck in the web. Perhaps something with a longer edge *cough*like a dagger*cough* would do better.

Zaks finds the spider Forges for Food attacked dead by the time he gets there, so he attacks the one Tells Bad Jokes attacked instead delivering a strong slash to its side.

The spiders attack Walks With The Wind and Tells Bad Jokes but neither can get past their defenses.

► Show Spoiler
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:34 pm

► Show Spoiler
If she can lessen the effects of the venom some more, Walks will do some more sucking it out of herself.
If there is nothing more to be done about the venom, Walks will check for more traps/webbing to burn (and burn them, if any, as long as no goblin is at risk to be harmed from it) and then for a place to stick the torch where it won't go out. Else she'll just keep the spiders at bay with her shield.
If she finds such a place, she'll put the torch there very carefully and equip the axe in addition to her shield, attacking a spider with them (if she still has time enough for that).
► Show Spoiler

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:19 am

► Show Spoiler
Lastly: it would be nice if we could get some sort of "enemy status" complete with positioning or at least a counter, where we can quickly see the number of (alive, known) hostiles around, preferably with their "level of woundedness". As it is, I find myself confused about how many/where/how healthy spiders are around.
Had to read up on the last two updates twice to come to the conclusion that 2 spiders are (rightfully) left, but I dunno if the single wounded one was killed, or another one, and how badly off (or not) the two remaining ones are. Really crucial info in a fight for life and death (for the goblins), IMHO.
I can add that in future updates if you're getting confused. Although confusion would fit with the theme of being ambushed. Still, I'll avoid yielding to my inner evil. Currently:
The retreated spider - dead
Sneak attack spider 1: moderately wounded - attacking Tells
Sneak attack spider 2: unharmed - attacking Walks
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:10 am

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:19 am

Hopefully Tells tries to keep cutting out Forges with his dagger but even if he is still entangle he will try and attack (if he can reach) the Spider which was attacking him or Tells.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

Nolandking
Converses Frequently

Post by Nolandking » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:07 pm

Tells take out his dagger (....while cussing a little) and try to use the dagger to cut Forges free.

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:36 pm

► Show Spoiler
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10