GAL 9: TPo1KS (After Action Report)

Home to all current Forum Games.
Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

GAL 9: TPo1KS (After Action Report)

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:52 pm

All right ladies and gentlemen of the GAL, it's time for the Pit of A Thousand Skulls! This'll be the thread where I run the game.

"It was supposed to be a a simple dungeon resupply and trap reset run... too bad nothing's ever that easy."

I will be rolling 2d6 and a d8 against a difficulty of between 5 and 9 for most actions, with a roll of 3 representing a critical failure, and a roll of 11 representing a "natural 20". Doubles will add a "positive condition" of some kind (basically, a crit). The d8 is for criticals; 1 for a negative crit, 8 for a positive crit, the rest might indicate amounts or quality of valuables found, so even if you fail the normal roll you might sneak something out with a crit. Attacks will do 1-3 damage, plus weapon bonuses, +1 if doubles are rolled, +1 on a "negative crit" and +2 on a "positive crit". Criticals on the 2d6 and on the d8 can stack. Combat will usually be a 7+ or 8+ difficulty (increased for higher DEF ratings), though doubles will always hit. What you need to hit and be hit is listed in the writeup for your character sheet; doubles will always hit.

I'm reading +atk as "to hit only" --- if these are magic items you've found that have bonuses to hit -and- damage, say so. I'm pretty sure they're not.

When I do combat, I'm going to roll three attacks per turn for all sides, that way we can speed combat up (and you can set a condition or two for fighting, such as pressing an advantage or retreating if severely harmed). One of the difficulties I had when I tried running a dungeon a while back was that the play by post method of these games don't do well for per-turn combat, especially if you're fighting, say a huge beast with lots of HP or lots of grunts that slow things down. Combat will be done intelligently though, I won't blindly kill you if you get badly hurt and will probably allow you to run at the first sign of trouble. Running WHERE may be another problem given the nature of the Pit, but you'll take that as it comes ;)

I do not have my spritesheets and art assets handy and I'm feeling lazy. This will be a text-only run, but for those of you who know me well, you know how descriptive I can get when I have to be (so the posts will be like my Civilization posts, in condensed form).

You move at 30 feet per turn if descending, or 50 if you do a "double move" and nothing else. You move 20 feet per turn if ascending, or twice that if double-moving. The ropes and such going up and down aren't meant to take quick continual punishment (and in some places, the ropes and ladders might be damaged or destroyed). Along the way there are ledges and such where you'll find traps that have been triggered or broken; it will be your job to replace these using the tools found in the Survival Shack on the surface. The Pit itself is almost 3000 feet straight down; it was a dwarf exploratory tunnel until an earthquake up and wrecked the entire area, forcing them to move on. That's 10 turns for 300 feet, although in places (such as where zip-lines are installed) the distance might be faster, farther. I expect things to be done in 70-80 turns, and at one turn a day, this should last us the summer.

I'll probably update in the early morning hours, a little bit after midnight. If I haven't taken a break from Civ 7 and have instead moved on to its final stage, then this will be updated after that.

You'll get three or four turns to talk to The Talker (I'll doublecheck the GAL thread to see who is in before we head out) as he brings you via his wagon from the inn to The Pit, so it can be a time to get information out of him, try to barter with him, steal from him (not wise), or something before the Pit starts proper.

Current Players:

.[tabs:Braineel]

Without A Past: HP: 5/5
Is hit on (2d6): 6+
Deals 1-3 Unarmed Damage
Hits on (2d6) 8+
Wielding: Empty Hands
Wearing: Regular Clothes
Backpack: 9 Gold Pieces
Satchel: Two pair of Enchanted Wristcuffs ("Cow"), 4 Bandages (Heals 2 or 3 HP), 1 Medicated Bandage (Heals 4 HP), Trap Tool Kit
Satchel is now Full (Trap Tool Kit is medium sized)

[tabs:Nolandking]

Tells Bad Jokes: HP: 5/5
Is hit on (2d6) 6+, 7+ vs Animals
Deals 1-3 +1 Piercing Damage
Hits on (2d6) 7+
Wielding: Harpoon +1, +2 vs Enemies in Water (2H)
Wearing: Crystal Mask of Natural Stealth, Druid's Cloak (+1 Def vs Animals), Ring of Sanctuary (Displaces Aggression by 50%)
Backpack: 50' Rope, pen and ink, biscuits, water flask, Dagger (+1 to hit), 2 Alchemist Fire (+4 Atk)
Satchel: 10 Beer Stained Bandages (Heals 1-3 damage, adds possible negative status 20%)
Curse of Mudhoney: Tells Polymorphs into a badger if he drinks or touches mudhoney.

[tabs:Chuck]

Vengeful One: HP: 5/5
Is hit on (2d6): 7+
Deals 1-3 +2 Piercing, Fire Damage
Hits on (2d6) 6+
Wielding: Flaming Trident (+2 Atk, deals Fire Damage, extinguishes in water)
Wearing: Leather Armor (+1 Def), Pirate Captain's Hat
Backpack: Throwing Axe (+1 Atk), two maces (+2 ATK, one of them is lead-weighted and breaks bones on a critical)
Dwarf Keg Pack:[/i] Mattock (2H, pierces armor, +1 ATK), 50' Rope w/ very fine quality grappling hook, a stone sculpter's toolbelt (hammer, chisel, "scratching tool", thick leather gloves), beer barf towel
Satchel: 4 Bandages (Heal 2-3 damage)

[tabs:Quarg]

William The Red: HP: 5/5
Is hit on (2d6): 9+, 8+ vs Magic
Deals 1-3 +2 Slashing Damage
Hits on (2d6) 6+
Wielding: Long Sword (+2 Atk), 1-handed Iron Shield (+1 Def)
Wearing: Wizards Robe (+1 MDef), Chain Mail (+2 Def), Ring of Water Form (Assume water form for 3 turns, 15 turn cooldown)
Backpack: Some Rope, 2H Shield (+1 Def), Healing Salve (+2d3 Hp), Wand of Slumber (casts Sleep, has 3 charges), Pirate Hook (+1 Atk)
Satchel: 4 Bandages (Heals 2 or 3 HP), 1 Medicated Bandage (Heals 4 HP), Trap Tool Kit
Satchel is now Full
Withering Touch: Ranged attack, deals 1 Magic Damage, ignores Defense, 1 turn cooldown. Requires a turn to Charge. Cannot hold a charge but can overcharge; full effects of overcharging unknown.

[tabs:Patdragon]
Forges for Food: HP 6/6
Deals 1-3 +2 Blunt Damage
Hits on (2d6) 6+
Wearing: Leather Jerkin (+1 Def), "Man Purse" (Backpack)
Wielding: Mace (+2 Atk)
Backpack: Some Rope, Human(?) Bones, 3 Small Dead Rats, 2 Medium Dead Rats, Preserved Human Ear Necklace, 3 important looking letters, Wand of Mischevious Consequences (Adds ??? Status, 4 Charges, recharges on return to GAL), 1 Medicated Bandage, Trap Tool Kit
Satchel: ?Amber Bottles (3), Potion of Recovery, ?Human fingerbone with two amethysts, Elixir of Healing (recovers 1d6+3 HP), 4 Bandages

[tabs:Gathers]

Walks With The Wind: HP 5/5 || 6/6
Deals 1-3 +1 Piercing Damage
Hits on (2d6) 7+, 6+ with Axe
Wearing: Wolfskin Cloak (+1 Def, RCold), Silver Necklace (+1 HP)
Wielding: Shortbow (10 Arrows, +1 Atk)
Backpack: Skull, Some Rope, Torch (+1 Atk, 5% AddFire, 10% SelfSunder), Iron Shield (+2 Def), Axe of Knockback (+2 Atk, 15% to knock opponent prone).
Satchel: 4 Bandages (Heals 2 or 3 HP), 1 Medicated Bandage (Heals 4 HP), Trap Tool Kit[/tabs]
Last edited by Aegis J Hyena on Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:35 pm, edited 40 times in total.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Re: GAL 9: TPo1KS (Starting May 2)

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sat May 02, 2015 3:12 pm

Turn 0: Preparations 1 of 4

Turns will pass when 50% of the players +1 (so in this case, four of six) state their actions. I'm using 3.5 rules since I'm most familiar with them, giving you a move action, a "basic" (or combat) action, a "full attack" action (+1 to hit and damage but if you miss you have a -1 on the next one as you recover) or a double-move per turn.

THE SITUATION: The Talker, a grizzled old war vet who looks like he's got a side order of "personal agenda", has finally made the adjustments to his wagon and repaired what he could. The wagon looks like it is breaking down at the seams but it also looks like it's taken a lot more than it should have by any stretch of the imagination. He steps out of the Bugbear and Flea one last time and calls out to the general population. "All right you lot, those who are going to the Pit Of A Thousand Skulls, get into the front berth of my wagon and get ready! I'm leaving without you if you're not in the wagon within five minutes!"

He goes to the back of the wagon, where the stench that was trailing from it seems to have gotten bigger and bolder. The human parts a cloth, peeks in at what seems to be a cage if anyone is around to see it, and the stench is almost unbearable for a brief time. "Again? Some 'killer of men' you are, if you're soiling yourself at the sound of my voice. Although, given our past... heh heh heh." The Talker wrings his hands. "Now shut up and don't interact. You know what happened the last time, next time it will be your nose ring!"

He turns back to anyone who is around. "Five minutes and I'm moving! Get out and get in with whatever you think you'll need!"

He leaves next turn; it will take three or four turns to reach the Pit itself.

Onward to Turn 1! (Once you state your actions, that is).

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Re: GAL 9: TPo1KS (Turn 0: Preparations)

Post by nikohl » Sat May 02, 2015 3:19 pm

(His name is Forges for Food on purpose, it is in his backstory.)

Nolandking
Converses Frequently

Post by Nolandking » Sat May 02, 2015 3:35 pm

Tells get on the wagon.

OCC: forgot to put on the keeper thing that the mask power ( is If wearer of this mask is in a natural setting, like a cave or a forest or something, it allow them to blend in with the environment. Providing you don't move too much) (note to self to put that in GAL Trapper-Keeper of Knowledge)
Haven't played this signature game in a long while but I'll try it out again.

Help these poor little guys hatch.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat May 02, 2015 3:58 pm

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sat May 02, 2015 4:10 pm

Gotcha. Everything adds to attack and damage then, and I'll just up monster HP to compensate (but not by very much). Total ATT vs total DEF means excess is fixed damage each round, and I hate those kind of fixed results. I'll edit the character list to reflect things once everyone's done their actions.

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sat May 02, 2015 4:15 pm

Well, Quarg and I are waiting for a roll off on the pirate hat, though I think that's waiting on brain eel to post if he wants anything from the general loot. *taps foot impatiently*
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sat May 02, 2015 6:25 pm

No, I'm not waiting for a roll of on the pirate hat...I was supporting you when you got it damn it! Which I have said before...:wall:

Also, I don't understand why Badge decided I should carry a 2H shield versus my one handed Iron Shield which he put into storage... :roll:
(please correct)
William puts away his old shield and grabs his new one handed shield before getting on the front of the wagon.

If the human complains William will just say, "Neither of us is dumb enough to want to be in a wagon with a creature who keeps fouling himself every time you open your mouth...the problem is that if you try to do something about me...the rest of them will decide they need to do something about you..."
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sat May 02, 2015 6:49 pm

My bad, went back and looked and apparently I missed your second post to that effect.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Sat May 02, 2015 7:37 pm

► Show Spoiler

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Sun May 03, 2015 5:41 am

yes his name is forges not forages given backstory reason.

I will need a small inventory update but only have limited net currently so short posting from phone.

Forges gets on the front of the wagon near what ever is pulling it (after he's sorted out any inventory issues).
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sun May 03, 2015 9:57 am

Tells has acted, Forges has acted, William has acted. One more person officially does an action, then we move on to turn 1. The character sheets have been updated to reflect +Atk equals hit AND damage rolls. I haven't yet looked at Forges' inventory changes but I'll update to reflect once we have one more person act.

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sun May 03, 2015 10:29 am

Well Vengeful will take the pirate captain's hat and possibly the leather armor from the group loot (assuming no one else claims dibs). Then he'll join the others at the cart in brooding silence.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sun May 03, 2015 1:37 pm

Aaaand that's 4. I'll put up the post later tonight (so yes, there is still time to post for the two that haven't posted an action) when I update the Civ thread, and kill two species with one stone. :)

Braineel
Mutters to Themself

Post by Braineel » Sun May 03, 2015 3:41 pm

Without A Past will hop on the wagon and proceed to curiously inspect anything and everything within arms reach. Unless it's actively on fire, or sharp, or something.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sun May 03, 2015 7:00 pm

Turn 1: Preparations 2 of 4

THE SITUATION:

Tells Bad Jokes is the first to climb aboard the wagon, with the others quickly following suit while sorting out their gear a little bit. While William The Red hops aboard after grabbing his one-handed iron shield, he comments that "Neither of us is dumb enough to want to be in a wagon with a creature who keeps fouling himself every time you open your mouth...the problem is that if you try to do something about me... the rest of them will decide they need to do something about you." All the Talker does is roll his eyes as if to say "Been there done that, worn the goblin-skin shirt." He doesn't respond while Forges for Food gets up at the front of the wagon and Vengeful One grabs a pirate captain's hat and some leather armor.

Finally, Without A Past has a fit of curiosity and the smell from the back of the wagon prompts him to investigate while sniffing about and inspecting everything he can. He uncovers a human-sized cage in the back that is laying on its side, covered with a near-rotten old red felt cloth. The source of the smell comes from underneath. Without hears a snort, and then a grumble from the Talker, who'd just about kicked things off to get the wagon moving while the others climbed aboard. He casually turns his head and Without hides behind the cage. "I told you to make no sound, beast." The Talker grumbles, before picking up the reins and kicking the wagon into high gear. He glares at the assorted goblins for a moment before turning his attention to the path. "I have... private things in the back, goblins. Do not go looking back there, if you're fond of having a skeleton on the inside of your body. You'll find a few satchels on the side of the wagon, each of you can take one."

From Without's perspective, he hears a very quiet grumbling from under the felt and through one of the holes in it he can see a darkened form. Dim light reflects from the lantern in the back of the wagon to reflect in the creature's beady black eyes and nose ring. Without can also see that its right ear is almost torn in half; it looks like it wore a hoop earring once and it was yanked out.

Onward to Turn 2!

Satchels can hold up to one large item, 2 medium sized items, or 5 small items. Anything in the satchel can be used as a free action. Potions would be small, wands and daggers would be medium, and one handed weapons would be considered large.

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Re: GAL 9: TPo1KS (Turn 1: Preparations II)

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sun May 03, 2015 7:14 pm

Vengeful takes one of the satchels and checks to see if anything is in it but otherwise remains quiet.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Nolandking
Converses Frequently

Post by Nolandking » Sun May 03, 2015 10:05 pm

Tells also take a Satchels and wait for them to arrive at there destination.

Nolandking
Converses Frequently

Post by Nolandking » Sun May 03, 2015 10:05 pm

Tells also take a Satchels and wait for them to arrive at there destination.

Braineel
Mutters to Themself

Post by Braineel » Sun May 03, 2015 10:16 pm

Without a Past takes one of the satchels, blissfully unaware of the fact that he was just threatened, and puts his gold and lint inside. Is the satchel particularly comfortable when used as a pillow?

Edit: I thought he was noticed and had already left the back. I misread. Without A Past is, in fact, remaining right where he is. He tries giving a piece of gold to the thing in the cage.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon May 04, 2015 1:24 am

William decides to see about information. "So what more do you know about this Pit?"

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon May 04, 2015 1:27 am

Walks hurries up to get onto the wagon before it leaves, seats herself as far from the stinking cage as she can and grabs a Satchel.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Mon May 04, 2015 8:56 am

Turn 2: Preparations 3 of 4

Actions
Without hides from The Talker (8+): 4+3 = 7 (Unsuccessful)
Talker attempts to detect Without (9+): 5+2 = 7 (Unsuccessful)
---------

THE SITUATION:

While the goblins collect their (empty) Satchels for item transport, the Talker goes on to explain what he wants. Without A Past ducks down but fails to hide.

"I am trying to get... 'in' with the local goblin clans. I want you gobs to climb down into the Pit, sort the loot, and after you have your fair share you bring the rest to me so I can use it to bribe the chiefs for safe passage through their lands on a new trail for merchant wagons. I will have a reward waiting for you if you are successful." He turns back to look in on what is in the wagon, completely missing the fact that Without A Past is "hiding in plain sight" and is very bad at it. If The Talker saw him through the holes in the rotted covering and spotted him, he is not showing it. By the same token it doesn't appear as if he is trying very hard either, though, as if he thinks the goblins would be smart enough to follow his directions (so Without goes undetected... for now).

"I have also lost one of my favorite rings down there. A mischevious wizard's familiar swiped it, then died down there. Bring back the ring and I'll give you a shiny rock I found in exchange." He holds up a small red spherical stone, then lets it go. It orbits his head of its own accord. "The ring is of gold, with an emerald-cut emerald and has the words 'The Meridian Dance' engraved on it. Do NOT get it stained with blood if you value your sanity." He seems to completely zone out when he says this, as if he is having flashbacks about something. He doesn't say much in response to William The Red's question other than "The Pit is rumored to have a great treasure at the bottom. It doesn't, it's meant as a death trap. The only loot is the stuff the eventual corpses leave for people 'in the know' to come loot later." Then he shuts up.

Meanwhile, Without gives the creature in the cage a gold coin. The low light in the wagon flickers, and Without can now see what it is. It's... a minotaur. A hobgoblin-sized minotaur, but a minotaur nonetheless. He's in BAD shape with both horns nearly sanded down to nubs. Scars cover his body as if he's been constantly physically tortured, and there's a huge divot in his back close to his spine as some of the flesh were scooped out and left to heal over. His muscles are still strong and looks like he could hold his own in a fight and carry a fair bit more than any goblin ever could. A pair of iron bracers are locked around his arms, their borders glowing with runes. Another pair are around his ankles, joined together by a thick chain.

The minotaur is on his knees in the cage, since it's too small for him to stand up in and move around. When Without gives him a gold piece, his eyes go wide and he appears elated, hugging it close, palming it and making sure The Talker can't see it. Then he looks longingly at Without, his eyes pleading as he points with one finger slowly nearby. Hanging off of the horns of a small hunting trophy near the cage is a keyring with three rusted iron keys. One is to the cage, one is to his wrists, one is to his ankles... but it's in plain sight of The Talker, and is awfully close to him.

Onward to Turn 3!

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Re: GAL 9: TPo1KS (Turn 2: Preparations III)

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Mon May 04, 2015 9:14 am

Vengeful snears at Without figuring the idiot would get them all killed. But if it did come to a fight with the talker, his thirst for blood would be sated sooner. So he does nothing more and continues to watch and listen.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Quarg

Re: GAL 9: TPo1KS (Turn 2: Preparations III)

Post by Quarg » Mon May 04, 2015 9:16 am

William nods, "But who were the original "people in the know"...I mean if this was meant as a trap...who built it and why haven't they maintained it?"

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr