The Road to Adventure? - Whiteleaf Game, take 3

Home to all current Forum Games.
willpell
Banned

The Road to Adventure? - Whiteleaf Game, take 3

Post by willpell » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:51 pm

Having not come up with a better idea, Kast and Krue Eileen have met up with their longtime friend and compatriot Khrerrark, the albino Yeenagh ("Gnoll" to the ignorant) whose strange healing powers have saved their lives several times, and are now proceeding by carriage toward the fastness of the dragon-lord Commander Varshyl. Eileen and Khrerrark are riding in the carriage along with Varshyl and his driver, a plain-looking but pleasant young lady by the name of Kimren, who looks at the Yeenagh with some alarm when he first mounts the vehicle, but is silenced by a look from Varshyl. Behind them, at a discreet distance, follow two horse-sized spiders, one ridden by Kast and the other by the dwarf who's managed to win his rather begrudging approval, because of their shared interest in protecting the wilderness - and lack of interest in the prejudices of humans and other conventional-minded folk. Ryritan and his mount Xolenon are taciturn companions, saying and doing little to remind the group of their presence, though they are not as skilled in actively avoiding notice as Kast and Kzri. It remains to be seen whether the mating between the two wolfspiders will bear any fruit, but at least Xolenon got away alive, and Kzri has since had her fill of deer's blood and is now paying no attention whatsoever to him.

With the road through the forest being clear for some distance ahead, Kimren half-turns to speak to the passengers, as she's done several times already during the rather slow ride (in the dark confinement between these trees, and with the road being imperfectly paved, the carriage is unable to make real haste - and after all, your mission to investigate a dragon's assassination is hardly urgent, given that the dragon isn't getting any deader). The aroma of citrus and spearmint wafts gently from a scent jewel that hangs about her neck as she speaks. "So, lemme get this straight, Mr....Khrerrark, was it? You say you can heal the sick with a touch...but you're NOT a cleric. You worship no god in particular, and you don't actually 'cast spells'. Is that what you said a few minutes ago?"
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: The Road to Adventure? - Whiteleaf Game, take 3

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:31 am

As he rides along in silence, swaying slightly in his crosslegged position atop Kzri's back, Kast remains alert, scanning the surrounding forest for anything out of place.

Listen: 1D20+16 = [17]+16 = 33 (+ FE if applicable, +2 constructs, +4 humans)
Search: 1D20+16 = [13]+16 = 29 (+ FE if applicable, +2 constructs, +4 humans)

At least this dwarf knows the value of being a silent companion, no need to shush hum to be able to keep his own ears attuned to danger as well as monitoring the conversation between the driver and Khrerrark.

It had been a while since he'd traveled with the Yeenagh, and it was good to see his white snout again. Kast was surprised to find that he missed the rest of their companions, but it had been decided that they should split up to better achieve the ends Varshyl wanted. After Khrerrark joined them, it was decided that Kast, Eileen and Khrer should accompany Varshyl while Cassien took the ghost, savage elf and unicorn of mayhem to investigate other leads. Hopefully in doing so, they would throw of the half-orc tail that had been spotted outside the inn. The dwarf and his spider were a bit of a surprise late addition, but Ryritan explained that Xolenon was currently unwilling to leave Kzri... his continued presence and assistance in hunting would help ensure she remained well fed and protected, as well as deter other potential suitors.

((The above paragraph is my attempt at spinning the story to account for the departure of half the party... I'm assuming that Varshyl is taking us back to his stronghold to be able to investigate the scene of the attack and death of the dragon? The others could have left to look into who might have the resources and technological acumen to build such an airship. I think Amara was a 'might rejoin', if she does so in the future she could be the sole survivor from that half of the party, or was separated from them, etc. Pair bonding as I've described above doesn't really happen in RL spiders, but males of many species do take steps to 'mate guard', through prolonged copulation all the way to snapping off his organ inside the female to prevent other males from mating... ))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:13 pm

(It works well enough as an explanation. Although Amara did suggest she was more likely to make a new character than to bring back Cassien. No problem on the spider stuff; any divergences from IRL biology can easily put down to the size difference and/or the influence of a humanoid "notfood".)
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:53 pm

Eileen opens a single eye and uses it to glower at Kimren. Then closes it again and shifts her body more into the corner of the carriage seat. Her short years in actual warfare had taught her well the value of getting shut eye when one could. Although she would have preferred to cut the young woman's prattling off and tell her to focus on the road, Kimren was was Commander Varshyl's driver. Therefore, it was up to him to train her not to prattle about like some silly school girl. Eileen of course remained silent on the fact that the carriage seemed to be finding every pothole in the road just trying to find a position so her head was not banging every time they did so.

(I'm assuming that Khrerrark's answer earlier on the matter to her long passed the smell test with the world wide dragon knowledge available to her...)
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:03 pm

Strangely, your Draconic Knowledge has nothing to say about Khrerrark's abilities.
My long-neglected blog.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:31 pm

willpell wrote:Strangely, your Draconic Knowledge has nothing to say about Khrerrark's abilities.
OOC: Well she could just slice the driver's throat and see what he did about keeping her alive...but really it be too messy to be worthwhile...though it would shut her up...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:41 pm

Good thing you don't have any class features dependent on remaining Lawful aligned, if thoughts like that are in the habit of flitting through your mind... (Thoughts alone probably won't change your alignment, but ones like this certainly don't help.)
My long-neglected blog.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:02 am

willpell wrote:"So, lemme get this straight, Mr....Khrerrark, was it? You say you can heal the sick with a touch...but you're NOT a cleric. You worship no god in particular, and you don't actually 'cast spells'. Is that what you said a few minutes ago?"
''I rather believe in stength of own soul than thinking it belongs to somebody else. Instead of trading it for power - as a god would own it in the afterlife - I self use the powers of my soul. Gods do not grant favours and wishes for a soul out of goodwill...well some do, but enough also have their own interrest in mind. Believe me, with a strong soul and the knowledge how to use its powers, you can do a lot of wonders on your own. And it is good energy, not like draining life force like some warlocks or vampires do.''
:zzz:

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:27 pm

"Well that's not what the gods do, at least not according to any spiritual authority I've ever talked to. (Granted, you'd expect a priest wouldn't admit to such things, but I've also studied under a few disenfranchised clerics, who had no incentive to lie about their ex-church's closet skeletons anymore.) The gods truly want only the best for us - even the Evil gods fit that claim, according to their twisted definition of 'best' - because without our worship, they would be as nothing. What you're describing sounds kind of more like a Paladin though...empowered by the force of Good itself, without need of any intermediary. But even paladins have to follow the laws of magic, nebulous and ill-understood as they are. They can only summon a few spells a day, and they have to chant and gesture for almost all of them."
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:51 pm

Kast gets bored with listening in on their conversation about what is and isn't derived from gods. With a sigh, he urges Kzri forward while turning to address the dwarf, "Scouting ahead." He moves off the trail before overtaking the main group to avoid the beasts pulling the wagon from being spooked by Kzri. He keeps alert, looking for any one or anything out of place in their surrounding environment. goes to sleep, swaying slightly with Kzri's gait as she ambles along underneath him. Hopefully someone ambushes them soon.

Ride Check
_: 1D20+8 = [12]+8 = 20
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:58 pm

Elieen decides not to make a comment about some minds being like a leaky bucket when knowledge is like water...but now just seems to wonder what Cassien is up to at the moment.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:31 pm

► Show Spoiler
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:20 pm

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:39 pm

► Show Spoiler
The road curves around a massive oak whose bulging root bole measures a good fifteen feet across; probably some Imperial surveyor got chewed out something fierce for having put a quarter-turn to the left at a spot JUST on the far right side of the huge old tree, and doubtless some druid or another prohibited its felling, so instead they had to loop the road around in a broad blind curve. Kast sees it coming and realizes that it would make a prime spot for an ambush, but relaxes for a moment after Kzri ambles easily around the turn, and neither of them sees anything amiss in the road ahead. The spider-rider is only a couple yards ahead of the carriage when it too takes the turn - far enough that when a slightly smaller tree (an elm, for the record) topples and crashes across the road, Kast and his mount are well clear. The carriage is not so lucky, and Kimren hauls frantically on the reins in an attempt to stop the panicked horses before the entire vehicle crashes headlong into the sudden obstruction. She barely manages to turn aside and stop before there's a wreck, but in the same instant, arrows shriek out from somewhere above, striking her and Varshyl. Both slump unconscious in their seats, the arrows obviously drugged.

Inish rolls all around please, and a Knowledge: Local check for anyone who has ranks in that.
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:03 pm

► Show Spoiler
Kast, Initiative Roll: 1D20+6 = [10]+6 = 16

Know: Local = N/A

((OOC: I see that Invisible Castle is back up, but in the event it goes down again for an extended period of time, I had switched over to CoyoteCode while it was down, so that is an alternate roll site to be able to use and post to the game thread from.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:49 am

► Show Spoiler
My long-neglected blog.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:33 pm

willpell wrote:Inish rolls all around please, and a Knowledge: Local check for anyone who has ranks in that.
Nerre? Quarg? Anyone?
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:15 pm

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:28 pm

Had to spend time to figure out if Adepts got an initiative bonus...

Initiative 14
Local Knowledge = N/A

Eileen realizes something is wrong as the wagon suddenly does a slide around on the road. Being completely out of it she is only able to scramble out onto the drawbar and between the horses before considering her next move of either breathing on someone or pulling out her bow.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:49 pm

Ini 13 (I rolled 1d20 and subtracted 1 since my Dex is so low, is that right? In 2nd edition ADND Ini was 1d10 + weapon mod, so I am not sure if I got this right here. Is it higher = better here? If not, then I would have a 11 instead of the 13 (cause of the -1 from DEX)):
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4761918/

My Knowledge is +2, but I cannot use it since those +2 come from a stat and I am not trained in it.

Khrerak raises his shield to block arrows,to make it harder to hit if somebody decides to aim at him, and runs for a decent cover so he could risk taking a look on what was attacking them. But the attack being most probably being an ambush, he has not high hopes to spot anybody.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:24 pm

(Correct Nerre, Initiative is just your DEX modifier, unless something changes it. There's a soulmeld Incarnates can get a bonus from, and of course the Improved Initiative feat, and a few other things, none of which you have. And higher is always better in this edition, unless it's your opponent's roll of course.)

Init order for the round

Loren: 22
Jaguar: 23 (really, dice?)
Ryritan: 16
Xolenon: 4 (yes, really, the dice say)
Kzri: 16 - let me know, SW, if Kzri's inish mod is anything other than the standard +3 for a hunting spider of Large size.
Brobdag: 14

I'm going to assume Loren had a Ready action to fire the sleep-arrows immediately after the tree dropped, and Jaguar is just being stealthy at the moment, so both of them have had their action for the round. (You can't see any of the enemies until you at least roll a Spot check to do so, but I lack the ambition to write their inish rolls down somewhere out of your sight, so you get to know that there are three of them, just not where they are, what they look like or what they are doing.) The order thereafter proceeds as follows:

16-6: Kast
16-3: Kzri
16-2: Ryritan
14-5: Brobdag
14-0: Eileen
13-N: Khrerrark
04-3: Xolenon
23-3: Jaguar
22-2: Loren

Oh, and unless Kast botches his roll, I'm pretty sure he'll be able to make the Spot, so here's what he sees.
► Show Spoiler
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:01 pm

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:55 am

Khrerak got a 14 from his spot check (1d20+7 = 7+7 = 14)
http://www.coyotecode.net/roll/lookup.php?rollid=81208

You wrote the tree was not just rigged to fall on us. Can I roll for a spellcraft check to see if I maybe have an idea/knowledge of how it was done?

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:37 am

Nerre OOC:
► Show Spoiler
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:47 pm

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler