God School: Revival??

Home to all current Forum Games.
BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Re: God School: Revival??

Post by BeanDip » Mon May 06, 2013 7:53 pm

Will this God School be directed at people who already have some skills or people who have no skills? I ask because the God School thread on the Keenspot forums was full of already talented people who seemed to have an excellent grasp of the concepts before attending. They were all really freakin' awesome before the school yet I've just started learning GIMP and am having troubles with simple things like drawing sprites :oops:

Just wondering if there's like a minimum requirement of knowledge for attendance in this God School. Whether you're starting it at absolute zero or if we need a foundation of knowledge already prepped and if so what we should know or learn beforehand.
Last edited by BeanDip on Mon May 06, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

WhirdCheese
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by WhirdCheese » Mon May 06, 2013 9:45 pm

I doubt that they'd throw a couple of people with little experience into some of the later things they did. Though early on it seemed like everything was drawn for you.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue May 07, 2013 1:42 am

No, it will be a start-from-scratch type deal. You might be in a class with people who already have cool art skills, or already know a lot about using GIMP, but want to follow the course for some parts of it (e.g. world building / balancing stats etc.) rather than the drawing per se, but I'm hoping that people who already know stuff about each lesson will be willing to share their knowledge and provide advice of their own as well.

The first two lessons will be on free drawing and using layers to create a scene, and then arles will do a lesson on drawing up freestyle games like Memories / Escape!

After that, we'll focus on sprite-based games (though they can be equally applied to any other type of game), and use those to explore some more tools and ways of manipulating and drawing images. I will provide a good chunk of artwork for those assignments initially, but since there's a week per lesson, we'll move through getting you guys to create your own scenes fairly early on.

After that, LSN and ECR will discuss how they made their games, and then we'll have a larger 'half-way through' assignment.

From then I give up the reins to the others who will have lessons on world building, NPCs, mapmaking, animation etc. so we should end up with a pretty good toolbox by the end :)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue May 07, 2013 11:53 am

Ok, I've updated the 1st post with an updated lesson list.

How does that order look to everyone? Anything you want to change around?

Also, I still need tutors for the sections on making Monsters, Balancing the Stats and on Plot (though plot one can be dropped if no-one's too bothered about it). I don't really have time to do any more of these so if there are any volunteers who could write something up about making cool monsters and stuff then that would be ace :)

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Tue May 07, 2013 12:58 pm

EDIT: Found out the answer to my own dumb question...

Looks great to me!
Last edited by BeanDip on Tue May 07, 2013 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Tue May 07, 2013 1:03 pm

Works for me, although I haven't done my part yet. :D
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

Ratha
Whispers Softly

Post by Ratha » Thu May 09, 2013 6:00 pm

Wow, this brings back memories.

Hey, if you remember me, I'm back after 1.5 years.

So... I was wondering if I could join up into god school. As a student? I know most of the lessons already, but my skills are kind of rusty, and I could use a refresher.

That's... if you'll forgive me for leaving so suddenly and without explanation? (And without finishing the games and school I started...) Oh, and hi Thinkslogically. It's been a while, hasn't it?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri May 10, 2013 1:08 am

Holy shit ratha! You came back! :-D hope youre well?

Of course you can join up, though you'll find the first half pretty much the same as your version! It'll be great to get your input as we go through.

Great to have you back :-)

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Fri May 10, 2013 2:02 am

Ratha wrote:Wow, this brings back memories.

Hey, if you remember me, I'm back after 1.5 years.

So... I was wondering if I could join up into god school. As a student? I know most of the lessons already, but my skills are kind of rusty, and I could use a refresher.

That's... if you'll forgive me for leaving so suddenly and without explanation? (And without finishing the games and school I started...) Oh, and hi Thinkslogically. It's been a while, hasn't it?
Heya Ratha, how ya doin?
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Fri May 10, 2013 2:04 am

RATHAAAAA !!!!!!!

#RIPS OF SHIRT IN EXCITEMENT AND SCREAMS !!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri May 10, 2013 3:55 am

RATHA! You're back!

No, ofcourse we forgive you... We will, however, have to chain you to the forum now. So you don't run away again. Sorry for the inconvenience. :)

Ratha
Whispers Softly

Post by Ratha » Fri May 10, 2013 9:25 am

thinkslogically wrote:Holy shit ratha! You came back! :-D hope youre well?

Of course you can join up, though you'll find the first half pretty much the same as your version! It'll be great to get your input as we go through.

Great to have you back :-)
Thanks Thinks. I don't mind that the first half is the same as my version. I've forgotten many of my graphic manipulation skills anyhow. It's almost as if I've sent myself a lesson through time.
LooksAndSmiles wrote:
Heya Ratha, how ya doin?
Without going into details, better than I have in months. Thanks Looks.
askstoomuch wrote:RATHAAAAA !!!!!!!

#RIPS OF SHIRT IN EXCITEMENT AND SCREAMS !!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
*Is taken by surprise*

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
M0rtimer wrote:RATHA! You're back!

No, ofcourse we forgive you... We will, however, have to chain you to the forum now. So you don't run away again. Sorry for the inconvenience. :)
Oh, hi M0rtimer. Bring on the chains, I won't resist. Good luck finding all my lockpicks though :P
He has returned, one of the great old ones, and has caught up on goblins, still thinking "Holy Sonuvacrap! PsiMinMax!"

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat May 11, 2013 1:57 am

The doors are open!

Go and sign up :)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun May 12, 2013 2:14 am

Bumping this for anyone who's not seen the recruitment thread is now open! Come and join in!

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Sun May 12, 2013 7:14 am

Hey Ratha, heard a lot about you. Nice to see you are back :)

I'm Bob, I'm kind of new (Well, almost a year now but never mind) so you probably don't know me.
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon May 13, 2013 2:57 am

FAO tutors: Are you guys planning on signing up to take part in the other lessons as well or were you planning on just doing your own lesson? Either is fine, but you're very welcome to join in as students too if you want to.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Wed May 15, 2013 12:54 am

Put me up as lesson 13 tutor. :)

@Thinks: Yes, I would like to play all the other lessons.
:zzz: