The Island: OOC Thread

Home to all current Forum Games.
Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: The Island: OOC Thread

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:15 pm

@Gathers- probably not Kin's style but it may be faster just to slam the chest open on the rock there. Brutal efficiency and all. If it was breakable it would have probably already broken. Either that or just run it back to our lock pick expert and not waste your time trying.

I think we can probably just ignore the crazy guy. He is just going to get himself killed by something.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:00 am

So quick question as i examined the mushroom. Does the glue come from one single spot and can be easily plugged or covered.
And new idea could we just crawl under the cap without setting off the goo?
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:09 am

The glue is excreted from the mushroom cap, but also seems to ooze from where the mushrooms have been damaged. You guys have made an enormous mess though and pretty much everything is covered in some amount of glue now.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:10 pm

sigh... I see two options then as it sounds like it will take ages to cut through even that last post....
1. Temporarily cover them with something.
2. Try and pull them up...As ooc real life knowledge suggest mushroom have really short roots.

Actually given my digging proficiency and my masonry skills would i know how deep a mushroom roots could go in this type of rock and how easy to chisel it up and out compared to cutting through it?
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:36 pm

No, because you don't know anything about the mushrooms really. You'd guess that the rock would require a pickaxe to get through though, and that you'd probably better not dig TOO deep in case you cause a cave-in.

In completely OOC news, I really didn't expect these mushrooms to cause you guys this much trouble...

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:40 pm

That's why i feel we're missing something obvious.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:39 pm

How quickly/ much are the vines twitching? I kind of imagined them stuck to the wall so didn't move much.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:42 pm

Not fast, but definitely fats enough to reach you in a turn if you stand still.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:48 am

ok will risk what i'm planning then :)
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:07 pm

OK my pm to narshe has sat in my outbox for 4 days now so I'm guessing he's not around any more. Does anyone else want to take the spot?

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:23 am

Hey all...
I've asked Thinks for a small "catch up" as I was more behind than I thought...

Is there anything you think I should know about treasure?
I'll try and keep him basically the same character
-Best regards LAYF

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:12 pm

Welcome to this crazed group of goblins.

Off top of my head Treasure seems to turning slightly magey with illusions and such. Which he can do so many times a day for a few rounds check out his character sheet if not already (Thinks Player stats area).

Other than that quite hard to explain. As soon a write finishes their dream we should hopefully be exploring the mine, If we survive the many dangers. Jack and his plants to the east (and in the mine), these "bird things" that are arriving soon and anything else that arrives at the island.

Mushrooms squirt glues - use a wooden plank piece at the mine entrance for protection. Maybe drench in water which is in the barrel for extra anti-cohesion.
Always say to dodge drooping vines if heading east.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:50 pm

Hey LAYF! So the overall premise is:

1. You guys were slaves on a ship that wrecked on an island where a mystical treasure was rumoured to have been found deep within a mine. Through a series of nighttime visions, Writes (your Teller) has been told by a mysterious messenger of Maglubiyet that it is very important that you lot recover the treasure. Glory to Arstotzka Maglubiyet! So far, you've built fortifications at the base of the cliff near the beach, which you were ultimately forced to abandon as the enemies got stronger and you've fallen back to a more defensible and fortified location at the mine entrance itself. That's where you are at the moment.

2. Each of you have now encountered (and completed) a Dream Stone Quest. These were themed around: the "Warrior", "Farmer", "Mage", "Mother", "Builder" and "Assassin". These stones were once created to honour Maglubiyet, but the magic in them got corrupted. Successfully completing the dream quests at each stone cleansed the magic and granted the successful goblin a unique set of skills. Completing them all opened Write's path through a Dream Temple, and she's doing that now using the powers the others gained to help her out. No-one knows what will happen when she completes her quest, but the Messenger has promised Good Things.

Treasure completed the "Mage Stone" and chose the Illusion path. Obsidian Portal (where we keep the stats) is currently down, but when it comes back you should be able to see Treasure's "character sheet" and the skills / stuff he has.

3. Every day (20 turns), a new group comes to the Island. Some of them are looking for the Treasure themselves, some of them just happen on the Island. Most of them are not your friends. Today, a circle of creepy birds with a big red one in the middle have been flying over the island in perfect formation. Only Shackled has seen them so far but he's has a bad feeling from them, and you can both hear them squawking to the south. They will arrive at your mine camp very soon.

4. Unfortunately, that's not all. In the Forests, a vile humanoid plant-man called Jack is aggressively trying to cleanse the island of intruders. He has caused you guys some trouble in the past, but the group have been able to join forces with some intruders to fight off some of his larger creatures. Happily, Jack is currently recovering from a Maglubiyet-delivered batch of poisoning that hurt him badly enough to buy you some peace for the last 2-3 days. It was Write's last prayer action before heading into the dream, and since she's the only one who gets their prayers answered, you've been on your own since she left. You know Jack's not dead and very p*ssed off though, and may be gathering his army again (there were drums beating in the forest this morning).

5. Otherwise, you can also do whatever crafting takes your fancy (although you can get reasonable loot just from corpses), and new, useful things sometimes wash up as flotsam if you check the beaches each day. I think you've been more or less forced back over the course of the game though. Oh! And you each have teleportation ("camper") stones that will personally teleport you from any outdoor location back to wherever the main ("camp") stone is. It's currently at your mine-entrance camp, and only works for one person at a time. Also, you can't use it to teleport large items around the place.

I think that more or less covers us. If there's anything else you want answers to just ask and I'll point you in the right direction :) I might let the players answer your questions on game lore though cos I don't want to accidentally spoil anything!

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:16 am

Thank you, both :)

I've posted an action I think makes kind of sense... Will see if it gets med killed :p
-Best regards LAYF

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:22 am

Welcome to the game, LAYF. :)
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:10 am

So... any chance that this game (or any of the others you were GMing, TL) gets continued? I was really curious what would happen, once we got all the gems together and "solved" the teller's dream. I also wanted to learn what was up with Jack, why he was so hostile.
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:18 am

Urgh. yeah...
I would love to say that this'll come back to life along with LotMK because I hate that they're not finished, but realistically, I just don't have the time/energy to run the art-based games with the job I have. Spending an hour or two at night in photoshop is just too much unfortunately.

So it's up to you guys - if you want to call this done, I'll happily answer questions about what was going on. If you want to continue waiting on the small chance that things change and we can pick back up, then we can do that too, though it's probably quite unlikely at this point.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:58 pm

I've already messaged you my questions a while back... If you don't foresee any chance of it coming back I'd love some answers!

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:35 am

Can you maybe, please, re-post your questions here, then, Rodgeir, so we can all see them (and the answers from TL) ? :)
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:05 am

My questions were mostly Write related. I was curious what would happen to her after the dream and how each choice in the dream impacted what happened to her. It would have been her chance to do something other than build horrible, horrible altars to Mags!

TL answered that she was hoping the game would come back some day and I opted to wait, but that was more than six months ago.

I am still very interested though!

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:24 am

I would like to know what the treasure was and if the game would have ended when/if we had found it. And/or if we would have been able to leave the island eventually.

Also, I would like to know how we were supposed to defeat the increasingly difficult enemies (higher numbers, higher difficulty) each day. I feel like towards the "end" of the game (the latest days we had) we tended to end up spending so much time fighting them (since each round of combat was a turn) that IMHO we inevitably would have run out of time to do anything else, like healing up, preparing defences for tomorrow's fight, explore, etc. Did we do something wrong? I know I had Kin make a lot of defensive gear (the leather helmets, bracers, armour, ...) but that would only help keep the goblins alive longer, not kill the enemies faster. I suppose creating offensive gear might have been more efficient. :shrug:

Oh, and I would like to know what the various writings were about. some riddle (something with keelhaul?) we found in the screen with the fish pool and some soggy book that was unreadable by the time we found it. Were we supposed to get magic spells other than by experimenting? I remember write found that one spell scroll with 3 uses (something with wind?), would there have been any way to learn that spell permanently?

Did we miss many things that would have been useful to us? I remember something about various flotsam, like that chest that the weird old man tried to claim for himself.

What about the small boat, would that have taken us anywhere we wouldn't have been able to reach otherwise?

And yeah, I would also like to know what kind of benefits (except the individual ones) we would have gained from re-activating ALL the gems/magic stones.
Did you have some sort of contingency plan, if one of us had died before activation their correspondent stone (similar to like badge's char died, but lucky for us AFTER he did the warrior dream and successfully completed it)?
What would have happened to a dreamer if enemies had found them? Would they have been able to simply kill them, like some adventurer did with one of the lizard folk?
And I get that the ones who were dreaming "for" a specific stone could not be moved, but... could we have moved Write, while dreaming?

How much would ol Mags have intervened for us, and by doing what (the deity doing stuff, not us)?
I remember we tried to appease him in various ways, which seemed to work. I just never got a good feel for whether or not it was enough and whether or not it was "worth" the time invested.

I do remember getting kind of frustrated by not being able to do:
a) withdraw to a defendable position and re-enforce it to ensure survival
b) know the whereabouts of friends (the lizard folk) and enemies (the tree-stump-swamp creature, for example) and/or when how they fought and/or died for sure
c) not miss out on anything useful (like various stuff that the ocean might have brought to the beaches)
"sufficiently" at the same time.

Please don't get me wrong, it was a great game, and it was super interesting to see all the changes that happened in our absence (e.g. the increasing deterioration of the various corpses) and I would have loved to play it until the end (either Kins or the games), but at times I felt like my char was sorely lacking the ability to do everything I wanted, or at the very least keep her charges (the other goblins and later also the lizard folk) safe, though I suppose that was an innate "problem" with her want to protect everyone and the nature of the game. :lol:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:08 am

Oh, that reminds me. Regarding flotsam - Write found a brass orb with animals on it that was magic. She never had time to really use it but I am curious what it did!

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:33 am

Yup, that's a lot of questions!

Ok, a few answers to kick us off:

1. Just like the others, Write would have received some kind of power based off of how she tackled the challenges. I.e. if she'd gone in all aggressive, she'd probably have come out with some offensive skill. She was more of a pacifist though, so shed probably have ended up with something more like the ability to charm / manipulate people with magic (like suggestion spells or similar). The amount of power she'd have got would depend on the number of scenes she successfully got through using either her wits or the stones from her companion's skills. Each room had a theme based on the activated stones, and I think Write was doing pretty well at getting through without too much trouble.

In addition, once she'd got through the challenge, the other reward would have been the activation of each of the dream stones to form a protective barrier of some form around the island. That would have helped a bit against invaders.

2. You were never, ever supposed to be able to do everything. The game was intended to force you to choose between priorities and there was simply no way to do everything you wanted. There was a break in new arrivals every 5 days tho, to give you guys some time for other activities.

3. Heading straight into the mine was always an option and you could have holed up in there rather than staying outside and doing the dream stones and stuff. It would have cut you off from the outside island, and might have been too much of a sacrifice / risk early in the game, but it was probably the most defensible area and would likely have been a good place to hide out next for you guys.

...more later.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:18 pm

yay, answers! Are you gonna make another post, or just edit the last one, when you get around to adding more info? :)
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:18 pm

Oh aye, this :lol: Id forgotten again, but I'll add another post when I update.