Trinity Isles OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: Trinity Isles OOC

Post by Dlover » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:46 am

(I don't really expect anything anyway. :p)
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:49 am

1 Move would prob be fine, but it would need to be quite weak. The Combat Edges are all either Status Moves, or max DB5 damage.

I'm still voting for the Skill Stunt idea though. Except for Alex - immunity to fall damage is perfect for him :lol:

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:48 am

"Come at me, gravity!"
- Alex, shortly before being crushed by a falling rock. :p

(I was going to go for something like "I have mastered the tuck and roll technique!" But then I went to see if there was actually a quote I could use and that phrase is related to... Actually, I couldn't tell whether it was cigarettes or drugs. Same thing, really.)
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:42 am

Doing homebrew edges does sound like fun, but I'm not sure I'd trust myself to A: think of fun/interesting and fitting homebrew edges for everyone and B: make sure that all these edges stay somewhat "balanced" rather than have one edge be "better" than the others.

Giving out a free skill stunt sounds like it could be fun, though. You guys feel free to make suggestions for what you think would be a good homebrew edge for yourself/others if you have them, and I'll consider your Christmas list later today or tomorrow. :roll:

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:50 am

Well, I was thinking something to improve/emphasise Izzy's musical ability would be nice. So either Skill Stunt: Charm (Guitar), oooor....I dunno, some kind of buff that only applies while wielding my guitar? Like my Musician Songs last 2 rounds instead of 1. Or I can use them as a Swift Action whenever (without having to use a Sonic Move that turn). Just something to make them more usable would be nice, since at the moment I'm limited by my lack of AP and/or good Sonic Moves.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:46 am

If we're going with Skill Stunts, I'd probably go with Skill Stunt: Focus (Resisting Nihilego feedback) :P

I had a couple thoughts on customized edges, though:
► Show Spoiler

Natrivv
Chronically Blathering

Post by Natrivv » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:36 pm

For a skill stunt, I'd probably go with Skill Stunt: Medicine edu (stabilizing traumatic wounds) Like gun shots, severed artery, ...explosing rock people :P Mostly because of the soilder she saw shot did give her a nice bit of character growth and it carrying the growth over to her skill set would be cool.

as for edges maybe something like
► Show Spoiler
I can think of others, but they just sound to strong for what should be a little bonus

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:59 pm

Koa's seems really powerful, espessially since it's static, easy to use, and is basically able to use an eot move as a free action by spending only 1 ap. It is above Haley's enduring bloom, which is a feature.

Haley...has many interests which does not help with selection. She has nothing to note combat wise, but I think pokespeak would interest her the most. Edit: and it makes sense because she is studing pokemon and might eventually learn how to speak to them.

Haley: Poke Whisperer: Able to speak to and understand pokemon.

Alex: Fall of Faith: Immune to fall damage. (Enough said)

Edit: names!

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:06 pm

Oh yeah, obviously if that suggestion is too much then it can be toned down to just the +1 CS for Intercepting. But in this case I made that an option because +1 CS for Koa is a piddly 2 points of Defense, since he gets most of his tankiness from DR and not stats.

@Natrivv, I would make Protective Fate even better than that:

Irene
Protective Fate: Whenever you use Probability Control on a Medicine Education check or an Intercept check, you may re-roll twice and keep the higher result.

Though, if you're going the healer route, are you sure Sage is the right class for Irene? There's a playtest out there with a Medic class, if you'd be more interested in that.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:35 pm

SuperVaderMan wrote: Versatile Musicality: For 2 AP you may trigger a Musician Song as a Swift Action, with an Area of Effect of Burst 4. Additionally, when you trigger a Song by using a Move with the Sonic Keyword, the Song costs 0 AP to use.
Oooh, I like that! It's powerful, but I'll still be limited by the Scene/Scenex2 freqs of my Sonic Moves, so it's not like I'd be spamming the Songs constantly. I'll just be able to use them in combat more freely without draining my AP. And the 2AP cost for the Swift Action Song means I won't be able to spam it, but I can use up my saved AP in important situations.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:38 pm

Even with that it's on par to enduring bloom. Which I can activate at most 2xscene and only one pokemon per scene and only if they get attacked by certian se attacks, and I can only fet 2 cs if its sunny. While yours is more or less static. If you put 2 points of defence in def that means you have 7 total since trainers are base 5 (except hp which is 10). Only boon I get that you won't is temp hp (which is so low it doesn't really matter).

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:06 pm

It's already established that while if I end up making homebrew edges for everyone I'd want them to be somewhat comparable to each other, that core edges and feats vary greatly in how useful they are... And that enduring bloom is trash tier and not really worth comparing to. :roll:

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:08 pm

To be fair, that's more down to Enduring Bloom being a crappy Feat :roll:

But yeah, I think Vader's is actually pretty balanced (if you ignore the 1AP for +1CS part). Since it only triggers on Intercepts he's basically giving up his entire turn to get it. And even if he blocks a little extra damage he'll still be getting beat up on, which isn't great for longer fights. Maybe cap it at +3/4CS though, so it doesn't get too ridiculous.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:38 pm

A cap of +3 cs would work.

I think Enduring bloom would be better if it didn't require the attacks be se. I found a niche way on how to use it since it activates before damage dealt.

Edit: should I name my suggestions and put them in bold as well?

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:48 pm

Enduring Bloom seems mainly useful for high DEF/SDEF Pokemon honestly. Since then the super-effective damage isn't quite as bad as it would be otherwise. And the Temp HP goes further too.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:50 pm

I wouldn't agree with a cap on Valiant Defense because, as Dusk pointed out, Koa has to get beat up on to activate it. The Edge already has a "cap" in that Koa won't want to jump in front of any more attacks after taking a few hits.

I do agree that just +1 CS would be more appropriate, though

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:54 pm

It also works if you have mirror coat/counter and/or brace items because it resists the damage after the fact.

Anyways I bolded my suggestions but I have no idea how good they are (except alex's which is perfect)

Natrivv
Chronically Blathering

Post by Natrivv » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:02 pm

SuperVaderMan wrote: Though, if you're going the healer route, are you sure Sage is the right class for Irene? There's a playtest out there with a Medic class, if you'd be more interested in that.
If you can point me in the right direction I'll look the medic class over, but there are several variants of medic out there. Some that were broken, others that were very, meh.

As for Sage to me it reflects Irene's growth in terms of power. Warper are things she did, or does unconsciously, like her probability control, randomly getting out of an attack. Where as Sage are things she does with more intent, creating barriers of psychic energy to prevent damage from being done, or once she gets blessed touch psychically undoing damage.

Warper is self preservation,
Sage is her will

Plus cheerleader and Sage actually synergize pretty well for preventing damage. With Commander's voice making her order a swift action Irene's generic turn is 13 damage reduction, +1 to evasion, and +2 to save checks

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:10 pm

...Doesn't sage require mystic connection?

Natrivv
Chronically Blathering

Post by Natrivv » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:13 pm

nope sage is pretty lax for a mystical class
Sage
[Class] [+HP]
Prerequisites: Novice Occult Education
At-Will ÔÇô Standard Action
Target: An ally within 5 meters
Effect: The target gains Damage Reduction equal to your Occult Education Rank doubled or their Tick Value, whichever is higher, for one full round.

Note: Multiple uses of Sage from different Trainers do not stack on one target.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:14 pm

Natrivv wrote:If you can point me in the right direction I'll look the medic class over, but there are several variants of medic out there. Some that were broken, others that were very, meh.
September 2015 Playtest packet

You should have seen it already, right? It includes the nerfed version of Cheerleader we decided not to implement, because it was bad.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:20 pm

Also @Burns, I would say "no" to that, personally. While not mechanically powerful, it would be annoying as a GM to have Haley trying to chat up literally every pokemon. Also it's falling into the PTA trap of 'narrative feats' that the devs did away with when they made PTU.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:23 pm

Phoenix could probably use a skill stunt for getting pokemon to join him using charm?

Or maybe something to give small extra effects to some of the dark type moves he knows? A weaker version of Flip Out? (Maybe require him to have to spend one AP and/or make the special effect 2x scene or something like that, to make it non-op) Would that be doable?
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:30 pm

SuperVaderMan wrote:Also @Burns, I would say "no" to that, personally. While not mechanically powerful, it would be annoying as a GM to have Haley trying to chat up literally every pokemon. Also it's falling into the PTA trap of 'narrative feats' that the devs did away with when they made PTU.
Ah I didn't think of that. Hmm. Anything you would suggest for an upcoming jack of all trades?

Natrivv
Chronically Blathering

Post by Natrivv » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:33 pm

oh, yeah I willfully forget that exists because of what they did to cheerleaders lol, A nerf to balance I don't mind since cheerleader is pretty powerful, but they destroyed the class. As for the medic, I don't really care for it, feels very haphazard and situational. Not to mention the money sunk into having the items on hand, and to set up field clinics and such. Just not something I'd enjoy rping in it's state of being.

As for Haley maybe something like
glowing aura: Pokemon within 4 meters can use status type status moves as if under the sunny condition. This effect applies to trainers features as well.