Trinity Isles OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: Trinity Isles OOC

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:10 am

So I was browsing the PTU Hombrew stuff, and came across this pretty cool Travel system: http://forums.pokemontabletop.com/topic/30130258/1/

It basically uses a Hex map, with each tile having a different terrain. Some terrains are easy to traverse, while others are difficult. And every time you enter a Hex, the GM rolls an Encounter based on the terrain. There's also a foraging mechanic, starvation rules, getting lost, etc...

Obviously it might not be a perfect fit, but I figured Mort might want to borrow one-or-two elements (like the extra difficulty moving through forests/mountains). And the Encounter tables would certainly make travel more interesting than our "roll Per, fight/ignore Pokemon, repeat" method :roll:

((One thing I did notice that was missing was a Road movement modifier. Maybe -1 Movement Cost, minimum 1? So a Grassland Road would still be 1, but a Mountain Road would be 2, etc.))

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:53 am

It's pretty cool, and maybe I'll adapt to put some more "concrete" distances between cities... But one issue with it (right now, at least) is that the territory you're exploring is very much known. That'd probably change if you go to smaller islands, or go deeper into the wilds rather than stick "relatively" close to the roads... But I'm not sure what else it'd fix besides giving a bit more "liberty" on how to travel, and on putting down more concrete distances- In truth there already is "varying encounters"... At least, I like to think there are- In truth, I do occasionally only give a list of X kind of pokemon appear, because in most instances the pokemon you find are actually just friendly... Occasionally, they have something more interesting attached to them, too, but in truth the fact is that in 90% of instances, unless the pokemon are immediately hostile or you guys are interested in them, there's not going to be a fight. :roll:

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:13 pm

To be fair, the Homebrew's creator says himself that not all of the Encounters are instant fights. It's up to the PCs how they handle things, same way we do it.

I just think it might make things a bit easier on you. Instead of having to decide whether we get an "interesting" encounter, or just some random wild 'mons, you can put everything in a table and leave it to chance. Maybe put the more interesting stuff/rarer 'mons higher up the table, and give a bonus to the roll based on Perception (i.e. +1 if someone in the group rolls over 12, +2 if over 20, etc)?
► Show Spoiler
That said, I am more interested in the Hex-movement part of it. Just because it would let us keep track of where we are, and where other points of interest are.
For example, if Murkoff is one hex, we could say that river and bridge with the gang kids was in the hex directly to the west, just outside the city. The Plasma facility could be 3 hexes west and 2 north. And the Arceus-tree-shrine 3 hexes north of there.

Plus it would help you keep track of how many encounters each group gets when moving between cities.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:36 pm

Yeah, what I should probably have been more clarifying about, that is already happening to an extent- It's just that the list is heavily biased towards "generic encounters", because I already throw enough story-based shit your way that having a good bit of encounters be "special", too, would be a bit much. In my opinion, at least. :roll:

I understand the hex map, though, and like I said that could be interesting to create and hence give a better general overview of everything, make stuff more "concrete" like I said, rather than just "X hours in that direction, X hours in that"... Except it'd take time to make- Something I don't have in massive abundance at the current time, sadly. :roll:

((Maybe it's something I'll mess around with my free time, though... I found this, which would seem perfect for it.))

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:30 pm

....good point. I should've guessed that you'd already have that stuff sorted :lol:

Yeah, maps are hard enough to figure out even when your time isn't limited. I'd offer to help out, but I figure you've probably got a pretty good idea of the world layout already and I'd just put everything in the wrong place :roll:

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:32 pm

Pretty curious about Numa and Tex's auras. And hey, its actual function comes in use here! I can use it to check for deceitful or negative intentions!

Also, don't worry, I don't intend to ask for aura of every person we see. Just the significant ones or ones I need to read the intentions of. So you don't need to come up with a dozen auras when Alex walks through the street. :p
Though he'll probably have quite the headache seeing many people's auras.

Actually, since Aura Reader gives that indication of intentions, does it give any bonus to intuition checks for that? I don't see anything specific, but maybe it'd work like a Skill Stunt?
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:15 am

Nah, that's definitely fair enough. I'll include them in the next update.

And... Maybe? I figure it's more of a "general intent" kind of indicator- Darker auras will generally mean bad intentions, lighter auras will usually mean good intentions. Although that's far from being always super exclusive: "I'm gonna beat you up, but I'm gonna do it for the grace of god so I'm righteous!". Intuition will serve to give a more accurate portrayal as to their intentions.

(It's a great "bullshit" detector, though.)

Also, concerning the map idea, once I get around to it... I was thinking that generally, a "day" as it described would be 8 hours long? Allows me to make things a bit longer, since things would be rather... Clumped together if one could move an average of 6 tiles per day. :shifty:

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:10 am

That's a fair decision. I can effectively account for any information the auras provide myself, anyway.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:22 am

M0rtimer wrote: Also, concerning the map idea, once I get around to it... I was thinking that generally, a "day" as it described would be 8 hours long? Allows me to make things a bit longer, since things would be rather... Clumped together if one could move an average of 6 tiles per day. :shifty:
6 tiles a day seems pretty on point to me. 12 hour days and 6 mile wide tiles give an average speed of about 3mph, which is the same walking speed Google maps uses.

That said, 6 Overland is technically above average in terms of Trainer movement. Someone with Pathetic/Untrained Acrobatics/Athletics (cough Alex) is only going to be moving 4-5 tiles a day, or 2-2.5mph. And Google maps tends to underestimate walking speed (when I use it, at least). So yeah, maybe 8 hour "days" would work better. We could say the other 4 hours are taken up with rest breaks, setting up camp, foraging, Pokemon battles, etc.

Or you could increase the size of the tiles, if you want to spread things out? 8-10 mile diameter instead of 6 could work. Or ~12km, if you want to stick with metric :P

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:09 am

Honestly, I was mostly just worried that distances would be too short to effectively make a nice map- That'd without taking some liberties important locations would only be a couple of tiles away, rather than the rather large area one would have to cross between them... Which admittedly, might just mean that my internal map was off in the first place. :roll:

I'll make it work once I get around to it, though.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:02 am

Well, you've got full control over the distances and stuff. You can always just play around with the tile sizes/travel speed until you get something that works.

Speaking of maps, could you repost the old one you put in the thread? I went back to look at it, but it seems it got caught up in the Photobucket paywall disaster :roll:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:14 am

Here you go, my extremely shitty map:
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:40 pm

Found a pic that is more like how I imagine Bjorn.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:48 pm

Sorry double-post:

Burns and Alex, have you applied your milestone from this yet? (Whats it called?) If so, I should probably apply mine before any potential combat starts.
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:21 am

Yeah, we've applied it. I called mine Plasma Lab, Burns called it "The Lab of Genesect," so basically call it whatever you feel is appropriate.

Also, it's good that Alex is such an iconic character that you remember his name over mine. :p
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:40 am

Partially. I didn't know wjat to get for my feat so I left it blank.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:44 am

Dlover wrote: Also, it's good that Alex is such an iconic character that you remember his name over mine. :p
Fuck sorry mate, my mind is a wreck by 7pm!
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:29 am

Nah, I'm not bothered by it.
My game:

My characters:

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:53 am

Question, I noticed with my milestone I am now level 10 and have 11 features and 11 edges (+2 bonus edges with level 10 to make 13 total.) Almost everyone has more features and edges than me (see Drake, Alex, Izzy for example), but it says I have zero remaining. Am I doing something wrong?
I take it we are supposed to have 11 as we have 9 at level 10, +2 for homebrew = 11. Maybe some people not realise the homebrew features have been built into our sheets and don't need to be added manually? (See remaining features calculation.)

Having received a milestone and reaching level 10, Bjorn gains +1 SDEF, the bonus +1 SATK and because he is level 10 he chooses 2 bonus edges. He takes Adept and Expert Perception and Expert Survival with his 3 edges. With his homebrew feature he takes Advanced Capture Techniques Rank 3, Snare and False Strike being the Capture Techniques.
► Show Spoiler

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:44 am

Drake is a Hobbyist, and each rank of Dilettante lets him take 1 feature and 1 edge from a list. He also has 2 Researcher classes, and whenever you take the Researcher class it lets you take 1 feature from one of the branches you pick. He also probably has the General feature you can choose to get at level 5, as opposed to the stat bonus.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:14 am

?? Alex doesn't have more features than Bjorn. Alex even has 10 features listed, while Bjorn has 11, but that's a matter of the sheet I'm using not counting the free training feature.
My game:

My characters:

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:57 am

Yeah, some people's sheets calculate things slightly differently when it comes to the bonus feats.

In Izzy's case, my "Features Remaining" cell doesn't take into account the bonus Training feat we all start with, or the bonus General feat you can get at Lv5. In total I've got 12 feats: 1 Training + 1 Lv5 General + 2 Lv5/10 Homebrew + 8 normal progression. Bjorn took the bonus stats at Lv5, so he doesn't have the General Feat, meaning he's only at 11. Edges we're even on, since we both took the bonus Lv10 ones.

In Drake's case it's like Vader says. Plus he's just a hoarder when it comes to feats/edges :roll:

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:17 pm

Ah my bad, I forgot about class specific bonuses. Thanks for the clarification everyone :)

Sorry Dlover, I was looking at an older sheet of yours where you had Commander and 14 features counted, not current sheet (I think it was doubling up on your bonus feats anyway now I look at it properly).
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:03 pm

Maybe, but Commander does give a bunch of extra features. I think the base class gives one, and then that one gives another two, and then there's probably more. I thought I removed the link to my old sheet from that first post, though, so shouldn't it only lead to the current one?
My game:

My characters:

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:49 pm

I was going through past viewed google sheets.
► Show Spoiler