Trinity Isles OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Re: Trinity Isles OOC

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:03 pm

I just got another flash of inspiration for an idea, so maybe we won't have to? :lol:

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:58 pm

Yeah that was part of what I was going for, but posting from a phone doesn't lend itself to go all the way with it :P
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:02 pm

! I had a crazy idea. The tree is arceus. Or arceus is trapped in there. Either one.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:19 am

Hey Dlover, I still need that perception roll from you, too.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:04 am

... Huh. I didn't even see you ask, sorry.

Perception: 5
Intuition: 17
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:12 am

This update definitely not delayed for what must feel like a thousand years because RL.

Also definitely didn't sleep a day on two issues of whether or not I'd pull things into a battle by "no fault of the trainers" and if I'd have Giratina show up for a second to say "sup" and then fuck off again.

I suppose the former thing is something I should ask your guys opinions on while i'm at it- It's obvious that for many scenarios, the RP thing to do will be to try and avoid a battle, but OOC you want a battle to occur to gain exp... So how do you guys feel about "We tried to do things peacefully, and we even had good enough rolls/rp for it, but things still went south" kind of scenarios? Or does it vary in the context of "I don't mind if we're at full health, but if we're injured like we are we probably want to avoid that".

It should be noted that I think that, in a game setting like this at least, it's also possible to "resolve things peacefully by combat"... What I basically mean is that even though there is a fight, the two fighting parties end up as potentially even better friends as that just diplomatics could have gotten them. Hermes is actually a really good example of this- If you'd had ended up fighting him, defeating him, and then showing mercy... He'd have realized you could not be "demons", for they would not do such a thing. A more realistic scenario would have been a "time trial", though, where you'd need to hold out against Hermes (and potentially Gaia) for X amount of turns until the portal opened and they HAD to leave. And in a world where people get KO'd before dying, and recover from this with basically no injuries except some small ones that usually take only a day or two to heal at most... Combat is probably not considered as "bad" as it is in the real world.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:24 am

M0rtimer wrote:Combat is probably not considered as "bad" as it is in the real world.
I can vouch for this. Alex has been shot, eaten, fallen off cliffs, blasted by various pokemon attacks, and he's actually completely fine, if a little mentally scarred.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:10 am

I was fully prepared for the only solution to Hermes was to actually fight him. It's nice that convincing Gaia was another solution to this encounter however, so we avoided fighting with our injured pokemon and some trainers.
I pretty much expect that some encounters can't be won by talking. Taking Hermes as an example, we pretty much kept telling him that everything he put his faith into is not worth putting so much faith into, he should consult us or our superiors in this matter. No matter how nice and diplomatic we tell him this, it's still going against all he knows and why should he accept that? I'm sure without Gaia we could never have suceeded the diplomatic route even if we had rolled 30 ten times in a row. It could still be beneficial to us to have rolled so well and delayed him so much that we only had to fight him for 4 rounds before he had to go through the portal, rather than maybe 15 rounds if we had rolled badly on the attempts.

I also like the idea of battles just being very loud arguments xD
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:13 am

Add that to the list of fights Alex can't win, then. He prefers not to raise his voice, since being loud just makes the frail man look silly. :p
My game:

My characters:

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:39 am

You can just have your skarmory scream for you :P
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:55 am

That's a good point. I think I can probably have him do most negotiations for me. A skarmory with a taste for human flesh is a pretty effective negotiator. :P
My game:

My characters:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:02 am

When the enemy is dead you've won the argument, right?

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:08 am

When they're dead And all the evidence is eaten by a big metallic bird.
My game:

My characters:

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:05 am

Honestly I think it was mostly Dusk that didn't want things to turn into a fight :P . I would've been fine with it, especially since it looked like a fight was gonna be unavoidable for a while there.

Well, it would have sucked a little bit. Dusk brought up a good point about the ramifications of failing diplomacy. We thought that if things devolved into a fight then it would severely mess up relations with a whole other dimension of god-people by making them think we're a bunch of conniving demon-people. It seemed like we were being given a choice of "let the tree get destroyed and screw things up on a potentially cosmic scale, or make enemies of Giratina and all of his followers forever." Given the situation we couldn't really expect things to have resolved themselves via 'diplomacy through combat'. If I'd known that was an option I wouldn't have been as adamant about talking it out.

So it wasn't so much that we'd just gotten out of a boss fight and didn't want to jump into another (though that might have contributed a little), it was more that this specific situation was looking a bit hopeless if we couldn't work the diplomacy thing.

Besides all that though, with the 3 misc exp, Koa is now level 12! :D

Koa gains a point in Defense, increases Survival to Master rank, and strengthens his bond with Diancie by gaining the Royal Privilege edge.

And I also wanted to ask, while I'm leveling up, could I could take the +2 Skill Enhancement bonus I gave to Combat and shift that over to Focus?

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:38 am

I feel a bit annoyed that we get 3 misc xp.. damn you overseer for making sure I don't get a level and I stay further behind Koa!
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

Natrivv
Chronically Blathering

Post by Natrivv » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:12 pm

Maybe it's because my Gm style is similiar to yours, but I don't mind when things go astray to what I want. It makes the world seem more real. Reality doesn't bend to the characters wishes (unless you have probability control o:) ), and so things will happen outside of our control and our strength level. A person with Palkia's powers freely warping people through space, God of an alternate dimension, Spark, Overseer, and probably Arceus should feel like overpowered beings to us.

On average most people only have 1 gym badge. Is it frustrating to be in a spot where it seems impossible, yes, but that's also good motivation to keep training and getting stronger for our characters.

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:55 pm

SuperVaderMan wrote:Honestly I think it was mostly Dusk that didn't want things to turn into a fight :P . I would've been fine with it, especially since it looked like a fight was gonna be unavoidable for a while there.
To be fair, I was mostly thinking in character. Well, 70-80%, at least. OOC I'm totally fine with beating the shit out of random people for exp :lol: :P

But yeah, I was trying to look at things from Izzy's perspective. She's not a pacifist or anything, but she is kinda naive. Which basically makes her inclined towards solving problems without violence, even if that's not necessarily the best idea (hence why she caught most of her 'mons via talking). Plus she kinda liked Gaia and didn't want to burn any bridges. Not to mention that befriending Prometheus' family might end up being useful in the future, if we ever get a chance to talk to him.

Didn't think about the "honorable combat" diplomacy method. In hindsight I maybe should've, since Hermes has some knight-like qualities going on. Izzy might not have been too happy if a fight had happened, but I'd personally be alright with whatever honestly.

By the way, does this 100xp for 'mons only apply to the ones that were out? Because I think I had Maku and Eddie out, but I'm not entirely sure....

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:01 pm

And I also wanted to ask, while I'm leveling up, could I could take the +2 Skill Enhancement bonus I gave to Combat and shift that over to Focus?
Sure.
By the way, does this 100xp for 'mons only apply to the ones that were out? Because I think I had Maku and Eddie out, but I'm not entirely sure....
Any pokemon is fine. This is my "Giving exp for winning things through diplomacy" thing I had talked about earlier.

Natrivv
Chronically Blathering

Post by Natrivv » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:27 am

So I finshed leveling up Irene the 3 misc exp pushes her to level 10.
After dealing with Giritina's followers/worshipers and learning about a third dimension Irene has a much stronger grasp on other worlds making adapt at occult education
Further responding to her desire to protect Irene's psychic powers can now form a Sacred Shield letting her create a reflect and lucky chant blessing to help protect people fighting
she gets +1 hp from sacred shield and +1 speed from leveling up.

Ochrana and Cygnus get 50 exp each for actually watching the whole lets be diplomants, and for being cute in general.

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:57 pm

Zeke gets 27xp, going up to Lv24. He gains +1SPD, and learns Swift (giving him a much needed ranged attack).
Nate earns 25xp, hitting Lv21 and getting +1HP.
Eddie gets 22xp, earning Lv24 and +1SATK.
And finally, Kay gets the remaining 26xp, but sadly no levels. Yet...

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:00 pm

So, the forum just hit the shitter for a moment... Just as I was about to post my update, of course. >_<

Guess I'll redo it tomorrow... Don't be surprised if it's surprisingly shit, I guess, cuz I won't feel like writing the same shit twice.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:03 pm

Always save just incase? Fortunally i have hrome so i just hit backwards.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:06 pm

Yeah, I tried that, but with the forum dying just a couple minutes the page wouldn't properly reload and it got deleted... Should I have saved it externally..? Probably, just in case, but how was I to predict it was gonna go down at just the wrong moment..? :shrug:

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:10 pm

I always Ctrl+C my whole post right before submitting for exactly this reason :lol:

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:15 pm

Ouch, having the forum freak out there really sucks.
My game:

My characters: