Trinity Isles OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Re: Trinity Isles OOC

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:17 am

Also, Synch, I'm guessing you're mostly considering the situation one in which Bjorn would watch from the sidelines, but not really see the need to participate..?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:41 am

Dusk, feel free to give me a perception roll as well, to see if Izzy can hear anything about what's going on in addition to her wind senses...

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:46 am

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:42 am

Natrivv, Irene should have had enough time to try that.

Do you wish to do so?

Natrivv
Chronically Blathering

Post by Natrivv » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:45 am

To clarify I do want to try, but the other trainer should be at least taken hostage first.
I know that strictly speaking, I could attempt ally switch when she saw the hand, but that would be a level of control of her 6 day old powers Irene still lacks. So I'm using this moment to show that she's still learning to control them

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:46 am

I want to apologize for being MIA so often lately. I have been working two jobs, roughly 60 some hours a week, for about 6 months now, and it's kinda been killing me. I barely have enough energy to do even basic posts, and when they required me to look something up, or even roll for something, I often ended up telling myself "I'll do it tomorrow" (which quickly becomes a never ending cycle). But, my last day on my second job was yesterday, so I should have a lot more free time now, and so should be posting a lot more regularly. It's a good thing, I suppose, that I have been away from the group for so long, so none of you were really inconvenienced by my lax posting schedule. Other than M0rt, that is.

Also, I just noticed something I screwed up over a year ago, which really throws a wrench in my goal to evolve Dracula. Namely, I bought the wrong item. When we went into the cave system to fight the Bone Lord, I bought a Razor Claw from the Crows, when he needs a Razor Fang. And I was really hoping to evolve him before the day is over. :wall:
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:47 am

SamWiser wrote: Also, I just noticed something I screwed up over a year ago, which really throws a wrench in my goal to evolve Dracula. Namely, I bought the wrong item. When we went into the cave system to fight the Bone Lord, I bought a Razor Claw from the Crows, when he needs a Razor Fang. And I was really hoping to evolve him before the day is over. :wall:
Actually, I think you're in luck. Looking back, Mort is the one who screwed up mixed them up first - he calls it a Razor Fang when you first find it, then in the next update switches to Razor Claw. You must have just assumed he knew what he was talking about and that was what you needed :roll: :lol:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:59 am

And clearly, I am a vengeful god which would never allow you to retcon such a mistake.

NEVER.

And DEFINITELY not if it turns out to not even be your own fault, but mine.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:50 am

Nope, only retcons allowed are character-wide. It's an all-or-nothing system. Better start planning your new character layout. :p
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:14 pm

I already have my backup character, already. I'm actually kind of excited to play him. First character where I actually know what I'm doing, game-wise. (Phoenix is a fun character, but build-wise, he's a mess).

But thank you. Not that I desperately need the power boost from evolution to make Drac viable, she's pulling her weight for sure, but hey, everybody likes evolutions.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:28 am

Are any of our builds not a mess?
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:20 pm

I don't know. From what I've seen, Koa seems to have a fairly solid build. I haven't paid too much attention to anybody else's build though, so I could be wrong.

But seriously. One day I looked through the book, looked at all of the classes, and what skills they used and what meshed well together, and decided on which ones looked the most interesting. Then, I went through each class I picked, and decided which order I wanted to take each one, and which level I could take certain feats at. And then, I went through and built his entire team. And then, I looked through each legendary and decided which ones worked best for him, both for character, and build reasons.

Procrastination is one heck of a drug.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:38 pm

I've done the same a couple of times, minus the reading the book. The builds are still a mess. :P
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:59 pm

Here is a playtest of 2.0
I've got to say, skimming over it...I am not impressed. Each pokemon you capture would have the same approaches as the trainer that caught it.

Natrivv
Chronically Blathering

Post by Natrivv » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:46 am

True, but it would also give more weight to traded pokemon being different then you. Irene clearly falls into the charming approach, but Shock's trainer might have been inclined to the Careful approach, and Ochrana might have been taught by someone with the deceitful approach based on his special talents, and interactions with Irene and Luna.
Also Irene and Isabella might have a reason to intentionally trade pokemon just so they'd have a pokemon that covers their respective weakness forceful vs charming.

Another interesting thing is the approach also reflects how long that pokemon has been with you.
"At levels 4, 8, and 12 you add +1 to one Approach."
This means pokemon traded to you young will have a balance of influence from both parties, but pokemon traded after level 12 would purely represent the other trainer who initially raised them.

of course, I'm only guessing how traded pokemon approaches work. :cheer:

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:04 am

Actually, I think the dev's intent is to have all owned Pokemon reflect the Approach of their current trainer. So if you traded with someone, the Pokemon would switch their Approach entirely to match the new trainer. It does kind of make sense, in that the new trainer is training them to work well together. But on the other hand I like the idea of working with a varied team - your idea sounds a lot more interesting to play around with.

Another problem I have with it is the homogeneous Level system. All Pokemon and Trainers have the same Level, regardless of the Level they're actually caught at. So if you're Lv10, and you catch a Lv2 Caterpie, then at the next Downtime period it will jump up to Lv10 too (Lv11 if you level up during the Downtime). Not sure how Pokemon at a higher Level than you are suppose to work, but I'd guess they'd be capped at that Level until you caught up?

Honestly, the whole system seems a lot more focused around improving physical (realtime) tabletop sessions. Since that's what the devs have more experience with.

You have timeskips (Downtime) between sessions, the complicated bookkeeping elements are heavily simplified (homogeneous levels, restricted build options, no exp, no money), combat and travel is more streamlined (Trainer and Pokemon don't have separate actions anymore, initiative is shared, Travel rolls). Some parts of it I like, but a lot of it isn't really necessary in a PbP game like ours - we have our excel sheets for the complicated maths, don't timeskip nearly as often, and combat already goes at a max speed of one-round-per-day. The only upside is that the GM might be able to update slightly faster, but Mort already goes about as fast as he can on this.
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:57 am

Yea it seems the only combat class is martial artist. I don't understand why they aren't doing elementalist.

Also the approaches are not even thst important, since its a d20 roll, and at most you get is a +5, its very lackluster. The whole skill system is. And like dusk said, the pokemon have your approaches. Also trainers and pokemon share speeds, where the trainer takes the pokemon's speed. I don't like pokemon more or less instantly caught up on your level, it takes raising them, espessially eggs. I am...unsure what to think about catching fainted pokemon, I guess it would take more time to catch them. It doesn't feel as pokemony. Also no incombat healing no more which is stupid? If someone wants to play clericmedic then let them. We might take some of the ideas from it and put them into the .5 game which might be better.

Natrivv
Chronically Blathering

Post by Natrivv » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:46 am

Pokemon automaticly switching appraochings sounds boring to me... It also goes against what they demonstrate in the Anime portion. It's trainers having to learn to work with the pokemons inclinations, not the pokemon giving up personalities...

As for the restricted build options, I thought it was just because this is the playtest and not an actual release? Otherwise that's an extremely lackluster class pool to ultilize.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:05 am

They are not implementing elementalists at all, might not even do psychic.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:15 am

The restricted build options refers more to how you have to slot your trainer into a specific build, rather than the freeform point distribution we've had in the past. Rather than assigning stat points to stats, you instead select what kind of build you want, and it does most of it for you.

To be honest, I'm not sure whether I like it or not. There's some aspects I like (simplified pokemon progression is a godsend, and they've actually struck a compromise between PTA and PTU regarding movepool size), and some I outright detest (1 Standard action per player, capturing has been MASSIVELY dumbed-down). But I've only had a chance to skim through it and read bits-and-pieces here-and-there, so... *shrug*

EDIT: Nope, nevermind, they're apparently still enforcing six. And with every pokemon starting with only one move... yeesh.
Last edited by Nioca on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:23 am

Natrivv wrote: As for the restricted build options, I thought it was just because this is the playtest and not an actual release? Otherwise that's an extremely lackluster class pool to ultilize.
I was less talking about the limited Class/Specialization options (yeah, they'll probably expand on those at some point), and more the restricted options for stat advancement. Want to make a character that dumps everything in ATK and SPD? Nope. Want to focus on Physical Defence over Special Defence? No can do. You can only pick from one of their 3 options (4 for Pokemon) and that's it. I don't think there's even any way to change your mind later and go for a different build.
Arch Lich Burns wrote:Yea it seems the only combat class is martial artist. I don't understand why they aren't doing elementalist.

Also the approaches are not even thst important, since its a d20 roll, and at most you get is a +5, its very lackluster. The whole skill system is. And like dusk said, the pokemon have your approaches. Also trainers and pokemon share speeds, where the trainer takes the pokemon's speed. I don't like pokemon more or less instantly caught up on your level, it takes raising them, espessially eggs. I am...unsure what to think about catching fainted pokemon, I guess it would take more time to catch them. It doesn't feel as pokemony. Also no incombat healing no more which is stupid? If someone wants to play clericmedic then let them. We might take some of the ideas from it and put them into the .5 game which might be better.
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:29 am

Yea, the 2.0 system seems to emphasise strikers even more than 1.5 and 1.5 already emphasises that due to the changes to status moves.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:58 am

I've not had the chance to give it all a throughout look myself yet, but so far I'm... Underwhelmed. I mean, I'm understanding what the idea is: "Streamline, streamline, streamline!"... It's hard enough to maintain one character sheet while playing actual tabletop, not to mention 7+... But we don't quite have those issues.

Natrivv
Chronically Blathering

Post by Natrivv » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:00 pm

I think the reason we don't do much healing in combat is because of how much healing is already nerfed. The medicine skill barely has one class using it, the medical branch of the researcher class, which the highest level it requires is novice. The only other thing that uses the skill is the first aid kit which is subpar 1 drained ap for a status removal and some healing which takes an extended action to use.

Then in reference of what you said about not using a potion in combat, that's because to do so would be reckless. Unless you take a very situational edge, you either give up 2 actions to heal 1 combatant or leave an injured pokemon on the field while comanding a second one. There are options to prevent damage, but very little to actually heal damage.

edit: so Looking over the Blessed and the Damned it seems that the only Legendary with a pact ability that let's other people recover hp is Ho-oh with Ashes of the phoenix,
Xeneres can only cure status conditions injuries and makes camping fun,
then Mew gift can let you reset combat stages and cure volatile conditions.
Then if you want to stretch healing in terms of medical sense the mortality duo can let a person transfer hp's like they're a blood bank or something :shrug: It's not really healing though since the user has to weaken themselves.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:47 pm

There is also messiah/signer which in a few levels in it and you can heal trainers (even ressurect with messiah), and medic from a playtest (which I didn't really look at). And there is anedge which helps giving healing items so they won't waste thier turn.