Trinity Isles OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: Trinity Isles OOC

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:35 pm

No reason Irene couldn't go Sage and Medic, if she wants to be a super-support character.

Also, in terms of balancing these Edges, I just had a minor epiphany. Basically, most Edges fall under one of two types - a "small but consistent" bonus, or a "situationally significant" bonus. For example, Categoric Inclination is a +1 to about a third of your Skills at all times, while Skill Stunt is about a +3 on one specific Skill in one specific situation. (The other Edge type is the Combat ones that grant a single, usually weak Move - i.e. Confusion or Astonish.)

So basically, we should balance these around that idea. If it has a relatively small bonus (Koa's +1 DEF/SDEF) then it should be usable consistently (whenever he intercepts). But if the bonus is bigger (Izzy saving AP on Songs) it should be only usable in certain situations (with high-Freq Sonic Moves).

So for Haley, I'd suggest something like this;
1) Poke Whisperer: Haley gets a +2 bonus on checks to understand Pokemon's intentions.
2) Plant Whisperer: Haley can "understand" Grass Pokemon (basically an extension of her Elemental Connection).

Natrivv
Chronically Blathering

Post by Natrivv » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:42 pm

Lol to be ultra-support I'd probably have to redo some flavor edges I took. Cause then I'd have to raise Charm, occult, medicine edu, and guile just for my classes doable, but just edge consuming.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:45 pm

I like Glowing Aura (able to use growth without binding 2 ap or using an action, yes please!) and Plant Whisperer. Though glowing aura should probably only affect allies, espessially if it's static.

Edit: another idea!

Sun's Brilliance: Haley gains the glow capibilty. (Or the move Flash, which grants glow capability)
Not the most useful of abilities, but it'd be unique and fun (I can probably blind people with the power of the sun as a struggle move?

Natrivv
Chronically Blathering

Post by Natrivv » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:56 pm

It's a powerful ability, so that's why I thought the limited range, and effecting everyone in it would be a balance from breaking it.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:59 pm

Will the sun shine out of her butt? :lol:

But yeah, the Glow one seems like a pretty good Edge to me. It's only really good in rare cases, and we've already got Art of Stealth setting the precedent for capability-granting Edges. Though I've no idea how Mort would explain Haley suddenly being a glowbug :roll:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:18 pm

Dusk9 wrote:Will the sun shine out of her butt? :lol:

But yeah, the Glow one seems like a pretty good Edge to me. It's only really good in rare cases, and we've already got Art of Stealth setting the precedent for capability-granting Edges. Though I've no idea how Mort would explain Haley suddenly being a glowbug :roll:
:lol: If that's the case then it's a whole new meaning of sticking it where the sun won't shine. But, no I'm more thinking her whole self or her 'aura'. Basically using sunlight within and extending it outward for a glow/Flash effect.

Edit: I would prefer her to get the move Flash, so at the very keast she has some (a bit minor) combat capabilities.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:39 pm

So, for Alex... I guess the only option for the Skill Stunt is (Charm): Manipulation or (Guile): Manipulation. Or something like them. He doesn't really do anything else that involves rolling for skills.

Edge-wise... Immunity to fall damage,
The ability to use Aura Pulse and his natural charisma to manipulate people without their realising it,
Get Mega Launcher.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:07 pm

Since complete immunity to fall damage is probably too much ( :roll: ), what about something like....

(Un)Lucky Bastard: Resistance vs environmental damage (i.e. fall damage, falling rocks, random explosions, drowning, etc)

Basically, Alex becomes super-durable against anything that isn't a direct attack. So falling off cliffs, getting hit by rocks in cave-ins, and whatever other mess he gets in to will only ever do half damage to him at most. We can fluff it as him having stupidly good luck after getting into unfortunate situations :roll:

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:11 pm

That works. More applications than just falling, too. But do Hazards count as environmental damage? (I know, they don't, since they're made by Moves.)
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:31 pm

Probably only going to get around to this proper tomorrow or even Thursday, but the correct one for Alex is obviously:

Unlucky guardian angel - Static - Whenever the user would take falling damage, he would find himself falling in just the right spot to hit either a nearby enemy, ally, or random pokemon- Resisting total damage, and splitting it between target and user.

I am definitely not just suggesting this as a plan to abuse it to have him literally drop on the villain in the middle of a speech. :roll:

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:57 pm

Pff, could be really good or really bad. Drop-kick the boss, or accidentally elbow-drop an ally who has just taken the same fall and is low on hp.
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:04 pm

I think the one dusk made is better.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:42 pm

INTERMISSION VOICE I NEED YOUR HELP!

STOP TALKING IN ALL CAPS. YOU ARE GOING TO CONFUSE THE READERS.

Sorry. Anyways, we're almost a whole week past Christmas, and I still haven't given the players any presents!

BARELY ANY TIME HAS PASSED IN THE GAME.

DO THEY REALLY NEED ANY MORE GIFTS?

Well... It's Christmas! I have to do SOMETHING, right? And I need you to do it!

NOT ONLY ARE YOU ASKING OF ME SOMETHING I CAN NOT DO.

IT WOULD ALSO BE EXTREMELY OUT OF CHARACTER.

BESIDES WAS THE WHOLE POINT OF THESE CHRISTMAS PRESENTS NOT AN ELABORATE WAY FOR YOU TO HINT TOWARDS THE APPEARANCE OF THESE STRANGE NEW CREATURES?

IF SO, WHY NOT USE HER?

I KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE PLANNED. SHE WILL BECOME RELEVANT SOON.

Well... Maybe, yeah. But she's not the type to seek them out, you know? She's not interested in them. Well, she IS, but she's vowed to this whole "keeping neutral" thing. That and she probably doesn't really like them despite realizing they'd kind of be on her side?

It's complicated.

IN THAT CASE. THERE IS ANOTHER THING YOU COULD DO.

THIS IS GOING TO SOUND QUITE NOVEL TO YOU. SO DO PAY CLOSE ATTENTION.

IF YOU CARE SO MUCH ABOUT THIS.

WHY DO YOU NOT JUST CUT THE WHOLE META CRAP FOR TWO SECONDS.

AND JUST GIVE IT YOURSELF?

So guys, I had a think about your new homebrew edges... How do the following sound? I tried to incorporate your feedback, but given that they're edges/free, did not want to make them too powerful. If anyone feels like they might be able to improve it, they're welcome.

Izzy: Play the wind
Swift action 1AP - Trigger: user uses a standard attack action that has neither dance nor song keyword - Effect: The user may target themselves or an ally within 6 feet with a song they know. For an additional 1 AP, the song can affect everyone in a burst 2 instead.
► Show Spoiler
Koa: Stone guardian
Static - Trigger: User attempts to intercept a melee or ranged attack - Effect: The user gains an additional 5 DR before calculating damage, which lasts for one full round.
► Show Spoiler
Irene: Protector's will
Static - When using probability control to help an ally, roll twice and keep the best result.
► Show Spoiler
Haley: Plant whisperer
Static - User can understand pokemon that have grass as one of their types.
► Show Spoiler
Alex: Damage control
Static - When the user takes damage due to a failed skill check, resist the damage one step.
► Show Spoiler
Phoenix: Lucky escape
Scene - Free action - Trigger: User fails a skill check - Result: User passes the skill check automatically.

Phoenix also should like, take one of the feats he's allowed to pick and distribute his stat points. Consider it an extra gift...
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:32 pm

Phoniex's is strong, probably a bit too strong since skill monkey is 3x daily.

Also you forgot bjorn.

Edit: also if you aren't comfortable with haley having communications woth grass type, her having glow capabiluty or the move flash would asl work
Last edited by Arch Lich Burns on Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:35 pm

These look pretty good! Though I'm not sure how to judge Izzy's since I don't play her.

The one exception is Phoenix's. Auto-succeed a skill check once per Scene is a bit much, especially for an Edge. Drake sort-of had that in the form of Dilettante + Skill Monkey, which is a 2 feat combo he could use only 3 times a day, and even then there was a chance he'd still fail.

Unless you're making Phoenix's a little stronger to make up for the fact that he's playing solo? It might be alright in that case :shifty:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:12 pm

Oops, I blame no one suggesting powers for Bjorn. :shifty: I'll think of something...

And nah, talking to grass pokemon is fine.

And fair enough on Phoenix's... Maybe change it to a free reroll? One using his guile perhaps..?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:14 pm

Maybe guile reroll, because I think probability comtrol is daily...at least, from what I remember.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:23 pm

Nah, Probability Control is Scene. Only downside is it leaves psychic residue.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:03 pm

It would still be very stong as an edge for him to have. I think limiting it to guile would probably be best.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:35 pm

I like mine. It's... Actually rather unfortunate to say that I may very well be using it as much as other people use theirs. I'm also going to assume it doesn't count for skill checks triggered by an enemy (Such as... Hell, I don't know if those exist. But they might.)

On Phoenix's extra (Not what everyone's talking about, which is the main) - Instead of providing an extra feat, you could just give him a level, since he's... What, two levels behind? Which results from we think still not allocating misc exp? That just fixes that problem.
My game:

My characters:

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:05 pm

Mort didn't grant Phoenix anything extra, he's just reminding Sam to allocate his feat point that he never picked.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:11 pm

Ah
My game:

My characters:

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:52 pm

As much as I really love my new bonus feat, I'll have to admit, it's kinda strong. Yeah, maybe instead, let me roll two die and pick the highest?

What exactly do you mean by letting me roll with Guile? Like, the option to use that instead of what skill I normally would? I'm not too sure about that, mainly because most of the skills I use are already higher than my guile roll.

Also, I chose my next feat, "Death From Above". And I don't know how I had 3 undistributed points, but yeah. I distributed those too, 2 into Atk, and 1 into Spd, making Phoenix into the glassiest glass cannon ever.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:43 am

M0rtimer wrote: Izzy: Play the wind
Swift action 1AP - Trigger: user uses a standard attack action that has neither dance nor song keyword - Effect: The user may target themselves or an ally within 6 feet with a song they know. For an additional 1 AP, the song can affect everyone in a burst 2 instead.
► Show Spoiler
Hrmm....yeah, that works. At first I wasn't sure because of the AP cost, but now that I think about it, just being able to trigger a Song on myself while attacking is definitely worth it. Although, can we say that I can spend the extra 1AP to "either affect everyone in a Burst 2 OR target myself and an ally within 6 feet"? Since that gives me more options when it's just me and one of my Pokemon in a fight.

That said, I'm assuming the initial 1AP cost doesn't "stack" with the Song cost? As in, I don't need to spend 1AP to use this Edge, then another 1AP for the Song? Because that's how it works as written, but I'm assuming that's not what you intended :P
► Show Spoiler
-----------------------------------------

EDIT: For Bjorn, some kind of Rider buff would probably be nice? Either that or something which synergises with his ice powers, but I don't know which Synch would prefer.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:52 am

SamWiser wrote:As much as I really love my new bonus feat, I'll have to admit, it's kinda strong. Yeah, maybe instead, let me roll two die and pick the highest?

What exactly do you mean by letting me roll with Guile? Like, the option to use that instead of what skill I normally would? I'm not too sure about that, mainly because most of the skills I use are already higher than my guile roll.

Also, I chose my next feat, "Death From Above". And I don't know how I had 3 undistributed points, but yeah. I distributed those too, 2 into Atk, and 1 into Spd, making Phoenix into the glassiest glass cannon ever.
Because then Phoneix would basically get an ability ( probability control) for free? Which is why we are suggesting it for you to use on a single skill instead.