Trinity Isles OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Re: Trinity Isles OOC

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:27 am

I was thinking the same, to be honest. In the end though, it's mostly semantic differences anyways...

Also, I don't mind that, if we're going to allow Koa to get possessed at this moment so it becomes an established mechanic, we forego the usual injuries it would result in this once. Usually I probably wouldn't, but he's already pretty injured and I don't want to accidentally kill him for the sake of rp. :shifty:

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:52 am

DC 10 isn't that hard of a check for Koa now that he's got some +2 bonuses to it, actually, from Skill Enhancement and Royal Privilege, and he can AP boost it. But if you wanna make the check an auto-succeed then I'm fine with that ;)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:54 am

Are you saying you don't want to abuse this moment to get +6 CS in all stats for absolutely no reason..? :P

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:36 am

Hey Natrivv, just in case you missed it, the cultist did direct one question towards Irene.

Natrivv
Chronically Blathering

Post by Natrivv » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:50 pm

yeah I did. Thank you for pointing it out.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:32 am

Ahahaha, that icon for Luna! It's perfect!
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:40 pm

M0rtimer wrote:So I figured it'd make sense that the Nihilego's appearance changes partly depending on it's user aura/color... But so far all I've got for Koa's aura is "It's a rock". :roll:
I kinda just put off thinking about it. Coming up with an 'aura' for my character starts to feel like I'm edging into super-special snowflake OC territory. If it's gonna be a thing, though, I guess I'll come up with something.

Since Koa's Hawaiian themed, his aura will have the appearance of dark volcanic rock with thin lines of lava running between the plates.
► Show Spoiler
And since your Patron legendary's influence can be seen in your aura, I'd say that at this point Diancie's influence would appear as an occasional pink gemstone contrasting with the dark rock around it. He's only got her Minor Gift, so her influence on his aura isn't that strongly yet.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:26 am

Oh, oh, something I need to check before the fight starts: Does the rolling pin have a small weapon's +1DB in general as well as being +2 instead if the target is ice or ground type, or is it only the +2 bonuses? If there's a +1, Roy will be equipped with the rolling pin. Otherwise... I guess nothing, 'cause Alex wouldn't understand anything about the Z-crystal other than thinking of a weird dance.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:27 am

Koa right now
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:32 am

I kinda just put off thinking about it. Coming up with an 'aura' for my character starts to feel like I'm edging into super-special snowflake OC territory. If it's gonna be a thing, though, I guess I'll come up with something.
Eh, I don't consider it "snowflake" territory if it's something I allow everyone to have, or more accurately, something everyone HAS to have... It's just that having it show up is rare.
Can I not get Roy closer than that? Or would actually getting into melee count as disturbing it?
Anything on the pad would probably be "too close"- So you could move him a bit closer to start off with.
Oh, oh, something I need to check before the fight starts: Does the rolling pin have a small weapon's +1DB in general as well as being +2 instead if the target is ice or ground type, or is it only the +2 bonuses? If there's a +1, Roy will be equipped with the rolling pin. Otherwise... I guess nothing, 'cause Alex wouldn't understand anything about the Z-crystal other than thinking of a weird dance.
Since I think you asked something along these lines earlier but forgot- I intend the bonus to be "static" along with whatever bonuses the weapon would give for just being a weapon... Which includes the DB. With that said, the one thing I can't find anywhere in the RAW is what happens to moves that DON'T immediately stem from a weapon. Say you have moves A, B and C from features, and the weapon you're wielding allows you to also uses moves X and Y... Does the +1 DB and any other benefits only apply to the two weapon attacks you get, or the ones you have from features too?

I suppose it's up to us to decide that, to be honest- I suppose my personal preference goes towards... Yes, but only on fitting attacks- So for a small melee weapon, that'd be melee-based physical attacks?

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:41 am

There are features that specifically allow you to use certain regular Moves as though they were Weapon Moves, in which case you apply AC and DB buffs and debuffs.

Like if you look at the Cutthroat feat under the Rogue class:
Cutthroat
[+Attack] [Weapon]
Prerequisites: Rogue
Static
Effect: You may use Rogue Moves as Weapon Moves
when wielding Small Melee Weapons or Short Ranged
Weapons. If you do, Rogue Moves instead have the same
Range as your Weapon. Additionally, you may qualify
for Weapon Moves for Small Melee or Short Ranged
Weapons and resist Disarm Maneuvers when wielding
such Weapons using any Rogue Skill.
So unless you have a feat that specifically allows you to use them as Weapon Moves, you can only use regular Moves as-is and don't apply any buffs/debuffs from the weapon.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:45 am

This is just half a memory but I think certain moves have a weapon tag? I seem to remember looking at something related to that when I made a dragon knigth/ beserker character for Dusk's game.

Ninjaed by vader as usual ready with the rules :p
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:28 am

Ah, so there is a ruling, it's just not super evident on first glance... So yeah, he wouldn't get the +1 DB from wielding it, or even the extra effects while using regular moves- You can still give it to him and use the two associated weapon moves, though.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:02 pm

One associated move. Pokemon can't gain the second move from... Whatever it is. Expert or Master combat.

And dang it, guys, you just ruined my dream of having a conkeldurr be stronger when using a rolling pin than /giant slabs of concrete./ >:( :P
My game:

My characters:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:02 am

Dlover wrote:
Synch wrote:Bjorn turns to Pyre (still out after Bunnelby fight) and gives him a Potion, the fletchinder craning its head back and gobbling the fluid Bjorn pours into his mouth. "Lets do this buddy, fire and ice!" He chugs a Potion himself, and encases his fists in sheathes of ice.
That's not something he can't do before the battle actually starts, though. :roll:

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:06 am

But does Bjorn actually have anything he can do to prepare? The answer is yes, because that time Synch was away and put me in charge I checked and saw that... I think it's Pyre who has Agility, so there's at least some buffing to do.
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:10 am

I think buttercup can ingrain and grow but I don't want to get in trouble again for buffing.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:15 am

I mean, that's exactly why we're being given this time. To buff and prepare before fighting the literal murdermachine.
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:30 am

But last time I got threatened that he'll do the samexwith the enemy. I don't know if its a good idea.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:33 am

So, to emphasize the difference here, why I'm generally "not okay" with actions such as "I'm going to use ingrain and steel defense three times", but I just explicitly said "giving a healing potion" can easily be done before the battle...

>Ingrain, status buffs: All buffs that disappear by the end of the battle.

>Potion: could literally have been given at any time, and it's effect would still have been apparent going into battle.

I think I'm pretty much going to homerule that buffing moves like this need "adrenaline" to keep going, and pretty much don't stick unless they're in a battle... But with seeing that Bjorn only seemed to use an action on two potions, that could easily have been done before, and then actual actions to come in on first turn. On which note, I'll take his action to use agility both himself and his pokemon unless given something else.

To be fair, though, there is only so much buffing in this battle will do for you- Buff your ATT and SATT up to max, sure, but if you score an accidental crit and knock it out...

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:39 am

Yeah, the attack stats being buffed aren't so helpful, buff if we can buff the defences it's very helpful, considering the mechanic here is like a battle of attrition. Do we run out of HP first, or does Genesect run out of (Not being uploaded to). If you want that to be a no, though, that's how it is. Literally can't make a difference to me right now anyway, since none of my pokemon even can buff. :p

... Okay, that's not entirely accurate. Gwen buffs passively at the end of her turn... OH, I should bring her out and have her hide behind the cover! I can't have multiple pokemon act each round, but with her being in the fight she'd still have a turn and trigger that, right? Or do pokemon only have turns if they act?
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:46 am

Ingrain is a coat, which lasts a scene, not an encounter. Stat boosts only last for encounter. Besides Buttercup has....a low selection of moves so...yea I will have her water sport everyone (which again is a coat), and use growth once. Apparently she does not have ingrain.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:47 pm

Don't we use encounters as scenes, for the sake of knowing when frequencies refresh and stuff?
My game:

My characters:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:47 am

Not always, but usually. Multiple battles CAN happen in the same scene, but this is mostly only under circumstances where they'll be following each other up relatively quickly- Making it so that in most instances, yes, each different encounter is essentially a new scene...

Are coats scene-wide, though? Thinking about it for a second, I'm pretty sure they're not- The keyword states "Coats give the target a certain effect while the coat persists"... And then, admittedly, don't specify how long that is. However, I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be a scene length- After all, if it can be cast once per scene, and has the duration of a scene... Why not just keep having it use it whenever possible? Essentially turn it static? (Besides that any decent DM would smite you for even suggesting to do such a thing) And by that same logic of a scene coat move should last for a scene... Does that mean water sport lasts only two turns, being EOT? :roll:

More accurately, it likely only lasts the length of an encounter... Which as I said previously, does mean that usually it can be used again in a new battle without issue- But does raise the question of "Should I use it already, or keep it prepped for another battle coming up" in situations where you know you'll likely be in a couple consecutive battles. And fall under the same rules I specified earlier.

On that very same note, I'm not sure how you've figured growth would not fall under the very same rules I outlined earlier. I admit coats could maybe be an exception to the rule when it comes to preparation, but as I outlined previously, them essentially being able to be used indefinitely if I allowed them to be prepped... Eh. We'd need to homerule it to this specific instance that you know you're going into battle and are preparing it just before going in, which is specific enough for me to just add it to the blacklist by default.

I'll keep your actions to activating sunlight within and stun spore for now- Let me know if you'd prefer to see it changed.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:53 am

I used ingrain for other reasons outside of battle though, like before willow phases, multiple times. As for why water sport is eot: it doesn't do much asides fire resistance. Which has a use out of battle but might not come up: fire fighting. I think I remember it saying blessings are a coat themselves, and I know they last a scene.

My order is sunlight within but I am still going to try to use my styler. Or am i not allowed to do orders that bind ap before battles eithrr?