Trinity Isles OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: Trinity Isles OOC

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:21 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:I would put extra range as higher. Espessially as with a flying pokemon. They already get a giant boost for being able to attack in the air. And 5 damage is not really that much. :shrug: And mort basically traded a unique ability for a different unique ability.
Fair enough. In my opinion, +2 range is great on a 2 range move, but not so good on an 8 range move. Since at that point, you're basically out-distancing everything already. And I did suggest Levitate instead of Sky to balance things, which would solve the kiting problem somewhat.

And a permanent +5 damage is actually pretty strong. It's equivalent to about +2DB for moves under DB10. And you can stack it, too - things like Type Boosters, Life Orb, Musician Songs, Last Chance Abilities, etc. Zeke is a great example; he gets +5 from Mach Speed, Vanguard, and Flying Booster. Throw in a Song of Might, and he's +20 ATK for Flying Moves, and +10 for everything else. That's basically +100%/+50% ATK at the moment, which is hardly insignificant.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:24 pm

Okay, so I've just found something. The Trainer Combat pages on these sheets? They apply stab to moves by default. That's because it uses the images to display the types, which registers as having no text, so it matches the empty cells. The following goes in the first light grey cell, then extends up and down from there.

=iferror(vlookup($E18,'Moves Data'!$A$3:$K$738,11,FALSE),"--")

Or it should. But I moved it to another sheet and it doesn't work... Problem solved.

Edit: To clarify, that code's for F18 downward. And up, I guess.
Last edited by Dlover on Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:12 pm

Quick question, did Koa get off his Rock Tomb? I don't see any mention of it in the update.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:19 pm

Phew, actually been sick the past couple days, so that's why this took so much longer than it should... Anyways, to quickly look at your suggestions for Fern... I think stylistically, I prefer the hovertank concept... But I'd have to give it a proper check before making a final decision. Not sure why seed bomb would translate to beak blast/hurricane though..? That's essentially a DB upgrade. Haven't checked the other examples but I'll assume they're mostly 1:1 (I am not saying he won't gain a means towards unlocking some high power flying moves, though)

And yeah, seems I accidentally skipped Koa, oops. That would actually knock out one of the spiders before it can hit Izzy, meaning she's not KO'd... I'll quickly edit the update. :roll:

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:23 pm

Eyyy, good thing I asked :lol:

Get better soon btw!

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:32 am

M0rtimer wrote:Not sure why seed bomb would translate to beak blast/hurricane though..? That's essentially a DB upgrade. Haven't checked the other examples but I'll assume they're mostly 1:1 (I am not saying he won't gain a means towards unlocking some high power flying moves, though)
Seed Bomb doesn't have a 1:1 Flying substitute. It's an At-Will, DB8, Range 8, AC2, Physical Move. Closest examples are Drill Peck, Acrobatics, and Fly - the former is already getting substituted for Power Whip, and the latter two are TM moves.

If you want the moves to be more equivalent, we could do Power Whip->Beak Blast and Seed Bomb->Drill Peck instead, though? That's actually a much more equal substitution, for both of them. If anything I lose some power, since Blast Beak is 2DB lower than Power Whip and doesn't have Smite.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:04 am

Beak blast isn't though. It causes burning, powerwhip doesn't do that. And flying moves are stronger than grass ones due to typing.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:43 am

► Show Spoiler
Yes, Flying is better than Grass offensively, but Power Whip has +2DB on Beak Blast to balance it out. Power Whip is less accurate, but it has Smite. And Beak Blast Burns Melee attackers, but only that turn - if they don't attack, or use a Ranged/Status Move, it does nothing. While Power Ship gives higher Range and Threaded, for lots of utility.

Pretty much no moves have exact counterparts. Especially when types like Flying are involved, since they have a lower Movepool than other types. The best we can do is approximate. Do you have a better suggestion for replacing Power Whip?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:53 am

Aeroblast, arieal ace (though prob not), bounce, brave bird, drill peck, fly

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:09 am

Aeroblast: Signature Move of Lugia.
Aerial Ace: Way too weak to be a Lv40 Move. Plus it's already a TM Move.
Brave Bird: Mort's already said it doesn't fit Ferrothorn at all, since they aren't a Bird Pokemon.
Drill Peck: Was the best option, before Sun/Moon. But it fits Seed Bomb much better.
Fly: TM Move, not learnt naturally by any Pokemon except Salamence, Drampa, and Rayquaza. Plus it doesn't really fit this version of a Flying Ferrothorn, so I'm not sure Mort would even allow it as a TM move.

The only one I'll concede is Bounce, but I still have problems with it. It's way weaker (DB9), and inaccurate without the benefit of Smite to balance it. Doesn't fit the theme of a tank either, in my opinion. That said, it's Mort's decision.

I don't get your problem with Beak Blast, either - it's not like it's a super-OP move or anything :roll:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:17 pm

Wow. Seriously? So all the work to find passcodes for nothing. All efforts to save the ai are in vain. Nothing we do really matters does it. :/

On the "plus" side that means we can take our sweet ass time to loot. :roll:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:25 pm

You sure have a positive outlook on things, don't you? :roll:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:50 pm

I spent the last...many updates trying to outrun a clock that did not exist, all efforts and all the stress I was put through to outrun the clock were in vain. So yea...

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:07 pm

Experience!

Maguma gets all 186xp, gaining 3 levels and finally hitting level 30! He puts 1 point into HP, Atk, and SpAtk each. He also trades in reliability for power, forgetting Clear Smog and Feint Attack in favor of Fire Punch and his second inheritance move Cross Chop! Just in time for a certain Dark-typed gym coming up ;)

Maguma is now eligible for evolution!

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:04 pm

Oh, I don't think I asked: The book says small weapons give +1DB, is that applied with the rolling pin, or is it replaced by the conditional +2?
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:37 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote:I spent the last...many updates trying to outrun a clock that did not exist, all efforts and all the stress I was put through to outrun the clock were in vain. So yea...
Also making yourself a very dislikeable character in the process... :meh:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:57 am

Yea sorry about that. I'll try not to let my own thoughts influence her as much. She's supposed to be cheerful and halpy but that changed with all the stress she's been put through recently.. but it's no excuse to how awful she-I have been. Maybe it's better if I just quit the game all together.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:27 am

Quitting doesn't solve anything. Try to focus on changing that rather than thinking you should just quit.
My game:

My characters:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:14 am

Are you aware with the concept of dramatic timing? The heroes burst in just as the sacrifice is about to begin. The bomb is defused with less than a second on the clock. This extends to games as well, except here it can also come coupled with a failure condition. Basically, if you fail, bad stuff would have happened- If you succeed, even speedrunning, it turns out you've come just in the nick of time to make things happen.

The Spark is just being genre savvy. :roll:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:20 am

At the time I didn't realize it was arbitrary and thought that if I went fast that I could out pace the clock, and maybe just maybe able to save the AI. If I knew that it didn't really matter then I would have done things differently and not stress myself over it.

Natrivv
Chronically Blathering

Post by Natrivv » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:10 am

so exp time

getting 125 exp Ms. Cuddles goes from level 20 to 21 gaining 1 point in speed.
Getting the rest of the 61 exp Ochrana goes from level 25 to 26 gaining 1 point in sp. def.

Also what would happen to a water/psychic gyarados? Cause the only flying type move is bounce...

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:42 pm

Also, it was a fair indication we didn't have a time constraint because we had to go and find clues to progressing in various other rooms, something you chided us for.
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:48 pm

Natrivv wrote:so exp time

getting 125 exp Ms. Cuddles goes from level 20 to 21 gaining 1 point in speed.
Getting the rest of the 61 exp Ochrana goes from level 25 to 26 gaining 1 point in sp. def.

Also what would happen to a water/psychic gyarados? Cause the only flying type move is bounce...
Bounce would be replaced, and it might gain some additional psychic based moves.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:52 pm

I'm sorry. I was stressed out about this most of the time, but it's no excuse to how I treated you/bjorn or Dlover/alex...and mort. I'll try to do better and not act so rashly or bitterly, even when things seem to be terrible. Maybe I can make it up to you guys eventually.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:17 pm

Kay gets 116xp, jumping up 2 levels to Lv27. She gains +1HP, +1SPD, and learns Roost!
The remaining 70xp goes to Fern, pushing her up to Lv24 and netting her +1HP.