Civilization 6: Argue Your Tweaks

Home to all current Forum Games.
Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Civilization 6: Argue Your Tweaks

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:31 pm

EDIT: Perhaps calling it a Theorycrafting thread wasn't the best idea. Title changed to a Coming Soon. Heh.

Civilization VI: The Plaid Distortion

This thread is for Theorycrafting and basic rules. Entries are not open to actually "start" the game, I just wanted to finally set the rules in stone before I shut the computer down. I go crash with a friend for a few months in a couple of days and am spending the weekend offline, so it's best if I put the rules up now especially since my computer is a now-ancient beast that might not survive the drive over to my new location. This way the rules are down for when I -am- ready to rock.

Civ V was going so well too, I was almost ready to let it sail off into the sunset when Real Life turned into a bigger troublemaker than Maraxia did.

Anyway, rulesets. Lots and lots of rulesets.

This one's going to be the longest yet, with a main thread spanning 30 (!) game years... and three posts worth of rules, races, and Tweaks because one post couldn't hold it all! You think I overdid it?

The last couple lasted between 5 and 10 game years, and only because I slowed down the pacing of my writeups. With a main thread in mind I can keep posting at a flat rate of speed even if there's not much to write about, since there will be always the Main Quest to think about, even if it is only a few paragraphs in length. Going to try for nightly (two days apart at the very latest) posts. I have a big story in mind, though depending on what races and Tweaks you pick, you might make it impossible to launch. If that's the case, I'll just wing it like I've been doing the past five. There will be a short break mid-game either way, as I'll be changing location (AGAIN) october-ish when I go bunk down in a second friend's RV if his plans don't collapse.

Anyone who votes on a given writeup is termed a Voter, anyone who has voted at least five times is Eligible for a Character, and those who have a character are considered Players.

ACTIONS, ASPECTS AND SUB-TREES

After much discussion with the rest of you, it's clear to me that If It Ain't Broke Don't Fix It. While I'd been wanting to get away from Aspects because the numbers really don't well represent what you guys are capable of, the other systems I came up with got shot down easily when odds were computed (following the "Blood Bowl" rule of logic; the more dice rolled, the more chances to fail a roll). So, let's get down to Actions and Aspects.

Each Player starts with 3 Standard Actions and 1 Finest Hour. Standard Actions (SAs) are worthy of a write-up (even if it is just a sentence), while Finest Hours (FHs) pack a punch and may be somewhat of a game-changer. There are a total of nine Base Aspects, each with four (up from three) Sub Aspects. 1 SA regenerates at Midsummer (fuck rolling, you guys got shafted last game), 2 SA and 1 FH regenerate at Winter's Meet. Maximums are 7/3 because let's face it you guys never really held onto your Actions unless you were idle.

Each Aspect comes with Gifts and Perks. Gifts are reached at every four levels of a Base Aspect, while Perks come at every even level of a Sub-Aspect (not shortened; "SA" always refers to "Standard Action"). Gifts define the Civilization in a knowledgable way while Perks are little bits and pieces... minor stuff but still very useful nonetheless. Aspects start at 1, while Sub Aspects start at 0. Gonna make you work for things this go-round :D

Sub Aspects are shown in bold in the tabs below:

.[tabs: Village Life] Village Life and Defense:
* Deals with Home and Family (Home defense; each level allows one "trick" for the home village)
* Deals with Food and Water (Better Food = Better Troops = Better Morale = Better Combat)
* Influences Wonders (Longevity and complexity of built structures/buildings that provide bonuses; each level allows 1 Wonder, like a Library)
* Affects Population (+3% per level to a maximum of 50%; for slow breeders [those who birth every 3+ years] it will add 1% instead.)

[tabs: Dungeoneering] Dungeoneering:
* Deals with Dungeon Traps (Finding, disarming, studying and mimicking traps for later)
* Affects Mazelooting (better chances for shinies)
* Influences Dungeon Combat (surviving a good brawl)
* Increases Sphinxology (puzzles, dilemma-traps and surviving the brain cells of a completely batshit anthropomorphic hyena mad wizard).

[tabs: Warfare] Warfare:
* Influences Militia (basic combat)
* Affects Group Tactics (grants group skills and special abilities)
* Affects Single Tactics (grants solo skills and special abilities)
* Affects Magic Tactics (grants unusual spells).

If Warfare is rolled, Militia is *always* rolled.

[tabs: Technology]Technology:
* Influences Steampunkery (Building complex machines such as TF2 Sentries, augmented limbs, or other technological toys)
* Affects Inventioneering (Blueprints and building stuff for the first time)
* Affects Tools and R&D (You're only as good as your tools)
* Affects Metallurgy (As the tech for metal smelting increases, new metals and techniques are unlocked, but you'll need tools for them).

First-time inventions will not usually be more than 50%-75% successful unless you roll a critical --- there's always room for streamlining and whatnot. If you design new weapons or technological things, there will usually be four "tiers" of improvement they go through: Prototype (requiring one successful action), Basic Concept (two more successes needed), Advanced Concept (3 more after that) and Breakthrough (4 after that). Beyond that, more breakthroughs are only accomplished by critical successes (to a maximum of three before "Perfection").

[tabs: Personal] Personal:
* Influences character Occupations (your job --- actions based on your job in the civilization get a +15 bonus) All players have one job to start.
* Influences character Skills (A +7 bonus) All players get 3 Skills.
* Influences character Hobbies (+3 bonus) All players get 5 Hobbies.
* Influences Mastery (The rate you get Masters at as well as the bonuses they give)

If Personal is rolled, Mastery will always be rolled.

[tabs: Spiritual] Spiritual:
* Influences the Divine aspect (Deities and their needs)
* Affects Healing (the amount and strength of healing magic, as well as Healing wounds/resting)
* Affects the skills of your Shaman (covering knowledge of The Spirit Realm)
* Affects Zealotry (higher devotion to your gods grant various bonuses depending on standing).

If Spiritual is rolled, Zealotry will always be rolled.

[tabs: Social] Social:
* Influences People Skills (Basic impressions and culture)
* Affects Trade And Goods (dealing with items and resources)
* Influences Diplomacy (deal making, bribing, "friendly rivalry" and cold wars)
* Affects Espionage (stealing, seducing and assassinations)

[tabs: Sorcery] Sorcery:
* Influences Mana (Higher level means more magic overall)
* Affects your Innate Magical Effect (Personal special effects)
* Influences Ley Lines (both finding them and using them)
* Affects Magical Theory (Researching new magic).

If Sorcery is rolled, Theory will always be rolled.

[tabs: Research] Research:
* Affects finding new Legends and Lore (spcific items, names and places),
* Influences Spell School (for individual spell effects)
* Affects Cultural (when you find new Civilizations or study ancient ones)
* Influences the size of your Library bonuses (a catch-all for everything else).[/tabs]

Each month, Aspects and Sub-Aspects increase by 1d7 (3d7 for Midsummer, never less than 9 and 5d7 for Winter's Meet, never less than 12), This'll be modded based on whatever races end up in the starting lineup of the Civilization; something that progresses 20% slower, for example, will require 120 EXP to go up its first level, 150 its second, and so on. On a successful Action, the Base Aspect will increase by 3, any Sub Aspects in that Base go up by 1, any Sub Aspects used in that base go up another .5 and any Sub Aspects used from other Aspects go up by .25. On an unsuccessful Action, the Base Aspect will increase by 1, any Sub Aspects in that Base (whether used or not) go up by .25, and any Sub Aspects used from other Aspects won't go up at all. Aspects and Sub-Aspects level in steps of 100, +25 (100, 125, 150, etc) each additional level to a maximum of Level 20.

(I've done the math, if I rolled maximum for one whole year on everything, that's 162 EXP, which is about a level and a half to start; once things pick up steam it will be easier especially if you complete storylines)

.[tabs: Rolling Actions]

For each Action, I will roll 1d100 against a Difficulty. If I roll a Natural 5 or below, the result is a Critical Failure. 95+, and it's a Critical Success (although on difficulties of 95 or higher it will be only 100 that is a crit success). The roll gets a bonus of 3 per point of Base Aspect, and a bonus of 2 to the roll per level of Sub Aspect. In addition the Difficulty is lowered by two per point of Base Aspect. However no more than 1 Sub Aspect per 3 levels of Base Aspect will be rolled! Only -one- Base Aspect will be rolled, with up to three Sub Aspects maximum (plus one more if there is a synergy, like Warfare + Militia). Designing something new/prototypical with a lot of moving parts, for example, might fall under Research + Inventioneering instead of Technology + Inventioneering (though after the first time something is successful, it will use likely use Technology and later Tools).

Since we have lots of newcomers (well, I'm expecting them, anyway; please, everyone, bring your friends here) coming in this game, I'm going to explain a little more about actions. Each game month when I write up a post, actions (under an appropriate heading) will be posted along with the dice rolls (d100) used to get them. Let's say you were trying to loot a castle with your newly made army, I'd probably roll Warfare + Militia + Mazelooting at a difficulty of... let's say 85. The roll will look something like this on the post:

[Army Looting]: Base roll is 20 + 6 (Warfare 2) + 2 (Militia 1) + 2 (Mazelooting 1) + 10 Action Points = 40 vs Modded 83 - 0 MP = 40 (Base 85) (Action Failed)
[Army securing the Castle]: Base roll is 87 + 6 (Warfare 2) + 2 (Militia 1) + 2 (Traps 1) + 0 Action Points = 97 vs Modded 48 - 0 MP = 48 (Base 50) (Action Succeeded) [49: +12 AP, +7 MP]
(the modified 97 is NOT a critical, the base roll has to be 95+).

Sometimes failures won't actually be failures. In the above example, if there's no one to contest you looting, you just might find fewer pieces of loot, or lesser quality loot.

Action Points a player has can be used to add a bonus to the roll (up to 15) and Mastery points can be used to reduce the difficulty of the roll (also to 15, minimum difficulty of 30). For each successful Action, I'll take the difference between the roll and the modified difficulty, and divide that by 4 (for Action Points generated, rounding up) and 7 (for Mastery Points generated, rounding down); a critical success or a roll over 150 will double these values. Half of those generated go to the player, the other half go to a "general pool" of stored potential that the Heralds have access to. So in the above example, the successful action would net the player 6 AP and 3 MP; the remaining 6 and 4 would go to the general pool.

If you run out of SAs/FHs, you can still perform a Standard Action by using the stored potential of the "general pool", but the highest number that can be rolled will be equal to the amount of AP spent to a limit of 75. 20% of this will be deducted from Mastery (so a full 75 will drop MP by 15). AP/MP will not be generated on such a roll. This way if you absolutely need to do an action but are out of actions, you can still do it though it's not really reccomended.

For the three actions decided upon from the bottom of the writeup, -all- of the AP and MP generated will go into the general pool instead.

If you use AP/MP on a roll, no AP or MP will be generated for that roll, nor will Trance increase.

I use Random.org's front page dice roller to roll the d100, then I have a IRC script to plug in the modifiers, so yes, the numbers are random. For those of you worried about being screwed, the only time I screw my players is that I write to the whims of the dice. If I roll a Critical Failure (5 or less on the original roll), you WILL be feeling it, as the old players familiar with my Civilization games will vouch for! I might try to save characters' lives, but if the dice say no and I can't think of a good way to write around it, then the dice say no. If I constantly fucked with my players, I'd lose players right quick! :P

[tabs: Interesting Events]

For each successful Action, I will roll Personal + Mastery for SI (Something Interesting, 80+); if that roll is successful I'll roll again for a ME (Mysterious Event, 90+, up from 70+ and 80+ of Civ 5). Yes, these rolls generate additional AP/MP for the "general pool." Something Interesting grants a write up and another possible avenue of research or story to explore. A Mysterious Event is just that, a "Watch out, I'm going to perform Science on it!" situation that turns the story in a completely new direction. SIs and MEs won't always be beneficial (roughly 50/50%, modified by Personal + Mastery total levels), and if BOTH the SI and ME roll are Critical Successes, I'll roll again (at 85+) for a chance at it being Unusual, which is a once-in-a-lifetime occurance and will most definitely be a gamechanger (though it might not always be beneficial!).

[tabs: Mastery]

This game I'm introducing the new Mastery mechanic. Every successful Action, I'll roll 1d100 - twice the Mastery Level against your current number of Mastery points (and subtract another 10 if it was a critical), and if I roll below the number of current points stored, you get a Master added to the population and the points value drops by 100 (can go negative). Said Master will be based upon the Action that was successful.

Each Master drops the difficulty of Actions they are a Master of by (Mastery Level +6, to a minimum difficulty of 30), and generates 30% more AP and MP when used. In addition it will give any chance for Something Interesting or Mysterious Events a +10 bonus. If you decide to use a Master on something they're NOT a Master of, this bonus is cut to 1/3 (difficulty drop by 5, 10% bonus to AP, +3 to SI/ME); they're considered elites, so there's still something there. It costs 7-13 (randomly rolled) AP to use a Master during your turn, and half that in MP (A Master's time is valuable, and therefore expensive!). If this random roll would drop your AP or MP to 0, the Action simply won't generate AP/MP that time but will still go off normally.

Each Master is usable only once by any one person in a month. Using them a second month in a row doubles the AP/MP cost. Three months in a row triples it, and four in a row and thereafter quadruple it. So if Person A uses Master A in 500.01, Person B (or anyone else) can't use Master A until 500.03 unless they want to pay the increased cost.

[tabs: Trance] Trance increases by 2 points 25% of the time. Failing that, 1 point 50% of the time. There is a +1 for using an Action (whether successful or not), +1 if AP or MP were generated, and another 2 each for if Something Interesting or a Mysterious Event happens.

Trance caps at 40. If you hit Trance, AP and MP generated are doubled, SAs go off with the power of a Finest Hour, and FHs go off with 150% normal power. Trance lasts for 2 game months (the turn it is hit and the turn thereafter). Once you hit Trance there is a 7 month cooldown before it can be hit again, and if you somehow hit it a second time (unlikely, but possible in the right circumstances) before the cooldown period ends you can choose to gain 2 Standard Actions or one Finest Hour instead.

[tabs: Combat/Wounds]

I'm codifying the wound system I've been using for the Civilizations. In the past it was simply a rough estimate of how badly matched you were with an enemy, and then a single saving throw (larger-sized targets sometimes got tougher saves). This time, I'm solidifying it not with HP, but with Wounds. You start at Uninjured, and it goes from Uninjured -> Slightly Injured -> Somewhat Injured -> Moderately Injured -> Severely Injured -> Badly Hurt -> Potential Permanent Damage (25%) -> Potential Permanent Damage (50%) -> Mortally Wounded -> Dead. Some races get more or less wounds; a race that has -2 wounds for example will start Uninjured but go straight to Moderately Injured part of the scale on the first hit.

Severely Injured or worse require bed rest and recovery until you are -fully- recovered. You can still act, you just can't do anything that deals with a great length of travel, intense research, spellcasting ritual, or combat. Otherwise, you'll take double normal damage instead in any combat or possibly re-injure yourself otherwise.

For combat/dungeon runs, battles will usually be Dungeoneering + Group Tactics (or Warfare + Militia for outdoor melees). Difficulty will differ on situation and both teams will make a roll; the losing side on the d100 roll has to make a saving throw for each member of the fight (d20, usually a 14+, 16+ for Big Guys and Giant-tweaked, 11+ for Stunty or Tiny, 9+ if both Stunty/Tiny). If I make it you take 1 wound, if I blow it you take 2, and if I roll a Natural 1 you take 3. If you're already injured, a Natural 20 on the save will recover one wound instead (from adrenaline). Afterward, I'll roll (the winner's Warfare)d10 for both sides, and subtract one die rolled per wound dealt on the saving throw. So if someone has Warfare 5 and the losing side blows it with a Critical 1, taking 3 wounds, I'll roll 2d10 for the winner and 5d10 for the loser.

Any 7 or 8 will deal 1 additional wound (to all combatants on that side) unless heavily armored or magically protected, a 9 rolled will deal two wounds (1 if armored/protected), and a 10 deals three in all cases. I will automatically have characters retreat from battle if they reach Badly Hurt or worse; if a character retreats, the opposing force has a 50% chance for a 3d10 parting shot (which could kill you).

Wounds regenerate at the rate of 1 per game month, or 2 if you don't do any Action (just remind me you're resting) that month. Some races get better (or worse) regeneration, and some races also take more than one wound a hit (which will compound with Stunty/Tiny). While the realm of ressurection and Raise Dead isn't out of the question (depending on what Tweaks are picked), it's not going to be easy and will have to be researched.

[tabs: Magic Use]

For magic, The Civilization begins with all of the 0 level spells for both Divine and Arcane casters ( http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/so ... Spells.htm and http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/cl ... ericSpells ). Researching a new spell level is a Finest Hour that can be attempted only at Midsummer or Winter's Meet (or any time Celestial Eclipse is triggered if you decide to take Ponies and their Racial Power). Your highest spell level possible is your Spiritual (divine spells), Sorcery (arcane spells), or Healing (spells that recover wounds), while the number of spells you can know at maximum is equal to (Mana sub aspect +1). You can research spells of up to +2 spell levels but they may come with strings attached.

Each time you research spells (an SA; a new spell level available is a FH), if you are not a caster and succeed, you'll get one random spell of a random available level added to the Civilization's library. If you're a caster, you get 1d2 if a Hobby, 1d2+1 if a Skill and 1d3+1 if an Occupation (with the chance for new and unusual spells as well) During combat and dungeon runs I'll take spells in the library into account for ideas on how best to deal with problems.

[tabs: Experience Points]

Every Midsummer, I'll look at the AP and MP of the players and of the amount in the "general pool" (AP/MP generated from write-up Actions). Players will receive ( (Current AP * 3) + (Current MP * 7)) EXP, +10% of that per SA spent, 20% per FH spent, and +30% if you entered Trance (once-a-year bonus only) done during the year. In addition, all players will receive ( (Current AP * 2) + (Current MP * 3)) EXP from the "general pool". Every 350 EXP will equal a Level and the EXP will be reset to 0; this is subject to change after the first year based on the net result of the first 12 months. Experience will be credited only once. While Player AP/MP translated to EXP will not "disappear" afterward, it can only be "credited" once. I'll be splitting AP/MP into two piles after the first year, the "credited" and the uncredited. AP/MP spent will always come from the credited pool first.

I'll also take the amount of AP and MP in the "general pool" and average it out, then award that to all non-inactive players (1 game year without voting will make you Inactive and the moment you go inactive, a slot opens for other players). Each Aspect will receive 1 EXP per point of AP and 3 per point of MP in the general pool before AP/MP values are reset to 0; Aspects can gain a maximum of 4 levels if the General Pool is large enough.

Each time a Player gets an Experience Level, one of five results can happen (chosen by player): A) increase a Base Aspect EXCEPT Personal by 30% of the amount required for its next level, B) add one Wound to personal strength, C) bank a Critical 100 for personal use, D) regenerate 3 SA and 1 FH immediately, E) Advance a Hobby to a Skill (50% chance of success) or a Skill to an Occupation (25%). New Hobbies cannot be chosen until you only have two hobbies left.

[tabs: The Five Heralds]

This game, I will be promoting five Players or Voters (Voters get priority over Players) to Heralds each month. They get to "direct" the Civilization as a whole in a general aspect, saying what the general public is going to focus on (this can be an Action different from the write up's seven choices). In effect it is the "common unimportant person's" Standard Action. I won't even roll this, it will be assumed to be moderately successful (but never a crit).

The Action should be kept fairly broad and short (about the length of a Twitter tweet; I'll be using Twitter to shorten actions to 140 letters!), such as "focus on farming" or "focus on scouting/exploring, maybe in X direction" or "focus on magic with interest on water element"... things like that. For every 7 AP spent from the general pool, they may make one extra "broad" Action to a maximum of 21 AP (which would be roughly a paragraph's worth of Actions total). If they choose to hold action instead, the "general pool" of AP/MP will increase by 3% (with an additional 5% bonus if all five Heralds hold action). Herald actions will be posted as single sentences, in a paragraph titled "Background Noise". Sometimes Herald actions will open up new storylines, so they're not as useless as they look.

There are five Heralds, four named as an Ace from the Tarot deck and each concerned with one aspect of the Civilization: The Herald of Swords (Military might and defense, where to go, what to train, who to piss off, who to piss on), the Herald of Wands (Magical might, both in its research and its applications), the Herald of Cups (Cultural and Spiritual might, dealing with other societies and the spirit realm) and the Herald of Pentacles (Material might, allocation of resources for building things). The last Herald is the Fool (named more for fool's luck than stupid moves) that is an all-around general Herald... a Utility Herald, so to speak. The Fool's Action does have a chance to Critical, but only if A) no AP was spent with any of the Aces and B) the Fool spends 25 AP and 10 MP. If the Fool ends up Critical-ing (d100 roll with no modifiers, 95+) the Action goes off with the power of a Finest Hour. If the Fool critfails, three Hazards will go off at once.

The Herald title will switch from person to person randomly. Voter turnout and population (lack of a better word) will define how often people get a shot at Herald, but right now it's no more than once per year per invidual type of Herald. (so yes, theoretically one person might get lucky and be all Heralds at different times of the year). This ought to keep those lazy bums from being inactive... Players (those with characters) who didn't get to be Herald in a game year get a bonus multiplier of 1 to their EXP at Midsummer to compensate. For every additional 7 voters who stay active, another Fool will be added to a maximum of five total Fools (if we get this many, a Herald Council of advisors will be created).

[tabs: Hazards]

Finally, we're adding another little thing called the Hazard Bar. It starts at 0 and increases by 3d7 per month, +1 per action done (so choosing the three in the writeup automatically increase it by 3). When it hits 100, a "misfortune" occurs. They are minor, usually used to give "fluff", or to open the way for a potential storyline. Each time a Hazard goes off, I will roll 3d10.

If I roll doubles, it is a beneficial personal effect (such as finding treasure or completing research ahead of schedule), given to a random player. No player will be targed twice in a row if back to back doubles are rolled.
If I roll triples, it is a greatly beneficial effect (akin to a Critical 100), targeted at the Home Village in general or 3 players (50/50 odds).
If the roll features numbers in ascending order (such as rolling 4-5-6), then it will be featured as a storyline opener or game-changer (an "ascendant roll"). However such a game-changer can only go off once per year, and a second or further ascendant roll will only result in "regular" un-beneficial Hazards.
If I roll 0-0-0 or 7-7-6 (in that order), the Hazards go from just obnoxious to Really Evil, and will probably require an FH to deal with.

If I roll anything else, it's a Hazard, and I'll come up with a monkeywrench in the current situation by rolling Personal + 3 random Sub Aspects against a difficulty of 80. If I make the roll the Hazard is merely an annoyance/delay to make you think on your feet in a "hey, think fast!" moment (alchemy experiments might go awry, construction of a building might hit a snag). If I blow it, the Hazard is something that makes you think on your feet with a cost attached (dangerous, but not deliberately fatal; almost always a save at 9+) and if I critically blow it, the Hazard is flat out destructive and requires recovery of some kind. Hazards will -usually- (but not always) require an SA to mitigate, so you may want to keep one saved up just in case. Hazard rolls will generate AP/MP as usual, and if it is a beneficial effect, the targets of the effect get the -full- amount of AP/MP generated.

A Hazard's theme will be based off of whatever the (unmodified) highest roll was during Actions -unless- a Critical Failure or Success's been rolled, in which case I'll base it off that instead and make the saving throw more difficult. Saving throws relating to hazards will usually be 9+, with a 13+ on a Critical Success Hazard and a 17+ on a Critical Fail Hazard.[/tabs]

In the last Civ, racial tensions blew over. Centaurs and Wemics exterminated each other (long live Narasimha and Myron), the Drow doomed themselves through greed and poor choices, the Grippli turned into the dominant race... but I'm a glutton for punishment, so we're going to try that again! There will be another racial vote, and the top 5 races will be joined together to form the tribe, each vote adding 70 members of that race. You can choose how to train these 70 to your personal taste. Racial tensions remain, so if you pick incompatables, there is going to be *trouble*. I hope you learned that with the LAST early-goings back in October of 2013! good gods has it really been that long?
Last edited by Aegis J Hyena on Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Re: Civilization 6 Theorycrafting

ext, the Universe Tweaks. Here's the full list; you can vote for up to ten from this disgusting mess of sets and I'll take the top 7 (or less depending on if you get Tweaks costing multiple Tweaks). After that I'll select three by random generation (if you pick Stunty for example, Giant might be a possibility in the random roll, canceling it out). Meanwhile, the three that make up the bottom part of the top ten will be available to be "unlocked" somehow during the course of the game... -except- in the course of Environment tweaks, since those can simply be learned easily.

A few rules to live by:

* Nothing that costs multiple Tweaks to purchase will show up in the "Random Generation" roll. Monster Zoo is the exception to the rule.
* Also not appearing in the Random Generation: Loner, Sentient Animal, Space, Habitat, Elemental, One Life to Live, Forever Alone, Doomsday Clock, Warrior, Wizard, Religious, Roguelike, and any of the Food Tweaks.
* If "extra" tweaks are gained, a second vote will be held after the first is "locked in" but there's only going to be one "additional vote" (nothing in the second vote will grant Tweaks even if they're supposed to).
* If Tweaks costing more than one to purchase make it into the top 7, anything still remaining on the top 10 will go into "unlockable" mode. So if you decide to get Blessed Realm and Genetically Stable (total 6 Tweaks), only one more Tweak will be used at the start and the remaining 7 would be unlockables during the course of the game, evenly spaced out among 30 game years.
* The maximum number of extra Tweaks you can have is 13, but only the top 7 will be available at the start, with the other six becoming unlockable at 5 year intervals.

Set I: LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION: This is just background tweaking, since the stuff in this set isn't really able to be filed under "Environment" specifically. You can take more than one of course, so having massive sprawling lairs (say, Citadel + Town + Monestary with a Dungeon Maze beneath it) are possible...

Set II: ENVIRONMENT: Multiple votes here will be combined. Aquatic + Mountain would equal survival in underwater mountains. Dry + Aquatic might mean a desert planet with no land life but a rich ocean. Dry + Humid might equal a desert planet with a very large oasis and jungle around it. And yes, I'll think of something if say you decide to vote for an obscene amount of environments. Your starting location will default to any environments you pick as Tweaks, or randomly (but in a stable, safe location) if no environments are taken. Each Environment Tweak grants 15 "specialists" (though they're neither casters nor warriors; just journeymen) trained in that element added on to the population.

Set III: MAGIC: Yes, Dead Magic Zone, Low Magic, and Ley Line Node stack, providing a... unique situation, should you pursue it.

SET IV: SOCIETY: Here's a bunch of fun stuff dealing with the society of the realm. Dare you pick Loner? :P

.[tabs: Accelerated Maturity] Children grow up FAST, shaving two years off growing up (Minimum 6 months). Costs two Tweaks. On the other hand, it also cuts natural life expectancy in half (Elders may die of old age after a time) and requires 25% more food to survive.
[tabs: Bookworm] The Civilization is built on books, reading, and wizard magic. Sorcery advances at twice normal rate and Spiritual and Technology are cut in half. On the other hand, when wizards fight, there's usually nothing left once the magically-radioactive dust settles, ruining civilizations for hundreds of miles.
[tabs: Distressingly Furry] Your nearest neighbors are (neutral) Anthropomorphic Animals of some kind and no nearby neighbor within a year's travel will be "humanoid"; it will all be animal based (Lycanthropes, Wemics, Skaven, Garou, etc). On the other hand, Actions are affected by the phases of the moon (-30 penalty for Actions under a new moon, to +30 bonus for a Full Moon) and celestial events / omens will have much much greater impact. Moonphase is randomly rolled when Actions are done unless you say when you're doing it; if everyone always does everything at full moon, that will soon become predictable to their enemies...
[tabs: Fast Breeding] Breeding is sped up by 25% and a year is shaved off breeding times (minimum 1 year). On the other hand, you'll need a lot of food to feed all those mouths (about 70% more). Canceled by Sickly Breeding.
[tabs: Forever Alone] There are NO civilizations other than yours. The only threats will be from animals, magical and supernatural beasts, politics, and internal trouble. On the other hand, while you don't have to share resources, if things go bad then there's no one to help you either! The Spirit Realm will be as empty as the physical. Overwrites Lawful/Underdark Connections and anything that deals with people and other civilizations.
[tabs: Hivemind] The society functions off of a central hive mind. This grants several bonuses (hard to flank, psychic protection, emotional strength, etc). On the other hand, if the central Queen is killed, the civilization fragments and collapses. There is only one Queen or Central Mind, although another may be grown once every 7 years. Formicids and the Simple Celled start with this Tweak.
[tabs: Inbred] The Civilization carries multiple genetic deformities (bad sight, dulled senses, albino, twisted limbs, Sloth). On the other hand, it also grants an additional two Tweaks and one additional "rolled randomly" Tweak.
[tabs: Interracial+] The Civilization starts with 1 random additional racial pro from three randomly rolled races. Costs 2 Tweaks. On the other hand other civilizations may be jealous or consider you abominations to be hunted and eliminated.
[tabs: Interracial-] The Civilization starts with 1 random additional racial con from three randomly rolled races. On the other hand it grants an additional Tweak and 20 members of the races that were randomly rolled; these are neutral to start and specialized in some way.
[tabs: Jack of All Trades] The Civilization generates AP, MP and Trance at twice normal rate but on the other hand difficulties will be 15 points higher than they otherwise would be.
[tabs: Lawful Connections] The Civilization is friends with two Lawful Races, overruling natural tendencies and allowing the sharing of resources. On the other hand, a Great Evil will crawl across the land as a second Main Quest and you'll need to use everything at your disposal to drive it back!
[tabs: Loner] The Civilization is extremely stubborn and hard headed where the characters ignore the wishes of their players, not always doing the right thing. Picking three options from the write up becomes picking two, with the third being chosen for you. SAs and FHs have a 50% to be ignored when attempted (but you still lose it as if it were used if Loner triggers). Grants an additional four Tweaks and three "special" Gifts not related to the Aspects.
[tabs: Nomadic] The Civilization is tribal and nomadic, traveling with the food source (s) and spending their nights in tents and minor fortifications that can be quickly broken down. On the other hand, you have to travel as fast as your food, making heavy armor and carrying a lot of goods not such a decent idea.
[tabs: One Life to Live] The Civilization loses the ability to wield magic that deals with healing and inflicting wounds (specifically the Cure/Inflict series of spells but bigger things like Restoration and Atonement are available) and cannot be raised nor ressurected whatsoever. You can't wield Necromancy at all, and only one in five Divine casters will be able to cast "alternate" healing spells (which must be researched, at 90+ Difficulty or greater). On the other hand, you also know your anatomy to a point that you can regenerate wounds three times as fast if you take no Action but rest, and deal +2 wounds on bare-handed attacks. Grants an additional two tweaks.
[tabs: Population+] You start with a population increase of 30% of the top 3 races. On the other hand, this extra increase is of a "rogue faction" whose loyalty you must win.
[tabs: Population-] You start with a population decrease of 40% of the top 3 races. On the other hand, you start with twice as much food, masterwork gear and an additional Tweak.
[tabs: Pro] The opposite of Loner; the Civilization rolls twice and uses the better result on Actions (and yes, the effects of two rolls means Aspects advance at double the speed). Stacks with some racial skills. Costs three Tweaks and what once was unlockable becomes locked. If paired with Loner, Loner will trigger on the second roll so that it might not always happen.
[tabs: Racial Enemy] The nearest civilization is your racial/tribal enemy. There will never be peace and they forever outnumber you at least 3d2 to one. On the other hand you guys are tough from constant battle and have +5 wounds.
[tabs: Religious] The Civilization is dominated by a religious group that rules with iron robes and ironer... er, fists. You're far more in touch with your deities than most and Spiritual will advance at twice its normal rate. On the other hand, holy wars will consume the civilization's time either against enemies... or from inside as differenting sects emerge!
[tabs: Roguelike] The Civilization is led by a Dark Underground built to undermine those who are more powerful than themselves. The Civilization will be masters in all things shady, but on the other hand, they'll also be targeted for spreading wealth, arms and support to the enemies of the Lawful Races!
[tabs: Sentient Animal] Instead of a sentient being, 2/3 to 3/4 of the population are sentient animals with average intelligence. Animal will be chosen by players, and all will be same animal. On the other hand, you have your place in the food chain, start as nomadic hunter/gatherers, and likely have no hands with which to manipulate the world. Primates of any sort are not valid animals :P If you want Humans, pick Humans, they're ape enough.
[tabs: Sickly Breeding] Breeding speed is cut in half. 15% of those die at birth. 15% who survive die in childhood. On the other hand, those that survive are robust (+3 wounds). Canceled by Fast Breeding.
[tabs: Solitary] The Civilization is PCs only instead of a traditional civilization, and you prefer your own "monkeysphere" (tribemate PCs) to the idea of a greater civilization. This reduces need for almost everything to a small group. On the other hand, you're vastly outnumbered in an extremely unforgiving land...
[tabs: Underdark Connections] Friendly tribe of (Underdark critter) trades with you, allowing access to nifty stuff. On the other hand the enemies of the Underdark (Lawful Races) might be gunning for you if they suspect you're friendly or supplying them.
[tabs: Tolerant] The Civilization is tolerant of other species, and this filters to others. First contact with other civilizations will never be worse than Neutral, and racial "uncomfortableness" is eliminated. Current wars will begin with uneasy, fragile truces. On the other hand, a rival religion is preaching eternal war with you, both from outside sources and a cult within!
[tabs: Violent] The opposite of Tolerant. The Civilization is vicious and warlike, which grants a mighty berserker rage and summonable "brothers in arms" based on your race. Peace will not usually be an option and you are in favor of "might makes right." On the other hand, if you start something, you damn better well finish it... or be considered cowards. No one wants that, do they?
[tabs: Warrior] The Civilization's built upon warrior tenets. Whether these are berserker, knight or trained soldier ranks is up to you. Warfare increases at twice normal rate. On the other hand, you'll take 50% more damage from magic.
[tabs: Xenophobic] Social rolls suffer a 40% penalty and increase at 1/3 normal rate. On the other hand, because people know you don't like them much, other civilizations will usually leave you alone. Grants 2 Tweaks.[/tabs]

SET V: PERSONAL: These are bodily Tweaks to give you a one-up on the opposition.

.[tabs: Antennae] The Civilization has visible antennae that sense surroundings in a seven foot radius as well as detect invisibility, making it very difficult to sneak up on (and thus you can see in the dark even if blindfolded). On the other hand, if the antennae are cut off, all other senses are severely impaired... and your enemy will know this and exploit it.
[tabs: Avian] The Civilization is a bunch of egg-layers, requiring a place of strength and defense to build and defend the eggs. Grants three Tweaks and special Berserk Frenzy bonuses when defending them. On the other hand, intelligent creature eggs (such as dragon eggs) are delicacies in many cultures, so... Lizard Men, Grippli, Skyborne and Chelydrians start with this Tweak (and the berserk frenzy, but not the three extra bonus Tweaks).
[tabs: Augmentation] The Civilization has augmented physical and mental capabilities thanks to an outside source. On the other hand, if you've got the gifts, other civilizations might get them as well or covet you as slaves! Costs two Tweaks.
[tabs: Chameleon Skin] The Civilization can change the color of its skin, providing stealth in a number of environments. On the other hand, such skin is deviant from mother nature, and therefore valuable in Sorcery...
[tabs: Claws] The Civilization has razor sharp claws that deal +1 wound and can be used for digging. On the other hand, "magical" metals (especially Mithril and dragon scales) cannot be pierced through.
[tabs: Cold Blooded] Extreme heat speeds you up (Haste), extreme cold slows you down or stops you cold (heh) forcing you into hibernation. On the other hand, you have a -3 to saving throws against extreme sources of Heat and Cold. Lizard Men, Grippli and Chelydrians start with this Tweak.
[tabs: Dragon's Blood] The Civilization's members are descendants of an ancient Wyrm, 1 in 3 is related to the dragon directly, 1 in 20 has markings declaring heritage, 1 in 35 has Scales (armor, elemental resistance), 1 in 70 has large wings for flight, 1 in 90 has Breath; PCs will have a 1 in 5 chance to have any or all five of these. On the other hand, you may suffer the same weaknesses dragons have (greed, elemental attacks, Familicide, etc).
[tabs: Extra Arms] The Civilization has an extra pair of arms to help with the heavy lifting (+5 Strength, +1 wound). on the other hand, other civilizations don't have these extra arms, thus their clothes, armor and otherwise aren't suited to you.
[tabs: Fuzzy] Your Civilization comes equipped with a thick layer of fur, protecting from the elements to an extent and giving some slight natural armor. On the other hand, your pelts are valuable for their warmth... and -you- try wearing clothes and armor over such thick fur; in a hot environment this could be trouble!
[tabs: Genetically Stable] The Civilization is very resistant to Transmutations, Warpstone Mutations, Necromancy, and body-affecting spells, being unaffected by them 50% of the time and having a +5 to the saving throw the other half of the time. It also grants 80% disease resistance and a +25% population increase every year. Costs 3 Tweaks. On the other hand, such power in the genetics means you WILL be hunted by others looking for such biological secrets!
[tabs: Giant] The Civilization is 50% bigger in size than normal, allowing access to larger than man-sized weapons and technologies which enable you to both deal more damage as well as be able to take more damage (+3 Wounds). On the other hand, have you ever tried building homes for an entire tribe of giants? Things get expensive. Cancels and is canceled by Stunty or Tiny.
[tabs: Hooves] The Civilization has large hooves in place of feet. Deals +1 wound in combat (a kick attack). On the other hand, hooves are associated with the Infernal Realms, and other civilizations will not treat you with as much respect as they would normally because of that (-8 to Social rolls).
[tabs: Horns] The Civilization has horns that can be used to headbutt, to knock back enemies and break down fortifications. On the other hand the horns are seen as very valuable in both jewelry and in magic use, and therefore you may be hunted for them.
[tabs: Large Bone Plates] The Civilization has armor-boosting bone plates along its body, arms and legs. Armor value increases over time. These plates can be used to backhand an enemy (treated as a mace). On the other hand, all this extra bone is very heavy, slowing you down and you can't wear most forms of armor.
[tabs: Lycanthropy] 40% of the Civilization's population is a Were (mammal, chosen randomly), with power based on the animal rolled. On the other hand, half of that are uncontrollable lycanthropes and dangerously emotionally unstable!
[tabs: Nightstalker] The Civilization is attuned to the shadows and can Blink from shadow to shadow. Grants exceptional stealth. On the other hand, if detected, the effect is disasterously easy to counterspell... or completely remove entirely (though the ability regenerates after one game year)!
[tabs: Powered By Death] The Civilization gets a great deal of spiritual and regenerative power from killing mortal things. On the other hand, like any other addictive drug, the death must constantly flow and sooner or later sacrificing your own people (or common animals) will not be enough to sustain you.
[tabs: Powered By Pain] The Civilization gets power from physical pain, bolstering their offensive and defensive capabilities (wound resistance and a bonus to saving throws). On the other hand, such constant pain ruins your social life (-20 to all Social rolls) and you attract Demons, potentially major ones.
[tabs: Prehensile Tail] The Civilization has a prehensile tail that can be used as an extra hand, snap like a whip, or to "hang around." On the other hand, such thick tails may slow you down, or ruin sense of balance if they're cut off (when you're not tripping over them or getting them caught on something).
[tabs: Scaled] Your Civilization has pangolin scales, which adds natural armor and a minor resistance to arrows. Yes, you can roll up in a ball for shielding. On the other hand, you're also weaker against those things that traditionally harm dragons.
[tabs: Spiny] The Civilization has evolved spines. This allows damage on contact, like a porcupine. On the other hand, the spines take 6 months to grow back if they break off and you can't wear most forms of armor.
[tabs: Stink] The Civilization stinks, literally. Whether it's to drive off predators or mark territory or what have you, the Civilization has some potent glands. On the other hand, said glands are very valuable in research and so you may be hunted for them.
[tabs: Stunty] The Civilization's only about 50% as big as they should be in size. This means you can fit and fight in tight spaces where others cannot reach. On the other hand, small size makes you easy to injure (+1 wound to all injuries) and you can't wield bigger things. Cancels and is canceled by Giant.
[tabs: Taur] You're quadraped, not biped. You have a greater constitution and health (+2 Wounds) and can move at a faster speed. On the other hand, large size like this will require greater amounts of food (40% greater).
[tabs: Thick Skull] The Civilization's evolved to have a very thick skull. This protects against mental effects and being knocked out or psychically assaulted. On the other hand, such skulls are valuable for magic theory and study, thus you may be hunted.
[tabs: Tiny] The Civilization is 33% normal size, which means less space is needed to live and it's easy to hide from one's enemies. On the other hand, you take +2 wounds on injuries and dealing with Big Races (everyone else) might be difficult. Stacks with Stunty (reducing you to 15% size and +3 wounds to injuries) but is canceled by Giant.
[tabs: Venomous] The Civilization packs a potent poison, by bite, claws or blood. Stacks with Lizard Man venom. On the other hand, surrounding civilizations will already know you're poisonous and will have taken steps to antidote it with varying degrees of success.[/tabs]

SET VI: FOOD IS GOOD: I added a couple here since just Carni and Herbi are boring on their own. These'll overrule a creature's natural diet, so you can have Carni-Ponies or Herbi-Orcs or somethin'. More than one from this list and you will be omnivores "but prefer [Tweak]".

SET VII: OTHER STUFF: Random stuff I couldn't fit anywhere else.

.[tabs: Animal Riders] 30% of the total population will own a Dire (something) that is domesticated and can be ridden. On the other hand, it's also more mouths to feed, train, house, and prevent from in-fighting in the case of multiple species.
[tabs: Cavalry] The Civilization thrives on (something)-back. 75% of the population will have a (really stupid, but trained) large riding beast of some kind. On the other hand, it's more mouths to feed and stop from wandering off or being stolen, and these beasts of burden make poor combatants...
[tabs: Chocobo] Chocobos are available for the Civilization. These bird-brained featherheads provide a 250% increase in overland speed and a good source of meat. Different colors give special abilities. On the other hand, you have to find them and tame them first, and their special abilities will be used against you to avoid such a taming! WARK!
[tabs: Eidolons] The Civilization has the power to summon powerful elemental avatars to do their dirty work. On the other hand, if you can do it, so can your enemies! Costs 2 Tweaks.
[tabs: Golgotha] Someone of the Civilization's top race just ascended to (demi)godhood. The site of ascension is a holy site for the Civilization. You will not have contact with this being (they're off in another dimension being trained :P ). Greatly boosts spiritual power and provides a powerful shrine. On the other hand, if the site is destroyed or befouled, your spiritual power will completely drain away, along with your means of magical healing.
[tabs: Doomsday Clock] The Civilization is built close to the realm's Doomsday or an earth shattering Grand Disaster. The Civilization will be one of the very few who survives (not without heavy loss, but it WILL survive) the abrupt change from the World of Light to the World of Ruin. On the other hand, resources you control will be vastly valuable to those others that do survive. Grants 3 extra Tweaks.
[tabs: Marked for Death] Something big's targeted the Civilization for some form of revenge. Could be an army, a dragon, or something else "large". On the other hand you're already wise to the tricks of the revenge-minded, which will allow you to plan accordingly for bonuses against a favored enemy.
[tabs: Mark of Coyote] Spiritual power is doubled and 5% of the population can "talk to god". On the other hand, technology and sorcery advance at 1/3 speed and those who can't "talk to god" also have a tough time being influenced (or gifted) by said god. Costs two tweaks.
[tabs: Monster Zoo] The limits on races are lifted; ALL votes will be included in the starting Civilization instead of the top five races. This could lead to some VERY interesting situations and benefits as multiple pros and cons intermingle (or nuclear explosions and internal strife as wars get out of hand...). On the other hand, such a high population of so many different races will bring trouble both from outside civilizations thinking there's a monster migration... and trouble from within in the form of potential genocides! Costs 2 Tweaks and is the exception to the rule; Monster Zoo CAN show up in Random Generation!
[tabs: Pirates] Each vote starts aboard their own ship (so it's a medium to large ship) and you start as an armada from a central island under your control. Maximum of ten ships (so 20 votes get 140 per ship, thus larger ships...). On the other hand, there is *always* a bigger fish than you and the ocean is deep indeed...
[tabs: Scaled Experience] All monsters, animals, and other Civilizations will scale with you in experience. If you develop new means to deal with them, you can be sure that they will automatically have answers to those means shortly thereafter! Essentially turns the "arms race" dial up to 11. On the other hand, it -does- grant 3 extra Tweaks...
[tabs: Steampunk] Technology-based rolls have a 25% reduction in difficulty and you have access to a precious metal mine. On the other hand there's a well-established rival civilization that wants control of your resources (or you) and a truce is not an option.
[tabs: Technologically Inept] The Civilization's a bunch of neanderthals. Technology-related rolls can never be less than 90+ in difficulty. More advanced than the Neolithic Era cannot be replicated. Metals can never be smelted unless you steal someone's forges/smelters after witnessing how they work. On the other hand it also grants a council of 6 Masters ("Elders") to start and an additional two Tweaks.
[tabs: Vorpal Animals] The animals in the surrounding lands are hostile large/giant predators. Meat from hunts is increased by 50%. On the other hand, "named" Big Animals will be too close for comfort and quite clever...[/tabs]
Last edited by Aegis J Hyena on Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Re: Civilization 6 Theorycrafting

Now, onto the voting for the Civilization's Races.

Here's the list of available races, along with their Pros and Cons. Each vote for a race brings 70 members of that race to the civilization. When you do your vote, also list how you want the 70 members of that race to be divided up, and I will add everything together. You can make up your own job titles/classes and I will fit them in, so if one person votes goblins and has it divided between 35 healers and 35 arcane casters, another can vote goblins and say 35 warriors, 10 "orb slingers" and 25 "stone slammers", for example, and I'll make something up based on the job title you give. Breeding rate is listed as a percentage; to make it easier on me I will be averaging the total of the breeding rates and then adding a bonus of some kind based on common sense (rats get a higher bonus, goblins get some decent bonus, magical beasts get lesser bonuses) The top five votes for race will be in the starting civilization.

Player characters will (to start) be restricted to the top five races voted for once the composition of the tribe is set up. Once other intelligent civilizations are met, races from those civilizations can be taken, or if wandering adventurers are met, their races will become available. Pros and cons will be averaged (so in the case of three races being voted on with social difficulties of +20%, +20% and +50% then the total difficulty would be +30%). Some things that are alien to other races (such as the Formicids' unique various skills) will remain with their race only rather than potentially spreading to the rest of the races but you won't know which skills would filter down to the entire civilization. If the various Food Tweaks are taken, they will rule over natural tendencies (so Ponies, who are naturally Herbivores, will be Carnivores instead if that Tweak is taken). The top 3 get their Racial Power added to the Civilization, with the fourth remaining one becoming unlockable after 7 game years and the fifth becoming "lost knowledge" (may or may not be unlockable depending on story)

Every Winter's Meet, I'll take the current population, modify the percentage somewhat by current events, add bonuses from Home And Family, and then apply the new modified result.

Player cap is 20. Anyone who votes 5 times will be eligible for a character (and be considered a "Player"); after 20 characters the rest will go on a wait list (but remain active Voters for purposes of generating Heralds). If people die or go inactive, the wait list gets priority (d100 roll, high roll gets open slots). I am extending an invitation to various 4Chan boards and a couple webcomic boards to try to pull in a large group of players, as while /b/ is a pisshole, people CAN be civil elsewhere (failing that, I'll just sic Moose on them). While those who are "slow" or arrive later won't get a character to start per se, anyone who votes at least 5 times will remain eligible to be Heralds (so those on the wait list get a shot at acting). I expect I'll have a massive list of players by the time this is all over, but we'll see.

As a general rule:

HUMANOIDS are uncomfortable around Lawful Races, neutral toward the Animals and Outcasts, and afraid of Big Guys.
ANIMALS are uncomfortable around Lawful Races and Big Guys, are neutral to Humanoids, are afraid of Humans, and dislike Outcasts.
LAWFUL RACES are uncomfortable around Humanoids, will attempt to enslave Animals, and openly dislike outcasts and Big Guys (but not enough for open fighting at the start). If there are two or more non Pony Lawful Races, they will attempt to tag-team any Humanoids into subservience before the Civilization story opens.
BIG GUYS don't like each other, are neutral to Animals, and especially dislike Outcasts (open fighting at the start is possible before the Civilization story opens). They will bully Humanoids but not directly harm them. They are (usually) neutral to Lawful Races. Two or more Big Guys is dangerous; three or more is asking for trouble.
OUTCASTS are uncomfortable around Lawful Races, are neutral toward Animals and Humanoids, and are afraid of Big Guys. If there are two or more Outcasts, they will bully around but not directly harm Lawful Races before the Civilization story opens.
Skaven hate everyone and are hated equally in return.
Maeterra are neutral to everyone except Skaven; they hate them just as much as everyone else does.
The Simple Celled are neutral to everyone, including Skaven, who don't know what to make of them and thus avoid them like the (heh) plague.

The following combinations are currently in a state of open war. Pairing these races together is simply asking for trouble or risking destruction from within right away.

Humans and Animals. Humans, as usual, are afraid of what they can't understand. They're currently in a war of extermination and won't accept the fact that they may be wrong. Animal races on the other hand are just trying to stay out of their way.
Drow and Elves. Naturally, this war will never end. The Drow have just suffered a major magical setback while the Elves have weathered spider-poisoned water supplies for the LAST time.
Dwarves and Goblins/Kobolds. Another never-ending war. So far, the Kobolds are winning through sheer numbers, but the Goblins are gaining fast as the Dwarves turtle up for their next push into Kobold territory.
Centaurs and Wemics. They'll never get along, will they? The Wemics are outlasting them in physical combat but don't do well in forests against Centaur bowsmanship. This is probably the "most neutral" of the wars in that they can (probably) be convinced to lower their weapons given a good enough reason.
Maeterra and Skaven. The giant raccoons actively hunt the Skaven, which they consider delicacies. Naturally, the Skaven (who are outnumbering them 8 to 1) want them dead for the same reason they want everything else dead.
Garou and Orcs/Skaven/Drow. The Garou have a bone to pick with the orcs' "incompatable" shamanistry, while the others want the heads of the Garou as trophies of spiritual conquest. The Garou have the upper hand except vs the Orcs, where it's even.

If Sentient Animal has been voted on for one of the tweaks, you still vote for race here and the animals will take on the traits of the top five races. If the Civilization is made up of mostly Animals AND Sentient Animal has been chosen, it just means the Civilization will be far more... primal-instinct.

You get -one- vote for race. The top five enter the Civilization; the losing votes will be divided up equally (as untrained journeymen) among the five that make it with any remainder going to the one with the most votes. Halfbreeds will be treated as a single vote rather than 2 votes for their two parent species.

THE HUMANOIDS: Because humans are so mindnumbingly dull.

.[tabs: Goblins]

Goblins are 3' tall energetic humanoids that tend to be light and springy on their feet, and come in a variable billion colors. They breed every year at a rate of 105%, their kids take 2 years to mature and their alignment starts as Neutral.

Goblins are known to employ Wolfrider Elites (10% of the goblin population; other races will have 3% riders) and are notorious for using the Group Swarm, which breaks morale to hostiles in combat (especially if they have a readied action and elevation bonus). While they typically live in communal "filth" (but that's just your opinion, man) such living conditions have given them a Biological Resistance, giving them a +3 to Saving Throws vs poison and disease, including magical variations and manufactured ones. They are also religious with a bit of Spiritual Affinity (Difficulty drops by 10% on Spiritual-related Actions).

Unfortunately, Goblins are also Socially Frowned On (Social Difficulties increase by 30%) and due to their small size they can only use "small" (low damage) gear. They are also Fragile, taking an additional Wound of damage on any hit, and their Low Wisdom means that research advances at half the normal rate.

Goblins' Racial Power is Maglubiyet's Blessing: All Actions have a +5 bonus. At Midsummer, all player Actions have a +30 bonus; at Winter's Meet, +40 bonus.

[tabs: Kobolds]

Kobolds are 2' tall doglike creatures with a touch of dragon in them and usually rely on sheer numbers and stealth to win. They breed every year at a rate of 95%. Kids take 2 years to mature. Their alignment starts as Neutral Evil.

Kobolds are masters of Crossbowmanship (+8 to all rolls using Crossbows) and are known widely for their Sorcery Affinity which drops the difficulty of Sorcery rolls by 10%. They have an Eye for Shinies which gives them +10 to all Dungeoneering rolls and they are Very Very Quick , always getting first strike in any combat as well as a +3 to Reflex Saves and dodging Actions.

Unfortunately, they are Very Fragile, taking 2 additional wounds of damage from any hit. They have a Low Wisdom which raises the difficulty of all Spiritual actions by 20%. Due to their small size, they can only use "small" (low damage) gear, and they are Highly Distrusted --- perhaps moreso than goblins. Because of this, social rolls roll twice and use the worse result.

Koboldian Racial Power is that of Dragonvision: All members of the Civilization will be able to detect stealth far easier and have a 60% to naturally Detect (but not See) Invisibility.

[tabs: Orcs]

Orcs aren't ugly, they're just drawn that way! They stand about six and a half feet tall, with upturned noses and a lower jaw full of upwards-pointing tusks. Bruteforce bashers, they aren't too keen on the arts of magic. Orcs breed every 2 years at a rate of 55%. Kids take 3 years to mature and 15% will not survive their coming of age. Their alignment starts as Neutral Evil.

Orcs are Big And Strong, taking 1 less wound of damage 50% of the time. They are also Divinely Stable giving them a +10 bonus to Spiritual Actions), and their Skill At War combined with Nerves of Steel gives them a +6 to all battle-related actions and an immunity to fear and morale breaking effects.

Unfortunately, they are Weak against Mind-Affecting Spells, Necromancy and Enchantments and always put Tribe Before Outsider, which means that Social Difficulty increases by 20% vs other Orcs and 30% for all others. While they may be strong as a boulder, they're also as Dumb As A Rock (Difficulty for Sorcery/Technology increases by 20%) and are a bit Socially Inept due to the tribal structure. so Social results are 20% worse than normal.

Orcish Racial Power is the Barbarian Chant. The Civilization has access to a chant that increases physical, magical and elemental resistances by 25% for two hours.

[tabs: Grippli]

Grippli are small (about 2-3 feet tall) anthro frogs. I must admit, I didn't expect them to go as far as they did in the last civilization. Anyway, Grippli breed every 2 years at a rate of 55% and their kids take 3 years to mature. Their alignment starts as Neutral Good. They are egg-layers and require special spawning pools for their children, which they will NOT begin with (Tweaks depending...)

Grippli have a thick, knobby hide, which gives them a bit of Natural Armor while their "elite" caste (about 15% of the frog population) has Toxic Skin that deals 3 wounds on touch, and one on spit with a time delay of another one an hour later. They are Socially Skilled, allowing Social rolls to roll twice and use the better result, and due to their connection with deities of nature they can Smite Evil three times per day by delivering a fierce tongue-lashing.

Unfortunately, they also have a Necrotic Weakness which gives them a weakness to Poison, Demons, Devils, Undead, and Necromancy in general. Their belief system also places an Aversion to Metal; using Metal is usually taboo and using metal in Actions does not generate Mastery or Action Points. They are Spiritually Open giving them a weakness to omens, celestial events, divine smites and dreams/nightmares, and since they are Cold Blooded they suffer in extreme tempratures.

Grippli racial power is that of Dragoonery. Members of the Civilization will be able to leap straight upwards of 30 feet[/color][/b] (less if wearing armor but never less than 10 feet) and can "Jump" in a stomping attack.

[tabs: Wemics]

Lion-esque counterparts to the centaurs, they're built for open plains and savannah but can survive just about anywhere else too with those big, wide paws of theirs. Strong tribal magic makes them a force to be reckoned with. Wemics breed every year at a rate of 50%. Kids take 4 years to mature. Their alignment starts as Chaotic Good.

Wemics have the ability to Step Sideways, allowing them to journey to the Spirit World and back quite easily. Such skill also gives them skill with Shamanistry giving them the ability to interpret omens, ward off smites, and speak with spirits/ghosts accurately. They're Really Damn Lucky (-2 DC and +3 to all Saving Throws), and their Great Endurance gives them +2 wounds and the ability to move at 133% normal speed over tough terrain.

Unfortunately, they put Tribe Before Outsider (Social Difficulty increases by 10% vs other wemics and 20% for all others) and their Fast Metabolism means they require 30% more food sources than normal. They are fiercely Anti-Sorcery causing Sorcery rolls to suffer a -12 penalty and a 30% increase in difficulty, while they're constantly involved in Tribal Warfare with themselves and others; tribal Civilizations nearby will be neutrally negative if not openly hostile to begin with.

Wemic Racial Power is the Needs of The Many. The Civilization's members can reroll their Finest Hour if it fails and can spend an additional 10 AP to reroll failed Actions (done at SA use, so if you don't need to reroll it, the 10 AP is wasted). Critical failure is still a critical failure.

[tabs: Gnoll]

Gnolls are 5 to 6 feet tall anthro hyenas. They're about as "tribal" as one can get in the sense of the word. Gnolls breed every year at a rate of 50%. Kids take 3 years to mature and they will kill their weakest (10%). Their alignment starts as Neutral Evil. Of -course- I was going to have my personal species added to the mix... :)

Gnolls are Greatly Skilled in War, with a +12 to all battle-related Actions and an additional 3 AP/MP generated when in combat. Their elites are Hyena Riders and 5% of total gnoll population will own a hyena (1% and the chief a Sabre-Toothed Dire Hyena). Gnolls are Resistant to Torture which means they will not break/divulge secrets, and they are the runners of the savannah; their Extreme Endurance allows them to travel three times as long as normal before needing resupply, with solo scouts able to move 200% normal speed over rough terrain.

Unfortunately, Gnolls are also Opportunistic so percieved advantages will automatically be acted on, even if they're obvious traps. Their active lifestyle gives them a Fast Metabolism which requires 30% more food sources than normal, and due to being "extreme tribals", they are also Socially Inept (Social results are 20% worse than normal). Finally their deity is a Vengeful Deity and will likely simply eat those who don't constantly succeed.

The Gnoll Racial Power is naturally The Last Laugh. The Civilization gains access to a mind-affecting enchantment that causes fear and unnerves opponents.

[tabs: Lizard Men]

6-foot or so tall lizardpeople (ruled by the Kroxigors, defended by the Sauri, and attended to by the Skinks) traditionally considered humanoids, so I decided not to make them Big Guys or Animals. They can gain a lot of power through sacrifice and death to their enemies. Lizard Men breed every 3 years at a rate of 35%, and are egg-layers. Kids take 2 years to mature. Their alignment starts as Neutral.

Lizard Men are naturally Venomous (By blood or fangs, players' choice) and begin with Amazon Slaves equal to 1/3 of the Lizard Man population. Their Divine Power gives them extra power through Sacrifices of important enemies and their resolve allows them to Stand Firm becoming immune to hostile movement-based effects, such as Hold Person, as well as knockback.

Unfortunately, Lizard Men suffer from Wyrm Weakness making them weak vs things that affect Dragons, such as dragon slaying. They are Cold Blooded which makes them weak against extremes of both heat and cold, and on top of that they have a Fast Metabolism which requires 30% more food sources than normal. Finally they have a Magical and Technological Ineptitude which gives them a -30 penalty to Sorcery and Technology-related rolls.

Lizard Man Racial Power is Dragonskin. The Civilization is unaffected by anything less than Masterwork gear and this resistance grows stronger over time.[/tabs]

THE LAWFUL RACES: They're the good guys, right? Uh... not exactly...

.[tabs: Humans]

The Humans are... annoyingly mundane to say the least, but they're here if you want them. Humans breed every year at a rate of 75%. Kids take 5 years to mature. Their alignment starts as Lawful Neutral.

Humans are Experienced, giving them a bonus of 5 to all rolls and +2 AP / +1 MP any time it is generated. They are Socially Intelligent which gives them a +12 to Social Actions, they are Resilient (+2 to all saves) and their skill in Bardic Knowledge gives them a 20% chance to identify unknown magic immediately.

Unfortunately, Humans are also Prideful (Social difficulty increases by 10%), they are Greedy (big treasures heard about -must- be sought out), they are Superstitious giving them a weakness to spirits (both the liquid and the supernatural kind), and they are Easily Corruptedas Necromancy has double its normal effect.

Humans' Racial Power is the Diplomatic Do-Over. The Civilization can reroll critical fails during Diplomancy, and even then, critical failures are only treated as regular failures.

[tabs: Elves]

Pointed ears. Thin physiques. Magical and swordery skill. What more do you want? :P Elves stand about 5 feet tall and breed every 5 years at a rate of 35%. Kids take 6 years to mature. Their alignment starts as Lawful Neutral.

Elves are known far and wide for their Magical Skill and their Sorcery/Spiritual difficulty is reduced by 20%. They have near equal skill in Swordsmanship, as their Melee Difficulty reduced by 30%. They have the gift of Beast Speech (naturally Speak With Animals) and are natural Ley Line Conduits allowing them to recharge magic faster and learn more magic when researching.

Unfortunately, Elves suffer from Supernatural Attraction and attract things like spirits, werewolves, and magical beasts. They are Somewhat Frail (-2 Wounds on the wound list, -2 to Fortitude saves), they are a bit Arrogant, as their Social difficulty increases by 20%, then increases by 9 vs non-friends and 4 for friends/allies... and finally they suffer from a bit of Magical Corruption; critical failures on magic rolls open dark paths to power that are very hard to resist.

Elven Racial Power is Magic Resistance. The Civilization has 30% Magic Resistance to area effects, and 10% Magic Resistance on individuals.

[tabs: Dwarves]

No Dwarf Tossing. No beard shaving, either. :P Highly creative, just not very good in magical skills. Dwarves stand about 4 feet tall and breed every 5 years at a rate of 75%. Kids take 4 years to mature. Their alignment starts as Lawful Good.

Dwarven constitution is known throughout the world and they are Extremely Robust, giving them +3 wounds and a 20% chance to not to be injured any time a wound is called for. They have Steampunk Mastery, beginning with knowledge of explodey things and the potential for actual guns, sentries and other weapons of war. They are also Hallowed giving them bonuses vs demons, undead, necromancy, and anything with an "Evil" tag, and finally they are Technologically Talented, with Technology difficulty reduced by 40%.

Unfortunately Dwarves are Not So Magical, as Sorcery difficulty increases by 40% and they learn spells at half the normal rate. They are Sheltered (Social Difficulty to "first contact" rolls vs non-dwarves increase by 30%, 10% to all other Social rolls), they are Greedy (big treasures heard about -must- be sought out), and finally they are well known to be Alcoholic --- Want to stop a dwarven war machine cold? Destroy their beer supply!

Dwarven Racial Power is the Heart of Mithril. The Civilization gets a +4 to all Saving Throws, and 50% resistance to Poison and necromantic/infernal effects.

[tabs: Centaurs]

You just knew women would be attracted to horses eventually, and this is the result. Masters of the bow and good warriors to boot. They're about 7 feet tall at the shoulder and breed every 3 years at a rate of 55%. Kids take 2 years to mature. Their alignment starts as Lawful Neutral.

Centaurs start with a Domestication Bonus giving them a +10 to taming animals and natural creatures. They begin with Supernatural Allies (such as Fey, Satyrs, Dryads, Spirits, etc). Their Bowsmanship is legendary; Actions involving bows have a +15 bonus and difficulty drops by 10%. Finally they can bring Regrowth to an area, bringing life to dead lands and giving a bonus to farming, though corrupted land cannot be regrown.

Unfortunately, Centaurs are Extremely Haughty; Social difficulty increases by 30%, then increases again by 15% vs other centaurs, 20% for all non-wemics, and 30% for Wemics. They, like the Dwarves, are Alcoholic, just replace "beer supply" with "wineries and grape farms." They suffer from a Weakness to Necromancy (-4 to Saving Throws) and are Moderately Xenophobic as "First Contact" rolls will never be better than Neutral and Social increases at half normal rate.

Centaur Racial Power is the Deadshot. Ranged attacks have a +20% damage modifier and are treated as +1 magic weapons for purposes of targeting those with resistances.

[tabs: Ponies]

My Little Pony, My Little Pony, oh my gods go die... #Brony :P Ponies are about half as big as Centaurs and breed every 2 years at a rate of 65%. Kids take 3 years to mature. Their alignment starts as Lawful Good. "Cutie Marks" have a chance to develop after the first level gained, gaining a +30 to all rolls regarding a particular purpose (which could be potentially useless, as it is rolled at random from a random "job" generator). You get no control over what your butt symbol is.

Ponies are Mystery Solvent (Something Interesting happens on a 60+ and a Mysterious Event on 70+) and very Mutation Resistant (Warpstone has no effect on Ponies and the Civilization will be at least 20% resistant as a whole). They have the ability to Weather Control; this allows them to control local weather with 30% accuracy within 500 yards (this scales by 2%/requires 15 Pegasi per Sorcery/Technology level). They are also very Skilled Healers and can regenerate 2 wounds per month instead of 1, with a 25% to regenerate 3 instead of 1, and a 5% to regenerate all instead of 1.

Unfortunately, Ponies suffer from a bit of Wild Magic since magic or Sorcery rolls that fail have a 20% to change to a random effect. Their Lack of Hands means they cannot wield/swing melee weapons effectively, their Soul Purity means they are too pure to be raised from the dead in any way and may attract powerful Infernal creatures, and they tend to attract Greater Magical Enemies such as large/giant magical monsters.

Pony Racial Power is the Celestial Eclipse. Once per game year the Civilization can call on a solar eclipse, allowing for special effects that would normally happen at such times (exotic spells, omens, research, summoning, etc).[/tabs]

THE OUTCASTS: Bugs, blobs, spider-elves and rats, oh my!

.[tabs: Formicids]

Some'd call 'em Thri-Kreen, others call them big ugly man-sized cockroaches. I call 'em Formicids. They stand about six feet tall and breed every year at a rate of 95%. They begin with the Hivemind Tweak. Kids take 1 year to mature but require an exotic mix of compounds known simply as "Royal Jelly" (placeholder name, will be renamed on Civ startup). Their alignment starts as Neutral.

Formicids have Immense Strength and can carry eight times their own weight. They possess a Poison Acid Spitthat deals 4 wounds, regenerates after 24 hours, and dissolves sedimentary stone quickly. They are Earthen Specialists (Anything involving earth-working rolls twice; use the better result) and having Four Arms means they can wield two 2H weapons, or multiple shields/weapons.

Formicids have No Religion; the concept is completely foreign to them, and they cannot worship deities; Spiritual provides no perks or gifts or bonuses at all. They are a Magical Null, being unable to wield Arcane or Divine Magic, period. Bug nervous systems are simple, making them extremely weak versus Natural Poison, Fire, and Necromancy (the Saving throw always fails on all of these), and finally they Can't Move, being immune to Movement-changing spells, including Hold Person, Hold Monster, Haste, Teleport, Blink, Paralysis... but NOT Petrification.

Formicid Racial Power is Alien Thought. The Civilization will be immune to mind-affecting spells and effects.

[tabs: Skaven]

http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Skaven
The Rats breed every year at a rate of 125%. Kids take 1 year to mature and they will kill their weakest (20%). Their alignment starts as Chaotic Evil.

The Rats are Sneaky Bastards and know where to hit to deal +1 wound of damage on any hit. Their living conditions have given them an Immunity to Natural Diseases (although Mummy Rot, etc., still hits), their starting population is doubled (140 instead of 70 per vote) and they start off with access to a Warpstone Mine to start giving them a big source of power... and potentially the mutations that come with it.

Unfortunately, the Rodents also have an Extremely Fast Metabolism which requires 80% more food, and some 15%-20% or so rats will drop dead after a battle due to exertion. Their Animosity (a -50 penalty to Social rolls with non-rats, -30 to rats, and social difficulty increases by 40%) effectively means they do not have, nor ever will have friends, and they are both Politically Unstable and Universally Despised. There will always be faction infighting and almost all other races will attack on sight, including other rats.

Rats have the Racial Power of The Horned Rat's Horror. The Civilization will be able to Cause Fear in enemies, rooting them to the spot via a foul appearance or disturbing presence.

[tabs: Drow]

Thin as a rail and frail in the HP department, but powerful in the magic department to compensate. Drow breed every 2 years at a rate of 45%. Kids take 2 years to mature. Their alignment starts as Neutral Evil.

Drow rival the Elves in Supreme Magical Skill (+25 bonus and -30% difficulty to Sorcery and Spiritual), their skill at Swordsmanship is no less matched by the elves (+10 bonus to combat Actions and dfficulty reduced by 10%), they have an Alchemy Expertise giving them a +15 to any and all rolls concerning it, and their Spider Affinity means that 10% of the entire starting population will own trainable Giant Spiders as pets.

Unfortunately, Drow suffer from Lloth's Vengance; She demands constant sacrifices of intelligent beings and is vengeful to Her own race. Any Civilization that has Drow in them will be Spidertouched (5% of the ENTIRE starting population will be Driders, not just the Drow, leading to social problems!), they cannot tolerate sunlight (as sunlight burns drow badly, though not vampire-badly) and their equipment suffers the same sort of Equipment Failure (Equipment and gear will rot immediately if exposed to daylight).

Drow Racial Power is Poison Immunity. All members of the Civilization will be immune to natural poisons and be 50% resistant to manufactured ones.

[tabs: The Simple Celled]

If you read certain comics, cross Schlock (Schlock Mercenary) with Fred (of GPF) and this is the result. If you don't read comics, imagine dwarf-sized blobs of translucent opalescent slime that can change color and pattern, have human intelligence, and have a Hivemind Tweak. The Simple Celled "divide" every two years at a rate of 100%. There are no "kids" as such. Their alignment starts as Neutral.

The Simple Celled are Physically Resistant; they take only 1/5 normal damage from physical weaponry. They are fast-growing in their bacteria pools and are Amazingly Resilient (Regenerate 5 wounds a month), they have an Immunity to Acid and can cause Chemical Control to convert water to acid and back again if immersed in it.

Unfortunately their strength against physical things shows in a weakness to all things magical; they are weak to Fire, Lightning, Cold (triple damage) and magic in general (-5 to Saving Throws). Like the Formicids, they have No Religion and are a Magical Null being unable to get bonuses from Spiritual nor can they cast spells, period. A lack of feet or appendages (though they can create pseudopods to hold items) means they are Slow to Move and Act; they move 50% slower than other creatures, and SAs/FHs take 60% longer to complete.

The Racial Power of the Simple Celled is that of Evolution. Once per game year the Civilization has a 15% chance to evolve one of the Personal (body) Tweaks at random, like horns or a prehensile tail. This chance increases in proportion to the Civilization's overall tension and stress levels and in response to outside stimuli.

[tabs: Half Breeds]

Halfbreeds get their pros and cons randomly rolled from their two parent races (4 of each), and start with double the normal population (35 Race A, 35 Race B, 70 Half Breed). Garou, Skaven, Formicids, Centaurs, Wemics, Simple Celled, Ponies and any Animals cannot be Half-Bred.

Their Racial Power is simply the Best of Both Worlds. The Civilization's Pros are increased by 10% and their Cons are reduced in penalty by 30%.[/tabs]

THE ANIMALS: I made up two races because I like raccoons and wanted to have something -really- unusual, and the other two are silly little additions.

.[tabs: The Maeterra]

Giant sentient raccoons about as big as a bear, with the warrior-build to match, the Maeterra breed every 2 years at a rate of 35%. Kids take 3 years to mature. Their alignment starts as Neutral Good.

The Maeterra have the Paws of a Craftsman (+10 to all rolls involving construction of any kind) and are rather Healthy (+2 wounds); they are skilled with Sword and Board tactics giving them a -10% difficulty to Warfare rolls when using Sword and Shield and they're damn Smart, allowing research difficulties to drop by 15.

Unfortunately, they are also Anti-Technology (-25 to all Technology rolls), they can be Hoarders which means there may be faction infighting over rare/valuable treasures, they are Very Magic Poor (One caster per 250 members) and are Actively to Exclusively Hunted as Maeterra meat is incredibly nutritious and pelts are used for magic cloaks.

Maeterra Racial Power is Masterwork Trade. The quality of the Civilization's goods is on par with Dwarves, or better if Dwarves are available to help.

[tabs: Mimigas]

Ok, so I'm a fan of Cave Story. It's only just recently that I actually thought up how they'd translate to a Civilization. The sentient rabbits are about three feet tall and breed every year at a rate of 95%. Kids take 3 years to mature. Their alignment starts as Neutral Good.

Mimigas, being rabbit-dog-things, Mate Like... Well, Yeah and are unaffected by population-damaging effects. They are Friendly to the outside world (Social Difficulty drops by 15%), they are Expert Cultivators with their farms having twice the normal yield, and they are Ranged Specialists giving a -3 to enemy AC and +3 to own AC when using or dealing with ranged attacks.

Unfortunately, the Mimigas have a Psychological Weakness to the color red; the more red seen, the greater the penalty. They are Cowards vs Magic (Sorcery Difficulty increases by 25% and Spiritual by 15%); they are Somewhat Frail (-2 Wounds on the wound list, -2 to Fortitude saves) and have a Weakness to Mind Affecting effects (most notably Berserk) and transmutation (automatically fails the save)

Mimiga Racial Power is Crystology. Knowledge of gems and jewels, as well as magic regarding the same, will be far easier to research, cast and come by.

[tabs: Skyborne]

A humanlike Avian species of meat-eatingchocobos parrots. Inspiration taken from Starbound's Avian race; these aren't the Kenku. Skyborne breed every 2 years at a rate of 50%. Kids take 2 years to mature. Their alignment starts as Neutral. They are egg-layers.

Skyborne are armed with a natural Armor Piercing Beak and have Spear Mastery (+6 to hit and damage). Their Wingsgive them a mediocre flight speed (nothing spectacular), and they also have a natural avian rapport with any Birds of a Feather (start with Gryphon, Hippogryph, Owlbear allies/mounts).

Unfortunately the Skyborne Cannot wield Earth Magic (and have very poor control over water magic). Due to their brittle and light bone structure for their wings they are also Very Frail (Take 3 extra wounds on a hit). They have a Dislike of Groundwalkers (Social penalty of -10 except for those who live in mountains) and they have a Fast Metabolismrequiring 20% more food.

Skyborne Racial Power is a Storm Cleansing. The Civilization can call down a hurricane once per game year to destroy their enemies.

[tabs: Chelydrians]

How's this? Dwarf-sized Anthropomorphic Turtles, because I couldn't think of anything else besides elephants and we already have ogres :P Don't call them Koopas, they're not. They breed every 3 years at a rate of 25% and are egg-layers. Kids take 3 years to mature. Their alignment starts as Neutral.

The Chelydrians are Superbly Healthy (+4 wounds) and due to their incredible memory and insight from livng forever are Expert Casters (being treated as one level higher for maximum level/number of spells available). They possess a Shielded Shell that turns aside arrows and bolts (Damage Reduction 3), and has a 15% to absorb Magic Missiles and other ranged touches. While they don't have ninja skills they do know where to strike for the greater damage (Improved Critical), allowing them to score critical successes on Warfare actions on 90+ instead of 95+.

Unfortunately the Turtles are Cold Blooded, suffering in extremes of heat and cold. They are Delicacies to the Lawful Races so they are likely to be intently hunted. They are Stubborn to New Ideas (Aspects advance at 1/3 speed) and are Somewhat Cursed (Critical Failures are 50% more potent and Hazards have a 50% to be hostile despite doubles or triples).

Chelydrian Racial Power is Divination. The Civilization will see base difficulties of rolls in writeup choices and 1 outcome will be predetermined.[/tabs]

THE BIG GUYS: Built for power and bashing over magic and sorcery... big on the physical, small on the... well, everything else.

.[tabs: Garou]

Spiritual werewolves with an emphesis on nature and pack, to defile mother nature or said pack are the greatest crimes. Garou breed every 7 years, at a rate of 25%. Kids take 8 years to mature, and births are a very noteworthy event. Their alignment starts as Lawful Neutral. Total population of Garou will be PCs plus their packs instead of 70 per vote. If more than five Garou characters are playing, they will be lumped together instead as a single pack.

PCs each lead a pack of 5 Garou; this pack always contains one trickster, one mage, one bard, one priest, one warrior and the PC picks which role of these five to fill. The Garou have a Totemic Strength; the tribe gets powers from a particular animal, dependant on animal, chosen by player vote later. PCs begin with a Klaive which is a powerful magic silver dagger bound to them by ritual, and they also have Gaia's Aura which allows them to regenerate 2 wounds a month, gives an immunity to Transmutation and Polymorph, and is very resistant to Necromancy.

Unfortunately, the Garou have a Weakness to Silver and Arcane Magic (like you're surprised) which makes them suffer 2 additional wounds against it. Silver damage heals at 1 per 4 months, and they have a +3 DC vs hostile spells. Garou have a habit to enter a Frenzy which makes them Berserk until they or target is dead, then they move on to new target until all enemies are dead. They suffer from The Black Spiral making them easily corrupted, especially if they spend too much time in non-natural surroundings, and always put Pack Before Outsider (Social Difficulty increases by 30% vs other creatures and 10% for other Garou).

The Garou have the Racial Power of Supernatural Endurance. The Civilization will be able to take twice as much damage (from mortal creatures) on the Wound scale.

[tabs: Minotaurs]

Minotaurs are the classical 10-foot tall bullmen everyone knows. Horned, hugely muscled, but terrible in the arts of magic. Minos breed every 3 years at a rate of 65%. Kids take 2 years to mature. Their alignment starts as Neutral.

Minotaurs are Very Big And Very Strong (Takes 1 less wound of damage, 2 wounds less 25% of the time) and Extremely Robust (+5 wounds on the wound scale, +3 to all Saving Throws). They are natural Juggernauts and can't be stopped once in motion (without high level or strong magic) and their Healthy Population means they are 90% resistant to disease, sickness, poison, and necromancy.

Unfortunately they are a bit of a Wild Animal, entering a Berserk Rage in battle, with a 50% to ignore commands from non-minotaur commanders and a 25% to ignore all commands outright. They are Very Magic Poor (One caster per 250 members), their Horns are valuable in Lawful Race magic (You may be hunted) and they are Very Stubborn to New Ideas (Aspects advance at 1/4 speed)

Minotaur racial power is of Resilience. The Civilization will be immune to Critical Hits.

[tabs: Ogres]

Giant neanderthals that stand about 8 feet tall, the Ogres are strong, but even the minotaurs are smarter than they are. Ogres breed every 3 years at a rate of 55%. Kids take 4 years to mature. Their alignment starts as Neutral Evil.

Ogres are Big And Strong (Takes 1 less wound of damage 75% of the time), are Spiritually Stable (Divine/Shaman magic is 50% harder to dispel), are very much Tied To The Earth (+15 bonus to Earth magic Actions and difficulty decreased by 20%) and get a Domestication Bonus (+10 bonus to domesticate big/difficult creatures/magical beasts).

Unfortunately they are also Boneheaded (10%/5% to forget SA/FH if used; Trance increases at 1/2 speed), they're Dumb As A Rock (Difficulty for Sorcery/Technology increases by 20%), they're Magic Poor (One caster per 100 members) and Stubborn to New Ideas (Aspects advance at 1/3 speed).

Ogres' Racial Power is a mighty Divine Intervention. The chief deity directly intercedes at a cost based on the Action (determined after Action goes off) once per year. Repeated callings may result in retribution.

[tabs: Trolls]

Trolls are seven-foot tall rubber-skinned atrocities built to rip and tear anything they meet into shreds. Trolls breed every 4 years at a rate of 45%. Kids take 2 years to mature. Their alignment starts as Chaotic Evil.

Trolls are well known for being Too Dumb To Die; anything greater than Badly Hurt has a 35% to completely regenerate to Uninjured at the cost of Trance. They have Supernatural Claws (which are treated as +2 magic weapons), they do not suffer "Potential Permanent Damage" (both wounds are treated as Badly Hurt) and they're known for their Regeneration (3 wounds per month instead of just 1)

Unfortunately, Trolls are also Really Stupid (20%/10% to forget SA/FH if used and Trance always only increases by 1/3 normal), Always Hungry (Requires 200% more food), Very Magic Poor (One caster per 250 members) and have a Weakness to Fire/Acid/Holy Magic which means they take double damage, they cannot regenerate, and injuries slow to 1 wound healed per 3 months

Trolls' Regeneration filters down to their Racial Power, giving everyone else in the Civilization Minor Regeneration. All Non-Troll members of the Civilization will regenerate +1 wound per month.[/tabs]

ENTRIES OPEN when I post the "official thread" (with a link back to this thread). I'm aiming for July 5th (if things go well this weekend) and September 1 or 31 (if they do not). If I don't open entries by September 31, I'll open them just as soon as I am stable.

ENTRIES CLOSE seven days afterward, to give people time to come in and read and post their own ideas. Use this thread to discuss ideas for what you'd like in the new Civ and bounce ideas off of each other / convince others Your Idea is Best Idea. Theorycrafting, engage!

warrl
Of Few Words

Re: Civilization 6: Comin... July 5th

Post by warrl » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:55 pm

Back in the first post, in one paragraph you introduced Standard Actions and Sub Aspects. Then you abbreviated one of them to SA. It wasn't obvious to me *which* one.

A change of terminology might be a good idea, but at least clarify the abbreviation.
My blog: Alien America - amusing incidents and creative misinterpretations

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:26 pm

SA is standard action.

Greatly looking forward to this.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:18 pm

Good point, warrl. I'll do that after I get resettled. In less than 24 8 hours I go to move in with someone for a few months. I hope that when I finally get back online in a week that there will be a big discussion going on about which things to take. Now go find your friends and tell them about the game and show them the threads!

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:22 pm

I'm really looking forward to it as well. :)

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:36 pm

I'm going to be tossing in a vote as well with a character this game. I think I might vote for dwarves instead of gnolls (what, did you expect me to be a species traitor)?

Some ideas:

Simple Celled + Aquatic = Jellyfish (that can convert the surrounding water to acid as a defense)
Skaven + Religious + Roguelike = Mafia-like Shadow Religion (maybe?)
Formicids + Extra Arms = even MORE strength
Nocturnal + Lava Layer = lair only where magma burns hotter with "darker violet colors"
Centaur or Wemic + Taur = 6 legs, longer body

Just random ideas. Interested to see what people discuss/come up with in this thread.

Nolandking
Converses Frequently

Post by Nolandking » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:31 am

Here was some of my idea from the other thread

Beast Kingdom (Thundercats and Legend of Chima inspired me on this idea) and = (Gnolls,Ponies,Anthro Kin/Skaven,Garou)
Army of Morder =(Citadel+Mysterious Benefactor+War Zone) + (Goblins,Orcs,Ogres/Trolls)
Ants Kingdom = (Formicids+Taur+Fast Breeding) + (Dungeon maze)
God Dragon = (Deviant Deity+Dragon's Hoard+Mysterious Benefactor) + (Lizard and Kobolds) Race of reptilian that worship an asshole dragon who think himself god.
Dwarf Fortress = (Rocky+Resource Rich) + (Dwarves!)

here some other ideas

Golgotha + Monestary = Monk like civilization that trains in the way of (kunfu...etc) await for there grandmaster to come back from his demigod training.
Mark for Death + Doomday Clock + Nomadic = How long can your civilization survive on the run as the world fells apart due to a powerful creature that hunting you.
Mysterious Benefactor + Dungeon Maze = (Dungeon Master game >:D )
Ferals Wild + Vorpal Animals + Niche + Warzone = Primals World ( It eat or be eaten in this world will your tribal civilization survive or be destroy by the predators. Only time will tell.
Resources Rich + Human +Abandon Town + Mysterious Benefactor = DND kingmaker ( The king/earl/duke etc has task you to rebuild an abandon outpost into a giant city in the wildlands.
Elves+One Life to Live+Sickly Breeding+Space= Some where in you races history an ancestor use some ancient technology to try and extend the life of your race but ended up condemning your species. Can you find the cure to save your race in the stars?
Condemned Realm+Neural Zone+Doomday Clock= Your world is being destroy by ancient war that involves Celestial beings vs Demonic beings. Which side will you pick?
Glacials+Human+Giant+Horns+Nomadic+Warrior= The Banner Saga
Abandon Town + Solitary + Monster Zoo + Tolerant = Adventure Guild, You are part of multi race guild that complete quest to gain fame,wealth,power beyond your wildest dreams. "To bad there are many dangers afoot to try and kill your guild. Wild you become a successful adventurer or will you end up another unfortunate casualty?
High Magic+Bookworm+Abandoned Citadel+Monster Zoo + Tolerant = Welcome to the Magic Collage were all race learn the magical arts. What crazy adventures await for those in the pursuit of magical knowledge?
Religious+War Zone+Xenophobic+Nomadic+Warrior= You are a Crusadering force that is on the move to wipe all heretic races that dont follow your religion. Will you overcome the many trials and be able to cleanse the lands or will you fail and be forever looked down upon by your god?
Spiritually Open+Nomadic+Mark of Coyote= Your tribe is on a Spiritually journey to whatever you god deem so. What Spiritually challenges await your tribe is unknown.

more to come later.
Last edited by Nolandking on Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Haven't played this signature game in a long while but I'll try it out again.

Help these poor little guys hatch.

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:27 am

Originally I was going to go more magic this time, but seeing that tech is really supported this time I can't not pick it, so:
Dwarves + Steampunk + Redstone = Science!

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:25 am

also posting my old ideas:

airborne + pirates = no wings/brittle bones but get Airships
animal riders (or a race that rides specific animals) + vorpal animals = vorpal animal riders
airborne + animal riders = no wings/brittle bones but flying animals to get around
Dweomervore + pirates = the magic energy is fixed to the tide forcing constant travel
pirates + mysterious benefactor = main population of the civilization lives on a super pirate floating city ship thing
Dragon's blood + airborne = only +1 wound from brittle bones
Racial enemy + pirates = pirate war! population can only take + 2 wounds but ships are also sturdier and take a bigger beating
Elemental shift/torn + animal riders = elemental riders
spiritually open + animal riders = spirit riders (not quite sure how that would work but it sounds cool)
animal riders + pirates = ships built on the backs of giant sea creatures
Taur + airborne = 2 sets of wings for faster more maneuverable flight
lycanthrope + elmental shift/torn= transform into elementals!

Still thinking of more and that's just the combination of 2 tweaks. I sorta want to combine them all.... airborne + pirates + dweomervore + mysterious benefactor + volcanic + steampunk = We're a civilization on a giant super airship which is capable of harvesting the magical energy from the eruptions of floating volcanic masses. Our people have adapted to survive off this harvested energy instead of normal food and in nomadic fashion travel from floating volcanic island to floating volcanic island on the armada we built around this super ship.

New ideas
monster zoo + interracial(+) = an awesome array of different utility characters