Kobold Mine [one slot open]

Home to all current Forum Games.
eirikdaude
Whispers Softly

Re: Kobold Mine [one slot open]

Post by eirikdaude » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:21 am

NewOneAround wrote:@eirikdaude: your active action looks ok to me. That barrel is heavy. If could hinder your attemts to move unseen.
Oh, I don't mean to take the entire barrel - just enough to show to the other kobolds so we can try figuring out what it is. Dragging a barrel down hte mountain is more work than Ludo is prepared to do right now :)
ÔÇ£Remember: when people tell you somethingÔÇÖs wrong or doesnÔÇÖt work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.ÔÇØ - Neil Gaiman, on writing critique

NewOneAround
Likes to Contribute

Post by NewOneAround » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:40 am

GathersIngredients wrote:@ spells: So, us learning the spell just makes us able to USE the scroll? I thought (probably inspired from D&D or something) that anyone could use scrolls and learning the spell 'by heart' would enable the chars to cast it without the presence of a scroll.
Also, how are scrolls made, then?
And can we maybe get a list of spells and needed components, please? (Or, if that already exists, just point me to it kindly. ;) )
And we need a spell scroll AND the spell components to use the spell, is that correct?
Identity - active - Identifies something -> Int
Dragonskin - passive - Gives Soak -> Con
Dragonfire - weapon - Deals fire Damage -> Con
Summon lesser [fire, acid, earth] Elemental - passive - Summons a elemental (must be activated as Passive Action every turn or it vanishes) -> Cha
Create lesser Undead - aktive - Creates a Zombie or Skeleton. You can control up to Wisdom+Constiution Undead -> Con
Forgefire - passive - Fuels smelter and forges -> Con
Enchant - active - Adds minor enchantments to Items -> Wis
Poison - active - Poisons Items (Weapons, foodstuff) -> Int
Healing - passive, weapon - weapon: heals a constitution damage to one creature in combat, passive heals more than one creature -> Wis
Blind - weapon - blinds a creature -> Int
(taken from recruitment post)
revive - passive - Wis
charm rodent - passive, weapon - Cha

And you just need the spell and skill. Crafting the spell you can use EVERYTHING.
Take raw material. Refine it. Craft spell.
Using raw material that makes sence gives a bonus to Durability (uses). Using firestone for summon lesser fire elemental -> bonus.
NOA wrote: and for my personal imagination spells must not be scrolls. totems, medicine bags, runecoverd bones, small metal plates with holes in it... all and everthing a mage, kabbalist, shaman, druid, witch, dragon or devil would use to put a bit magic in^^
GathersIngredients wrote: @trading: Personally, I don't have an issue with the price atm, since we got all those herbs and whatnot in one turn, iirc. Also, like chuck says: these are raw materials, the breastplate and the shovel are refined items, and I have seen with the javelins just how long those can take to make... So, no, I don't feel ripped-off as a player. I have no idea about the char, though. ^^
But, in any case if I can shave off the one or other herb by using my persuasion skill when trying to close the deal (haggling?), then all the better, since I'm spending an action on it.
Yes persuade vs persuade = haggling ^^
GathersIngredients wrote: Also, I just edited in this into my actions in the last post:
Free: order Pskal to try and improve his cooking skills, so he doesn't need an army or assistants the next time he has to cook something.

I hope I remembered correctly and I can do that with 'order'. I know that ordering is free, but I'm not 100% sure what I can order other kobolds to do.
He will now try to do so. He would be an expert after that.
Expert +1 Skill-LVL, +1 Skill-LVL, +1 Stat-Point
If you do not say what he should do with the other skill raise and the Stat I will decide what he thinks he needs.
GM for a Kobold Mine

Cutting, building and assembling inside of Castle Heterodyne [Salpicon]
Being on hold while working under the D'Jinn [Zeun]
Beeing a lost Goblin Slave (a.k.a. Mineling) in a godforsaken Hole [Complains]
Full of excitement for the rise of a new Civilisation

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:13 am

Yeah it occurred to me to order some kobolds to train but apparently our FLS goes down if we do it to much. So while we're on the subject how much is too much?

For Pskal I'd suggest craft- food (more cooking), forage (skinning what we bring him), and int (improve his cooking rolls), but its gather's action so I'll let her decide.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:39 am

Yeah, what chuck wrote sounds good. More cooking skill, Int for the stat and forage (for preparation of animals we bring him). :thumbsup:

My internet died out today, so I don't know how active I can be until it gets fixed. I called the provider company and they will most likely send a technichian to take a look at it and hopefully fix it. Question is: WHEN? :sulk:

Oh, and thanks for answering my questions, NOA. :cheer:
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

NewOneAround
Likes to Contribute

Post by NewOneAround » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:17 pm

Turn 12

1. Player Actions

Krat

Active: Attempt to discern wether it is a good or bad deal (sense motive to see his intention with the deal)
[Sense Motive: 2 d 6 = 8] ÔÇô success +5XP
You think he wants to make a good deal, but he does not seem like the type who want to seriously rip you of.

Passive: Refine the firestone
[Knowledge magic: 2 +1 [tool] d 4 + 2 (preperation) = 9]
[R30+9 S39 D15] ÔÇô ongoing 4/9 +1 XP

Training: Ranged bow and crossbow +10 XP Gain Ranged ÔÇô Bow & Crossbow (Dex) 1

You have 10 Skills on lvl 1+ and you gain a Stat-Point.

Nockit

Active: Cut cloth into strips to use as bandages.
Make Bandages
Skill: Craft ÔÇô Tailor
Material: 1 [Bolt of cloth]
Tool needed: X
Yield: 5 pieces
Dificulty: 2
[Craft ÔÇô Tailor: 2 d 6 +1 (fluff) = 7]
R7 S7 D2 ÔÇô success +5XP Gain Craft ÔÇô Tailor 3
Gain 5x bandages [wool (gigant hamster)]

Passive: Help KnickKnack helping Ozt
[Heal(Nockit): 1 d 4 +1 (fluff) -2 (noskill)= 3]
[Heal(KnickKnack): 1 (+1tool) d 4 +1 (fluff) -2 (noskill) = 2]
R3+2 S5 D5 ÔÇô success +5XP Nockit Gains Heal (Int) 1 ÔÇô Ozt's chance to heal a con while resting is (alot) higher
bandage Break 50 ÔÇô nothing
bandage Break 50 ÔÇô hit ÔÇô bandage destroyed

Training: ranged-bow & crossbow (dex) +10XP Gain ranged-bow & crossbow (dex) 2

Click-Clank

Click-Clank decides he does not want to have an active part in leading the colony.
He digs rooms and minerals.
Active and Passive:

Mine from M17 to O17
[Mine: 2 d 4 + 0 = 7]
[Mine: 2 d 4 + 0 = 6]
found copper.
[R 32+7+6 S 45 D 55] ÔÇô ongoing +2XP
Gain 1x ore, high quality (copper)

pickaxe Break 15 : ÔÇô nothing
pickaxe Break 15 : ÔÇô nothing

Training: +1XP Mine

Mine(Wis) 3

KnickKnack

Free: order Pskal to try and improve his cooking skills, so he doesn't need an army or assistants the next time he has to cook something.
Active: finish the deal with Lossa, if an action is needed for that (barter/persuade). > Identify the frog thingy, if an action is needed for that. (knowledge creatures)> heal ozt
Knicknack: Persuade: 1 d 4 +1 (fluff) +1 (Krat) = 4
Lossa: Persuade 3 d 4 = 5
failure - +1XP

Knowledge ÔÇô Creature: 2 d 4 +1 (fluff) = 5
[R5 S5 D5] ÔÇô success +5 XP
You are not sure what kind of frog this is. But you are about 70% certain its a mutant not a species.

Passive: attach javelin head (rat, fine) to javelin shafts (ash, good) (4/4 turns) (craft bone)
[Craft ÔÇô Bone: 2 d 4 = 3]
[R11+3 S14 D 5] ÔÇô success +5 XP
Gain 1x good javelin [bone (rat) / wood (ash)]

Training: Lead (Cha) +10 XP Gain Lead (Cha) 2

Ludo
A: Return to the colony, if he has the time he'll pass by the quarry and bring along some of the black powder. Still looking for anything exciting on the way back. If even more "actions" are allowed while travelling, he'll try to figure out what the fruit he's picked, and the black powder is.
Gain a fist full of black powder.
[Perception: 1 d 5 + 1 (fluff) = 2]
[Knowledge ÔÇô Nature & Minerals: 1 d 5 +1 (fluff) = 4]
[Knowledge ÔÇô Magic: 1 d 5 +1 (fluff) = 2]
(My dicetool has something against you... you always get the low numbers...)
failure - +1XP +1 XP +1 XP

P: Finish refining the stone
[Craft ÔÇô Jewel: 1 d 4 = 3]
[R13+3 S16 D10] ÔÇô success + 5XP
Gain 1x marquise-cut gem, magical (firestone)

T: Lead (Cha) +10 XP Gain Lead (Cha) 1
Traknesh
Active: Lead 2 kobold to makeing 2x stone tiles
[Lead: 3 d 6 +5 (FLS) = 18
[R 18 Sum: 18 Dificulty: 6] ÔÇô success +5XP +2 Skill

Passive: Flooring his room.

Training: +10XP Gain Knowledge ÔÇô Creatures 2

2. NPC Actions

3 Kobold dig for Quarz (T18)
[Mine: 1 d 4 = 1]
[Mine: 1 d 4 = 2]
[Mine: 1 d 4 = 1]
[R29+1+2+1 S33 D35] ÔÇô ongoing
Break 15 - success
Break 15 ÔÇô success
Break 15 ÔÇô success

2 Kobold
Craft floortile, stone 2x
Skill Craft-Stone
Material: [1 stone] <- Siltstone
Tool needed: [1 biface] or [1 stone] or [1 hammer]
Yield: 4 piece
Dificulty 3

[Craft ÔÇô Stone: 2 d 4 = 6]
[Craft ÔÇô Stone: 2 d 4 = 4]
[R3+6+4 S 13 D 6] ÔÇô success
Gain 8x floortile, stone [stone (siltstone)]

Prisarz cares for this pet hamster.

3 Kobold start curing leather [9x warhog fur,1x rat fur] + [liquid organic waste produkt (kobold)]
[Craft ÔÇô Tailor: 1 d 4 -2 (noskill) = 0]
[Craft ÔÇô Tailor: 1 d 4 -2 (noskill) = 1]
[Craft ÔÇô Tailor: 1 d 4 -2 (noskill) = 1]
R3+1+1 S5 D 20] ÔÇô ongoing

1 Kobold makes plates from spider chitin
[Craft-Bone 1 d 4 -2 [no skill] = 0 ]
[R7 S 7 D 15] ÔÇô ongoing [7/10]

Pskal trains - success

Zi'it stand guard.

Ozt rests. +1 con

3. Event

Good:
Two kobold come to you while you are gathered and one asks: "I know we are a fresh colony and we dont have the recources to spend, but I want to ask you for the permission to breed with Trixxa. I realy like her! We have secetly prepeard a whole bunch of stuff we need for this. Please?"
The two kobold look at you full of expectation and pesent you their work.
5x crude nestbox [wood (aspen)]
1x scaleshine oil [herb, medical (scaleshine)]
3x crude blanket, tiny [fur (squirrel]
2x crude sewing needle [bone (squirrel)]

They dug a small room to put the nestboxes in and found a small gem cluster
3x semi precious gem (malachite)

Neutral: nothing neutral happend ÔÇô the chance something will happen increased

Bad: nothing bad happend ÔÇô the chance something will happen increased

4. Trader

Lossa packs his stuff and leaves.

5. Wandering Monster

Ludo encounters nothing while getting back.

Zi'it stand guard.

Nockit makes some bandages for Ozt. He is in pretty bad shape and figures this will go a long way towards helping him.
Nockit, takes his hastily made bandages and hurries on over to where KnickKnack is trying to heal Ozt. He will then take his bandages and carefully wrap the worst remaining wound. "That should be better buddy. You'll be back in action in no time." "Thanks! Me wants part of action. But spiders to more than we!"

KnickKnack is torn between wanting to close in the deal with the trader, finding out what kind of frog that thing with the four eyes is and wanting to help Ozt get better soon. He barely finds time to finish his first javelin, but he is really happy that he is finally done. That was a LOT of work.

Even if he hasn't found anything very interesting, Ludo will return to the colony. He is rather concerned that he'll get hungry again, and the raw eggs really didn't taste that nice. But he is going to do his utmost to see something exciting to tell the others about on his way back to the mine, maybe he should take the time to pass by the quarry and bring some of that strange black powder back to the others? There must be a reason someone's gone to the trouble of collecting it in the barrels.

Two kobold come to you while you are gathered and one asks: "I know we are a fresh colony and we dont have the recources to spend, but I want to ask you for the permission to breed with Trixxa. I realy like her! We have secetly prepeard a whole bunch of stuff we need for this. Please?"

All kobold are hungry.

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

.[tabs: Krat]
Player: Theis2
Color: #8000FF
Stats:
Strength 2 Dexterity 5 Constitution 3(2) Intelligence 4 Wisdom 6 Charisma 3
Fearless Leader Score: 6

► Show Spoiler

Inventory:
1x Shortbow [wood (ash) / bow string [entrails (cave lizard)])]
15x arrow, shortbow [hard stone (flint) / wood (ash)] B60 D2
1x quiver [wood (ash)]
masterwork Magnifying glass [metal(silver) / magical gem (skyclear crystal)] B35 D15
pickaxe [metal (copper) / wood (ash)] B15 D7
strange frog (Tedook)

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

[tabs: Nockit]
Player: ChuckDaRighteous
Color: #400000
Stats:
Strength 2 Dexterity 6 Constitution 3 Intelligence 6 Wisdom 4 Charisma 3
Fearless Leader Score: 6

► Show Spoiler

Inventory:
masterwork hunting snare, small [metal (iron)]
Shortbow [wood (ash) / bow string [entrails (cave lizard)])] To Hit: 1 Break: 30 Damage: 1d3 Durability: 2/3
9x arrow, shortbow [hard stone (flint) / wood (ash)] Break: 60 Durability: 2
3x cloth wrapped arrow, shortbow [hard stone (flint) / wood (ash) / cloth (gigant hanster)] Durability: 2
2x cloth wrapped arrow, shortbow [hard stone (flint) / wood (ash) / cloth (gigant hanster)] Durability: 1/2
1x fine sword [metal (iron)]
quiver [wood (ash)]
good breast armor [leather (bat)] [9/11]

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

[tabs: Clink-Clank]
Player: no player ÔÇô slot free
Color: #008080
Stats:
Strength 3 Dexterity 5 Constitution 3 Intelligence 4 Wisdom 4 Charisma 4
Fearless Leader Score: 5

► Show Spoiler

Equipment:
pickaxe [metal (copper) / wood (ash)] Break 15 Durability 5/7

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

[tabs: KnickKnack]
Player: GathersIngredients
Color: #FF8000
Stats:
Strength 3 Dexterity 5 Constitution 4 Intelligence 4 Wisdom 4 Charisma 4

► Show Spoiler

Inventory:
masterwork backpack [rare wood (floatwood) / metal (mithral) / leather (mounain troll)] Durability 30
3x spear [hard wood (oak), fire hardend] To Hit: 2 Break: 30 Damage: 1d4 Durability: 5
3x good pole [wood (ash)]
2x fine spear head, bone [bone(rat)]
1x axe [hard stone (flint) / wood (ash)]

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

[tabs: Ludo]
Player: eirikdaude
Color: olive
Stats:
Strength 2 Dexterity 5 Constitution 4 Intelligence 5 Wisdom 5 Charisma 3

► Show Spoiler

Inventory:
masterwork toolset, gemcutting [metal (mithral)]
axe [hard stone (flint) / wood (ash)]
4x small stone
1x gem, magical (firestone)
3x egg (bird)
1 strange fruit

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler
[/tabs]

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:42 pm

Woot! about time a good event happened. Took 12 turns, but it finally happened.

To the kobolds wanting to bump uglies, "You should have never hidden your intent from us. Bringing new life to the colony is a blessing and sign of prosperity to us and our brethren back home. We would have gladly assisted you. But secretly stockpiling resources in our current state even for such a blessed event should have never happened. You are forgiven this time, but don't let it happen again. You have our blessing to procreate."

To Ludo "Welcome home. Did you find anything of interest?"

What are the stats on the copper breastplate? I'm guessing +2 soak, 2 encumbrance, x durability. If soak is greater than 1 and encumbrance is no greater than 2, then I will trade up. Taking the breastplate for the time being and giving my old armor to Ozt. If not then keep my old leathers.

Also, I'll put my fire arrows in the spare quiver and leave it for all archers for use in home defense. And restock my quiver back up to 12 normal arrows.

Order: Tell one of the common kobolds to learn spell - revive (too close of a call on Ozt, I want a back up plan)
Active: investigate the hole that his trap was dragged into
Passive: Assist the other kobolds curing leather (it will take them forever otherwise)
Training: knowledge - creatures

After training I should have 15 skills and eligible to receive another +1 stat, I'll pick int
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:00 am

Can I please get a bit of info on Kobold breeding, before we say 'yes' or 'no'?

I'd like to know:
*)The names of the kobolds (Trixxa and ?)
*)If they breed, how long will it take until there will be an egg/baby (and which one will it be)?
*)Will the work capacity of any of those two be reduced (during breeding itself, the 'pregnancy'/incubation time of the egg) and if so, by how much?
*)Who will take care of the hatchling/baby, and how many of them would be there (single birth, twins, a whole litter)?
*)How long will it take for the new life to grow into a self-sufficient kobold and/or an adult one that can work as NPC?
*)What special needs (e.g. equipment, food, ...) will the little guys (and girls) have?
*)Is there a skill for taking care of the young, and if so, would Trixxa be willing to become the colony's 'kinder-gardener/nurse'? (Maybe she can learn healing, too, so she could take care of the little ones AND the hurt/sick. :idea: )

As a side note: I would have wanted KnickKnack to use the healing spell, not try non-magical healing for which he has no skill. But it's no biggie. ;) At least Ozt is feeling better.

Will come up with some actions later. And YAY! My first javelin is done. :cheer: What are the stats on it? (It's 'good', but what durability does it have?)
And yay, Pskal our cook gets better at his job! Yummy stew forever.

@ Chuck: what makes you think you can just claim the breastplate for yourself? :(
► Show Spoiler

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:54 am

GathersIngredients wrote:@ Chuck: what makes you think you can just claim the breastplate for yourself? :(
I guess with out explanation that does sound greedy of me. My reasoning was Ozt and I are the only two with any skill in armor. At the moment, I roll 2d3 for armor and have a 33% chance of reducing the armor penalty by 1. Ozt rolls 1d5 and has a 20% chance to reduce it by 1. Since I'm guessing that the breast plate incurs a -2 penalty to stats the following is based on that assumption. If you tried throwing that javelin of yours instead of 1d5 throw roll you'd roll 1d3 (unlikely to hit much of anything). Even if I incur the full penalty, my bow becomes 2d4 bow roll instead of 2d6 (2d4 is respectable). Ozt at full penalty with his club would be rolling 2d3s (not bad, but not great either). If you have a reason why I shouldn't claim it I'm willing to listen.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:27 am

Thanks for the explanation. I do agree that atm. you are best suited to use it (depending on the stats), but that is a) not the point I was concerned about and b) likely subject to change.

Your wording
If soak is greater than 1 and encumbrance is no greater than 2, then I will trade up.
doesn't really discern whether or not you planned to 'claim' it for yourself (as in, it's yours from now on). IMHO, since the whole colony gathered the herbs that we traded for it, it should be used for the best of the colony, and not owned by any one of the kobolds, at least for now.
And generally, giving armor to melee guys probably makes more sense than to give it to shooters, at least until we have enough armor for everyone.

So, how about you are 'allowed to use it' for now, and it might get re-allocated later (e.g. when other people get enough skill to use it without reasonable penalties)? :thumbsup:
► Show Spoiler

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:41 am

GathersIngredients wrote:And generally, giving armor to melee guys probably makes more sense than to give it to shooters, at least until we have enough armor for everyone.
You're probably thinking Ozt should get it and I keep my leathers. I originally thought that too. Then that spider fight happened. They shredded his armor way too fast for me to have a chance at repair (and being unrepairable at 0 is a huge disadvantage I didn't expect to have). High durability is a big advantage, that the melee guys should have otherwise we're gonna lose a lot of armor before it can be repaired. My armor is good quality so it should last him a fight. Though admittedly I don't know the breastplate's durabilty yet, but assuming its normal quality it will probably have less durability than my leathers.
So, how about you are 'allowed to use it' for now, and it might get re-allocated later (e.g. when other people get enough skill to use it without reasonable penalties)? :thumbsup:
I was under the impression "for the time being" implied that, but I can see how it doesn't so sorry for the misunderstanding. Once Ozt gets armor 2, I'll likely trade back with him. Although I had considered having him learn bludgeon and dragon skin (a spell that uses con stat) and con next training and leaving armor for a later one.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

NewOneAround
Likes to Contribute

Post by NewOneAround » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:36 pm

breast armor [metal [copper] Durability 10 Soak 2 Encumberance 2

Trixxa and Zim.
You are all no experts in kobold breeding (you are all virgins...)

If you allow them to breed:
1d6 turns until they lay 1d6-2 eggs.
3d4 turns until they hatch.
10 turns until they can work.
They will be bonded and after their eggs hatch they have 25% chance to get another clutch ready to lay.
(so after you allow so 14-28 turns later you get up to 4 new worker. 10 turns they need to be fed and can only do stuff like add +1 to cooking or mining)
The eggs need breeding boxes or nests (wool,fur,hay). The little guys need food and perhaps someone to make sure they dont go to the wrong directions.
You do not need a skill to raise kids, but Trixxa would be more than happy to learn a few skills that help (Heal, Spell Heal, Spell Revive, Perception, Sense Motive, Persuade)

@Chuck: Training Ozt in Spell:Dragonskin... didnt thought about that, but you are right.
GM for a Kobold Mine

eirikdaude
Whispers Softly

Post by eirikdaude » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:00 pm

ChuckDaRighteous wrote:To Ludo "Welcome home. Did you find anything of interest?"
► Show Spoiler
Ludo's actions
A: Lead the goblins who are mining.
P: Find a piece of quartz to refine for 10 turns.
T: Is there a hunting skill? Or would that be a mix of foraging and hunting? If there is, T: Hunt, otherwise T: Forage

Oh, and is my Craft (Gems) at level 1 with 19 xo, or at level 2 with 20? :P And did I get 1 xp for all the failed attempts in the turn we just had, there was no indication of it in the post?
ÔÇ£Remember: when people tell you somethingÔÇÖs wrong or doesnÔÇÖt work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.ÔÇØ - Neil Gaiman, on writing critique

NewOneAround
Likes to Contribute

Post by NewOneAround » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:35 pm

My notes say you got 19xp Craft - Jewels
GM for a Kobold Mine

eirikdaude
Whispers Softly

Post by eirikdaude » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:05 pm

Oh, well, that was what I thought too :) The rest of the stuff I want to do looks ok?

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:07 pm

NewOneAround wrote:You are all no experts in kobold breeding (you are all virgins...)
And they're leaving us in charge? Nockit puffs out his chest and shows off a horn as a trophy of his warthog kill to all the ladies.
@Chuck: Training Ozt in Spell:Dragonskin... didnt thought about that, but you are right.
Yeah I thought that would be a good choice for a meat shield. And crafting it would give him something useful to do between combat engagements.

Also, I'm presuming its low but what is the chance one of those hatchlings is a kroga?
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:19 pm

@ Chuck: Thanks for elaborating. It wasn't exactly a misunderstanding, I just wanted to clarify it out now, to prevent any hard feelings later (e.g. if you insisted that the breastplate is yours, because no one spoke up when you said you'd take it and someone else wanting to use it differently later on, leaving either you or the other person grudging).

@ Trixxa & Zim:
Unless other PCs object, I would let them do it. Oh, and since there is no need for the caretaker of the offspring to be female (no breast feeding, because egg layers and not mammals), why not let Zim become the nursery kobold? :D

But I would like them (and anyone else who wants to breed) to ask for allowance before they do it again, at least until we got the 'food problem' dealt with.

@ GM: what are the chances that the offspring will become a gifted kobold? And will there be a difference in % if one or two of the parents are gifted kobolds, too?
(Because if we get a (better) chance to get more gifted ones, I will - with the GM's gracious permission - SO switch KnickKnack to female. Some people already seemed to think he is, anyways. :P :lol: )

EDIT:
KnickKnack's actions:
Free: Permit Zim and Trixxa to become bonded and breed, but under the condition that Zim becomes the 'nursery kobold', meaning he is responsible for the little ones (the ones of him and Trixxa and any future kids the colony will have) and therefore should learn some skills to aid with that new task. Namely, order him to train healing (non magical). If possible, he'll also gladly take a look at the stuff Ludo brought back. [knowledge: nature & minerals]
Active: take Pskal (and any volunteers) with me to the meadow. [lead]
Passive: go forage (mainly for food, but I wouldn't say no to other useful stuff, e.g. wood) [forage]
Training: Armor (Con)

► Show Spoiler
I have missed out the point where I gained my 15th skill (it was the healing spell in turn 11). I would like to put another stat point into Con.
I would also like to change my combat presets in so far, as the first thing thrown will be my new good rat bone/ash wood javelin, not a spear.
I would like to know if KnickKnack could craft the spider chitin into armor (e.g. armor braces, shin guards, chitin plate armor on a leather or cloth 'shirt' or 'trousers', helmet etc.), because I guess that would take [craft: bone]. Can I have some recipes for that, please?

Like e.g.
Craft braces [spider chitin]
Skill Craft-bone
Material ? [spider chitin]
Tools needed ???
Yield ? pair(s)
Difficulty ??

Craft shin guards [spider chitin]
Skill Craft-bone
Tools needed ???
Yield ? pair(s)
Difficulty ??

Craft armor plates to be attached onto clothing [spider chitin]
Skill Craft-bone
Tools needed ???
Yield ? piece(s)
Difficulty ??

Craft helmet [spider chitin]
Skill Craft-bone
Tools needed ???
Yield ? piece(s)
Difficulty ??

Craft plate armor [spider chitin]
Skill Craft-bone
Material ? [spider chitin armor plate], ? [shirt, leather]
Tools needed ???
Yield ? piece(s)
Difficulty ??
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:58 am

Active: refine firestone
Passive: same
Training: bow
Increase: int
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

NewOneAround
Likes to Contribute

Post by NewOneAround » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:51 am

Chances a kobold is gifted are extremly low. But a thriving colony with a few thousand kobolds will broduce a few. (and send them away to make a new colony to A)increse the chance of success B) eliminate other voters in town concil)
Kroga chance is about 1:100.

I will work the different recipts later, but to balance the Soak I have to rule only the highest soak counts (but drains durability equally from diferent armor stuff).

And there is aboslutly no problem with Zim beeing the breeder. Just dont try making Ozt one...
GM for a Kobold Mine

eirikdaude
Whispers Softly

Post by eirikdaude » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:36 pm

It seems you may have missed this among all the other fluff:
eirikdaude wrote:"There is one thing that I thought of while I was out travelling, if I want to fight something from a distance, I don't really have any weapons I can use. I would be very grateful if someone here could help me craft a sling, so that next time I am out in the wilderness, I can hunt small birds or maybe squirrels to bring back for eating."
I'd very much appreciate it if someone could help me craft a ranged weapon.

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:54 pm

eirikdaude wrote:It seems you may have missed this among all the other fluff:
eirikdaude wrote:"There is one thing that I thought of while I was out travelling, if I want to fight something from a distance, I don't really have any weapons I can use. I would be very grateful if someone here could help me craft a sling, so that next time I am out in the wilderness, I can hunt small birds or maybe squirrels to bring back for eating."
I'd very much appreciate it if someone could help me craft a ranged weapon.
It was noticed. Working on making the leather now, once I have that I can start working on making a sling.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

eirikdaude
Whispers Softly

Post by eirikdaude » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:08 pm

Ah, sorry then :) I just didn't see a reply, so... Thanks for your initiative :) Hmm.

What is the biggest priority right now, setting up a solid food supply? Which reminds me, Ludo probably gave the three eggs he carried to the foodmaking kobolds. We have those, right?

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:18 pm

Right now I think the priorities (at least in my mind) are food, and whatever other denizens of the mine there are. If it wasn't for our food being wiped out I think we'd have been in better shape. The spiders could be a threat, but I'm thinking we might need a little more preparation else have an equally bad if not worse result than last time. Also whatever dragged of my trap could be bad, depending on what it is.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

eirikdaude
Whispers Softly

Post by eirikdaude » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:11 pm

Yeah, I am a bit concerned about that blocked passage we found. What dragged off your trap was at least small enough to get caught in it, and hopefully the spiders will stay in their room for now, then later we can try to organize a full scale assault on them? But who knows what is down that passage.

What options do we have for food? Foraging and not much else at the moment? I think there was somewhere we could fish?

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:15 pm

eirikdaude wrote:What dragged off your trap was at least small enough to get caught in it
True, but the spiders are small too, and we all saw how badly that turned out. So I am still concerned.
What options do we have for food? Foraging and not much else at the moment? I think there was somewhere we could fish?
If you look at the map the puddle of blue in the southern most room is a pond where you can fish. Traknesh has a fishing pole, but I don't think he's used it much. I didn't see a tool bonus for the rod though, so I'm guessing fish can be pretty meaty if they're big enough. My traps caught two rats, but that seriously isn't much and nothing to rely on. Pskal picking up forage and another cooking level will help. We could farm, but we'd have to plant things or gather animals to milk or butcher or gather eggs from.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:26 am

KnickKnack could probably make a decent bow by now (he can craft wood and bone so far), but I would need leather or intestines (for the string) for that, too. And some wood, I'm not sure how our supplies are there. Besides, your kobold explicitly asked for a sling, and KnickKnack doesn't know the first thing about leather-working.

Good point about the spiders. We should probably put someone into the passage between the small spider room and our part of the mine to make sure that the spiders stay in there (preferably with a fire going, that ought to keep them away, or if we can't afford the fire - because low wood - at least we'd get a warning form the scout/outpost that they are coming our way).

Farming: alas, kobolds are carnivores. I think it might have been a stretch already to put some plants (the berries) into the stew. So planting our food will most likely not work out too great. but maybe we could grow fodder for our food (as in we farm plants and we feed those to some animals and then we eat the animals).
@GM: can we please get a verdict on how much plants we can put into our food before it becomes unsuitable for kobolds to eat?

But, yes, food is an issue and I'm trying to get this under control.
A) I asked for preserved food from the trader (he'll look into it and maybe bring some of that with him next time he visits us. Alas, we have no idea when that might be, so we'll have to work on that problem for ourselves in the meantime).
B) we got Pskal to train cooking & foraging (yay!) and
C) I'm going to forage on the meadow (with his help) this turn. You're more than welcome to come along with Ludo. More eyes see more potential dangers (if the bird and/or dwarf or other 'predators' are around) and/or stuff that we want to collect; maybe we could even succeed in taking down another warthog, if we run into another one. If not, there's still turtles, snakes (hopefully not poisonous ones) and birds on the meadow we can 'gather'.

Heh, I just realized, my char is living up to my forum nickname... :lol:

Or you could try and help Ozt heal some more. You probably should learn healing first.
Or you could try and become our smith: learn the forgefire spell (to save wood), smelting the ore into ingots, crafting the ingots into something useful. Does that sound interesting to you?
Or... anything else really. Unless you try to eat as much food as you can while being utterly idle and/or try to wreck the mine we already have by digging away at important structural points, anything you do will aid the colony in some way.
► Show Spoiler