The Sundered Way

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:24 pm

Randy: After having dropped the guard, you turn and head back towards the entrance to get away from the snake statues.

Tess: You pop out and check the ruby real quick, before hiding again. You know that the left one activated when you attempted to dislodge it, so it seems likely they have some sort of anti-tamper activation... probably a good fail safe for large, presumably valuable gems. This right hand side one, however, activated when one of the skeletons did something at the large crystal in the center of the altar, though you didn't have a good visual on just what that was.

In either case, based on your inspection and your previous attempt to mage hand the other one out, they seem firmly affixed within the snake's jaws. The ruby seems to be the focus, destroying it would probably turn them off... or possibly damaging the statue enough. Removing it might be possible, but would be a risky venture to do without taking a hit, a handful of seconds between blasts doesn't leave much time.

Ulmwin
Randerwaith
Zombie Bandit
Maji
Holger
Tess
Zephyr <-------------------
Coljin TU: 8
Zombie Giant Lizard
Ily
Zombie Guards
Zombie Mules
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:48 am

Zephyr moves forward 25 feet and looks at the statue, seeing if there is a way to hang her shield over the gem to keep it from firing. At the very least, she holds her shield up, directly in front of the gem so that it cannot fire.

Perception: 1D20+3 = [20]+3 = 23

Zephyr is trying to determine what can be done to stop the laser from firing. Be it covering the eyes, covering the gem, turning the statue to face the wall, or just holding blocking its line of sight with her shield.
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:24 am

Zephyr: You move up and check out the statue. there doesn't seem to be any real convenient way to hang your shield over it, the snout is fairly smooth across the top. The beam seems to be emanating from the ruby held in the mouth, blocking the beam some how should keep it from hitting anyone. As far as the eyes, they are glowing, but you don't really know whether that matters at all. The statue and the pillar it is on looks heavy and solid, you doubt it would be something that could be easily moved, if at all. Making a quick decision, you press your shield against the snake's mouth, hopefully preventing its beam from firing on any of your companions.

((Coljin, since you were planning on focus firing at one at a time, thought I'd mention the only non-turned zombie is wearing chain and is in the bowl, it took a firebolt from Holger, but is currently a bit outside your normal range increment with the crossbow, so you'd need to move towards it or roll with disadvantage if he's who you are going for.))

Ulmwin
Randerwaith
Zombie Bandit
Maji
Holger
Tess
Zephyr
Coljin TU: 7 <-------------------
Zombie Giant Lizard
Ily
Zombie Guards
Zombie Mules
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:55 am

Nem will send Ily over to look at the altar gemstone and see if he notices anything like an off-switch.

Perception: 1D20+4 = [18]+4 = 22

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:58 am

((The altar stone is in dim light, and since this is going to be sight based, can he give me a disadvantage roll too please?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:13 am

Of course it was too good to be true.

Perception: 1D20+4 = [1]+4 = 5

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:21 am

Ily scurries down and up the pillar, nosing about, but not finding anything that smells interesting, it has kind of a dry musty death smell to it... as do a lot of things here. He isn't able to notice much of anything else, and looks over to you for further instruction.

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:45 am

Coljin will move 25 feet towards the zombie in the bowl and shoot at it. And miss.

Crossbow attack: 1D20+3 = [7]+3 = 10

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:50 am

Nem sighs and instead sends him over to the red depression with all the corpses in it to see if he has any idea what might be underneath it (if anything).

((Two rolls in case of adv / disadv)):

Perception: 1D20+4 = [11]+4 = 15
1D20+4 = [8]+4 = 12

((I guess this probably needs to wait till next turn...))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:07 am

Coljin: You move towards the un-turned zombie and send a bolt whistling past its head.

At the exit end of the room, the giant lizard bunches up with the mule and human zombie against the door.

Ily inspects the altar gem to no avail and gets ready to explore the depression full of dead bodies.

The un-turned zombie begins lumbering back towards Coljin, but the interior of the depression is difficult to walk through.

The zombie mule cowers in the far corner.

Both statues fire a beam, the right one impacting Zephyr's shield and scattering. It's a bit unnerving being right there when the hissing energy strikes her shield, and she can feel it vibrate a bit as it takes the impact...

Statue beam damage: fire, necrotic, radiant: 1D4 = [1] = 1
1D4 = [4] = 4
1D4 = [3] = 3

...but it remains cool and unaffected for now.

Ily, however... takes a direct shot and is utterly consumed, vanishing back to wherever he was originally summoned from.

Statue beam damage: fire, necrotic, radiant: Ily: 1D4 = [4] = 4
1D4 = [4] = 4
1D4 = [2] = 2

:( :paranoia:

Ulmwin <-------------------
Randerwaith
Zombie Bandit
Maji
Holger
Tess
Zephyr
Coljin TU: 7
Zombie Giant Lizard
Ily
Zombie Guards
Zombie Mules
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:16 am

From behind her shield, Zephyr yells out to one of the others. "Anyone else who has a shield can cover the other statue as I am doing, giving us some respite until we can figure out how to shut these things off."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:22 am

Nem feels a telepathic shock as Ily is exploded by the statue. That thing is going down.

On her turn, she's going to try and work out the damn altar gem again, to see if there's some sort of off switch, or if its a power source for the other two.

Investigation/arcana: 1D20+2 = [7]+2 = 9
1D20+2 = [5]+2 = 7

Does anyone have a Remove Curse they can send to my dice rolls please?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:42 am

Ulmwin shoots at the same yet unturned zombie.

crossbow attack: 1D20+4 = [5]+4 = 9
1D8+2 = [5]+2 = 7

He's still as much of a crack shot as always.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:46 am

Ulmwin: You send yet another warning shot bolt past the zombie. ((I moved you up a few spaces so you didn't have to shoot past Coljin's head.))

Ulmwin
Randerwaith <-------------------
Zombie Bandit
Maji
Holger
Tess
Zephyr
Zombie Giant Lizard
Ily
Zombie Guards
Zombie Mules
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:31 pm

Maji will nudge Holger to get on and ready an action to dash to the south unlit braizer/fire pit. (When he gets a rider with a torch)
Last edited by Arch Lich Burns on Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:50 pm

Holger will move towards the center of the room and sadly discover this exact point in the cave have diminished magical energy for him to charge his spell as he shoots the same zombie right in the head with the weakest fire bolt seen by man.

"Zephyr just get away from the statue for now, they seem to have a limited range."

Holger fire bolt: 1D20+6 = [20]+6 = 26
Fire bolt damage: 2D10 = [1, 2] = 3
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:44 pm

Randy engages the zombie with his bow.
Long Bow: 1d20+4 = [14] = 18
Long bow damage:1d8+2 = [8] = 10 (Head shot! ;) ))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:31 pm

Randy: You fire an arrow right into the zombie's head, snapping it back, but a moment later its head rolls forward again, the feathers of your fletching sticking out of its temple as it looks in your direction.

The leather clad zombies cower against the wall, alert to dodge any incoming danger, but unable to move further...

Maji: You nudge Holger, wanting him to climb aboard with a torch so you bring light to the rest of the room... but he either doesn't understand, or doesn't want to...

Holger: You move and fire on the zombie... it seems that though it was rather piddly by your standards, your shot of fire goes in one eye socket and the orbit smolders as it crumples to the ground.

Tess: You use your movement to get to the altar, and check out the altar gem, but can't make heads or tails about what its role or function is in all of this. There is no sign of Ily.

Ulmwin
Randerwaith
Zombie Bandit
Maji
Holger
Tess
Zephyr <-------------------
Zombie Giant Lizard
Zombie Mules
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:57 am

Zephyr pulls out her whittling dagger momentarily and tries smashing the eyes of the snake statue, while keeping her shield covering the mouth.

_: 1D20+5 = [9]+5 = 14

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:36 am

Coljin will take move ten feet west and shoot at an armored zombie, if none are actively walking towards him, he will shoot at the one that is furthest to the west side of the room.

Crossbow attack: 1D20+3 = [17]+3 = 20
Crossbow Damage: 1D8+1 = [1]+1 = 2

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:45 am

Zephyr: You drop your sword to pull out a dinky knife and slash away at the eye, but it's not well suited to the task and deflects off the gem eye, barely leave a mark on the metal of the orbit.

Coljin: You sight down your crossbow and fire at the zombie near the leftmost snake statue... ((They all ran out of room to flee, so are taking the Dodge Action as they can't do anything else, but it is also in the long range increment for you, so either way the attack is at disadvantage. Can you give me a second attack roll please?))

The lizard and mule cower against the wall, as far from Coljin as they can get (and also take the Dodge Action).

((Ignore the light purple spheres, apparently I had a line drawing tool active when I captured the image.))

Ulmwin <-------------------
Randerwaith
Zombie Bandit
Maji
Holger
Tess
Zephyr
Coljin TU: 6
Zombie Giant Lizard
Zombie Mules
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:48 am

Ulmwin aims at whatever zombie Coljin is aiming at, too.

crossbow attack: 1D20+4 = [20]+4 = 24
1D20+4 = [8]+4 = 12
1D8+2 = [2]+2 = 4

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:56 am

Crossbow attack/dis: 1D20+3 = [2]+3 = 5

That'll make it miss.

So, he'll say, "Lets gang up on the zombies one at a time before the turning wears off, start with the lizard." He will announce to everyone.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:27 am

Coljin: Your bolt clatters wide of the mark.

Ulmwin: Your aim is better though, and you make an impressive shot from across the room. As the bolt punches into the zombie's torso, it seems to shake the lingering effects of having been turned.

The left statue that just vaporized Ily fires on Tess!

((DEX save for Tess please!))

Statue Beam: fire, necrotic, radiant: Tess: 1D4 = [3] = 3
1D4 = [3] = 3
1D4 = [1] = 1

The right statue fires once again into Zephyr's shield, which might be starting to feel a bit warm?

Statue Beam: fire, necrotic, radiant: Shielded: 1D4 = [3] = 3
1D4 = [1] = 1
1D4 = [4] = 4

Ulmwin
Randerwaith <-------------------
Zombie Bandit
Maji
Holger
Tess
Zephyr
Coljin TU: 6
Zombie Giant Lizard
Zombie Mules
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:34 am

Maji will run twoards the zombie Coljin pointed out (it's a bit far away so probably no attack)