The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:31 pm

((for hiding bodies? Sure. If you weigh them down, you can sink them in the water better if that helps. It's not very clear water, so they would take some finding))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:02 pm

After the bodies are lined up he takes his hand axe and makes a large cut in each of their stomachs and takes rocks from the nearby crumbled wall and shoves a few in the holes. He then puts the bodies in the water.

Not the first bodies he has needed to dump in water. Should do the job for a while.

Bloody business of hiding bodies.: 1D20+3 = [16]+3 = 19

He will then take a break over with the KO folks listening for trouble.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:18 pm

After about an hour, Gwen's illusion fades and she looks normal. Fairly beaten up, but normal.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:46 pm

1d4=1
Mehr, who was only bludgeoned with a shield in the end, doesn't need too long to wake up. Even though there's probably still a javelin in his chest.

((I kind of have to wonder, though, why Mehr was taken straight to being Unconscious while others who were taken down in melee were Dying.))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:53 pm

((Plot armor of being the boss? If you went down, who would hold the rest of this circus together?! ;) :D ))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:28 pm

((Probably Korrik? He seems more capable than Mehr, just without the influence, which he'd get from bringing back the morley girl.))
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:46 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:((Plot armor of being the boss? If you went down, who would hold the rest of this circus together?! ;) :D ))
((Lol! I promise that none of you have plot armour :) believe it or not, the lizardfolk out here have plans and motivations of their own. I hope you get to figure out what they are :) ))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:48 pm

(The lizardfolk wanted to take someone down with them since most of their allies were dead. Merhriv was only koed because he was going to be a sacrafice, along with everybody else.)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:48 pm

((Yeah, I would be surprised if we did... I'm figuring it's more along the lines of "capture the scaled one, kill the soft skins"...))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:44 pm

((I guessed it was for sacrificing, but I'm just not sure why they wouldn't want to KO everyone they could for more sacrifices. They were going to sacrifice that woman, so their deities clearly aren't picky. Unless maybe they only need one sacrifice every so often and don't want to feed people.))
My game:

My characters:

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:33 pm

Syli lets her sling fall slack as the final two lizards fall, and shakes her head. "...godsdamnit, that was too close." She mutters, moving to help stabilize Korrik. "Kal, that's the second time in the past minute I saved your butt!"

Once Korrik is no longer at risk of dying, she stops and breaths for a few minutes, letting the adrenaline wear off as she surveys her surroundings. It almost seemed eerily quiet now, and while there wasn't a spectre of imminent death looming, she was still on edge. She then assists Varsk in gathering together the spoils of war off the fallen bodies, taking a quiver of arrows and a shield for herself, and assisting in the disposal of the bodies. However, at Varsk's suggestion for Kal, she shakes her head. "If she's still around, she can come to us. The three of us are wounded, and everyone else is gonna be dead on their feet once they come around. Plus, dunno how much you know about magic, but I pretty much spent everything I had keeping us AND her alive. If I don't miss my guess, the others aren't better off. We need to focus on our survival first."

Once the grisly work of disposing the bodies is done, Syli turns her attention to her fallen comrades. "...the good news is that you guys got that last one. That might buy us some more time. Let's get our pincushions here in the tower," she says, motioning to Korrik. "And I think I'm going to need to patch this hole in my side while I'm at it." If there aren't any disagreements with that, Syli proceeds to haul Korrik and Merric to the tower, letting the muscley warriors handle the full-size party members. She'll then gather some leaves and vines to tend to her injury and get herself patched up.

TLDR:
--Assist Varsk in looting and disposing of bodies.
--Move fallen PCs to tower.
--Short Rest: +5 HP (1 HD Spent)

((Mind, that's assuming there's time for a short rest. No guarantee there.))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:55 am

"Ya... I am feelin' a bit better than you two and she is potentially worth too much money to have eaten by a croc. She may also have information about the lizard's camp."

If no one else will go find the woman he will leave Syli to guard the sleepers dreams and set about following her. He has to be quicker than her and looks for her tracks from the last place he saw her. He will focus on moving quickly rather than silently but will keep his eyes open for potential problems.

Tracking (Survival): 19
Perception: 10 (though his passive perception is better)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:19 am

((At least one of my darts is in a lizard guy, I think the majority went wide though, if Varsk and the others can retrieve any they find, that would be appreciated!))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:36 am

((Guessing if it is recovered it will be in the pile of stuff at the mouth of the tower))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:53 am

Varsk drags his unconscious companions to the ruined tower and hauls them inside with the help of Syli and Kal, then they start the process of hiding the lizardfolk bodies by sinking them into the swamp water to the south. Each of the bodies is marked with the red claw sigil that you've seen marking the other parts of this clan's territory, though there are other tattoos that seem unique to each of the lizardfolk.

((I'll take perception / nature checks from Syli and Varsk please while you work))

The murky water takes on a red tinge from the blood, but there's not a lot to be done about that, and hopefully the bodies won't last too long in the heat anyway.

Next, they scavenge what they can, managing to retrieve 3 full quivers of arrows (minus some broken and lost ones), 4 javelins and 3 of Korrik's darts. There are also two machetes and two spiked shields that you add to the pile of gear.

Varsk and Kal leave Syli to keep watch, and tries to follow the woman's trail. The soft ground makes it easy to pick up, which is good in a way, but means that anyone coming here will almost certainly find signs of the battle... The trail leads off to the east, away from what you believe to be the main lizardfolk territory and further into the forest.

After about half an hour of working, the rain begins to ease off and the sun emerges again, and a few minutes after that you hear a single long horn blast followed by three short. ((How far are Varsk and Kal following the trail? You have followed it about 100 m by the time the horn blows))

Syli, I'll take another perception check from you at this point if you were keeping watch.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:59 am

((How many bows were recovered? Korrik would be interested in a longer range option.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:00 am

Syli mutters under her breath as the two boys take off after the woman.

Syli... [rolls]
...Gathering Perception (+5): 13
...Nature (+3): 19
...Watch Perception (+5): 19

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:04 am

Varsk is way too in grossed in chopping up lizardfolk to notice much.
((She is a walking bag of gold for Varsk. She could be a donkey for all he cares.))

How far away did the horn sound? About how much of a lead does she have on them?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:00 am

spiderwrangler wrote:((How many bows were recovered? Korrik would be interested in a longer range option.))
There are like 6 or so - plenty to go around if you want one.

The horn sounds fairly far away, though it's hard to estimate the exact distance. The last time you saw the woman was during the battle, then you spent a good 30 minutes moving bodies and looting.

-------------

While she's checking the bodies, Syli notices darker patches of scales on a couple of the larger warriors spreading across different parts of their bodies. One has a line of dark scales running down it's back, another has a cluster of scales around it's neck, and the other has patches on it's shoulders. It doesn't seem to be their natural colouration, and the natural tissue around the scales looks swollen and angry. The scales seem harder than their other scales though, and glint like obsidian as the sunlight breaks through. Each warrior with dark scales also bears a tattoo of a black eye on it's throat.

--------------

When she returns to her watch, Syli hears the horn blast from fairly far away, and hears another answering call very faintly echo in distance to the north west.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:26 am

Frowning and looking puzzled at the difference in scales, Syli pauses her work to grab a dagger off of Mehriv, performing the undoubtedly-grisly task of taking a couple of the obsidian scales off the bodies for further examination. As she's on watch, she mulls over in her head the symbol on their throats...

--Religion (+1): 18

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:38 am

Varsk ponders the situation a moment before sending Kal back and moving as quickly as he can following the trail.

((Seriously, she was hurt and tired. What could possibly go wrong!))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:50 am

Syli doesn't recognise the symbol as a religious one, though it could well be the symbol of some swamp cult she hasn't heard of. Still, given the extent of the tattoos on the bodies, this must be an important symbol to be placed in such a prominent location. She wonders what these warriors might have done to receive one.

She pulls out her dagger and cuts a couple of the hard scales from the lizardfolk's skin. The flesh underneath seems noticeably infected and oozy.

Kal rejoins Syli and the pair keep watch while Syli tends to her injuries (regaining those 5hp). They hear one more horn blast in the same pattern (one long, three short) in the far distance, then things go quiet again. After another 20 minutes or so, Mehriv begins to wake up.

---------------

Varsk meanwhile is off on a solo adventure. He hurries along the trail the woman left, paying little attention to the noise he's making as he hurries onwards, deeper into the forest...

((Perception check, please))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:13 pm

Perception: 12

After a while following the trail a while Varsk will begin to slow, listening for the woman and moving more quietly.

((How much daylight is left? He will turn around after about 45 minutes and head back, woman or no.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:25 pm

((There's probably a couple of hours left.))

Varsk continues for maybe 20 minutes, struggling to make progress through the muddy ground and startling each time an iguana or bird rustles the leaves overhead. Still, the trail continues and there's no sign of any more lizardfolk out here. As he's clambering out of the mud for like the tenth time to struggle over a tree root, he hears a gentle splash about 40 feet ahead of him and a whispered curse. He freezes and everything seems quiet for the moment.

He doesn't see what caused the splash.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:40 pm

Varsk will continue towards the sound cautiously, trying to be sneaky but mostly just squelching in mud loudly.

As sneaky isn't an option anymore he will call out quietly, using his least threatening voice while approaching,

"Hey, lady? That you? We delt with the lizards. We came from town to save the people that were grabbed from the boat. Even got a writ to be on the Morley lands here."

Sneaking: 6

Persuasion: 15