The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
Nioca
Floods your Ears

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Nioca » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:30 pm

Syli walks back over to the others. "Well that was exciting. Now we have dinner for tonight!" With that, Syli starts to gather together the dead snakes. As she does, she nudges Darruk with her foot. "And why don't YOU make yourself useful and tend to the others, rather than sittin' on your ass feelin' sorry for yourself. We all gotta pull our weight out here."

With that, she sets about prepping the snakes for a nice meal. However, she does check to see if any of their venom might be recoverable.

((Would that be Nature or Survival?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:37 pm

I hand Syli the snake my dart dropped, and limp over to sit next to Dar.
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:20 pm

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:05 pm

Hit Dice + Con, you say?

1d6+2 = 6
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:44 am

Ok: So if you guys want to take a short rest, that'll be at least 1 hour of non-strenuous activity (resting / tending wounds) during which you can spend your hit die to recover some HP if you like. Bear in mind you only get one hit die per level per day, so if you spend it now, you're probably done for the remainder of the quest.

As for harvesting from the snakes, you will need to make a survival check to take the meat, but I'll give you advantage if you make a decent nature check first.

The rules on harvesting and crafting poisons are incredibly vague, but they do seem to require a poisoner's kit and proficiency with it. You can learn that stuff as a downtime activity at some point if you're interested in adding it to your character skills, but it's definitely something we should discuss because it'll be houserules all the way.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:13 am

Syli Harvest Rolls...
...Nature (+3): CRITICAL! (23)
...Survival (+3): 16 13

((Who's up for Snake Filet Mignon? :lol: ))
Last edited by Nioca on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:18 am

((Well, being at 1 HP, a rest seemed needed for me, though I only healed 2...))
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:32 am

Hooray!!

Ok, while the others tend to their injuries, Syli sets to work harvesting the meat from the snakes. She remembers that sometimes even dead snakes can bite reflexivly, but it's nothing that a little prodding with a stick doesn't solve and she successfully avoids getting bitten. It turns out that even though these guys can fly, they are otherwise pretty similar to any other snake shes ever dealt with and she's able to gut and filet three of the carcasses without too much trouble. The one that was burned to death and the one that imploded are sadly unsalvageable, but what can you do.

She cooks immediately it to prevent it spoiling in the tropical heat, and figures there's enough meat here for a single full meal.

((Cool, thanks spider! I hadn't spotted those rules with a quick google so that's very helpful!))

Syli - if you want to collect a dose of venom now, that Nat 20 will cover it.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:46 am

She gathers the poison with a vial from her herbalism kit. "There was hardly any meat on those things... you guys need to attract bigger snakes." She divides it up amongst the others, making it at least a nice midday snack.

((Thanks, Spider! I wasn't sure of the rules there myself.))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:05 pm

Gwen snickers at Syli's joke. "No offence but I would rather not be attacked by larger snakes when these tiny ones caused this much damage and caused Korrik to faint." She happily eats the snake, glad to have something else asides from just berries.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:58 pm

I give a rueful shrug. "I'm just a little guy.
I'll pass for now on snakes that are as big to you as these are to me... They'd swallow me in one go!"

((And by for now, I mean until I'm 10th level monk and immune to poison...))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:07 pm

((just as a short reminder, but you guys followed the trail this far and then lost it. When you're ready to move on, I'll take a new set of checks depending on how and what you're looking for))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:11 pm

If there's underbrush and the like, I'll poke about where others can't get as easy if I can give Syli or whoever assistance on their check.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:21 pm

Sure thing. I'll say you can provide advantage on survival or investigation checks if they explain what they're looking for. Knowledge checks will be solo as discussed :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:26 pm

((Sure, I was trying to help on a track finding attempt.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:52 pm

Once the group decides to start moving again, Syli, using the point where they were attacked as a center for her investigations, walks out a few yards and starts pacing out a wide circle around that point, attempting to pick up where the trail starts again. She looks mainly for signs of where the underbrush would've been disturbed by a large creature making passage through, watching for signs of broken branches, caught fur, and of course any footprints that match up with what she saw earlier.

Syli Survival (+3 w/ Advantage[?]): 12

((...my advantage rolls seem to be jinxed. My first roll so far is always the higher of the two))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:33 pm

Survival (find tracks): Nat 20
Mahriv continues to exemplify why he's da baws. :p
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:38 am

Syli and Korrik cast around the area, looking for a range of things that might lead them onwards. After a little while, they find a patch of ground that looks fairly trampled down and a small trail leading further west. Theres no sign of any bear tracks here though, until Mehriv shouts out to the group that he's found something.

Curiously, right at the start of the trail there seems to be a patch of ground where the bear tracks stop. You see a lot of churned up dirt and find what looks like a smear of dried blood on the trunk of a tree. Bare, humanoid footprints lead away towards the trail Korrik and Syli found, that look about the size of a halfling, gnome or a child of one of the larger races...

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:22 pm

"Hm. Either there was a struggle of some sort, or this really isn't just a bear. A costume? A shapeshifter?"
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:28 pm

Gwen tries to determine why the tracks are like that, shifting. Her heart drops a little when she hears it's possibly a child. Nature: 1D20-1 = [13]-1 = 12

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:03 pm

I compare the print to my own. ((Trying to see if I can tell if it is a halfling.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:13 pm

Korrik compares the footprint to his own, and decides that it's probably not broad enough to belong to a halfling at least.

Gwen looks a little closer, but can't tell much more than Mehriv already discovered. The footprint is quite slender, and certainly doesn't leave as deep an imprint as the bear tracks, but aside from telling you that the bear is heavier than the humanoid being, you don't learn much of value.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:47 pm

"Well, whoever left these prints was no halfling... Are we thinking that the other prints... bear was it?... turned into these prints? I feel like I might have heard about something of that sort..."
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:29 pm

"I'm thinking it might be. Of course, now it's starting to look like we're hunting someone's kid here. Y'see, the prints back at the farm were most definitely bear prints, BUT they were also inordinately small, as if they belonged to either a very small species of bear or a bear cub, rather than a full-grown adult. And now we find this new trail, humanoid prints, but too small to belong to an adult..."

Syli frowns, shrugging her shoulders. "I dunno. Could be way off, here, but this fits in with everything we already know."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:10 pm

"It is a sad thing, should this be a child, but we must still take action. The subject in question has been ruining the business of that family, and cannot be ignored."
My game:

My characters: