Kore Discussion / Speculation

Discuss the comic here!
Kore
Speaks Quietly

Re: Kore Discussion / Speculation

Post by Kore » Mon May 06, 2013 8:39 pm

You ask wrong question. You should really be asking how can a goblin become a paladin despite being a monster and thus evil? That is the real mystery.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue May 07, 2013 11:37 am

Kore wrote:You ask wrong question.
Kore, you're an extremist Paladin dedicated to the destruction of evil. You are not the Hulk.

Time until someone claims that Kore's the Hulk...

T' Northerner
Of Few Words

Post by T' Northerner » Tue May 07, 2013 11:50 am

Don't make him detect evil. You wont like him when he detects evil

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue May 07, 2013 12:19 pm

Yet, the Kore we know takes care to use a correct language.
The improper and careless use of language is an indication of a lesser mind, which are far more susceptible to influences of the evil.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Tue May 07, 2013 12:32 pm

Two mostly irrelevant thoughts here: A) This is the funniest page on the entire forum and B) we need more characters to join. If Kissless threatened to eat my Legos, I would just die of laughter.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue May 07, 2013 9:06 pm

BTW, someone has pointed out by now that Kore is missing the same part of his beard that never existed on Forgath's face, right?
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Tue May 07, 2013 9:13 pm

If you're getting at the "Kore is a Forgath/Terminator hybrid" theory, surely you recall that Kore's beard-loss was an entirely separate event, right?
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue May 07, 2013 9:32 pm

Separate event, yes. But I'm predicting Forgath and Kore will be coming face to face in the near future, and if there's going to be a big dramatic visual reveal, that would help things along.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

The Scrub
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by The Scrub » Wed May 08, 2013 3:32 am

We know that there is an axe of prissan and the alt version, a hammer of jale.
Obvious puns aside, one contains a demon and the other an angel.

Let us assume that the two both existed in all universes where the hammer or the axe exist.
Let us assume that Korw was a paladin present at the sealing.
What if the demon was sealed with the power/essence of th angel.
Kore is accidentally imbued with some aspect of this angel and possibly the demon as well.
I can't pursue this logic further but let's assume this causes him to go insane.
He now eradicates evil, uses the power he has gained and wishes to attain th axe for reasons unknown.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Wed May 08, 2013 4:14 am

Kore finally gets the Axe (already weakened from its time with Saral Caine), and it breaches, letting the demon out. This finally convinces him that what he's been doing may just be...not so good, and he gets killed fighting it in the most cliche plot device ever.

Reads_Forums
Speaks Quietly

Post by Reads_Forums » Wed May 08, 2013 6:14 am

Can we rule out a wish gone bad? It's the sort of unintended consequence that could be derived from a wish. Suppose More lost his paladin status due to actions he felt necessary and wished he could act in such a way for the greater good without losing status, the slow decent, taking larger and larger steps over the line whilst retaining his paladin status confirms his own perception that his actions are for the greater good.

Probably too simple Occam's razor doesn't normally apply to fiction.

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Thu May 09, 2013 2:32 pm

Couple of probably ridiculous theories:

Kore made a deal with the demon in the axe to release it.

Kore wants to release the demon in the axe because it is evil and he wants to destroy it and he can't do that while it's sealed in the axe.

Kore is an alt-Forgath who killed all the Goblins in the Warcamp with MinMax.

Kore is an alt-Forgath who completed the MoM with MinMax and Kin but the Jade Teapot sends you to the correct place but not always in the correct reality.

Kore states he was "gifted". He was one of the Nine Paladins who survived after sealing the Prissan Demon and due to this service his God blessed him to be unable to fall.

Forgath is a surname. Kore's full name is Kore Forgath and he is related in some way to our Forgath.

Kore worships Herbert. Since Herbert is the DM he can do whatever he wants. Rule 0

yup all those theories are probably wrong
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu May 09, 2013 2:37 pm

BeanDip wrote: Kore wants to release the demon in the axe because it is evil and he wants to destroy it and he can't do that while it's sealed in the axe.
I can see him trying that. He seems just crazy enough that he thinks it might work.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Linkcharge
Whispers Softly

Post by Linkcharge » Thu May 09, 2013 3:01 pm

Yep, that seems totally in character for him. I guess we'll see just how crazy he is. It's just possible that, while he wants to do it, he'll realize that he can't win, so he'll put it off until he can gain more power. We haven't actually seen him do anything disconnected-from-reality type crazy yet. So far, everything he has done has been rational, if colored by his *ahem* "special" point of view.

I think we might get some very interesting info, if he ever gets his hands on that axe.

langerhans
Of Few Words

Post by langerhans » Thu May 09, 2013 3:03 pm

I don't know why so many people seem to be gripped by the idea that Kore is an alt-Forgath, i'm leaning towards thinking that the whole MoM is a self contained sub-adventure, and unlikely to be part of key plot points across the whole comic.

i do think that Kore's backstory is gonna have something to do with the Axe of Prissan though,

http://www.goblinscomic.com/11262010-2/

I'm trying to read something into the 1 eye worth of facial expression in panel 9... fear? shock?
seems to me like he's encountered that axe before.

BeanDip

Post by BeanDip » Thu May 09, 2013 3:06 pm

Adding to my theory that Kore wants to release the demon in the axe to destroy it.

Kore's God wants the demon Prissan destroyed too and sent Kore on this quest. Because the Axe must be used for evil purposes in order to release the demon, Kore is allowed (gifted) by his god to do evil deeds without falling so that Kore can use the Axe of Prissan for evil, thus releasing and then destroying the demon.

Sounds possible at least
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Thu May 09, 2013 3:18 pm

1. Kin dies.
2. Forgath, driven to ensure this never happens to anyone else, multiclasses to paladin.
3. Minmax, who did not handle Kin's death well, dies despite Forgath's attempts to protect him.
4. Forgath goes insane. His love for his friends fuels his hatred of all things evil.
5. Forgath goes on a quest to find a way to go back in time to save Kin.
6. Forgath goes too far back.
7. Forgath changes his name to Kore.
8. Kore catches up with the GAP just as Forgath arrives from the MoM.
9. In the pitched battle, Forgath kills Kore, fulfilling the prophecy that he will die in battle with a dwarf.

It's all so simple!

► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu May 09, 2013 3:24 pm

langerhans wrote:I'm trying to read something into the 1 eye worth of facial expression in panel 9... fear? shock?
I imagine that most paladins would know about the axe, and the second that it touched him (Big Ears swipes at him right before he is thrown off) he would know that it was the Axe of Prissan and it's whole history. Also, he doesn't seem to recognize the axe until it passes through him. If he had encountered it before then he would have recognized it instantly. I think he was shocked that an evil goblin had the axe, and also that Kore wanted the axe for himself, either because he wanted to kill the demon, or to have a paladin super weapon.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

langerhans
Of Few Words

Post by langerhans » Thu May 09, 2013 3:33 pm

SamWiser wrote:
langerhans wrote:I'm trying to read something into the 1 eye worth of facial expression in panel 9... fear? shock?
I imagine that most paladins would know about the axe, and the second that it touched him (Big Ears swipes at him right before he is thrown off) he would know that it was the Axe of Prissan and it's whole history. Also, he doesn't seem to recognize the axe until it passes through him. If he had encountered it before then he would have recognized it instantly. I think he was shocked that an evil goblin had the axe, and also that Kore wanted the axe for himself, either because he wanted to kill the demon, or to have a paladin super weapon.
yeah to be honest i'm not totally convinced by my own reasoning there, but such a high level paladin will have been around for quite a while so it's not impossible.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Thu May 09, 2013 3:37 pm

He has - a couple of previous wielders ran far, far away when they heard of him. I'll dredge up the pages.

langerhans
Of Few Words

Post by langerhans » Thu May 09, 2013 3:41 pm

Glemp wrote:
He has - a couple of previous wielders ran far, far away when they heard of him. I'll dredge up the pages.
bwaha! i knew i was a genius

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Thu May 09, 2013 3:50 pm

Glemp wrote:
Okay, I haven't been able to find them, but I'm certain that Kore's mentioned in one of them.

BeanDip

Post by BeanDip » Thu May 09, 2013 3:51 pm

Flejj Hillmover's page,I think

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Thu May 09, 2013 3:56 pm

BeanDip wrote:Flejj Hillmover's page,I think
Thanks!

"Flejj Hillmover - Male Dwarf. He fought Kore twice and survived. His family was not so lucky. He shaved his beard in shame."

That's the Axe's great-grandwielder before Big Ears.

Kore
Speaks Quietly

Post by Kore » Thu May 09, 2013 4:06 pm

If you read the axe's original page, EVERY paladin normally strongly reacts to axe and is drawn to it. It is silly to think something special because I am drawn to it, just shows I am normal. You are the abnormal ones wasting time speculating about me rather than ridding the world of evil monsters. I can only hunt and kill 1 evil at a time, if others helped the job would get done faster.

I admire Psi-max. He works to rid world of seeds of evil, including ones in him after his association with monsters, he sets a good example. Here is a song I send out to the other Minmax's of the multiverse, warns of the danger from snakes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfeEcCLMtxk