Twitter: [now] new colourist, again.

Discuss the comic here!
Synch
Game Master

Re: Twitter tweets (now: Blog post postponed for a bit more)

Post by Synch » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:44 pm

Sessine wrote:Here's what I see in that picture.

I think he got to a pivotal point, one that he's been foreshadowing since the beginning, one that will have huge consequences for the whole rest of the story. He felt it had to be done perfectly. It had to blow our minds. He even said as much on Twitter. Only, the closer he got to it, the bigger it LOOMED -- until it was enormous. Too big for anyone! When he got right up against it, nothing he tried could possibly be good enough.

"I've GOT to do this" vs. "I CAN'T do this!" Enough stress there to trigger a breakdown, yessiree, and it's been coming on for a while. That image is raw exposed nerves and urgency and anxiety and pain and self-doubt destroying everything that's been done until now and a head turning to wood.
What if Korgath dies in the next three panels, and Thunt has been struggling with drawing it, and the fact he can't draw him dying is stressing him out?
Has Thunt ever mentioned in the past if drawing any main characters dying (eg Chief) was difficult for him to do?
► Show Spoiler

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:04 pm

Synch wrote:Has Thunt ever mentioned in the past if drawing any main characters dying (eg Chief) was difficult for him to do?
Stressful, maybe, but it was an excited, buildup-to-a-climax stressful. Nothing so nervetwisting as the wait we're sitting out.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

smjjames
Of Few Words

Post by smjjames » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:12 pm

Maybe he can have Forgath pull a Jesus resurrection or something?
Synch wrote:

I think he got to a pivotal point, one that he's been foreshadowing since the beginning, one that will have huge consequences for the whole rest of the story. He felt it had to be done perfectly. It had to blow our minds. He even said as much on Twitter. Only, the closer he got to it, the bigger it LOOMED -- until it was enormous. Too big for anyone! When he got right up against it, nothing he tried could possibly be good enough.

"I've GOT to do this" vs. "I CAN'T do this!" Enough stress there to trigger a breakdown, yessiree, and it's been coming on for a while. That image is raw exposed nerves and urgency and anxiety and pain and self-doubt destroying everything that's been done until now and a head turning to wood.
What if Korgath dies in the next three panels, and Thunt has been struggling with drawing it, and the fact he can't draw him dying is stressing him out?
Has Thunt ever mentioned in the past if drawing any main characters dying (eg Chief) was difficult for him to do?
You're getting Kore and Forgath mixed up here.

Denjanjeau
Mutters to Themself

Post by Denjanjeau » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:54 pm

I am very excited to see thunts twitters. I am looking forward to the blog post. What I fear most is that the comic won't be updated again of course.

Edit: I see thunt writes that he WILL be coming back to update the comic. Also, based on the picture he drew for the upcoming blog post, it is a matter of personal distress. But.. why? Legal issues? Children? Mental health due to stress? I am a curious person, but it's not like I feel entitled to an explanation to be honest - I just want to read the comic :)

I am a bit curious about him posting the minmax and kins distress besides his own. Problems between him and Danielle would be a speculation. Lets hope it's not.

Go Thunt!

Ulalume
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Ulalume » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:03 am

Geez. That picture, along with the tweets about him struggling with the "terrifying" blog that he's attempting to write truly worry me. Not about the comic, but about Thunt himself. At this point, I'm just hoping that whatever happened to cause the hiatus is something he can completely recover from...emotionally and financially, whichever of those may apply. :(

Rooks
Speaks Quietly

Post by Rooks » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:06 am

Synch wrote:

I'm not seeing it. Thunt has had the story for Goblins for forever. He knew what was happening. He's a story teller, I think he'd rather see his story told.

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:12 am

GuessesWildly wrote:I predict he might have made a major continuity error of some sort, and has been trying to find possible ways to fix it without retconning (making major revisions to the storyline).
smjjames wrote:
CooksACarrot wrote:Based on my reading of Thunt through the blog and twitter feed over the last 6 years or so. I might not be right, but I don't believe a continuity error would be a cause for com silence. He has generally been upfront about needing to make changes in the past.
Besides, with all the analysis that you guys do, you guys would likely know of the continuity error.
Yea, and we've already had one continuity error he quickly fixed :D Remember the MinMax rhyming incident? (Fixed version- no idea if anyone has the original) :lol:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:23 am

GS's shoulder wound from Thaco disappears, then reappears again while in the sewer. ;)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

w33zul
Remains Silent

Post by w33zul » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:52 am

Ulalume wrote:Geez. That picture, along with the tweets about him struggling with the "terrifying" blog that he's attempting to write truly worry me. Not about the comic, but about Thunt himself. At this point, I'm just hoping that whatever happened to cause the hiatus is something he can completely recover from...emotionally and financially, whichever of those may apply. :(
I agree. I think we can speculate and create all kinds of weird and wacky scenarios. Thunt will tell us when he's ready, even though it's driving us all bonkers.

The picture he posted leads me to speculate that there may be a couple of things going on. I won't bother with my scenarios as it's more guessing with no firsthand knowledge.

Bounty
Remains Silent

Post by Bounty » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:05 am

If Thunt fixed it he must have done it really quickly. The Wayback Machine archived the page 4 days later, and it's the same as the version you shared.

Banderwock
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Banderwock » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:10 am

I'm a fan of the comic, and had an account on one of the previous incarnations of the forums, but only posted a few times. Now that Thunt seems to be doing better and (hopefully) moving back towards continuing the comic, I registered again to give a few words of support. It seems an explanation will be given soon because Thunt is generally very open about things, but whatever the situation I hope that he and his family take the time needed to be ok. The comic is less important than their well-being.

Anyway, I'd like to wish them good luck, and if/when the comic continues I will be here to keep reading. Thanks for writing all these years.

Hellborn_Blight
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Hellborn_Blight » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:13 am

I think the way thunt drew the troll for the picture he posted a few days ago was really interesting.
"...she, or someone like her, will always be with us, waiting for the right climate in which to flourish, spreading fear in the name of righteousness. Vigilance, Mister Worf - that is the price we have to continually pay." - Captain Picard of the USS Enterprise

Arles
Game Master
UStream Username: sir_arles

Post by Arles » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:45 pm

I don't get why the mods locked the "Enough is enough!" thread. I share OP's opinion that giving deadlines and not meeting them again, and again, and again, and again is not cool. This has been happening with many things in the past few years, and I think it will keep happening.

It was fair criticism and it was posted with care and respect.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:55 pm

I don't really see the problem. I agreed with the post till a certain extent, because I think that it stresses THunt out too if he makes a promise he can't keep, but I also feel like there was not much else to say than has been said. It would be better for him to not make a promise besides "I'm working on it", because the failed schedules seem to rub a lot of people the wrong way, and it would be wiser to just post something like "I'm working on it", what he has been doing after the promise.
Still, the post didn't need a thread all on its own, so I'm not surprised it got locked.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:55 pm

Arles wrote:I don't get why the mods locked the "Enough is enough!" thread. I share OP's opinion that giving deadlines and not meeting them again, and again, and again, and again is not cool. This has been happening with many things in the past few years, and I think it will keep happening.

Pretty sure it had to do with making an entire thread about it...it's a bit "whiny"...
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

Arles
Game Master
UStream Username: sir_arles

Post by Arles » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:57 pm

Oh, it's about having a thread of its own. Ok then.

BopEuph
Mutters to Themself
UStream Username: Bopeuph

Post by BopEuph » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:00 pm

Arles wrote:I don't get why the mods locked the "Enough is enough!" thread. I share OP's opinion that giving deadlines and not meeting them again, and again, and again, and again is not cool. This has been happening with many things in the past few years, and I think it will keep happening.

Sure didn't look like respect to me.

In my opinion, he fully intends to explain, but he's afraid to. He didn't deliver that on time because it wasn't as easy as he might have thought. And any amount of complaining and pushing isn't going to make him want to get it over with any faster.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:01 pm

I wrote why I locked it. Complaining is helping no one. We don't need people insulting the author, who had been through, and is still going through a difficult time. I'm sorry if you're frustrated, but this is not the time or place to be inciting people to anger at the author. It's trolling, and at this point it's beating a dead horse. Both against the rules.

If you have something useful to say, by all means say it. Otherwise, keep it to yourself, and yes, don't make a whole complaint thread.

mustache_man
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by mustache_man » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:31 pm

Meh. I just read that thread. It doesn't help anyone, of course, but it wasn't rude. If you guys want to forbid the topic, by all means, have at it. I suppose some people might think it's insensitive to complain about the successive blog postponements at this moment, but just as many readers share the same opinion (to varying degrees). I'll grant though, that creating an entire thread dedicated to it is a bit much.

Talos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Talos » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:35 pm

I'm doing my best not to complain. I have a feeling that when Thunt finally gets around to telling us what was really up, those who complained will feel like crap for having done so. Yes, the blog is delayed, but there are other things to worry about in this world.

Knucklekraken
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Knucklekraken » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:37 pm

It's pretty easy to get me riled up about people not giving Thunt his time on this one, because there are things that are really, really hard to talk about.

I have one of those things. I haven't told anyone about it. Not even the people who care about me the most. Sometimes it's hard to say what you want to say. We aren't even the people Thunt cares about the most, plus we are likely to be unsympathetic (Lookin' at you, Arles) and, you know, it might be embarrassing or maddening or it might be impossible to think about without crying... there are things like that.

Sometimes it's easier just to keep your mouth shut forever.

Ethereal
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Ethereal » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:10 pm

Guus wrote:I don't really see the problem. I agreed with the post till a certain extent, because I think that it stresses THunt out too if he makes a promise he can't keep, but I also feel like there was not much else to say than has been said. It would be better for him to not make a promise besides "I'm working on it", because the failed schedules seem to rub a lot of people the wrong way, and it would be wiser to just post something like "I'm working on it", what he has been doing after the promise.
Still, the post didn't need a thread all on its own, so I'm not surprised it got locked.
I think it DOES need it's own thread, but the mods are seemingly trying to suppress that point of view without going all the way to deleting and/or censoring posts. I don't like how Thunt has been trolling us (inadvertently or not), by STILL making promises and then not following through on them. I think his problem right now might be that he's trying to spin this in some way to make it not his fault, and not coming up with anything that's going to be believable when he does post it. Sure, his diehard fans won't care (in my opinion), but it's not THEM he's wanting to win over, it's everyone else.

I've tried to keep this civil, so if one is tempted to flame me for this post, please reconsider. I *will* report anyone who does. If you disagree, please keep it civil.

Talos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Talos » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:28 pm

How about we all just lay off Thunt on this one? While I can't say he's handled this perfectly, I can't say I'd do any better in his situation, and I don't think any of us would either. I suppose it would help if we knew what precisely was the problem, but that image he made suggests it is pretty awful.

mnementh
Former Mod

Post by mnementh » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:34 pm

:paranoia:

mnem
:cheer:

Hjerne
Of Few Words

Post by Hjerne » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:35 pm

I think Thunt did something that he thinks may cause his fans to leave him in droves. Assaulted somebody? Let his dog get eaten by a bear so he could get away? Turned his underwear inside out so he could wear them two days in a row? Who knows what Thunt would consider an unforgivable abomination.

But it's not just family or financial problems. It's something that he thinks could destroy his career.