Twitter: [now] new colourist, again.

Discuss the comic here!
wordelo
Mutters to Themself

Re: Twitter tweets (now: blog post=april fools?)

Post by wordelo » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:01 am

I tend to question EVERYTHING I hear during this time regardless of the source. I guess I don't know Thunt as well as I thought I did. Until told otherwise I believe everything thunt says. but I simply can't shake this feeling.

we are not arguing whether or not this is a prank, this is clearly no laughing matter.

we are arguing about whether or not thunt has the capacity to pull this kind of prank. one thing I'm sure about, I just don't know.

the argument that thunt would only do this for a week before april fools but not this long. my counter argument again is that he needed time to draw those 3 pages that would "blow our minds" and then some.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:23 am

I see your point, I really do. I just don't think Thunt is that short-sighted. If he wanted time to blow our minds, he could have April Fools'd that, eg, his computer went boom. I mean, that in itself would probably have spawned a Fix The Computer donation drive by the fans, which is equally inappropriate... but you know what I mean, right? If he wanted to April Fools us, there would be tons of ways of doing it that -wouldn't- offend a load of people.

Hey, you were the 1000th reply in this thread. You win! :)

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:30 am

Guus wrote:And hope THunt will come up with a joke for today, or I will be forever disappointed and won't be able to sleep tonight :'(
Well, I don't remember April Fool's jokes from last year or the one before. At least not on the comic page.
We have the one I linked in a previous post, but that was posted three years ago (2011).

But in general terms, I'd prefer THunt concentrating on telling Goblinscomic than having april fool's jokes.
But then, he is human, and as such he does need breaks (which he really deserves, even without the current crisis). And within such a break I'd prefer having a simple Aprif Fool's update than nothing....

But I'll take whatever he can deliver. And that's pretty much already.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:44 am

One of them was a fake lawsuit against Sohmer using his characters in LICD, which someone from Penny Arcade missed was an April Fools' Day prank.
Last edited by Davecom3 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:47 am

made this and tweeted to Thunt. if you wish to join in on the WB, then the link to the tweet is here: https://twitter.com/devaItiden/statuses ... 0815515648

spoiler for image size:
► Show Spoiler
Edit: also know, the "worship" part of this image is meant in the most friendly way of jesting, please do NOT start to actually make notions of fan worship, Thunt would much rather see you all as equals as I understand it from his live sessions....
-Best regards LAYF

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:38 am

Krulle, did you just take me seriously or are you double joking me? :P

LAYF: is it possible for you to give my regards on that appreciative jest? I think it's quite funny, but I don't have a twitter :(
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:44 am

Will mention it :)
Edit: posted your regards :)
-Best regards LAYF

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:28 am

Thank you very much ;)

Vaylon
Remains Silent

Post by Vaylon » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:16 pm

Hello, I'm Vaylon Kenadell, and I'm new to the forums. I recently introduced myself in the newcomer thread, but what I have to say will be more relevant here.

I recently discovered Goblins back in November. One of my friends suggested the comic to me due to its depiction of an evil paladin, which I found fascinating. I read the comic all the way through to the most recent updates, and it was very entertaining. It has, in my opinion, some very good moments of writing, and I often recommended the comic to others, showing them particular pages (such as this one) that I thought were fun to read.

When the updates stopped, I wondered what was going on, so I decided to read the forums to see what I could learn. I was very disappointed with what I saw, but, besides all that, reading the artist's Twitter and forum posts has greatly diminished the entertainment value of the comic. Though I initially found the comic very engaging, I can't bring myself to continue to support what I feel is unprofessional and immature behavior by the artist, nor do I think I can continue recommending the comic to others.

I've been reading this thread and others from nearly the beginning of the update freeze, so I've seen a lot of people get attacked for sharing similar sentiments, and I expect that to happen to me. But, before you do, please let me note that I don't feel that I am owed anything, since I only just started reading the comic. I also don't expect or intend to change anyone's mind; all I wish is to freely and politely voice my sincere opinions about what I've read.

I've often said that writers should not interact with their fans, and I have come to believe that Goblins is another example of why that is true. I'm sorry to see this happen to something that I thought was really good.

Thank you.

Note: this is not an April Fool's joke. I forgot that was today. My statement is genuinely meant.
Last edited by Vaylon on Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:30 pm

Not an attack in any way - I have no problem with people having differing views than mine, when they're as polite as you are! But I'm genuinely curious as to which part you found unprofessional and immature...his mental health issue, his publicising it, or his particular way of handling it? :/

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:36 pm

Or our behaviour toeards one another?

Fare thee well!
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:54 pm

Hey, I'm the most professionalist professional professioner you're ever going to see! :x

In all seriousness: it's your right to feel the way you do and you stated it in a rational way, so I will stand by nikohl. It's a shame it put you off though, maybe it works better for you if you try to seperate the writer from the work?
I know of a few writers I would probably dislike if I met them in real life, but do like their works. Their personal behaviour does not have to affect you liking the story ;)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:58 pm

nikohl wrote:Not an attack in any way - I have no problem with people having differing views than mine, when they're as polite as you are! But I'm genuinely curious as to which part you found unprofessional and immature...his mental health issue, his publicising it, or his particular way of handling it? :/
I just assumed it was someone making a new account to pull some April Fool's type "Thunt gives me sads" prank.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:03 pm

Argh Blargle wrote:Well, after much and long lurking, I had to register to prove that the best way to avoid a mass-banning is to get in late :lol:

And very glad to see Thunt posting again ( comic can wait mate ).

Oh and not Canadian o:)
Tofu wrote:...
Riddle me this then ..

Quebecois is to Canada as is What to British?
Surely you mean Scotland ( since we're the ones most likely to ... leave :P )
You guys leaving?. Don't forget that you have to leave ALL your trousers behind, it is skirts-for-boys time, forever for you, from now on!. :lol: :lol: :P

But you can have my golf-clubs back when you can pry them from my lock car boot.
Jochi wrote: The UK, maybe. You can't really leave Britain unless you have a bigger spindizzy than James Blish ever envisioned.

*man mentions Spindizzies. My head explodes* :D

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:07 pm

I've never seen anyone get banned or ripped on for POLITE discussion/disagreement. Heck, that's half the fun! I've noticed that the longterm members and mods do like to tease each other, but I would consider that normal for any community. And like any community, you will have diverse opinions. For example, about the only authors I can think of that don't have any contact with their readership are likely to be cloistered monks. That and the guy who wrote "Catcher In The Rye". And probably the guys writing most scientific articles (there are exceptions there). Everyone else seems to have and want some contact with their readers so they get some feedback about how they are doing. The internet just makes it happen in realtime.

wordelo
Mutters to Themself

Post by wordelo » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:26 pm

nikohl wrote:I see your point, I really do. I just don't think Thunt is that short-sighted. If he wanted time to blow our minds, he could have April Fools'd that, eg, his computer went boom. I mean, that in itself would probably have spawned a Fix The Computer donation drive by the fans, which is equally inappropriate... but you know what I mean, right? If he wanted to April Fools us, there would be tons of ways of doing it that -wouldn't- offend a load of people.
OK now I see your point. I think he could have just did a cease and desist order from wizards prank.
Hey, you were the 1000th reply in this thread. You win! :)
YAY!!!! do I get a million internet points?

Vaylon wrote:Hello, I'm Vaylon Kenadell, and I'm new to the forums.

I can't bring myself to continue to support what I feel is unprofessional and immature behavior, nor do I think I can continue recommending the comic to others.
see? this is what I'm talking about. just because of today I have a hard time believing that this person genuinely thinks that this community is immature...

even with this edit

Note: this is not an April Fool's joke. I forgot that was today. My statement is genuinely meant.
you liked the comic but you don't like other people that read the comic. That's fine you don't have to like us. but coming on here signing up only to explain that we are immature and you are leaving means you are just as bad as we apparently are.

Jural
Whispers Softly

Post by Jural » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:55 pm

Vaylon wrote:...Though I initially found the comic very engaging, I can't bring myself to continue to support what I feel is unprofessional and immature behavior, nor do I think I can continue recommending the comic to others...

...I've often said that writers should not interact with their fans, and I have come to believe that Goblins is another example of why that is true. I'm sorry to see this happen to something that I thought was really good...
I can see someone having this impression, but my emotions run counter. While I am not a huge admirer of the pomp and circumstances surrounding the recent ban and author response, the entire situation for me creates (probably the illusion of) a bond with the author.

Once the comic is updating again, I will gladly recommend others to it.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:43 pm

Just wanted to say one thing to you all:
THANK YOU ALL

Okay... why this outburst and in an information box no less?

because THIS!
this right there and above is what I love about this forum!
Diverse opinions and a civil conversation about it!

if you guys and gals keep this up I may even shred a tear and have to find a gold star for all of you :D
okay... over reaction aside... really, thank you, that is what I've really missed to see for a long time.... :woot

The best regards - your friendly neighborhood modderman!
-Best regards LAYF

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:56 pm

wordelo wrote:
Vaylon wrote:Hello, I'm Vaylon Kenadell, and I'm new to the forums.

I can't bring myself to continue to support what I feel is unprofessional and immature behavior, nor do I think I can continue recommending the comic to others.
see? this is what I'm talking about. just because of today I have a hard time believing that this person genuinely thinks that this community is immature...

even with this edit

you liked the comic but you don't like other people that read the comic. That's fine you don't have to like us. but coming on here signing up only to explain that we are immature and you are leaving means you are just as bad as we apparently are.
I took that to mean he was implying Thunt was immature and unprofessional. But maybe he meant the community too :?

Anyways, I don't like giving 1-post trolls this much airtime. Lets use this thread to discuss tweets :)
► Show Spoiler

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:42 pm

Well, now I know what to choose for my avatar, time to find a gold star in the comic when my brain locks again writing this darned (but interesting) essay.

Oh, right, tweets! I choose to see the last few tweets as an appropriate april's fools joke. I'm still a little disappointed I didn't here the remark "Op 1 april verloor Alva zijn bril" at uni today though. It roughly translates to "At the first of April Alva lost his glasses". Alva was a Spanish general and on the first of April he lost the city Den Briel in the Netherlands, it's seen nowadays as a reference to that event. Yay, procrastinating your historic essay by thinking about other historic stuff!

mustache_man
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by mustache_man » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:35 pm

Synch wrote:
Anyways, I don't like giving 1-post trolls this much airtime. Lets use this thread to discuss tweets :)
He may well be a troll. I can't really judge as he's only has two posts and one basically just says hello, but out of curiosity, how high a post count do you need before you're not labeled a troll for having an opinion that is not well received by the majority?

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:41 pm

And what type? Frost, Giant, Swamp, Flame, Berserker?

(I am a bit sleep deprived, so I won't bother you guys any longer with my random lame jokes. See you tomorrow evening, for a whole new set of bad humour and unintentional thread derails!)

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:06 pm

mustache_man wrote:
Synch wrote:
He may well be a troll. I can't really judge as he's only has two posts and one basically just says hello, but out of curiosity, how high a post count do you need before you're not labeled a troll for having an opinion that is not well received by the majority?
Se.. that's my thought... yea sure it seems Trolly to just make two posts and nothing else with this kind of content... but then again... he was way to polite about it to be trolling (at least successfully IMO) so I decided to simply take it at face value... he was polite, easy going and did not post anything controversial or insulting as far as I think.... and if it turns out he was a troll and wanted/is getting a cheap laugh out of this? well fine by me.. that would be the kind of trolling I have absolutely no problem with.... it's not harmful, and in the case of this forum I only think it proved to show how nice people in here actually are when things are handed to them in a civilized manner....

so... Vaylon, if you are a troll, I bid you welcome as the first troll to actually make it to my "like list" simply by trolling... keep that up and we may even have to NOT set you on fire, dip you in acid and/or feed you to the dragons....
-Best regards LAYF

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:32 pm

mustache_man wrote:He may well be a troll. I can't really judge as he's only has two posts and one basically just says hello, but out of curiosity, how high a post count do you need before you're not labeled a troll for having an opinion that is not well received by the majority?
Hmm, I don't suppose that's quantifiable. I just don't understand why people need to join a forum just to disagree. Heck, everyone's entitled to their opinion, and I don't really have an issue with what he said, I just don't understand why you'd choose to join a forum just to tell people that you are no longer recommending the comic to anyone and disagree with the behaviour of the author and forum? It seems a bit rendundant to me. He probably won't stick around, so why does he need to go to the effort of joining just to tell us this?

Its like going to a steakhouse to tell them you won't be dining there because you're a vegetarian.

Edit: Regardless, you're a very polite person Vaylon, so I'm sorry you're not sticking around and you're alright by me!
Last edited by Synch on Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
► Show Spoiler

Daughter Of Yahweh
Whispers Softly

Post by Daughter Of Yahweh » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:42 pm

I really don't understand.

How does our strong relationship with Thunt and our active community take the "entertainment value" out of the comic?

What does that even mean?