Twitter: [now] new colourist, again.

Discuss the comic here!
RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Re: Twitter tweets (currently: Tweet from February 15)

Post by RocketScientist » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:19 pm

Thread title changed to reflect current subject.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Re: Twitter tweets (currently: spoiler for 27 Nov)

Post by Liesmith » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:33 pm

LordsBreed wrote:...he just killed any excitement I had for it with his post.
He killed any excitement just by saying that it would be "mind blowing"? Everyone already knows that something big must happen in the next few pages: either Forgath will die, or something big must happen to save him. If he does it a lot, and it bugs you, why do you read his tweets?

If he'd said something like "I'm really proud of the artwork for Forgath's victory!" or "Forgath's prophecy comes to fruition in three pages!" I would be much more inclined to agree with you, since those are big spoilers, and he doesn't usually post stuff like that, so fans who are comfortable with his usual tweets wouldn't expect it.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

SGTdude
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: SGTdude

Re: Re: Twitter tweets (currently: Tweet from February 15)

Post by SGTdude » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:41 pm

Im honestly not expecting the typical here. Like

"Dude like Im totally gonna blow your mind. Forgath....DIES!"

Uh yah tarol. Lamesauce.

I am instead fully expecting it to be something that makes people go "WTF? Where did that come from? Its awesome by the way!" :braingoboom:

I hope Im not disappointed, but its not like I will be anyways regardless.
This user has been Banned. (link to the joke)

nitwit
Mutters to Themself

Post by nitwit » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:56 pm

Liesmith wrote:
He killed any excitement just by saying that it would be "mind blowing"? Everyone already knows that something big must happen in the next few pages: either Forgath will die, or something big must happen to save him. If he does it a lot, and it bugs you, why do you read his tweets?

If he'd said something like "I'm really proud of the artwork for Forgath's victory!" or "Forgath's prophecy comes to fruition in three pages!" I would be much more inclined to agree with you, since those are big spoilers, and he doesn't usually post stuff like that, so fans who are comfortable with his usual tweets wouldn't expect it.
Speaking for myself, whenever i have a desire to find out whats going on with the comic, i find i am forced to read the "tweets" as the anouncement page is so rarely updated, and often has nothing to do with the comic. for example, the current one i see is from all the way back to the 25 of january, and below that is about G:AR, not the comic, after that a pledge drive completely unrelated to the comic. meanwhile information like him being hospitalized and dates being pushed back were in the twitter feed.
I will simply say i would greatly appreciate not having to wade through the twitter feed to get information related to the actual comic, but that really isn't an option.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:18 pm

Valid complaint. I can see why that could be bothersome. But if you don't want to read his tweets, I'm curious as to why you're reading this thread that is specifically about his tweets? It's not a thread about comic-related announcements, after all.

nitwit
Mutters to Themself

Post by nitwit » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:10 pm

RocketScientist wrote:Valid complaint. I can see why that could be bothersome. But if you don't want to read his tweets, I'm curious as to why you're reading this thread that is specifically about his tweets? It's not a thread about comic-related announcements, after all.
Fair enough,
First, this is a thread about the comic, its just about spoilers instead of delays or other things. i am not LordsBreed, and don't have a particular problem with the content of the specific tweet LordsBreed quoted, just incase there was any confusion.
Second, i often find people commenting on anouncements that were in the twitter feed that got buried by other irrelevant comments, and so i missed them. Again, its a "forced to read to find out whats going on" situation. I also find alot of comments from the live drawings that i would have otherwise missed out on buried in these threads.
Third, while this is about the twitter feed, the people tend to start threads about relevant comments in the feed, for example, no one has, or probably ever will, start a thread about the woman who apparantly pressed her breasts against a window for him. which would be more along the lines of what i have a problem with. if such gems were left out of the twitter feed i wouldn't have a problem with it, but alas it and similar things are what constitute the bulk of it.
Last, this board sees so little activity, i occasionally just open everything new and start reading without bothering with titles, in which case it would be totally my fault for stumbling on this, were it not for the fact i had to read the twitter anyway. Really, the damage was done.
Infact, i opened this one in the first place, because my eyes fixed on the november date that was originally there in the title, in lieu of the rest of the title, and opened it out of curiousity, wondering why a spoiler thread from back then was being resurected.

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:51 am

RocketScientist wrote:Thread title changed to reflect current subject.
nitwit wrote:Infact, i opened this one in the first place, because my eyes fixed on the november date that was originally there in the title, in lieu of the rest of the title, and opened it out of curiousity, wondering why a spoiler thread from back then was being resurected.
Indeed - I must complain about the same thing ... even though I first saw the updated title this morning. I still had to wade through almost a page of comments trying to find the point where the "current tweet" was being talked about.

In other words -- I think this was still an inappropriate necro of a very old thread. :( A new thread should have been started.

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:05 am

I have to agree with nitwit here: I very much like Thunt the artist, Thunt the storyteller, Thunt the mischievous teaser who occasionally lets out hints about what is about to come, Thunt the generous-hearted guy who helps random strangers, Thunt the obsessive perfectionist who is always working way too hard to make Goblins the very best possible, even Thunt the man crazy-in-love with his beautiful wife, though that's not really any of my business.

I'm not so keen about the Thunt who keeps getting into stupid fights on Twitter, and blabbing TMI details. I'd rather not be reminded that he's the sort of guy who'll nudge his wife to look at a bare-breasted woman. Danielle is okay with it, that's fine. He wants to tell the whole Twitterverse about it, that's also fine, but people who spout things like that are the exact reason I don't ever want a Twitter account and would rather not read Twitter feeds. I want to like him. Reading his Twitter feed keeps jolting me out of liking him.

But, what the hell. He is who he is. Nobody's perfect. I tell myself he's that clumsy-tongued acquaintance you keep on forgiving for what he just said because you know he's got a heart of gold and didn't mean any harm by it. (And I tell myself it isn't any of my business what he wants to say on Twitter; he's allowed to manage his online social life any way he chooses, he wasn't saying it to me, I just saw it because I was reading for comic-related details, blah, blah, it's like when you accidentally overhear something you wish you hadn't. MYOB. The part of my mind that's objecting shuts up, then, because that's completely true.)
► Show Spoiler

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:21 pm

stevedj wrote:
RocketScientist wrote:Thread title changed to reflect current subject.
nitwit wrote:Infact, i opened this one in the first place, because my eyes fixed on the november date that was originally there in the title, in lieu of the rest of the title, and opened it out of curiousity, wondering why a spoiler thread from back then was being resurected.
Indeed - I must complain about the same thing ... even though I first saw the updated title this morning. I still had to wade through almost a page of comments trying to find the point where the "current tweet" was being talked about.

In other words -- I think this was still an inappropriate necro of a very old thread. :( A new thread should have been started.
The last time I locked an old ongoing thread for being necroed, I got private messages (one polite and one... less so) saying that the no-necroing rule should not have applied to such a thread. So apparently, I can't win. Can you guys please come to a consensus on threads like these and then just let me know? :wall:

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:27 pm

So someone thinks there's a diabolical Necromancer at work?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

LordsBreed
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: LordsBreed

Post by LordsBreed » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:07 pm

Liesmith wrote:

Yes, because he couldn't let what he did stand by itself. He basically had to go "lookie me! I did something awesome! You'll see when I am done but wooooeeeai are you going to be rocked!".

As to why I read his tweets, they are on his front page and since he posts delays and updates in them I look to them. Case in point when his update showed "3 days" and his tweet said it would not be three days, useful information from his tweet.

A matter of opinion. I much rather his say something specific like "Kin looks awesome in this next comic" instead of "Holy shit, what just happened to Kore will blow your mind!"

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:45 pm

RocketScientist wrote:The last time I locked an old ongoing thread for being necroed, I got private messages (one polite and one... less so) saying that the no-necroing rule should not have applied to such a thread. So apparently, I can't win. Can you guys please come to a consensus on threads like these and then just let me know? :wall:
In the future, do what you think is best. It's a little too late to lock this thread, but do whatever you feel is best next time. You'll never be able to please everybody.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:46 pm

LordsBreed wrote:
Liesmith wrote:

Yes, because he couldn't let what he did stand by itself. He basically had to go "lookie me! I did something awesome! You'll see when I am done but wooooeeeai are you going to be rocked!".

As to why I read his tweets, they are on his front page and since he posts delays and updates in them I look to them. Case in point when his update showed "3 days" and his tweet said it would not be three days, useful information from his tweet.

A matter of opinion. I much rather his say something specific like "Kin looks awesome in this next comic" instead of "Holy shit, what just happened to Kore will blow your mind!"
Fair enough, I apologize for being so snippy about it.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: Twitter tweets (currently: Tweet from 15 February)

Post by Krulle » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:21 am

Well, it looks more and more like our minds will be blown because the comic is finally there.

Weirdly enough, I thought these pages right now seem to have less details than most of the [url=http://Maze_of_Many]MoM[/url] or [url=http://Well_of_Darkness]WoD[/url] pages. Especially since the background mostly is sky.

Let's see what comes up, when it comes up. And if it's late, let it be so late that the shading has been done.

@RS, Re: Locking of Topic: Yes, I am of the opinion that this thread should remain open. The current posts continue in the idea of this thread, as a basis for discussions around tweets @THunt_Goblins makes and not everyone may be following, or wishes to follow. At a time I stopped keeping this thread up to date, as most discussions were made in the update threads and no-one came here... And most didn't want to discuss here, but in the update threads.
If the necro would be off-topic, that would off course be a different thing. Then lock this up.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Madfox11
Mutters to Themself

Post by Madfox11 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:29 am

RocketScientist wrote:Can you guys please come to a consensus on threads like these and then just let me know? :wall:
Consensus on internet? What universe are you from? ;)

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:50 am

Apparently not from this one....

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:50 am

SamWiser wrote:
RocketScientist wrote:The last time I locked an old ongoing thread for being necroed, I got private messages (one polite and one... less so) saying that the no-necroing rule should not have applied to such a thread. So apparently, I can't win. Can you guys please come to a consensus on threads like these and then just let me know? :wall:
In the future, do what you think is best. It's a little too late to lock this thread, but do whatever you feel is best next time. You'll never be able to please everybody.
How's about this: If the thread needs to have its title changed to reflect the new direction, new information, new "topic"? even, then that should strongly indicate that a new thread is more appropriate.

Indeed, I would even consider that action if a "current" thread suddenly takes a turn in a new direction (again prompting a title change).

And then, I wouldn't "lock" -- rather, just pull the new/different-topic posts out into a separate thread, causing the original thread to return to its place in the time-sorted order (that is how it works, right??) ... and leaving the original thread UNlocked allowing further discussion of the original topic to continue (...well, if it isn't too old, that is).

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:26 am

We have a dedicated thread for discussing things Thunt said on Twitter. It hadn't been updated in a while, but it's a useful thread and it should be remembered and updated. If we started a new thread every time Thunt tweeted something of interest, we'd clutter everything up with a bunch of threads with about 5 posts each. The only complaint I've heard is that it took too long to find the new post. Even though people apparently have no trouble whatsoever with doing this in other threads (like the one for the current update, Random Chatter, etc).

It shouldn't be that hard. You start from the end of the thread (in this case, it was all on a single page) and work backwards to see where you left off. (Even easier in this particular thread, as you only need to look for a quote box.) Instead, I've got multiple people complaining at me because apparently skimming over a single page is too much work. To the point that we've just about derailed this thread to have a discussion about why I shouldn't have used this thread.

As has been said: You're never going to please everyone. (You can tell that just as well by the people who complain when you *gasp* double post vs the people who complain when you edit a post and don't tell them that there's any new content.)

I stand by where I put the post. And I agree with Krulle that this is a useful thread which should be kept up.

Can we please move on now?
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:31 pm

Do you you guys know that clicking the tiny brown circle with the arrow between the thread's shield icon and the title of the new-post-having thread will show you only the new posts since you last visited the topic?

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:10 pm

RocketScientist wrote:Do you you guys know that clicking the tiny brown circle with the arrow between the thread's shield icon and the title of the new-post-having thread will show you only the new posts since you last visited the topic?
A small problem with that is that people who had left old posts unread in the thread may be taken to an old unread post when the thread's necroed, with them thinking they're going to a new unread post. It's only if they had read the last post in the thread before, or had marked the thread/forum as read, that they'd go to recently added posts. The "view first unread post" link doesn't necessarily take one to the recent posts.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:21 am

Then I guess they shouldn't leave old posts they don't plan to read marked as unread.

Kore
Speaks Quietly

Post by Kore » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:53 am

(We have a prophesy, when Minmax next meets up with Complains a whole bunch of things happen. Supposedly it will be very clear how these things happen. It is not clear how everything is fulfilled yet. Therefore there is expectation for more, and all sorts of theories on what happens next.

Forgath will die in a great battle with another dwarf. When the serpent becomes your prey, friends will become enemies and love will fuel hate.

If the serpent is Kin (and/or alt Kins) or Viper clan then they have to make some sort of appearance.

If the friends are Minmax and Forgath then Forgath has to come back to become an enemy. Mimax's only other obvious friend is Kin. Possible instead as well that goblin party friends become enemies. Even crazy stuff is possible, like Kore and Kin being best friends before and now become enemies.

Love will fuel hate suggests same main character will now have someone they love and someone they hate, and reasons will be linked.

So yes something big is still to happen, and not sure our minds will be blown because we may be able to imagine even crazier stuff than Thunt as answer to the riddle.)

Brightnotshiny
Of Few Words

Post by Brightnotshiny » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:55 am

Kore wrote:(We have a prophesy, when Minmax next meets up with Complains a whole bunch of things happen. Supposedly it will be very clear how these things happen. It is not clear how everything is fulfilled yet. Therefore there is expectation for more, and all sorts of theories on what happens next.

Forgath will die in a great battle with another dwarf. When the serpent becomes your prey, friends will become enemies and love will fuel hate.

If the serpent is Kin (and/or alt Kins) or Viper clan then they have to make some sort of appearance.

If the friends are Minmax and Forgath then Forgath has to come back to become an enemy. Mimax's only other obvious friend is Kin. Possible instead as well that goblin party friends become enemies. Even crazy stuff is possible, like Kore and Kin being best friends before and now become enemies.

Love will fuel hate suggests same main character will now have someone they love and someone they hate, and reasons will be linked.

So yes something big is still to happen, and not sure our minds will be blown because we may be able to imagine even crazier stuff than Thunt as answer to the riddle.)
Love how everything is (out of character)

Just picturing Kore popping up his head in the forums, not saying anything, then disappearing.

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:47 am

RocketScientist wrote:Do you you guys know that clicking the tiny brown circle with the arrow between the thread's shield icon and the title of the new-post-having thread will show you only the new posts since you last visited the topic?
Then, the title of this thread should NOT have changed.

Yes, I use that button all the time. But when the title looked different from what I'd read before (oh, so long ago in this case), I clicked the title, not the button ... and thus was thrust back to the beginning (and now too late to go back, as I'd "seen" the whole page of comments now).

So if the decision is to allow general threads like this to be exempt from necro rules -- then the title needs to remain the same.

And that leads me back to my previous suggestion -- if the title "needs" to change, then a new topic should be started instead.

I'm not asking for too much here, am I?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:00 am

In my opinion, yes. There are more than one thread in this forum which change titles regularly.
Here it changes to reflect what we are discussing about.
And currently it should be the tweet of 15 February.

If you use the "ego search" (searching for threads with your own posts), you will see this thread only if you've already posted in it. Then click the small "View first unread post" sign left of the title, and there you go. If the sign is not there, nothing changed.

That's why I come into the forum via the ego search, and only after I've checked those, I may go to the general threads and look for interesting new topics.

So, I find the thread should stay open, no new thread for every interesting tweet, and a changed title to reflect the tweet which is being discussed.
That way ego search gives me an update notification when something in this thread occurs. The title tells me then if there is a new tweet, or more discussion on the old tweet. (That's how I use it.) A new thread would not give me an update notification for new tweets.

But this is the Internets, everyone uses it differently, and my way of using it may conflict with your preferred way of using it.