Twitter: [now] G:AR artwork finally done!

Discuss the comic here!

Moderator: Discussion Moderators

Re: Twitter: [now] Goblins change forever

Postby Krulle » Tue May 17, 2016 12:28 am

Neither am I.
Nor do/did I play "Baldur's Gate" or any other game of that series.
I just do not know where that name came from.

But well done, anyway.
I am also a fan of such modded games.
Often difficult to do though.
User avatar
Krulle
Transcribes Goblins
 
Posts: 6690
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:33 am
Location: banned ಠ_ಠ

Re: Twitter: [now] Goblins change forever

Postby Like-A-Horse » Tue May 17, 2016 1:12 am

Wow. Sorry, that was just unexpected :D
Cespenar is a little impish bugger that resides in your private hell-crib and fixes legendary armament for you. Also, he's annoying as hell, at least in Polish translation, dunno about the original.

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-RhrMlnklw

My my, I guess he IS as annoying in English version too.
User avatar
Like-A-Horse
Mumbles Incoherently
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 2:37 am

Re: Twitter: [now] Goblins change forever

Postby RocketScientist » Fri May 20, 2016 8:39 pm

Casi Informado wrote:@Thunt_Goblins you're more than an author to us. We follow your tweets, watch your streamings. Hope for more pages. So Joe carrol :O


I'm just going to put it out there right now that if Thunt starts asking us to kill people, I am no longer a part of this team. I saw what happened to all of Joe's Followers. Nope. All the nope.
Image Image Image
User avatar
RocketScientist
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 5099
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:56 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Twitter: [now] Goblins change forever

Postby Guus » Sat May 21, 2016 1:34 am

What the f* is up with that status discussion? Is this some Poe's Law bullcrap?
You might be right, but is it productive?
User avatar
Guus
Floods your Ears
 
Posts: 2071
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:16 pm
Location: Beneath sea level

Re: Twitter: [now] Goblins change forever

Postby RocketScientist » Sat May 21, 2016 11:28 am

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. The Joe Carroll part was a reference to the TV show, The Following. That particular tweet came after Krulle asked Thunt if he was OK, since he hadn't tweeted in a couple of days. Thunt said yes, he's fine, and not to worry; he's not having another breakdown. I'm reasonably sure Krulle isn't a Poe. I don't know the person who posted the tweet about Joe Carroll, though. I guess he could be. Does that answer your question?
Image Image Image
User avatar
RocketScientist
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 5099
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:56 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Twitter: [now] Goblins change forever

Postby Guus » Sat May 21, 2016 11:40 am

No, there was something on twitter about him discussing a "mansplaining" statue, that's what I was talking about. Had nothing to do with the other comments here, sorry that I didn't make myself clear.
You might be right, but is it productive?
User avatar
Guus
Floods your Ears
 
Posts: 2071
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:16 pm
Location: Beneath sea level

Re: Twitter: [now] Goblins change forever

Postby RocketScientist » Sat May 21, 2016 11:45 am

Oh! OK. :chuckle: I was so confused. I didn't see that conversation. And I can't find it now, so Idk.
Image Image Image
User avatar
RocketScientist
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 5099
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:56 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Twitter: [now] Goblins change forever

Postby Guus » Sat May 21, 2016 1:03 pm

Haha, I see now that my phone autocorrected statue to status, no wonder you were confused, that made no sense whatsoever :lol:
You might be right, but is it productive?
User avatar
Guus
Floods your Ears
 
Posts: 2071
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:16 pm
Location: Beneath sea level

Re: Twitter: [now] Goblins change forever

Postby Krulle » Sat May 21, 2016 1:25 pm

I was bored, and after having checked my twitter feed, and once again nothing new there, I simply wanted to know whether Thunt is fine, has a flue, or just offline.

I do not know "The Following", so the tweet and your reference tell me nothing...
User avatar
Krulle
Transcribes Goblins
 
Posts: 6690
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:33 am
Location: banned ಠ_ಠ

Re: Twitter: [now] Goblins change forever

Postby Guus » Sat May 21, 2016 1:37 pm

Joe Carrol is one of those charming mass-murderer/master manipulator types. As far as Incould see his main drive was to push the protagonist over the edge. Anyway, sometimes I just browse THunt's twitter page AMD he also response to others etc, which doesn't show up at the website itself (which is a good thing I'd say)
You might be right, but is it productive?
User avatar
Guus
Floods your Ears
 
Posts: 2071
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:16 pm
Location: Beneath sea level

Re: Twitter: [now] Goblins change forever

Postby RocketScientist » Sat May 21, 2016 7:49 pm

Yeah, the IMDb description of The Following says:
A brilliant and charismatic, yet psychotic serial killer communicates with other active serial killers and activates a cult of believers following his every command.

Joe is the serial killer. And all of his followers end up dead eventually. Every single one of them. Painfully dead. Which I don't want to be.

I can't for the life of me figure out what a mansplaining statue would be. But maybe I don't want to know. Anyway, I understand why it would give you a case of the WTFs.
Image Image Image
User avatar
RocketScientist
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 5099
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:56 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Twitter: [now] Goblins change forever

Postby Glemp » Sun May 22, 2016 2:27 am

Guus wrote:No, there was something on twitter about him discussing a "mansplaining" statue, that's what I was talking about.


How to put this delicately...

The statue:


It was in a Tweet reading "Mansplaining: The Statue", presumably because it shows a man discussing something with a woman (modelled after the artists's daughter). For more info on that, see here. To summarise, Thunt broke that rule of his again and talked about how much he hates man- being stuck on things and men being the default evil guys - something I totally understand, but we've seen where talking about social/political stuff has gotten him before. I haven't seen a backlash yet, so I guess no harm done.

Personally, I think that it's not worth getting worked up about, and that unnecessarily gendering bad things ("man-splain", "man-spread", "man-flu") is a regressive attitude that directly contradicts the idea that large groups of people should not have broad, sweeping statements applied to them. I know for certain that someone saying their girlfriend was "woma-nagging" or similar would get swiftly crucified.
User avatar
Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:04 am

Re: Twitter: [now] Goblins change forever

Postby Guus » Sun May 22, 2016 5:04 am

Funny how these terms are actively used online but I never see them used in our national institute for female history and emancipation. I called Poe's Law because I was hoping that the one who posted it was making a joke, which seems half true. I never know how serious I should take Twitter activism because it is all so... uninformed.
You might be right, but is it productive?
User avatar
Guus
Floods your Ears
 
Posts: 2071
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:16 pm
Location: Beneath sea level

Re: Twitter: [now] Goblins change forever

Postby Glemp » Sun May 22, 2016 6:11 am

Guus wrote:Funny how these terms are actively used online but I never see them used in our national institute for female history and emancipation.


Try the Australian Senate.

I called Poe's Law because I was hoping that the one who posted it was making a joke, which seems half true. I never know how serious I should take Twitter activism because it is all so... uninformed.


I checked the twitterer's feed, and she appears legitimate - she's part of a dev team for a niche video game. Also, as linked, there's a new article on the issue.
User avatar
Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:04 am

Re: Twitter: [now] Goblins change forever

Postby Guus » Sun May 22, 2016 9:52 am

That little clip is exactly what I mean, there isn't any real context there. You don't know how he was speaking before she made the comment, so it might've well been in a demeaning manner. Still, you're inclined to root for the guy because out of context she does seem to throw around a term loaded with sexism. On the other hand he might be completely correct in his retort. Same goes for the statue: it goes viral, and the original creator just kind of shrugs because it wasn't his intent at all, and had nothing to do with how it was portrayed on twitter.

I'll let it go now though, because there is a different place for this discussion and I'm kind of already overstepping the boundaries as it is here.
You might be right, but is it productive?
User avatar
Guus
Floods your Ears
 
Posts: 2071
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:16 pm
Location: Beneath sea level

Re: Twitter: [now] Goblins change forever

Postby Glemp » Sun May 22, 2016 10:59 am

Guus wrote:That little clip is exactly what I mean, there isn't any real context there. You don't know how he was speaking before she made the comment, so it might've well been in a demeaning manner. Still, you're inclined to root for the guy because out of context she does seem to throw around a term loaded with sexism. On the other hand he might be completely correct in his retort. Same goes for the statue: it goes viral, and the original creator just kind of shrugs because it wasn't his intent at all, and had nothing to do with how it was portrayed on twitter.

I'll let it go now though, because there is a different place for this discussion and I'm kind of already overstepping the boundaries as it is here.


You're right, we're treading close to Controversy territory. I'll only say I more or less agree, it's possible that the other person was being condescending, but phrasing it in a gendered way is unnecessary. If you're going to say that in the first place, just go with "condescending", and speak plainly.
User avatar
Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:04 am

Re: Twitter: [now] Goblins change forever

Postby Like-A-Horse » Mon May 23, 2016 4:16 am

You guys sure have a lot of time, wasting it on political correctness. Then again, I'm dabbling in this offtopic myself, so...
The two primal reasons language exists are communication and preservation of culture. Leaving the latter aside for a moment, as well as leaving the EGO aside... there IS a common situation in which men speak to women in a patronising manner, as well as there are situations completely reversed. It's facts, not insults. If someone is doing it, there is no harm in specifically informing them of that, as it can be sometimes done sub-consciously.

Whether the person in front of you can take the rebuke with dignity is a completely different matter. The guy in the video... I don't know the context, but it sure looks like he's just grasping straws while being a douche. Which is pretty much being a politician.
User avatar
Like-A-Horse
Mumbles Incoherently
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 2:37 am

Re: Twitter: [now] Goblins change forever

Postby Guus » Mon May 23, 2016 8:51 am

I'd say it was much more a discussion about context than about political correctness, but whatever floats your boat.
You might be right, but is it productive?
User avatar
Guus
Floods your Ears
 
Posts: 2071
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:16 pm
Location: Beneath sea level

Re: Twitter: [now] Goblins change forever

Postby Like-A-Horse » Mon May 23, 2016 11:43 pm

Way I see it, the only reason you needed to discuss the context was because of political correctness :D
User avatar
Like-A-Horse
Mumbles Incoherently
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 2:37 am

Re: Twitter: [now] Goblins change forever

Postby Morgaln » Tue May 24, 2016 1:49 am

I disagree, Like-A-Horse; in this case context is very important, because it decides whether that woman's accusations of sexist behavior are unfounded or not. That's the problem with using the term "mansplaining". It doesn't just say that he was condencending and/or a douche, it specifically invokes sexist reasons for that behavior. If she hadn't done that, the video would most likely not even be on YouTube. Therefore, to form an opinion on actual facts instead of just pure sympathy for the two people involved or personal opinions on the gender debate, we'd need to know what happened before. Or in other words, context :D
Morgaln
Pipes Up Sometimes
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:57 am

Re: Twitter: [now] Goblins change forever

Postby Like-A-Horse » Tue May 24, 2016 2:06 am

Well, you are not contradicting what I'm trying to say here. My point being, why bother with that? The whole reason this clip is on YT is the shock one word instilled in the mind of the guy/girl uploading it. No one word should be treated with such anxiety. Political correctness has taken over the world, while not really being a thing.

tl;dr - If you do need to put the blame here, then yes, the context is important. My point is - why bother?
User avatar
Like-A-Horse
Mumbles Incoherently
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 2:37 am

Re: Twitter: [now] Goblins change forever

Postby Guus » Tue May 24, 2016 4:19 am

We're not blaming anyone for anything here, were just having a friendly discussion among forum members. Why bother? Because I enjoy doing that, and I assume Glemp does too.

Also, we were not discussing political correctness, because we weren't talking about if anyone was allowed to say what was being said or to prevent people from being offended. We were discussing about context and conclusions. You dragged PC into a discussion where it had no place.
Last edited by Guus on Tue May 24, 2016 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
You might be right, but is it productive?
User avatar
Guus
Floods your Ears
 
Posts: 2071
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:16 pm
Location: Beneath sea level

Re: Twitter: [now] Goblins change forever

Postby Glemp » Tue May 24, 2016 4:57 am

Guus wrote:Because I enjoy doing that, and I assume Glemp does too.


Your assumtion is correct - these days, I make an effort to come across as little of a prick as possible when arguing specifically because I don't want a war, I want discussion.




Back on topic! Thunt said something interesting when someone asked if he'd sell his soul to Not-Walter:

Spoiler: show
@QueenQeeko Not-Walter wouldn't want my soul, because he doesn't... HOW DARE YOU TRICK ME INTO ALMOST GIVING INSIDE INFO!! :P
-link


Doesn't what? Doesn't feed off of suffering the way the Guardian Demons did? He was still really gleeful about Bald Turd and the amateur demon hunter getting dragged to Hell for various nasty things inside, but that could be plain vengeance and catharsis.
User avatar
Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:04 am

Re: Twitter: [now] Goblins change forever

Postby Sessine » Tue May 24, 2016 9:12 am

Like-A-Horse wrote:Well, you are not contradicting what I'm trying to say here. My point being, why bother with that? The whole reason this clip is on YT is the shock one word instilled in the mind of the guy/girl uploading it. No one word should be treated with such anxiety. Political correctness has taken over the world, while not really being a thing.

tl;dr - If you do need to put the blame here, then yes, the context is important. My point is - why bother?

The phrase 'political correctness' as a label to discount something... okay, I'll say my piece. Only once, though, because this really does belong in controversy, not here. You see, I've noticed that the phrase is pretty much never used to reduce the value of one's own likes and dislikes; it is always attached to somebody else's response.

I know that there is a subculture, mostly in the United States, where 'political correctness' is a shorthand phrase for a wide range of thoughts and attitudes on some controversial issues. The meaning within the group is that those other people outside the group are making a big fuss about nothing, and those other people's responses aren't even worth talking about, so why is everyone talking about them? Within the group, this shorthand of course goes unchallenged. In a wider group, though, such as an internet forum with participants from all around the world, the same usage is going to make a lot of people uncomfortable.

Not only that -- because this happens a lot, you're going to run into many people who have previously had their thoughts dismissed this way, so complaining about 'political correctness' is going to be read as a provocation. If it doesn't raise the temperature of a discussion, that's only because some readers out there are biting their tongues. Even if it's part of your usual vocabulary and to you it's just this objective thing in the world that, hey, everyone knows about, right? ...it won't be taken the way you meant it.

tl;dr - When you're not trying to start a fight, it's best to avoid grumbling about political correctness.
A GAME I PLAY
[img=left]http://improbableisland.com/external/wt/button.png[/img]Improbable Island - a one-man indy text browser game. Weird, very funny, friendly, been playing it since 2008.

Kolojang: "Being bored on the Island is like being hungry in a free buffet."
User avatar
Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:14 pm

Re: Twitter: [now] Goblins change forever

Postby RocketScientist » Tue May 24, 2016 10:12 am

I'm just going to point at what Sessine said and nod. Don't make me repeat it in moderator voice. Railing about political correctness, i.e. consideration of other people's feelings, belongs in the Controversy forum.
Image Image Image
User avatar
RocketScientist
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 5099
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:56 am
Location: Massachusetts

PreviousNext

Return to Goblins Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Sessine and 1 guest