Twitter: [now] new colourist, again.

Discuss the comic here!
Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Re: Twitter: Figurines and G:AR cards

Post by Morgaln » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:09 am

Glemp wrote:
BlueAmaranth wrote:
RocketScientist wrote:Am I the only one who thinks it's bloody hilarious to hear that MRAs were calling someone else a bully or a troll?
I listened to another little piece of it earlier and they were literally saying that creators who make an effort to include women and minorities in their work are "the real sexists and racists." Like, apparently whoever decided to make Thor a woman is a big old sexist, somehow.
For context, they aren't objecting to female characters per se. They're complaining about female characters that have "Is a female character" as their defining trait. I don't read printed comics, so I don't know how Thor is doing now, but this was from an early issue. You will note an awful lot of focus on Thor's gender. By comparison, Big Ears being gay was skipped over because his friends don't consider it important, and that's how minority characters should be written - as people that happen to be gay/black/female/whatever.
I don't quite feel like it was skipped over. It was played as something unusal, something that gave a definite reaction from Minmax, Complains and Fumbles. Big Ears even looks guilty and ashamed for it. To me it gave more of a "this is awkward but we don't know what to say" vibe.
I would have preferred for Big Ears to come up and join in the hair conversation. When he does, the male goblin appears on the pillar but no one even blinks an eye at it and keeps talking about hair instead. That would have shown being gay as completely natural and not extraordinary at all.
But either way, Big Ears is not "the gay character," which I am thankful for.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:08 am

Synch wrote:
Glemp wrote:For context, they aren't objecting to female characters per se. They're complaining about female characters that have "Is a female character" as their defining trait. I don't read printed comics, so I don't know how Thor is doing now, but this was from an early issue. You will note an awful lot of focus on Thor's gender. By comparison, Big Ears being gay was skipped over because his friends don't consider it important, and that's how minority characters should be written - as people that happen to be gay/black/female/whatever.
Hang on a moment, isn't that exactly what happened with the big tits female dark elf character? Sorry, I didn't care enough about her to remember her name, but Thunt basically made a character whose defining feature was that she was a flirty female with big boobs. Yes, the joke was that she was being roleplayed by a horny male who was only interested in sexualising women, but that doesn't take away from the fact that one of Thunt's characters was a highly sexualised woman. Am I missing something here? Was there more nuance to that character? Everything about that character was yick to me. I hope they don't return for a third time.
The point was that she was a bad character made by a bad RPer, and she was meant to be laughed at for being so amazingly bad at RPing.

Morgaln wrote:I don't quite feel like it was skipped over. It was played as something unusal, something that gave a definite reaction from Minmax, Complains and Fumbles. Big Ears even looks guilty and ashamed for it. To me it gave more of a "this is awkward but we don't know what to say" vibe.
I would have preferred for Big Ears to come up and join in the hair conversation. When he does, the male goblin appears on the pillar but no one even blinks an eye at it and keeps talking about hair instead. That would have shown being gay as completely natural and not extraordinary at all.
But either way, Big Ears is not "the gay character," which I am thankful for.
Well, sure, you'd expect them to be surprised and feel awkward. But after the panel of shock, they go on talking about hair as if nothing happened. Since Thunt specifically mentioned that, I don't expect that Ears being gay will be a huge plot point.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:36 am

Thunt talking about ba with mra to make humself feel better confirms my suspicions that thunt is not actually a feminist, but rather someone whom uses his power to ban someone when that person brings up a legitamite critique. He talks to people who are not feminist to make himself feel better about doing something that is disturbing andbe justified in doing so.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:41 am

You managed to get it to load, then?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:50 am

Ah atlas no, but I have been reading the transcribed version.... uh.....elsewhere that may or may not be bww :shifty:

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:53 am

RocketScientist wrote:Yeah, that's about what I expect from MRAs.
What does MRA stand for in this case, please?
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:28 pm

GathersIngredients wrote:
RocketScientist wrote:Yeah, that's about what I expect from MRAs.
What does MRA stand for in this case, please?
Ohhh...boy.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

mustache_man
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by mustache_man » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:00 pm

Glemp wrote:
Hidden Content
Hidden Content

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:51 pm

To answer your question, Gathers, it stands for "men's rights activists."
Hidden Content

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:00 pm

Gathers, it stands for Men's Rights Advocate.
► Show Spoiler
Note: I'm trying to keep this out of Controversy territory here, because it's relevant to the subject. An in depth debate about MRAs or feminism will need to go over there, though.

edit: :lol: Ninja'ed while my PC was running slow. :ninja:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:47 pm

But we can Tell from Tarol's actions he is not as nice as he thinks he is, if nice at all. Banning someone twice because they brought up a critisism and 'apologizes' then goes behind that user's back to say he regrets apologizing speaks a lot about his character and personality.

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:20 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:But we can Tell from Tarol's actions he is not as nice as he thinks he is, if nice at all. Banning someone twice because they brought up a critisism and 'apologizes' then goes behind that user's back to say he regrets apologizing speaks a lot about his character and personality.
Raw first impulses rarely qualify for sainthood. Niceness... maturity... civilization itself, for that matter -- depends on second thoughts about consequences.

Right now, Thunt's second-thought faculties seem to be impaired.
► Show Spoiler

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:14 am

I haven't really been on my laptop much lately... and have been pretty slack even in my phone-usage (joys of a puppy and a stressful group of students!)...

But wow. Wow. So much has gone on.... and, unlike in the past, everyone has managed to remain quite civil to each other! Props for that!

I don't have the attention span for 3-hours.... but...interviews with an MRA group? That in itself.... how could that ever be a good idea?
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:39 pm

Sessine wrote:
Arch Lich Burns wrote:But we can Tell from Tarol's actions he is not as nice as he thinks he is, if nice at all. Banning someone twice because they brought up a critisism and 'apologizes' then goes behind that user's back to say he regrets apologizing speaks a lot about his character and personality.
Raw first impulses rarely qualify for sainthood. Niceness... maturity... civilization itself, for that matter -- depends on second thoughts about consequences.

I was not talking abou sainthood, nor do I think first impulses should be ignored. If these actioned happened anywhere else, even on another site, he would have been banned.

BlueAmaranth
Of Few Words

Post by BlueAmaranth » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:12 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:If these actioned happened anywhere else, even on another site, he would have been banned.
To be fair, I don't know that that's true. Like, I don't think any forum would ban him for talking about me on the podcast, because forums generally don't have rules about what you can or can't do on other sites. And although he said some very unkind things about me at the end of the conversation on here, I don't think he necessarily said anything "ban-worthy."

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:47 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:
Sessine wrote:

I was not talking abou sainthood, nor do I think first impulses should be ignored. If these actioned happened anywhere else, even on another site, he would have been banned.
Burns, you do remember that here on this site, we've only ever banned one person, yes? And that was after a LONG period of attacking other forumites, attacking and/or ignoring moderators and administrators, and basically doing as much shit-stirrring as possible. So he would not have been banned here for anything he's done, no matter who he was.

Also, you may not be aware of this, but Thunt is also the one who UNbanned her. He felt badly about the ban, and asked me via PM to double check and make sure he'd unbanned her correctly, so that she again had forum access.

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:30 pm

RocketScientist wrote:Also, you may not be aware of this, but Thunt is also the one who UNbanned her. He felt badly about the ban, and asked me via PM to double check and make sure he'd unbanned her correctly, so that she again had forum access.
That's good to know. Nobody here could have been aware that's what happened unless they had the authority to read your PMs (and actually did so). The last I remember Thunt saying on the subject was, "You can unban her if you like, I won't stop you."

This is much better. It makes a difference that he did it himself. I'm so glad you said something.
► Show Spoiler

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:43 pm

Actually, Burns could have known that. I mentioned it privately to the other moderators. So he had access to the information. That was a direct "you" at Burns, not a general "you" to the forum. I know the rest of you didn't know that. Sorry if I was unclear.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:52 pm

Yea I am aware, but even so, it's a bit....disappointing that he we t to ban her twice, even if it was heat of moment and then talk about her behind her back. I don't expect a saint but....eh.

BlueAmaranth
Of Few Words

Post by BlueAmaranth » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:59 pm

I think he only banned me on here the one time. First he blocked me on Twitter, then unblocked me on Twitter, then banned me on here and blocked me on Twitter again, then unbanned me on here (but not on Twitter).

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:16 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:Yea I am aware, but even so, it's a bit....disappointing that he we t to ban her twice, even if it was heat of moment and then talk about her behind her back. I don't expect a saint but....eh.
Where are you getting that he banned her twice? Because wherever it is, it's wrong. Please stop saying things that aren't true.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:37 pm

I maybe thinking of the twitter sorry.

Thunt
Draws Goblins

Post by Thunt » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:04 pm

I just read through this thread. Here are my thoughts...

Firstly, I trust you guys a lot. So if you're all mentioning various levels of me being in the wrong, then it's a good bet that I'm in the wrong.

I'm not an MRA or a feminist. I went through a couple years of being the poster boy for "rape is awesome" and that hurt. But that ended years ago and I need to let that stuff go. Carrying it around is making me into an asshole, it seems.

The first time BA contacted me to point out sexism in my work, I listened and followed her advice. She didn't offer any friendly words, but as she's pointed out, that's not her responsibility. Because of my over sensitivity with being called on for this subject matter, I was left with a gross feeling of being smacked on the back of the hand by BA. Let me make something very clear, here. This is my problem, created in my own mind. BA did nothing wrong. It's simply my own issue, created by past interactions with others.

The second time BA contacted me to point out more sexism in my work, I was starting from the point of "Oh, it's this person who scolds me for sexism, but is in no way friendly to me". Again... that feeling was not based in reality, but rather my own issues. I then handled her comments very poorly. I mocked her.

I later apologized here and on Twitter for mocking her. BA accepted the apology, but offered no friendly comments. Once again, it's not her responsibility to do so. Nevertheless, I had hoped that she'd apologize as well. Just... something to stop me from carrying around that gross emotional 'yuck' for the next week or month. She calmly said "no". Throughout this entire story, BA has done nothing wrong. She hasn't called me any names or told any lies, etc. Just clearly stated her opinions in public forums. My emotional issues stem 100% from myself, not BA or anyone else.

I'm friends with Alison from Honey Badger Radio. She knows that I disagree with various opinions that her and many other MRAs have. I had not intended to discuss the situation with BA, when I went live with them (the point of that chat was to discuss webcomics), but... it just started coming out. I was still really hurt and it just... fell out. I'm in no way trying to create an excuse for my actions or avoid responsibility, just offer an explanation. I should never have talked about the event in the podcast. I should never have told BA to go away. Although I unbanned her, I should never have banned BA in the first place.

I can't expect other people to cradle my emotions. If I can't handle something, that's my problem, not theirs.

In the future, I'll keep my opinions a little less public and bare in mind (especially when I'm angry or upset) that I may very well be in the wrong and I just don't see it.

Sorry everyone. Especially BA.

-Tarol

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:24 pm

I think you've done the right thing by sort of looking in the mirror a little bit and accepting that you react from a not-always-rational place about these issues, Thunt. And it takes courage to stand up in front of a crowd of people who've been critical (some kindly, some not so kindly) and admit that they're kinda right.

Now go away! :P Seriously, you have surgery tomorrow, you should go do something chilled out or spend time with Danielle, don't spend it here re-reading stuff that's going to stress you out. You'll have all the time in the world for honest introspection and self-improvement once you're back on your feet after your operation. (p.s. also don't stress about your operation, you'll be fine.)

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:50 pm

I agree with Nikohl.
Go out, make some fancy dinner for your wife and yourself.
Enjoy the evening together!

Then, sleep well.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards