February 19 page color update

Discuss the comic here!
morikahn
The Former Colorist

February 19 page color update

Post by morikahn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:18 am

http://www.goblinscomic.com/02192013/

Page's color has been updated.

Top panels are ho hum. Tried to make it look like they were slowly approaching something bright. Bottom panel took me a long time. The art for it was done separately from the page. I put a link up to that art on the last forum, but I'll do it again here. This is the full rez image of the treasure room.

http://imageshack.us/a/img405/1830/momtreasureroom.jpg

Hope you all like.

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: February 19 page color update

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:22 am

:woot :praise:

Arles
Game Master
UStream Username: sir_arles

Post by Arles » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:31 am

WOahhhhhhhhhh! :praise: :praise: :praise: :praise:

One comment, though:
Saying the attention to detail is outstanding is an understatement with your coloring, and it's really a wonderful work.
But I feel like sometimes, like in the top panels, "less is more". The lack of contrast between colors makes it... mmm... "harder" to see an understand what's happening. Not the overall scene, but what the characters are actually doing in each panel (subtle movements, changes, face expressions, etc.). In that sense, sometimes I find something around the lines of Thunt's "simple coloring" with high contrast more convenient.

Amazing work, morikahn! Keep it up!

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:56 am

Awesome stuff! I was wondering how the backgrounds in the last couple of updates would improve with shading as the setting was relatively mundane, but the lighting brings it to life. Nice work :)

John
Converses Frequently

Post by John » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:59 am

I don't understand much in the realm of illustration.

Weird, amirite?

Looks awesome :paranoia:
Games:
► Show Spoiler

WastesTime
Is Heard Often

Post by WastesTime » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:56 am

You're just too good at this. Incredible! Stunning! Awe-inspiring! I was dying to see this page done!
"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

Rorrik
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Rorrik » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:32 am

I was on when the change happened. Absolutely amazing. I can't even express how great it looked one moment to the next. Unfortunately in a week or two I'll be completely used to it and not appreciate it as much. Thought I should express my appreciation immediately.

SccrD25
Likes to Contribute

Post by SccrD25 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:35 pm

So very very pretty. Said it before and I'll say it again, you are an amazing artist and a great addition to Goblins.
At some point I should really come up with a clever signature

Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Changes_everything » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:00 pm

That colouring work is absolutely superb! Very nice!

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:09 pm

Can I ask that this be renamed to the more generic "Shading". Then, like on the temp forum we can simply add a new post with a link to the pages that have the shading added, as they are added. Consequently, one thread will be the go to source for anyone wanting to know when the shading is updated.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:53 pm

Great shading Forest. It's amazing. Also, TTW your new signature doesn't make me sad. I like it. :)
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Marnath
Is Heard Often

Post by Marnath » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:27 pm

Awesome shading. One question though, is the battle with Team Kin getting shaded someday?

Also, as an aside: I scrolled to the top too fast and my eyes transposed Arles' beard onto the Minmax avatar WastesTime has. Wiggy. :shock:

morikahn
The Former Colorist

Post by morikahn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:58 pm

@ThoughTheWell: It is my sincere hope that color updates will happen prior to the next updated page. I'd rather not create a system to reinforce my tardiness.

@ Marnath: I'm working on those when I'm between pages. I may just give them to Thunt when they are all done so they all get uploaded at once. I'm doing a an extra special job right now on the first panel that Team Kin appears, just for dramatic effect. When that is done, I'll post that image separately for you to gawk at.

@Arles: I understand your point of view. Its an opinion that has been echoed often on this forum and other sites. My only response is this: I have a particular coloring style; Thunt hired me for that style; and some panels get more attention than others. I will say my style evolves over time like any artist; Thunt's has certainly changed: just look at the first page that Minmax, Forgath, and Kin entered the maze. Maybe, in the far future, I'll have changed my style enough to something you like more.

SccrD25
Likes to Contribute

Post by SccrD25 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:16 pm

morikahn wrote: I'm doing a an extra special job right now on the first panel that Team Kin appears, just for dramatic effect. When that is done, I'll post that image separately for you to gawk at.
Yeeeees.... :D
At some point I should really come up with a clever signature

Arles
Game Master
UStream Username: sir_arles

Post by Arles » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:38 pm

morikahn wrote:@Arles: I understand your point of view. Its an opinion that has been echoed often on this forum and other sites. My only response is this: I have a particular coloring style; Thunt hired me for that style; and some panels get more attention than others. I will say my style evolves over time like any artist; Thunt's has certainly changed: just look at the first page that Minmax, Forgath, and Kin entered the maze.
I truly respect that you stick to your own style, which is (by all means) superb, outstanding and many others high-praise adjectives too.
And I'm glad that you can read my comment and take it for what it is: just an opinion.
Maybe, in the far future, I'll have changed my style enough to something you like more.
Oh, I love your style the way it is right now! A lot!
And I'm also looking forward to see how it changes with time too.

Marnath wrote:Also, as an aside: I scrolled to the top too fast and my eyes transposed Arles' beard onto the Minmax avatar WastesTime has. Wiggy. :shock:
:rofl: :rofl:

tubbytango
Remains Silent
UStream Username: tubbytango

Post by tubbytango » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:25 pm

This coloring is sick. Seriously, I'm such a fan of your work, and I want to learn to do this kind of stuff. Keep up the good work!
Pathfinder Cleric 5/Albino Servant of Pelor, Moor Stormhammer
3.5 Fighter 3/Barbarian 1 Dwarf Rabblerouser, Wagga'Bagga McTavish

Miryafa
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: Miryafa

Post by Miryafa » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:37 pm

The recent pages are quite dark and monocoloured, and I think they're a bit hard to see now. I worry that someone reading the comic for the first time (as opposed to us who have seen the pages pre-improvement) will have a hard time reading it. Of course, that could just be shock on my part due to the big changes you made. The pages all look like great splash art now :thumbsup:

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:14 am

I like seeing the before-after! I was always a fan of Thunt's colour because well, it looked inspired by newspaper comics and I liked that.

But I also love the new colouring because I think it's spectacular and brings a new element in to the world.

I will be sad when morikhan is all caught up and we no longer get to see the before pictures! Although that would definitely make life less stressful for him.. so it will be a good thing too.

(Bench sitter much? Why yes... yes I am!)
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:21 am

I don't think that Thunt is suddenly going to be finishing the comics far enough in advance that Morikhan will have time to color them before they go live. No insult intended to either of them, mind you. I think both guys would need to be cloned to get the whole thing done ahead of time twice a week.

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:54 am

I just love, Love, LOVE those lights below each treasure space -- I hadn't even noticed such in the old panel, but now how they cast a light across each set of treasures -- really COOL!

Keep up the good work.

Edit: Just got another look at the "before" pic (via different computer) - and realized you ADDED those lights to the floor. That is still just the coolest thing ever!

HerdsCats
Of Few Words
UStream Username: HerdsCats
Location: Somewhere between a tub and a sharp pointy set of teeth

Post by HerdsCats » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:29 pm

I've said it before, but this is a new forum, so I get to say it again.

HNG. Have my art babies plz :paranoia:
My name is HerdsCats. I do the impossible, improbable, and downright unpleasant on a daily basis. How may I help you today?

CosmicAverage
Remains Silent

Post by CosmicAverage » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:33 pm

I gotta say, the color adds a whole new dynamic to the whole thing. It's a character in its own right and is EXTREMELY impressive--it improves the art significantly. It's lavish and aesthetically pleasing.

brnforce
Speaks Quietly

Post by brnforce » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:08 pm

Great job!!! Looks amazing!

LordsBreed
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: LordsBreed

Post by LordsBreed » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:14 pm

Top panels seem way too dark, it seems to invalidate a lot of the work Thunt put into it in the first place. I have similar thoughts to the update prior to this one too.

This is of course my own opinion.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:58 pm

I feel exactly the opposite. I think the dark coloring brings out the feeling of being in a dungeon much better than the unshaded version. Guess it just depends how you look at it.