February 18, 2018: Roll a bluff check or seven

Discuss the comic here!
ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Re: February 18, 2018: Roll a bluff check or seven

Post by ForgetsOldName » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:04 am

Xavier78 wrote:
Glemp wrote:Remember how Kin knew about the magic that turned Dellyn into a half-tree man? I have a feeling I know how she'll explain her bottom half once the mist clears...
I really doubt Kore would care. I'm also pretty sure he knows what Yuan-Ti are and wouldn't fall for a lie so lame.

About Kin knowing who Kore is, makes sense to me. Someone like him would be almost like an Urban legend among Monsters. Think Boogeyman.
Technically though her tail is magical, not the Yuan-Ti tail she was born with. It would probably still be enough for him to want to kill her though.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:02 am

Two reasons:

* Her tail is clearly a magical construct;
* She got away with convincing Korean that her party died to giant spiders made of fire that breathe glass. Its safe to say she's got a lot of Charisma.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:09 am

Wait, who's Korean? If there's no such thing as Japan, I doubt North or South Korea is any more real.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

PrismCat21
Remains Silent

Post by PrismCat21 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:42 am

BuildsLegos wrote:Wait, who's Korean? If there's no such thing as Japan, I doubt North or South Korea is any more real.
Wait, what the heck is North/South Korea? Is that some breed of monster that migrates when the seasons change?
Is this Korean person a famous slayer of the Korea Monster?

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:14 pm

:chuckle: Let me guess. An overzealous autocorrect?

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:44 pm

You might say my autocorrect is pretty hardkore. :)

Zeus1976
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Zeus1976 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:24 pm

Kin will eventually have to move, revelling her tail to kore.
Even if he does think it's a magical construct he has seen two other people with similar magicly restored body parts which is minmax and forrgarth.

ForgetsKeys
Whispers Softly

Post by ForgetsKeys » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:59 am

My prediction: Once Kin reaches the other side, Kore will be able to see that she is a yuan-ti. However, she'll be out of range before he can attack, and then the floor will disappear. Kore, realizing that he just had a relatively friendly conversation with a monster, will realize he now has been "infected" by evil and will throw himself to his death. The souls that are trapped in him will be released and repair the Axe of Prissan, saving the realm.

Oh, and his body will land on Junior, killing the evil Klik.

So basically, everything is going to be wrapped up in 5-10 strips.

Rooks
Speaks Quietly

Post by Rooks » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:52 am

ForgetsKeys wrote:My prediction: Once Kin reaches the other side, Kore will be able to see that she is a yuan-ti. However, she'll be out of range before he can attack, and then the floor will disappear. Kore, realizing that he just had a relatively friendly conversation with a monster, will realize he now has been "infected" by evil and will throw himself to his death. The souls that are trapped in him will be released and repair the Axe of Prissan, saving the realm.

Oh, and his body will land on Junior, killing the evil Klik.

So basically, everything is going to be wrapped up in 5-10 strips.
:lol: Totally seems Thunt-esque story telling. :)

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:21 am

It needs to be said: the last panel is the most adorable lie-for-survival ever.

wilddeath
Remains Silent

Post by wilddeath » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:36 am

Oh kin... we love you sweety but please stop poking the murder machine dwarf with a stick.

Edit: Also sonova crap i just realized kore meets big ears standards of being good. He didn't immediately attack kin, instead hes trying to discern if shes evil or not before dispensing with murder dwarf mode attacks.

Saitov
Remains Silent

Post by Saitov » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:38 pm

wilddeath wrote:Oh kin... we love you sweety but please stop poking the murder machine dwarf with a stick.

Edit: Also sonova crap i just realized kore meets big ears standards of being good. He didn't immediately attack kin, instead hes trying to discern if shes evil or not before dispensing with murder dwarf mode attacks.
But he also killed an unarmed, defenseless dwarf child, all while verbally acknowledging that the kid wasn't evil. He doesn't really care about actual evil so much as he wants to kill all monsters and anyone sympathetic to them, regardless of their actual alignment.

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:43 pm

Saitov wrote:
wilddeath wrote:Oh kin... we love you sweety but please stop poking the murder machine dwarf with a stick.

But he also killed an unarmed, defenseless dwarf child, all while verbally acknowledging that the kid wasn't evil. He doesn't really care about actual evil so much as he wants to kill all monsters and anyone sympathetic to them, regardless of their actual alignment.
He is trying to eradicate not just evil, but the potential for evil. He wants to make sure no evil deeds can ever be done again. That is about as impossible as it sounds, but that's how fanatics work. The probable reason behind this is that he wants to make sure the Axe of Prissan can never be broken. Finding out that the Axe has already broken might actually throw him into an existential crisis. Even if not, it will certainly draw a strong reaction from him.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:49 pm

Kore is only giving her this much courtesy because she looks human; the only way she'll be able to get out of this safely is lead him to the exit, let him dominate the symbols, and preferably not acknowledge that she knows what'll happen at that point so that he might have reasonable doubt when they inevitably reunite.
Morgaln wrote:He wants to make sure no evil deeds can ever be done again. That is about as impossible as it sounds, but that's how fanatics work. The probable reason behind this is that he wants to make sure the Axe of Prissan can never be broken. Finding out that the Axe has already broken might actually throw him into an existential crisis. Even if not, it will certainly draw a strong reaction from him.
No matter what he learns about his accomplishments or the futility thereof, I doubt anything less than removing the demon's curse will reveal reality to him.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:39 pm

Sooooo..... is Kore what it looks like when you dump like ALL your WIS? He'd be crappy at sense motive, right? And probably could talk himself into the logical sense of his mission without ever stopping to consider the broader implications (arguably WIS).

I don't know 3e at all really, but could Kore's curse feasibly be a WIS drain?

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:04 pm

Wasn't it strongly implied that Kore has been cursed? He was the last surviving paladin who attempted to imprison the Sacred, and the demons basically turned the whole thing into a trap designed to suck the world into Hell. It's a long game, but what's a few thousand years to an immortal? The Axe was a time bomb. The Sacred was imprisoned for a while, but sooner or later the Axe was going to break. Kore, meanwhile, was let go. Cursed in some way. Probably for the amusement of the demons. But basically forced to kill, feeding the demons souls because every soul he kills gets sucked in to the Hell portal in his face. The Axe is weakened by demonic magic, and it started to break when it came into contact with Kore.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:28 pm

You could well be right. I was just curious if a WIS drain might explain Kore's single-mindedness, since it might set him up for a redemption arc if the curse ever gets removed and he has to face what he's done.

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:34 am

Kore claims he's not cursed:

http://goblinscomic.com/comic/03272006

In general I'd say a fortune teller's vision is more reliable than his opinion.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:51 am

ForgetsOldName wrote:Kore claims he's not cursed:

http://goblinscomic.com/comic/03272006

In general I'd say a fortune teller's vision is more reliable than his opinion.
We don't know if she got it from a vision, though. The "monster tavern" knew about him, it's possible Y&B found out from Hawk Hawl and it's just a popular rumour. I wouldn't be surprised if the truth is a lot more complicated, like possession or brain damage or a geas.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:03 pm

What part of "I know who you are. You're the paladin from my vision. The one who's cursed." sounds like a tavern rumor to you?

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:18 pm

BuildsLegos wrote:What part of "I know who you are. You're the paladin from my vision. The one who's cursed." sounds like a tavern rumor to you?
Nothing, because I totally forgot about those two words.

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:54 pm

BuildsLegos wrote:What part of "I know who you are. You're the paladin from my vision. The one who's cursed." sounds like a tavern rumor to you?
Although... even though Y&B saw Kore in a vision, the "cursed" part could have been her conclusion from the bits she saw, rather than direct knowledge. So I am still reserving judgement a little bit -- the truth could be more complicated.

Perhaps a curse is involved, but perhaps it's more like a willingly undertaken geas that seemed so awful to her, she interpreted it as a curse.
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:12 pm

Until I got kids, most of tavern visits ended with some pretty weird visions....
Mostly coming from rumours I heard before having been totally inebriated.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:30 pm

I think part of Kore's curse is that he doesn't realize he's cursed.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:23 am

WearsHats wrote:I think part of Kore's curse is that he doesn't realize he's cursed.
Or he believes it is a blessing or his duty.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin