29-01-2018: Who's There?

Discuss the comic here!
Davis8488
Enjoys Chitchat

Re: 29-01-2018: Who's There?

Post by Davis8488 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:14 pm

Xavier78 wrote:The way Kore has been presented, there is no way he would let her live, for any reason.
I'd have to agree. If Kore couldn't redeem a dwarven child, from a clan he considered noble, then it is unlikely he'd spare a monster.

While Dellyn saw monsters only as something to be used, either as tools, weapons, xp banks, or worse, Kore sees monsters as an evil to be eradicated.
CarvesAPumpkin, Level 3 Defender in Capture the Flag

If anything I say offends you I am sorry. It is likely late and I am tired, or I'm upset and I am not thinking straight, and though I sincerely wish I could, I can't express myself in such a way that helps you be less of a crybaby.
► Show Spoiler

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:05 pm

Except that Kore's behavior doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Also, the leash appears to be one of the many odd artifacts bumping around and it's not inconceivable to me that it has some relation to the axe,in which case he might have some odd idea about what to do with it.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:28 pm

We know from the info-dump that entered Big Ears' brain that the Ax of Prissan was created by an army of paladins and clerics whilst battling a powerful demon. It's not "inconceivable" that Kore will tip his helmet gentleman-like before attempting to kill Kin just because she's a girl-monster, that doesn't make it even remotely reasonable to suggest.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Matney X
Whispers Softly

Post by Matney X » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:44 pm

Let's not forget that the collar and leash is a metaphor for rape... I doubt Thunt would just have Kore accidentally end up with control of it.

I'd like to assume that we're done with the collar, but the fact that it's not removable (and not removed) puts us in a Chekhov's Gun situation. My only hope is that it's somehow in an act of redemption and not another reminder of what it is.

Eaglem
Remains Silent

Post by Eaglem » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:05 am

BuildsLegos wrote:The main kink in your theory (aside from the bondage theme of the item) is that Thunt has specifically said that her new gauntlet is to ensure that nobody ever grabs that damn leash again. At the very least, they'd have to forcibly remove the gauntlet first; and that's assuming the leash is inside the gauntlet instead of transformed into it as some of us have speculated before.
I did not get this memo. This does make my theory less likely. You may be right and my notion is too far fetched
Matney X wrote:Let's not forget that the collar and leash is a metaphor for rape... I doubt Thunt would just have Kore accidentally end up with control of it.

I'd like to assume that we're done with the collar, but the fact that it's not removable (and not removed) puts us in a Chekhov's Gun situation. My only hope is that it's somehow in an act of redemption and not another reminder of what it is.
The Chekhov's gun situation is exactly what I was thinking too. As much as I would love to see the redemption or gain of trust through it's removal, how often does Thunt write something so straightforward. There is usually both loss and gain when something big happens. It seems likely to me that something negative will be entwined with the positive of the leash removal.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:30 am

I wonder...what if Kore won't be able to see Kin in the fog? He doesn't recognise that she's a monster, and they have a conversation as equals until it clears.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:58 am

Given the freaky nature of Kore's IME, I figure any friendly talk on Kin's part will be deception; NOBODY has a collection of screaming heads bound to them by ghostly chains without being somebody to not trust.

Matney X
Whispers Softly

Post by Matney X » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:56 am

I simply can't imagine Kore would stop and talk to -anybody-. He's driven to eradicate all evil from existence, and the only time he's spoken, it's been about that. He doesn't ask questions, doesn't interrogate... he eliminates and searches for clues in the remains, then moves on like a force of nature.

Granted, we've only ever seen him interact with things he considers evil (including a dwarf child who "may have been tainted"). Maybe he's a rather chipper guy to goodly races.

Catmandont
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: Ajrimmerstu

Post by Catmandont » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:30 am

Matney X wrote:I simply can't imagine Kore would stop and talk to -anybody-. He's driven to eradicate all evil from existence, and the only time he's spoken, it's been about that. He doesn't ask questions, doesn't interrogate... he eliminates and searches for clues in the remains, then moves on like a force of nature.

Granted, we've only ever seen him interact with things he considers evil (including a dwarf child who "may have been tainted"). Maybe he's a rather chipper guy to goodly races.
Hmmm... I have the impression that his curse makes it impossible to NOT see evil everywhere he looks, and even 'goodly' races may have a run in with the Koreminator.

Angelic race: "And you see over here where our absolutely perfect children learn manners and how to help society as a whole. Oh, it's snack time, apparently.."

Kore: "THEIR COOKIES HAVE RAISINS?!??!!???"

Angelic race: "Raisins are an acceptable food item, and go great w...... gleerrkkkskkskk......(strangling noises..)"
"And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit." The Tick

Hey! Why are you reading this? It's bad for your eyes, and there's nothing to see here; no words of wit or sage like advice.... Nope, none of that crap... Still here? Well, I guess you can stay for a little while, but no touching. Ok, MAYBE a little bit of touching, but don't expect a kiss... Oh, and don't expect me to cuddle afterwards, either. This is purely physical in nature, and you can't REALLY want something serious after everything we've been through? Fine... 20 seconds of heavy petting, and that's IT! Annnnnnnd done...

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:28 pm

I laughed waaaaaay too hard at that.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

duskrequim
Remains Silent

Post by duskrequim » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:31 pm

Her race is inherently evil.. therefore he will normally kill on sight. However if He believes she is a companion to the Goblins or MinMax he may instead kidnap to torture in order to lure MinMax to him.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:54 pm

Once again, there are only anti-reasons to believe Kore would even have such an inclination. IF Kore knows Kin came from Brassmoon, he'll surely turn right around and slaughter all of them as soon as he's done with the goblins and their village. Kore. Doesn't. Know. Every. Bleeding. Thing. In. The. World.