Goblins, the Animated Series! (BIG NEWS) - Aug 30 blog post

Discuss the comic here!
Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: Goblins, the Animated Series! (BIG NEWS) - Aug 30 blog p

Post by Krulle » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:38 am

Yeah, I find 25% a lot.... But then that was to be expected. You don't get big pledges when only offering some digital e-cards or stickers.

And the overhead includes a small margin for reserve, I guess. Simply less available for the lawyers to get, or something like that.

I'm wishing the team good luck, because it sounds like quite an amazing cast, although I will never hear them (I do not play on watching G:animated, ever. If it gets to German TV (my kids), then it'll be synchronised anyway, so again no chance to hear the original cast either (I wouldn't recognise their voices anyway).
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

taran47
Remains Silent

Post by taran47 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:30 am

I just hope that if this doesn't get funded... which I'm not trying to be overly negative but it's looking less and less likely... that it doesn't cause Tarol to get back in the negative headspace he's been in before. I know how depression spirals can suck you in and I'd hate to see him go back there when it sounds like he's been doing really well lately.

Maybe a couple years down the road they can try to get this to work again? Give it a couple years of regular comic updates, let the fanbase build back up some more. Since he's mostly done with the work on finishing the card game that should be easier on him now. Then give it another shot down the road? I may be being overly optimistic about that but who knows.

I also do have to agree with the sentiment that this was not the time of year I would have preferred to have this project come up with holiday shopping taking up a lot of the expendable budget for a lot of people right now.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:50 am

danyoungproductions
Soooo. I really want the campaign to succeed and hope it does but, hypothetically, suppose we are living in the darkest timeline and it doesnt make it. Will there still be a way to get my hands on that sweet, sweet Well of Darkness digital module?

Tarol Hunt
You mean the... Well Of Darkest timeline? (cheeky face) Seriously though, I'm not sure what would happen if we were to not fund, so I'm hesitant to promise anything at this point. It's okay though... we'll fund. We'll totally fund.
That sounds like a contingency to me.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:33 pm

If somehow Mel Blanc was still living, we could just hire him to do all of voices and maybe the bill could be lower. :D

AXIS
Of Few Words

Post by AXIS » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:08 pm

BadgeAddict wrote:If somehow Mel Blanc was still living, we could just hire him to do all of voices and maybe the bill could be lower. :D
I read that as Matt LeBlanc for a second and was like wtf happened to Joey, I didn't hear anything.

:P

Crayling
Remains Silent

Post by Crayling » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:10 pm

Adding my 5 cents. I love goblins, but I find the timing off. I would not mind it succeeding, but I am not in at this time. I would rather have regular drama free updates.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:33 am

Klik is going to sound like how I imagine Mr. Fingers, and this makes me sad. Bradley should be squeezing his tongue between his teeth to get that "clicking" sound.
Last edited by BuildsLegos on Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Davis8488
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Davis8488 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:40 pm

AXIS wrote:
BadgeAddict wrote:If somehow Mel Blanc was still living, we could just hire him to do all of voices and maybe the bill could be lower. :D
I read that as Matt LeBlanc for a second and was like wtf happened to Joey, I didn't hear anything.

:P
Now I want to hear Matt LeBlanc reading the comic.
CarvesAPumpkin, Level 3 Defender in Capture the Flag

If anything I say offends you I am sorry. It is likely late and I am tired, or I'm upset and I am not thinking straight, and though I sincerely wish I could, I can't express myself in such a way that helps you be less of a crybaby.
► Show Spoiler

Selemas
Remains Silent

Post by Selemas » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:20 am

BadgeAddict wrote:I think, personally, that a larger gap in time between the goblins cards debacle and this should have probably happened. Granted, who am I, who are we, having only external information to base our opinions on.

That being said, I think plenty of fans for the comic exist, more than enough to help make the goblins animation happen, but maybe a concerted effort by Mr. Thunt to release comics at a 2-a-week pace, for maybe 1-2 years, on a consistent basis, would encourage fans to give generously...

I feel like too much...depressingly bad stuff has happened in the last few years. What fans need is a breathe of fresh air in the likes of discipline and routine.

And most of all. I think that when people look at the amount of money that's being asked for and see 5 minute trailer....they immediately opt out.
I agree completely. It's just that too many times over the last few years I just have no idea when or even if another update is coming out. That's just the beginning of a webcomic death spiral. If that isn't the case, and goblins is going to keep going strong for years to come, then great! Fantastic! I would love to be proven wrong. But as things have been going... my instincts are telling me to bail out of a sinking ship, not invest more.

This isn't about whether or not this project affects the update schedule, it's about how confident the update schedule makes me that Goblins will still exist in 2 years.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:25 am

Thunt has been this slow all decade, less a spiral and more an orbit. Granted, there was that one time of straight falling, but Danielle has strong thrusters.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:52 am

The other potential conflict I see is, There are so many other webcomics I would rather see become animations.
GirlGenius - Awesome
OOTS - Cool

Goblins is much lower on that list.

And given that Goblins is a webcomic, it is naturally competing with other webcomics. and other webcomics have die-hard fans of them just as much as goblins has die hard fans. and when people (like myself) are stuck in the middle between say goblins and GirlGenius, I would honestly rather see Girl Genius as an animation. And If I thought that Girl-Genius was going to become a animation in the near future, I would save my money and spend it there instead.

Just saying, you have to think about where your source of money is coming from and what is your major competition.

GirlGenius updates every Mon, Wed, Fri and has done so consistently for years. There are plenty of fans who want to see an animated version of it.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:34 am

How is that even relevant, if Girl Genius isn't trying to become an animated series at this time?

I love OotS, but I don't think I'd want to see it animated. IMO it would lose a lot in the translation.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:59 am

Order of the Stick might do well as a Youtube channel, ala Extra Credits or Cyanide & Happiness. And if we're going to daydream about ideal web-comics to animate, I can think of nothing more Disney budget-worthy than Unsounded. At any rate, it's far more reasonable to prioritize which crowdfunding project to support out of those actually available. Goblins is an option because it captured the hearts & minds of talented professionals who simply need the cash to get it started.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:59 pm

RocketScientist wrote:How is that even relevant, if Girl Genius isn't trying to become an animated series at this time?

I love OotS, but I don't think I'd want to see it animated. IMO it would lose a lot in the translation.
That's a silly thing to say... Goblins wasn't going to be animated because Thunt wanted it to be animated...it's because Matt King pushed and pushed and pushed until Thunt agreed to try.
In the same right, the authors of Girl-Genius might not care about pushing toward an animation, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a matt king equivalent out there, or perhaps a rich dedicated fan who is willing to help the push in it happening.

OO, nice call legos, I've read unsounded, very nice.

extrabigmehdi
Of Few Words

Post by extrabigmehdi » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:39 pm

There's only 7 days left, and only 54% of funding.
Unless there's a miracle, I suppose that the project won't get the necessary funding.
Honestly, I don't care that much of goblin being animated. The "static comic" is enough interesting for me.
I hope that Thunt would remain motivated, while working on his regular comic.

WorldWarIV
Mutters to Themself

Post by WorldWarIV » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:36 am

BadgeAddict wrote:I would honestly rather see Girl Genius as an animation.
I checked it out and it's an awesome read, thanks for mentioning it!

Shardstorm
Of Few Words

Post by Shardstorm » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:32 pm

BuildsLegos wrote:Order of the Stick might do well as a Youtube channel, ala Extra Credits or Cyanide & Happiness. And if we're going to daydream about ideal web-comics to animate, I can think of nothing more Disney budget-worthy than Unsounded. At any rate, it's far more reasonable to prioritize which crowdfunding project to support out of those actually available. Goblins is an option because it captured the hearts & minds of talented professionals who simply need the cash to get it started.
Hadn't heard of Unsounded, thanks! Spent all weekend reading it and it's really enjoyable!
- ANZ based gamer and reader.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:53 am

Color me impressed. The Exchange rates must have been wonderful for someone to drop 22k into the project.

And please, don't get me wrong, I do hope this is funded, it's just not always easy for me to see the light at the end of the hole.
Yeah, I said hole...that down there is lava

Silfar
Remains Silent

Post by Silfar » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:38 am

It's not that far off, but 3 days are hard to get another 25%
I still stand by my analysis - if you want to compete, you need to use fundings in advertisement (marketing) for a campaign. Period. And that in itself costs money, of course.

As for the other webcomics out there: webtoons has TONS of awesome comics that I'd love to see animated, but they have no plans so I'd rather support ONE of my favorites than none ;) The logic above is simply invalid.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:45 am

I just checked the page. As of now, they're 81% funded, with less than $48K needed. It's still a long shot, but within the realm of possibility, at least.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:09 am

That's really cool! Glad to hear there's been a last minute rush :)

Catmandont
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: Ajrimmerstu

Post by Catmandont » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:02 am

BuildsLegos wrote:Thunt has been this slow all decade, less a spiral and more an orbit. Granted, there was that one time of straight falling, but Danielle has strong thrusters.
Quite possibly my favorite quote regarding the past few years. I just want Thunt to succeed, and Danielle seems like a great partner to have when the chips are down.
"And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit." The Tick

Hey! Why are you reading this? It's bad for your eyes, and there's nothing to see here; no words of wit or sage like advice.... Nope, none of that crap... Still here? Well, I guess you can stay for a little while, but no touching. Ok, MAYBE a little bit of touching, but don't expect a kiss... Oh, and don't expect me to cuddle afterwards, either. This is purely physical in nature, and you can't REALLY want something serious after everything we've been through? Fine... 20 seconds of heavy petting, and that's IT! Annnnnnnd done...

Rex
Remains Silent

Post by Rex » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:02 pm

Well, itÔÇÖs lookikg more and more like the trailer may get funded. Does IGG automatically grant you anonymity for pledges over a certain threshold? I have been bored at work and just glancing at the donor list it seems like there are more $10k donors than rewards, and most of them donÔÇÖt list their names. Just seems like a lot of money to drop without getting some loot that would interest anyone willing to donate that large a sum.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:23 pm

It may well be that someone of the team wants it to happen and pours own money into it....
And thus without loot, as loot costs money and thus decreases available funds.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

WorldWarIV
Mutters to Themself

Post by WorldWarIV » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:30 pm

Krulle wrote:It may well be that someone of the team wants it to happen and pours own money into it....
And thus without loot, as loot costs money and thus decreases available funds.
It's what I thought too. The jump is quite impressive.