Goblins, the Animated Series! (BIG NEWS) - Aug 30 blog post

Discuss the comic here!
Sidewaysgts
Whispers Softly

Re: Goblins, the Animated Series! (BIG NEWS) - Aug 30 blog p

Post by Sidewaysgts » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:19 am

Please let H. Jon Benjamin voice Minmax..

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:42 am

Morgaln wrote:
GathersIngredients wrote:Just because it's animated, doesn't necessarily mean it's a kid's show. I'd hate for him having to twist his story to placate the "think about the kids" people. :roll:

And it has to be (at least partially) animated, because there are no real life goblin (actor)s. Or Yuan-Ti. Or owl-bears. Or most of the other residents of the goblins universe...
Strangely enough, there aren't any real-life dragons, or orcs, or ents, and yet (most of) the Lord of the Rings movies weren't animated... ;)

But I agree, "animated" does not equal "made for kids." It's something that many people still haven't learned, even though shows like The Simpsons and South Park have been a thing for more than twenty years.
Well, made for kids doesn't mean happy-happy saccharine either. Justice League had villains getting lobotomised, and the finale had a villain getting very very explicitly killed off, with screaming and everything. Her body twitches later on to make it ambiguous, and it's stated in a comic book that she didn't actually die, but...come on. Meanwhile Gargoyles showed a character being shot, and it's treated with extreme seriousness.

And then, today, there's Adventure Time...

Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:21 am

Man, now I'm just imagining a Goblins Animated series on like... Netflix or something, that could be super awesome.

cj95
Remains Silent

Post by cj95 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:48 am

Draco Ex Machina wrote:Man, now I'm just imagining a Goblins Animated series on like... Netflix or something, that could be super awesome.

Just imagine if all those projects...the card game...the tv show....went away and we got regular comic updates. THAT would be super awesome.

(not excited by this announcement at all)

Hjerne
Of Few Words

Post by Hjerne » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:31 am

And now I'm confused. From the announcement it sounded like it was a done deal. Like Thunt had gotten a deal to create Goblins as an animated series. But now he has tweeted a brief animation with an announcement about a kickstarter at the end saying it depends on we fans. So it sounds more like somebody said "Hey if you pay me I can animate this for you." and the project exists only as something he can buy.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:00 am

It's the way things have gone for several shows recently. Matt King (a prominent voice actor who has been central to the project) crowdfunded his show The World of Steam. He raised enough to get the series off the ground, and that was enough to get it picked up by the Jim Henson company.

He's not just working from nothing here. He's been in serious talks with well-connected industry professionals for a long time now. They've got an all-star voice cast ready to go. A crowdfunding campaign will get them what they need to get things rolling and prove that there's viewer interest. It's the same process Joel Hodgson used to launch the new generation of MST3K.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:23 am

That's probably why he's had to put so much effort into getting G:AR going.

The first guy to do a Goblins kickstarter up and split, so if G:AR never finished, these guys would never be able to get their show off the ground.

Teiresias
Remains Silent

Post by Teiresias » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:22 pm

Anyone following the events of G:AR knows how much grief Tarol went through to try and fulfill his promises. He made some mistakes trusting the wrong person and taking wrong turns in the design process, but he was certainly honest and transparent throughout the process. I would certainly trust him with a second kickstarter campaign, I think most people would.

When you pay for a kickstarter and it falls through because the founder was a scumbag, that really sucks. When you fund a kickstarter and it falls apart due to "acts of God," well that just comes with the territory. Tarol did all he could to deliver, and continues to struggle to this day over it. We all know how kickstarter works, there is no guarantee the product will be successful enough to ship.

Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:16 am

I gotta say, I'm digging the trailer.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:18 am

I... kinda like the trailer. I... really don't know what to think of the voices. They are SO different from what I imagined.

I wish Tarol and his team all the best in realizing this project. :thumbsup:
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:19 am

GathersIngredients wrote:I... kinda like the trailer. I... really don't know what to think of the voices. They are SO different from what I imagined.

I wish Tarol and his team all the best in realizing this project. :thumbsup:
Same, I didn't expect them to sound so...normal? American? Like I know they're all adults by goblin standards, but I expected them to sound...smaller somehow?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:32 am

http://goblinscomic.com/blog/goblins-an ... gh-trailer

Just watched it. And a torch falling on the ground causing such a large scaled fire?
A sword causing the Erath to split?

Seems like far too much show to advance any story.

Which is a huge turn-off for me, and I just lost most of the remaining anticipation I had.

(I do like how they blended from story rough sketch over to "you can support us to make it happen". - But this will not improve the animated story told, so this doesn't open my wallet, it just got a tiny bit of attention from me.)

Regarding the voices: I agree. More childish voices would carry better seeing the physical size of the Goblins.
The smaller a living being, the lighter the voice, usually.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:39 am

This isn't the story. Thunt said goblins shouldn't even have a torch because they naturally have low light vision. It was just there because it looked cool. This is just the non-canon intro video.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:57 am

Still puts me off.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:21 am

Krulle wrote:Still puts me off.
I mean, this is a trailer. It's job is to show off all the cool stuff the show could include within a viewer's attention span, and story moments like the end of the MoM arc can't really fit in there because of all the backstory. Maybe, yes, some character moments from Kin or Complains/Thac0's relationship could have helped to show the story, it's possible the voice actors just haven't got a good enough grip on the characters to carry the right emotions yet.

mustache_man
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by mustache_man » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:48 am

Glemp wrote:
Krulle wrote:Still puts me off.
I mean, this is a trailer. It's job is to show off all the cool stuff the show could include within a viewer's attention span, and story moments like the end of the MoM arc can't really fit in there because of all the backstory. Maybe, yes, some character moments from Kin or Complains/Thac0's relationship could have helped to show the story, it's possible the voice actors just haven't got a good enough grip on the characters to carry the right emotions yet.
Generally speaking, trailers are meant to get prospective viewers in the right frame of mind to watch the show. Good trailers do it by showing you a bit of what you might expect to see. If the response to criticism of how torches "should not cause huge explosions when falling on rocky ground" is goblins wouldn't carry torches anyway, all it does is make me wonder why on earth it was put there to begin with. I wasn't super excited about this before the trailer. After watching, I have to agree with Krulle. All it did was put me off (more off anyway).

DragonTurtle
Keeps Eli Balanced
UStream Username: HyperHalfling

Post by DragonTurtle » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:39 am

Actually, it's not a trailer; it's an animatic. The difference is that while a trailer is indeed intended to give you a taste the show itself, an animatic is only designed to give a sketch version of motion so there's something to build fleshed-out animation on, and attach sound cues and voice lines to. It's a preliminary step on the path to a fully animated show. Since we don't have funding for the show, yet, the animatic was the most cost-effective way to demonstrate that there's a project in the works.
The clip in the animatic is not from an episode script. It was written to be a self-contained entity. The torch wasn't in the script, but added by the animation house for effect. If we get the funding to sign with them for a pilot, or even better, a whole series, then we'd have the power to ask them to go in and change things that need changing. Because all we commissioned was the animatic, that wasn't an option. Tarol's line was added afterwards to explain something we couldn't change.
When the voice actors recorded their lines, they hadn't met their characters yet, and they hadn't read the comic. If the project goes ahead, we'll be able to make sure they have time to do that.
This entire effort is a work in progress. Nothing is finished yet, because it has barely started. We're hoping we get the opportunity to see it to completion.
I'm sorry you don't like it. We thought the animatic was a good first step. I agree that it would have been nice to have fully finished animation to show you, but that stuff is seriously expensive, and wasn't possible to fund out of our own pockets. I hope the show ends up being something you can watch someday. :)

-Danielle, Production Coordinator for Goblins Animated
I am always me, but go by many names, depending where you find me.
@HyperHalfling and @DragonTurtle on Twitter; DragonTurtle here; the_kender, DragonTurtle, or the Hyper Halfling on Twitch; Theodora van Zeeland in the Society for Creative Anachronism; Danielle Stephens in real life, and when you hear me on a live stream. (I don't do Facebook any more.)

Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:53 pm

I think it's great. :D It really feels like it captures the essence of Goblins, to me.

I think people are just grumpy because they see it as yet another distraction from producing comics.

And Goblins do use torches for reading and detail work and such, so maybe they had a good reason for the torch.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:14 pm

I donÔÇÿt like the story of the animatic. Feels too much like ÔÇ×boom, explosion, headbutt, swords crossingÔÇ£ than ÔÇ×hey, this is a story for meÔÇ£. I know this is an attention catcher, and under severe budgetary (thus length) restriction. But it has NO story. It started so nicely with Names and MM meeting, and I wasexpecting a bridge...

The style of the animatic was obviously just a ÔÇ×very rough scetch to get a first feelÔÇ£, and I can live well with that.

But I do not need another Sunday Morning Breakfast Cartoon i donÔÇÿt watch.... And right now it just gives me the impression of another SMBC....
And since I watch none of them, and even did not watch HeÔÇöMan and similar back then (because I found them actionÔÇöoverloaded), this just strengthened me in my belief to stick to comics, where action scenes may be pages long, but nclude no text so get skipped by me rather fast.

But the, I am not your target demographics anyway. Which this animatronic proved.

But I do wish you (both, and all others involved) every succes with this project!

(yes, i know the SMBComics...)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:11 pm

► Show Spoiler

Chessrook44
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Chessrook44 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:49 am

Just saw the Kickstarter and... am indeed quite impressed. Didn't realize there was quite that many high-profile and well-known voice actors in this. The only thing I wonder is who exactly Steve Blum is voicing. He said he was going to voice the "Main Villain" but this early... who counts as that? Kore? Goblinslayer? Someone I've forgotten?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:53 am

From the rewards I read, that the animated series will be about book 1 of the comic.

In book 1 we have neither the Goblinsslayer, nor Saral Kaine. Kore does not play a role regarding the Goblins (he meets Hawl, the trader).
I presume, for the story telling of the animated series, they will leave the Kore parts for a second series, and instead pull something from a later book into the first series.
We'll have to see, but still, this is not really pulling me in.
Even though I have to say that the list of names is impressive and recognisable, even for me.

Edit: some of the tweets from the twitter:
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:The second the Kickstarter launches, I'm allowed to openly talk about who's voicing who.
https://twitter.com/Thunt_Goblins/status/922382599250518016 wrote:
https://twitter.com/malin_ryden/status/922378418137849856 wrote:I want to know who @matthewmercer will play :-D
Matt Mercer (Mcree from Overwatch, among other things) is voicing Big Ears. :)

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:15 am

I just saw the KS video, and...as a fan I'm excited, but I think it focused too much on in-jokes (the voice actors suddenly spouting random lines that non-fans won't get, for example), and the actors themselves came off as forced sometimes. Maybe it's because they're not used to being on camera, but they didn't bring across how enthusiastic they were for the project. IDK, I'm one guy, but I think it came across a...bit...cringy.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:37 am

How would somebody know if they wanted to give money toward turning Goblins into an animated series if they haven't read the comic (and thus would get any in-jokes)? I mean, I would definitely read a comic before I decided to give it money... well, for anything.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:23 pm

RocketScientist wrote:How would somebody know if they wanted to give money toward turning Goblins into an animated series if they haven't read the comic (and thus would get any in-jokes)? I mean, I would definitely read a comic before I decided to give it money... well, for anything.
Kickstarter isn't just for existing fans, there are people who trawl the site looking for neat projects. Not to mention that the audience for an animated show and a webcomic don't necessarily overlap - you had might as well ask "How would someone know if they wanted to watch the Justice League/Batman/Avengers/X-Men/Spider-Man/Fantastic 4 animated shows if they haven't read the comics?". If you want people to give money to a cause, ideally you'd want something that appeals to new fans and old.