July 31st - I'm not a goblin

Discuss the comic here!
Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Re: July 31st - I'm not a goblin

Post by Changes_everything » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:58 am

Retrieving the LOL Pearl cannot have been a critical fumble - he managed to retrieve it after all, just as intended.

I think the crit fumble was one page later, when Complains failed to get it off his fingers.

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:08 am

At the time I assumed the critical failure was a wisdom/perception/whatever check concerning why one should NOT mess with the pearl.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

LooksClosely
Whispers Softly

Post by LooksClosely » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:33 am

Tofu wrote:(Although, imagine if the imprints grants adventuring levels to whomesoever is imprinted ... coolness eh! Instant level Up capacity!)
I have to admit, that seems really narratively plausible to me. Why else all the set up? Sorry if I'm repeating previous discussion, but if Fumbles does achieve, say level 1 in all classes, with some house-ruling to keep things reasonable, is that a powerful character? Or just someone who can feather-fall in a pinch, or otherwise help them out of sticky situations?

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often

Post by ForgetsOldName » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:52 pm

LooksClosely wrote:
Tofu wrote:(Although, imagine if the imprints grants adventuring levels to whomesoever is imprinted ... coolness eh! Instant level Up capacity!)
I have to admit, that seems really narratively plausible to me. Why else all the set up? Sorry if I'm repeating previous discussion, but if Fumbles does achieve, say level 1 in all classes, with some house-ruling to keep things reasonable, is that a powerful character? Or just someone who can feather-fall in a pinch, or otherwise help them out of sticky situations?
Useful is not the same as powerful. Imagine how useful a level one priest and a level one paladin would be right now. I don't even know what the other nine classes are but I bet a least some of them can heal.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Derkins
Mutters to Themself

Post by Derkins » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:28 pm

ForgetsOldName wrote:At the time I assumed the critical failure was a wisdom/perception/whatever check concerning why one should NOT mess with the pearl.
I'm guessing the fumble was the save vs the LOL pearl's area of effect. Although I admit I don't get the whole crit fail window thing. What did am I missing?

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often

Post by ForgetsOldName » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:55 am

Derkins wrote:
ForgetsOldName wrote:At the time I assumed the critical failure was a wisdom/perception/whatever check concerning why one should NOT mess with the pearl.
I'm guessing the fumble was the save vs the LOL pearl's area of effect. Although I admit I don't get the whole crit fail window thing. What did am I missing?
"The Crit Window" is the name of the staff that was identified by the wall and had a little "0" hovering above it. TBH, we don't really know how to read it, whether it's always 0 or 20, what rolls it does/does not apply to, whether the roll in question has already happened, etc.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:24 pm

The crit window from the wall of explanation:
http://goblinscomic.com/comic/01092017-2 wrote:Information: This staff predicts whether the next crit in the party will be a success or failure. A 1 means a critical fumble while a 20 means it will be a critical success.
Note it shows a "1" in the second to last panel...

As to how this would work as a game mechanic?
I'd throw once the party grabs the Crit Window to decide whether it'll show "1" or "20".
Once someone pof the party threw a crit (1 or 20), I'd exchange that throw for the Crit Window, and do a new throw for the Crit Window.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

wordelo
Mutters to Themself

Post by wordelo » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:54 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC7TDe4 ... e=youtu.be

The screaming reminded me of this bit from ren and stimpy