12 June 2017 - RAAAAAAH!

Discuss the comic here!
Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

12 June 2017 - RAAAAAAH!

Post by Glemp » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:39 pm

http://www.goblinscomic.org/06122017-2

We see MM's IME developing, as well as potential battle-brotherhood. Wonder if MM will try repeating the, ahem, "zombie spinner" with Complains. Doubt it, but it would be fun to watch.

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Re: 12 June 2017 - RAAAAAAH!

Post by Tofu » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:12 pm

Those glowing eye circles surely mean something. The first thought was that they are monocles for each eye, and then I decided that was silly.

nice series of action moves with Complains leaping around athletically,. the new workings of his feet must be a nightmare to work out each time a picture is being drawn ... The amount of continuing complexification with each character is surely getting to be a nightmare. Imagine what happens when you get past level 5, you would be a complete work of chaos incarnate.

Did anyone figure out what level of character is Kore?

edit : link to page is here : http://www.goblinscomic.org/comics/20170612.jpg

Comment : Something not quite right with the navigation to various pages. I dont want to be a whinger and cause a bottomless pit of fixing take place, but I cannot seem to get the link shown here, to Kore revealing what is under his mask, to work

TheSedated
Of Few Words

Post by TheSedated » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:52 pm

Nice page. Complains is showing some really cool tricks there. Every time I see things like that, I wonder about the Goblins agility score. Also I think MM and Complains will be a great team when they stop fighting and bitching with each other.

And last but not least... I love Oblivious. It was a great weapon when MM found it, probably crafted by some very skilled smith and enchanted by a very powerful sorcerer. And then a total retard brought it to perfection. And probably is the only person who is able to use such a weapon the way it's used best. Such a powerful item. Did Thunt mention anything if it counts as a surprise attack/attack of opportunity every time MM grabs it out of nowhere?

BookWyrm17
Mutters to Themself

Post by BookWyrm17 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:14 pm

Tofu wrote:Those glowing eye circles surely mean something. The first thought was that they are monocles for each eye, and then I decided that was silly.
The... the glowing rage magic? I mean, since we can see Complain's and his IME, the Rage is more than just anger, it's a type of magic.
Or maybe I'm not understanding what you mean by this...
Tofu wrote: nice series of action moves with Complains leaping around athletically,. the new workings of his feet must be a nightmare to work out each time a picture is being drawn ...
TheSedated wrote:Nice page. Complains is showing some really cool tricks there. Every time I see things like that, I wonder about the Goblins agility score. Also I think MM and Complains will be a great team when they stop fighting and *****ing with each other.
I think Complains is using the Tumbleblade or whatever it's called to get more boosts, cause it got identified as getting a +1 every time he tumbled during combat, up to a +12!
Tofu wrote: And last but not least... I love Oblivious. It was a great weapon when MM found it, probably crafted by some very skilled smith and enchanted by a very powerful sorcerer. And then a total retard brought it to perfection. And probably is the only person who is able to use such a weapon the way it's used best. Such a powerful item. Did Thunt mention anything if it counts as a surprise attack/attack of opportunity every time MM grabs it out of nowhere?
Oh goodness yes, it's perfect. I've been trying to draw a cool picture with him holding it, but nothing seems to quite capture how awesome it is :)
And it'd had better count as some sort of a sneak attack, I don't think anyone else would have thought of it or used it so well!

Also, does anyone else find it a bit difficult to tell what is going on in those two panels where MinMax did... something?
The point is to have fun.

AXIS
Of Few Words

Post by AXIS » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:36 pm

Good to see Names being smart enough to Tumble about as much as possible, that should be a pretty nice little advantage as long as he keeps flipping about like that. +12 is not too shabby at all.

I can't work out how Minmax got his arm free in Panel 3, the demon had him quite firmly by the arm in Panel 2, and then in Panel 3 Minmax has his arm free to grab Oblivious and slash him accross the face.

Did the demon drop minmax in surprise from the portal? Is that what this is trying to convey?

Shardstorm
Of Few Words

Post by Shardstorm » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:43 pm

Pretty sure Minmax lets go of Oblivious, and the demon lets go of that arm to try to grab it (hand swiping down motion) as it is pulled back into the portal (Oblivious moving right into the portal motion), both of these in panel 3. This also places the head of the demon to the right of Minmax's body (facing the demon). We also see Minmax's hand moving either in front of his face or in front of his body (it's hand and glove you can see in the left of the panel). In panel 4 Minmax has grabbed Oblivious from roughly in front of his body or slightly to the left of himself, using the fact he's not actually moving the sword to move his hand unnaturally quick, then swiped left to right across the demons face, which is where we get Minmax's IME for the "criick" and the motion lines for the swipe.

Basically the demon tries to grab the sword, he pulls his hand across to his left as soon as it's let go, and grabs Obvlivious to pull it away from the Demon and slash it at the same time. It's really well drawn action in typical Thunt fashion, but it did take me a bit to get my head around.
- ANZ based gamer and reader.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:48 pm

Permalink: http://www.goblinscomic.org/06122017/

Action page. Not much in there for me to discuss. Those are the pages I usually skip over in a comic book, as they show action, but do not advance the story or characters.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:46 am

Uhm... if I'm correct in what I presume is going on in panel 2 & 3 - namely MM grabs Oblivious out of his right hand with his left hand, then the hand coming through the portal has the wrong glove on. (right = square hole, left= missing thumb on the glove). I cannot fathom how he could take the sword out of his right hand with his right hand ... no WAIT.

He does grab the sword with his right hand out of his right hand. By reaching into the past, which causes the demon to let go of his right arm in an attempt to snatch the sword, and only THEN he can actually grab it. That's genius!
Then he bashes the demon's face - well at least one of them - with Oblivious which causes the demon to let go of MM with the other hand, too.

And I wonder if the IME "things" on CoN back are the first stadium of wings or antennae or ... ?
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

AXIS
Of Few Words

Post by AXIS » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:49 am

Shardstorm wrote:Pretty sure Minmax lets go of Oblivious, and the demon lets go of that arm to try to grab it (hand swiping down motion) as it is pulled back into the portal (Oblivious moving right into the portal motion), both of these in panel 3. This also places the head of the demon to the right of Minmax's body (facing the demon). We also see Minmax's hand moving either in front of his face or in front of his body (it's hand and glove you can see in the left of the panel). In panel 4 Minmax has grabbed Oblivious from roughly in front of his body or slightly to the left of himself, using the fact he's not actually moving the sword to move his hand unnaturally quick, then swiped left to right across the demons face, which is where we get Minmax's IME for the "criick" and the motion lines for the swipe.

Basically the demon tries to grab the sword, he pulls his hand across to his left as soon as it's let go, and grabs Obvlivious to pull it away from the Demon and slash it at the same time. It's really well drawn action in typical Thunt fashion, but it did take me a bit to get my head around.
Okay that makes sense, I couldn't work out what the movement line for the demons arm was doing, but if it was trying to grab Oblivious (guess it likes shinies) I can see it now.

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:32 am

Sorry but this action sequence makes no sense to me. Even if we assume that the demon let go of Minmax' arm to try and grab the sword, Minmax would still have to reach over to the left, grab the sword and pull through to the right to strike the demon. That is not happening at the same time the demon is grabbing for the sword, it has to happen afterwards because the demon needs to let go before Minmax can reach over. But Minmax is suspended in mid-air, held up by the demon about three feet above the floor. The moment it lets go, Minmax should drop down sideways, only held up by his left arm. He shouldn't be in any position to perform a horizontal strike across its face, even if he lands on his feet.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:43 am

1. Minmax lets go of Oblivious with his right hand, off to the right of the demon.

2. The demon sees the sword disappearing into a hole. It lets go of Minmax's right arm to grab for the sword.

3. Minmax reaches his right arm across to the left side of his body, away from where the demon is looking, draws Oblivious, uses his incredible strength to hold himself up by his left arm, and slashes from left to right, decapitating the demon.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:02 am

Oh, I do have something to contribute:
a link to a tweet with a sketch of panel 3
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

AXIS
Of Few Words

Post by AXIS » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:36 am

Damned if I can work out what wall in the room names is bouncing off.

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:32 am

WearsHats wrote:1. Minmax lets go of Oblivious with his right hand, off to the right of the demon.

2. The demon sees the sword disappearing into a hole. It lets go of Minmax's right arm to grab for the sword.

3. Minmax reaches his right arm across to the left side of his body, away from where the demon is looking, draws Oblivious, uses his incredible strength to hold himself up by his left arm, and slashes from left to right, decapitating the demon.
Thing is, he doesn't hold himself up by his left arm. He needs to hold himself up by his shoulder muscles, but while his arm is stretched out to the side. That's an incredibly awkward position to hold his whole body weight by, and is likely to pull his arm out of his socket. But let's assume he can do it; it is possible, as you said it is mostly a feat of strength. This will pretty much require all of his concentration to keep the muscles in his shoulder clenched; if he slips for even an instant, he drops immediately. Even if he can spare the attention to move his arm and pull the sword, the blow will lack any force behind it. All he can do is move his arm; he cannot turn his torso at all, as that would require him to use the muscles in his left shoulder (which are currently clenched tight). That means he can reach about as far as his left shoulder to grab Oblivious; not nearly enough room to get real momentum on the sword before it connects to the demon, especially on the sole power of his right arm (remember, he can't move his torso to increase the force of the swing). A shattering blow as in panel four is out of the question in that situation.

You can test this yourself; put your hand against a wall, with your arm stretched out as far as you can. Then tense your shoulder muscles as tight as you can to keep your shoulder in place. You can now test how far you can reach with your other hand and how much force you can apply with it; get a broom or something and try to hit non-breakable stuff if you want to put the force and accuracy you can manage to the test. Remember that you are never allowed to relax your shoulder even slightly.

The smart move would have been for Minmax to use his mass by swinging back his legs for a kick against the demon's thigh bone. With how brittle the creature seems to be, that would have crippled it and likely freed Minmax at the same time.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:53 am

You know, while you're talking about the action scene in 3 & 4 I'm more curious about MM's arms in 1. Even with the armour adding bulk to his left arm in comparison, his right arm looks really puny. Compare to panel 4 here where he's in a very similar pose and both his arms are pretty damn thick and the armour doesn't add much.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:57 am

Re Morgaln:
I don't think MM is holding himself up. I think the demon is holding him up. IMHO MM is just "dangling" from the demon's hold (on MM's left shoulder, as seen in panel 2) which is still intact (but off camera) in panel 3, it only gets released in panel 4.
So MM doesn't have to keep the rest of his body stable or anything, except perform the strike with the sword in a somewhat co-ordinated fashion. Who cares if his legs swing this way or that while he's doing that?

Also, if you remember what Oblivious did to "Not-Walter" - who is probably going to be a bit more tough than mere bones - and how Fumbles smashes the other flea-demon in the previous page with a staff we don't even know about whether it is magical seemingly effortless, I'm guessing it wasn't a particularly good hit from MM, anyways, or the flea demon here and now would have most likely lost more than just a set of teeth.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:12 am

That reminds me, is it just Not-Walter that can only be harmed by Holy weapons? These guys don't (though they are pretty weak), and the demon in the last Tempts Fate comic got his head blown up from Tempts jumping on him (unless his armour was Holy?).

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:54 am

It's possible that Minmax is bracing his position by putting his feet against the demon's body. We can't really see what's happening that far down.

In any case, it's all done according to D&D physics. If you have a hand free, you can attack.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

mustache_man
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by mustache_man » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:56 am

GathersIngredients wrote:Re Morgaln:
I don't think MM is holding himself up. I think the demon is holding him up. IMHO MM is just "dangling" from the demon's hold (on MM's left shoulder, as seen in panel 2) which is still intact (but off camera) in panel 3, it only gets released in panel 4.
So MM doesn't have to keep the rest of his body stable or anything, except perform the strike with the sword in a somewhat co-ordinated fashion. Who cares if his legs swing this way or that while he's doing that?
The sword slash seems to describe an horizontal path. To do that he needs to be standing (or be held) vertically. If the demon is holding him by one arm, he should drop to one side and the slash should be made diagonally. He could still make it horizontal, but the blow would lose a lot of strength and speed and no effective warrior would sacrifice both strength and speed at the same time in a fight.
Also, I am having trouble positioning Complains. Before hell broke loose he was standing near the blue square the demons broke through. There was no other wall near them, but there's no blue wall anywhere anymore and the wall seems to disappear after complains bounces off it.

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by redfeather » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 am

I'm having a hard time getting a grasp of what the Flea Demon is actually shaped like, but this page in particular makes me think that its body is 4-dimensional or something, that it looks like it's only partially there because only parts of it intersect with material reality, and it can shift which parts they are to make those extra parts of itself appear. If my theory is right, it's a really cool concept for what an arch-demon should look like - not just a random red-skinned monster with fangs, but a form of life utterly beyond the realm of normality.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:30 am

I want a physical copy of the last panel.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:09 pm

redfeather wrote:I'm having a hard time getting a grasp of what the Flea Demon is actually shaped like, but this page in particular makes me think that its body is 4-dimensional or something, that it looks like it's only partially there because only parts of it intersect with material reality, and it can shift which parts they are to make those extra parts of itself appear. If my theory is right, it's a really cool concept for what an arch-demon should look like - not just a random red-skinned monster with fangs, but a form of life utterly beyond the realm of normality.
You mean, the reason it seems to be made up of bones is the connective tissue is shifted somewhere else? Neat idea, but D&D usually goes for style over science in its monster design to begin with so don't be disappointed if Thunt just thought it looked cool.

0z79
Whispers Softly

Post by 0z79 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:17 pm

You know... I'm just hoping they can calm down from berzerker-rage after the bad guys are gone, otherwise they're going to be right at each other's throats.

Or not.. I dunno, I haven't really been into AD&D since 2nd Ed.

kesgarion
Remains Silent

Post by kesgarion » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:53 pm

Man, when I look at that last page, it really dawned on me how much a lot of the main characters' bodies have changed during the story. MM, Forgath, and Dies all have prosthetic body parts from various sources, Complains is a demon, Fumbles is mutilated, etc.

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Xavier78 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:23 pm

AXIS wrote:Damned if I can work out what wall in the room names is bouncing off.
Good question, because they weren't on that side of the, very large, room. The lack of backgrounds makes it confusing to me.