May 16th, 2017 - I gotcha.

Discuss the comic here!
AXIS
Of Few Words

May 16th, 2017 - I gotcha.

Post by AXIS » Tue May 16, 2017 6:36 pm

Fumbles coming into his own!!

So the Fawome power up we got going on here.

Those more familiar with D&D like to fill me on which of the classes Fumbles seems to be drawing on here?

EDIT: Those finger/people/arms the main demon seems to have are creepy AF btw. Thunt never seems to dissapoint when it comes to creepy finger-based monsters

EDIT:

Shading updated (copy from Glemp)

Full colour & shading update!
Last edited by AXIS on Wed May 24, 2017 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yrutan
Remains Silent

Re: May 16th, 2017 - I gotcha.

Post by Yrutan » Tue May 16, 2017 7:00 pm

Maybe warlock ? I don't remember what are all the classes he took are but it could simply be a cantrip used for dramatic purpose.

Shardstorm
Of Few Words

Post by Shardstorm » Tue May 16, 2017 10:21 pm

It's related to the cloak he's wearing I'm assuming, it's called a Shadowflame Cloak (info from the twitter link below).

https://twitter.com/Thunt_Goblins/statu ... 2266153985

Anyone more familiar with the game he's making able to understand the stats on that? It doesn't tell me much about the item sadly.
- ANZ based gamer and reader.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue May 16, 2017 10:54 pm

I don't know much about the game, but I would very much assume it increases both attack and defence by 5, just looking at the symbol. Mind you, in that game there are only a handful stats, iirc. (intelligence being another one of them).
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

AXIS
Of Few Words

Post by AXIS » Tue May 16, 2017 11:02 pm

Good catch Shardstorm,

I'd been wondering where that cloak had come from.

Yeah, I don't know enough about G:AR either, but I agree with GathersIngredients it looks like some kind of Attack and Defense boost (hopefully someone will know more) which will come in damn handy for Fumbles I should think.

Wish we knew more about the Staff though.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Wed May 17, 2017 12:41 am

The staff was identified, wasn't it? It's the one attached to the potion of levitation. The wall didn't say anything about the staff itself. Just the potion. So I'd guess it's a non-magical staff whose primary purpose is to hold the potion. But I could be wrong.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

AXIS
Of Few Words

Post by AXIS » Wed May 17, 2017 1:23 am

Looks to me like he shoved it in unattached to the staff

http://www.goblinscomic.org/04032017-2/

I know he was concerned about his friends and concentrating on finding something to heal them, but seems like a missed opportunity for him to identify something he's been carrying around for awhile. To be fair though all their possessions seem to be strewn about the room at this point. Although I would have thought when Minmax rushed over with all the things they would have identified them instead of getting distracted with the storage ring. (assuming they weren't going to actually get on with the task of healing everyone)

Probably a plot centric ability that we will find out later that would be too much info to have now.

Or possibly just a rando staff that means nothing.

I'd be surprised if its not something though, seems everythign is at least a +1 to something or other in this world.

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Wed May 17, 2017 1:56 am

The staff is definitely magical (not surprising, magic items seem to be very common in this world), but it hasn't been identified.

Arrow
Whispers Softly

Post by Arrow » Wed May 17, 2017 1:59 am

If I recall correctly this staff destroyed the ropes that bound them earlier in this maze, followed by failure to do so.

I am assuming it has a one charge of powerful disintegrate magic that slowly regenerates over time. If I'm correct the next hit on the flea demon won't be so powerful.

speakslittle
Of Few Words

Post by speakslittle » Wed May 17, 2017 4:06 am

The staff is supremely magical. It's what sundered the Axe of Prissan in the room where the GAP+1 fought future/past versions of themselves.
http://www.goblinscomic.org/03302016-2/
The yellow demon on the right is holding the staff, indicating it's Fumbles.
http://www.goblinscomic.org/04132016-2/
Axe go boom.

Fumbles vs PurpleDemon (situation reversed. Panels 2 and 3)
http://www.goblinscomic.org/06062016-2/
That doesn't necessarily preclude the idea that the staff may take time to recharge. I could absolutely see Thunt doing something like that, given his predilection for cliffhangers and surprise twists. But to counter that, I would point out that he also seems to generally subscribe to the idea that magic items should be BAMF, and he isn't afraid of having them be humongously overpowering (or comically underpowered).

As to Fumbles, he's Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Fighter, Druid, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Wizard. All of the PHB base-classes. Exact level unknown. Possibly 3/11ths or 4/11ths of each. He started higher than the rest of the party, but they gained I think 2 levels while he was offscreen.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed May 17, 2017 4:47 am

ImageShadowflame cloak

I wonder what else the cloak does, besides the cool visual effect of blue flames... And the att/def bonus stated in the card (which may be different in the comic, which allows for more complex and different bonus/malus actions than the envisioned card game).
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed May 17, 2017 4:54 am

Fumbles is going to be the most badass teller the world has ever known.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed May 17, 2017 5:01 am

I'm confused about the ritual. He's got two imprints in the door, but has not embraced either one.

I'm guessing he still needs to do that, only he has to embrace every imprint inside the gate? So Complains can shut the door, but has to wait until Fumbles has done his part. Or else the ritual fails?

Or... I don't know. I guess we'll find out over the next few pages. But any ideas?
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed May 17, 2017 5:26 am

...to me it looks like the imprints a) can't leave from the "door" on their own and b) are intertwined, as there are blue swirly rings around the imprint of Y&B (and blue seems to be the colour of the other imprint) and dirty green rings (same color as Y&B's imprint) around the other ex-teller.

So once Fumbles (or anyone else intending to be the cryptic fall clans teller, and getting old Mags blessing :lol: ) comes back into reach of those, the "embracing" will happen, most likely. With those two - inseparable from each other - and any others that might have appeared in the meantime.

I don't think CoN can shut the "door", or he might have done so already earlier. I'm sure he'd rather have either a 0 imprint teller, but alive Fumbles, and/or try to do the ritual over, later perhaps, when the fight with the demons is done. If the latter is possible at all.

But ofc that's all pure speculation.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed May 17, 2017 5:37 am

[url=http://www.goblinscomic.org/05012017/]Complains of Names[/url], during the summoning wrote:... and we understand that once you start the ceremony, it will not end until a Goblin either becomes our new teller or dies trying.
So any Goblin dies ends the ceremony of summoning imprints?
Or the specific Goblin appointed to embrace the imprints must become teller or die?

edit: some info from before the sketched page went live:
► Show Spoiler

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed May 17, 2017 7:14 am

Krulle wrote:
[url=http://www.goblinscomic.org/05012017/]Complains of Names[/url], during the summoning wrote:... and we understand that once you start the ceremony, it will not end until a Goblin either becomes our new teller or dies trying.
So any Goblin dies ends the ceremony of summoning imprints?
Or the specific Goblin appointed to embrace the imprints must become teller or die?
Pretty sure that means "it will not end until a Goblin either becomes our new teller or dies [while they are] trying [to become our new teller]."

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed May 17, 2017 7:50 am

There's some control. You can choose the number of imprints. And Complains was told that he needs to concentrate to get the timing just right. So I figure Fumbles needs to embrace the imprints - either he succeeds or he dies trying - and then Complains needs to declare the ceremony over, thus closing the door. But I could be wrong.

► Show Spoiler

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Wed May 17, 2017 9:39 am

I wonder what would happen if a candidate ran away. Would imprints continue to spawn until the very first one, and then more or less annihilate the runaway if they ever came back? And if the ritual calls for a goblin, could a different one end up being the Fortune Teller if they then embrace the imprints instead? So in that first scenario, the clan would be forced to offer up a sacrificial candidate who would be turned to mulch immediately to reset the process.

Rooks
Speaks Quietly

Post by Rooks » Wed May 17, 2017 12:37 pm

YEAH! GET'EM FUMBLES! Then go crush those 4+ teller imprints and start owning everything! WOOOOO!

I'm pretty bumped about this where this is heading.

AXIS
Of Few Words

Post by AXIS » Wed May 17, 2017 3:31 pm

I''m with Rooks.

I really hope Fumbles becomes the strongest Teller ever. He's been through so much, he deserves to catch a break.

Like someone else said a few updates back. He's got adventurer levels, that's gotta count for something for being able to crush the ritual (hopefully).

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Wed May 17, 2017 4:54 pm

I suspect that they've never held a teller ceremony under such immediate and dire circumstances. Even the medium and long term circumstances are pretty dire. It looks to me like the dead tellers have some interest in making this work out.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Xavier78 » Wed May 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Anyone care to refresh my memory of where that cloak even came from? I only remember seeing the cloak they have wrapped around the Axe.

AXIS
Of Few Words

Post by AXIS » Wed May 17, 2017 11:15 pm

Xavier78 wrote:Anyone care to refresh my memory of where that cloak even came from? I only remember seeing the cloak they have wrapped around the Axe.

Minmax seems to have turned up with it while collecting the loot that survived the explosion.

Seems there was additional loot that we didn't see during the big identify scramble (which makes sense).

The cloak is cool and all, but I'd really like to see Fumbles start to be able to use some of his adventurer level abilities, been a long time since that dodge he was using.

What level is Fumbles up to anyway? or fraction of a level I guess depending how much he spreads it (assuming he can do that)

he missed a whole bunch of adventuring, but hopefully got a whole bunch of roleplaying xp I should think, :)

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu May 18, 2017 1:31 am

@[color=#FF0000]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:"Where did that black cloak come from? I don't recall seeing it in the loot pile"
ImageImage
I already linked the tweet further above, just like Shardstorm did even before me.

Not as obvious as I did now... ;)

BTW, ithe image from Thunt is of 21 March 2017.
You can also see the cloak over CoN's arm on the page of 9 January 2017, although I find it hard to recognise. [Edit]Sorry, this one seems to be that "Pain Cloak". My fault.[/Edit]

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Thu May 18, 2017 6:10 am

This is throwing me off a bit; I don't have a problem with not having seen every item identified by the wall. But one would think that the page that showed various items and their effects would have focused on those that will be plot relevant and survive the explosion. Yet this is the fourth item now that hasn't been on that page but must have come from the wall, while apparently nine items out of eleven that we saw didn't make it through the explosion.
Storytelling-wise, that's not very economic; it uses exposition time on things that aren't plot relevant while later forcing more exposition to explain the items that do have some importance.