10th April 2017: Rough-housing with Care

Discuss the comic here!
Liquidmark
Speaks Quietly

Re: 10th April 2017: Rough-housing with Care

Post by Liquidmark » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:39 pm

BiggestBlackest wrote:
Liquidmark wrote:
Maybe the good/evil call works on the basis of what the individual paladin or the paladin's god considers good or evil?

To Minmax, killing the goblins at the warcamp wasn't evil. From his perspective *they* were evil and trying to conquer the world.

As I stated before, Minmax has a pretty clear code of honor. Killing in battle against an opponent that can fight back is honorable. Raping a monster that is essentially a slave and can't resist is dishonorable.
This is a very silly discussion, but ok: so, a character who believed that raping slaves was an honorable act could do it and still be a paladin, and we the readers would think they were good because they had an idiosyncratic moral system?

I don't know what's up with Kore but I assume Mr. Hunt has a card he has yet to reveal. He is NOT "Good" and the mechanism by which he retains his paladin status will be revealed at some point.

I am confident that, were Minmax a paladin, he would have lost the favor of his deity (paladins can only be Good) after butchering a goblin village full of innocents who never intended harm to anyone. The only reason D&D paladins can get away with killing a bunch of goblins without checking on their moral status is that all the monsters they encounter are, in fact, Evil, which was clearly not the case here. Were someone to cast Detect Evil on our buddies the goblins they would not be evil. Obviously Ears is not, he's a fucking paladin.
If it worked as you say then paladins would be the most out-of-work adventuring class in goblins because monsters are no longer default evil alignment. However, remember that big ears tried to describe what good or evil is and how it works for Paladins. He believes that good and evil are both based on someone's personal code of honor (http://www.goblinscomic.org/06242016-2/). He could be absolutely wrong, but there it is.

The reality is that we don't really see any other paladins in the story to have anything to go off of. Kore is certainly an exception but it would be nice to see other paladins.
Morgaln wrote:
I definitely disagree on that part. He doesn't let go; letting go would mean dropping the leash immediately. Instead he deliberately sets her free, by handing her the leash. That even requires him to give her another order, or she couldn't take it out of his hand. That is a powerful gesture, but it is the gesture of a master to their servant, not of an equal to another. "I am letting you go," as opposed to "I have no power over you."
I do agree that he was in an extreme emotional situation and wasn't thinking rationally, but I also believe that he knew full well what the leash does and that he did try to force Kin to listen. We also know from several other situations in the Maze of Many that he can think very quickly and come up with clever solutions to problems if necessary, so saying he's too dumb to realize what he was doing doesn't hold with me.

I understand how you see it that way, I'm not sure you understand my point. I think it sends a very different message (I almost used the word signamancy here, damn you Erfworld >:( ) if he hands her the leash instead of dropping it.
There is only one person who has the right to control Kin. That person is Kin. When MinMax grabs the leash, he takes that control away from her. Whether he did it deliberately or not is something we disagree on, since it might be either way. Either way, he had no right to do that, I think everyone agrees on these points.
However, when he realises what he did, he keeps hold of the leash. That means he unnecessarily prolongs the time she is under his control. Remember that during this time, she is still forced to obey the order he gave her earlier. She has to stay under his control until he allows her to take the leash. And he literally has to give her permission to take it. That permission takes the form of another order he is giving her. Which means he turns her having control over herself into his choice. He decides how, when and where she will be able to gain control again, and he lets her have it by his grace.
I am certainly not saying he does all of that intentionally. I doubt he thought of all of this. But it is the message the scene sends to me (again, subjective impression, I'm not trying to turn anyone to my view here).

I haven't seen anyone claim that MinMax is evil. Did I miss a post somewhere?

Also, I don't think Complains is attacking him unfairly at all. He's pointing out a very real hypocrisy in MinMax' behavior here. It's been maybe two weeks since Minmax attacked the goblin camp and killed almost everyone Complain's ever knew. Not only did he do that, he did so gleefully and unprovoked, for his own gain. Less than a day ago, Minmax appeared at Complain's location for the express purpose of killing Complains and taking revenge for the wound he took in their last fight. Revenge for Complains daring to defend his home against an unprovoked attack. The only reason MinMax didn't kill any of the goblins then is that Kore showed up and forced them to work together for their survival. This has been after he fell in love with Kin and lost her. So he might see Kin as a person and not a monster, but clearly it hasn't made him re-assess his opinion of the goblins.

I haven't seen MinMax ever acknowledge what he did. He hasn't apologized or tried to close the rift between him and the goblins. He's doing nothing to atone for his deeds. Instead he's accusing Complains of not caring about a goblin that MinMax tried to kill two weeks ago. Complains himself said it, MinMax has no business at all to take the moral high ground here. It's about time he got called on it, even if this is a bad moment.

Before anyone repeats Thaco's line about how war is always tragic and unfair: this is not a war. MinMax is not a soldier in an army. He's a free person who attacked others unprovoked. He himself said he did it because they were monsters (meaning, because of their race), and because they had something he wanted (loot). That's about as immoral as it gets for motivation.

Until and unless MinMax acknowledges this hypocrisy and starts to actively atone, Complains is fully justified in telling him to keep out of goblin business.

You know, I think it's funny that you call him Names, like MinMax does, and I call him Complains, like the other goblins do. I'm not sure if you do it deliberately or not, I just noticed.
I agree that Complains has no idea about the relation between MinMax and Forgath or Kin. It was a stab designed to get a rise out of him, nothing more and nothing less; a pretty effective one, even. But the hypocrisy is still very real when you consider that MinMax claims he's the only one who cares whether Fumbles lives or dies; two weeks ago, he tried to kill Fumbles; heck, a day ago, he told Fumbles he's "dead meat". And suddenly, Fumbles is his best buddy? I wouldn't believe it either, if I was Complains.

Just pointing out that Kin is a reptile that hatched from an egg... :D
Ok, I'll try to respond to this as concisely as possible. I'm typing on my tablet so it gets a bit dicey with long responses.

1) I use whatever's convenient when it comes to Complains of Names. Names works better for me because it is shorter than the word Complains.

2) my main issue with what Names said is that it steps into territory that he knows nothing about. If he wants to hate Minmax forever because he killed goblins, that's certainly his right. He could have simply said "look, shut up, stupid human, you were trying to kill all of us literally a couple days ago. You don't even know Fumbles/Maxo like that and basically treat him like pet because you have some personal need for companionship that I don't care to explore further. Take a cup of stfu and go over there while we do our goblin thing" at least it would be accurate to what he can actually see. Saying that he just uses Kin and Forgath kinda comes way out of left field. He doesn't know anything about them or their relationships. At this point, MM knows Kin way better than any of the goblins there. Yeah, he might be trying to get a rise but woah nelly is that "slit throat" neighborhood. He decided to moonwalk through a minefield there.

3) if there is a hypocracy in MM saying he's the only one that cares if Fumbles lives or dies then flatly point out his hypocracy to him. I'm sure that he'll recognize it and try to make amends. I keep going back to it but he was ready to kill Kin and he went and fell in love with her. If the context of the scenario were different, he probably would have went through with killing her. In the battle at the war camp, he did try to kill fumbles and the others, but fumbles (and the others) was/were just a faceless mob(s) to kill for XP at the time to him. I think MM's belief that he cares more about fumbles than anyone else is misguided because they obviously know him better/longer than MM ever did and Fumbles has sort of become his surrogate for Forgath. I agree that MM should stay out of goblins business. I just think Names should stay out of lost love interest and lost best friend business.

4) I believe that people can change. As it stands now, it isn't helpful to anyone to push buttons either way. Forgath would have really been helpful here because he's a good mediator and was the first one to extend the olive branch at the war camp. He's already tried to make amends for what happened.

5) in this page (http://www.goblinscomic.org/10272013/), MM opens his hand and tries to hand it back to her. I guess he could have just dropped it but I think this works better as a "here, you have the power"

6) yes Kin has reptile traits and came from an egg but she doesn't count because she's adorable. So there. :lol:

Davis8488
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Davis8488 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:22 pm

Morgaln wrote:Less than a day ago, Minmax appeared at Complain's location for the express purpose of killing Complains and taking revenge for the wound he took in their last fight. Revenge for Complains daring to defend his home against an unprovoked attack.
Minmax and Forgath weren't just hunting the goblins for revenge. After the battle at the warcamp Forgath found a document which he misinterpereted, and so they beleived these goblins were attempting to unleash the white terror and devestate the land.
CarvesAPumpkin, Level 3 Defender in Capture the Flag

If anything I say offends you I am sorry. It is likely late and I am tired, or I'm upset and I am not thinking straight, and though I sincerely wish I could, I can't express myself in such a way that helps you be less of a crybaby.
► Show Spoiler

miados
Of Few Words

Post by miados » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:35 pm

so...... what if minmax demands to or forces his way into being the target of the ceremony to protect maxo kickasso? just a random thought.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:15 am

He sees Fumbles in pain, and runs to protect Fumbles, getting in the way of the spirits, thus absorbing some.
That way Kickaxo (combined) become the teller(s) for the clan.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:12 am

miados wrote:so...... what if minmax demands to or forces his way into being the target of the ceremony to protect maxo kickasso? just a random thought.
Krulle wrote:He sees Fumbles in pain, and runs to protect Fumbles, getting in the way of the spirits, thus absorbing some.
I could see MinMax do something like that... And I could see Tarol write something like that... Having names pissed and the other goblins confused/horrified/impressed all at once
-Best regards LAYF

Liquidmark
Speaks Quietly

Post by Liquidmark » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:13 am

Davis8488 wrote:
Morgaln wrote:Less than a day ago, Minmax appeared at Complain's location for the express purpose of killing Complains and taking revenge for the wound he took in their last fight. Revenge for Complains daring to defend his home against an unprovoked attack.
Minmax and Forgath weren't just hunting the goblins for revenge. After the battle at the warcamp Forgath found a document which he misinterpereted, and so they beleived these goblins were attempting to unleash the white terror and devestate the land.
Yup. That's why they kept saying that they will go hunt some goblins and save the world. They thought these goblins were going to conquer the world.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:29 am

Krulle wrote:He sees Fumbles in pain, and runs to protect Fumbles, getting in the way of the spirits, thus absorbing some.
Ugh, I hope not but it seems like it is leading to that. Even though it is a ritual for goblins.

Segev
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Segev » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:28 am

I tend to call him "Names" because "Complains" sounds derogatory to me. *shrug* Heck, I figured the other goblins called him that because they really were tired of him living up to his name.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:27 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote:
Ugh, I hope not but it seems like it is leading to that. Even though it is a ritual for goblins.
Sure it is. But I think the ritual calls the spirits of previous tellers, and whoever is standing in the circle CoN is creating, will be imprinted.
We'll see soon enough....

Scoshan
Mutters to Themself

Post by Scoshan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:28 am

If that's what happens, do you think the realization that he killed innocent people would hit him very, very hard? Because from what I've seen of Minmax that seems possible. I mean the imprints of previous tellers could show him a few things.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:03 am

B ut the previous tellers also knew that goblins are a first lvl opponent for adventurers....

And yes, I believe the realization of how naïve he was, and how innocent the goblins were, will hit himhard, despite him knowing that he was wrong (e.g. Kin and the Serpentfolk/Yuan-Ti). But feeling it inside is still different than an intellectual realisation....

Liquidmark
Speaks Quietly

Post by Liquidmark » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:55 pm

Krulle wrote:B ut the previous tellers also knew that goblins are a first lvl opponent for adventurers....

And yes, I believe the realization of how naïve he was, and how innocent the goblins were, will hit himhard, despite him knowing that he was wrong (e.g. Kin and the Serpentfolk/Yuan-Ti). But feeling it inside is still different than an intellectual realisation....
Yeah, that's why they set up their warcamp with what seems to be expendable anyway. They knew adventurers will destroy their warcamp, so they made the executive decision to minimize losses, iirc.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:26 pm

BiggestBlackest wrote:I am confident that, were Minmax a paladin, he would have lost the favor of his deity (paladins can only be Good) after butchering a goblin village full of innocents who never intended harm to anyone.
He butchered the goblins' warcamp. The village full of innocents is where we're going now, trying to get there ahead of Kore.

Afraidofdarkness
Remains Silent

Post by Afraidofdarkness » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:57 am

Sorry if this has been explained, but how does the teller cermony work are there any rules for it? Do you take a % chance amount of hp per inprint you consume, Or is it a straight roll for death.

BiggestBlackest
Mutters to Themself

Post by BiggestBlackest » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:13 am

RocketScientist wrote:
He butchered the goblins' warcamp. The village full of innocents is where we're going now, trying to get there ahead of Kore.
Is your argument that Minmax participating in the murder of all those goblins was not a deeply evil act?

If that is not your argument, could you please get more specific about what point you're making? I believe I have made my points clear and asked a few questions to which no one has responded, so I don't know what you're getting at with this. Yeah, it was a war camp I guess. They all seemed Good and innocent to me.

BiggestBlackest
Mutters to Themself

Post by BiggestBlackest » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:17 am

RocketScientist wrote: trying to get there ahead of Kore.
And also: yeah, seems like everyone is really hustling, huh? Pushing their movement-per-round in order to do the stuff they need to do before doom visits them all. The tension is palpable!

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:12 am

Afraidofdarkness wrote:Sorry if this has been explained, but how does the teller cermony work are there any rules for it? Do you take a % chance amount of hp per inprint you consume, Or is it a straight roll for death.
I don't think it's really been explained, but it sounds like maybe a save-or-die situation with increasing DC for each teller-ghost...

Liquidmark
Speaks Quietly

Post by Liquidmark » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:28 am

BiggestBlackest wrote:
RocketScientist wrote:
Is your argument that Minmax participating in the murder of all those goblins was not a deeply evil act?

If that is not your argument, could you please get more specific about what point you're making? I believe I have made my points clear and asked a few questions to which no one has responded, so I don't know what you're getting at with this. Yeah, it was a war camp I guess. They all seemed Good and innocent to me.
Is hunting an evil act? Is destroying your enemy in battle an evil act? Is it evil to unwittingly do something that some view as bad because you're ignorant or insane?

Minmax has demonstrated that he cannot just straight up murder a person that can't fight back because he has a code of honor as a warrior. He killed goblins at a known warcamp and viewed monsters as XP sacks with legs. He didn't know there was more to them at the time and was basically a lowbie adventurer getting as much easy XP as he can from mobs that exist solely to be harvested for their XP.

Yeah, they're good an innocent, but Minmax couldn't see that and had no way of knowing or learning they were good and innocent.

brnforce
Speaks Quietly

Post by brnforce » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:24 am

Liquidmark wrote:
BiggestBlackest wrote:
RocketScientist wrote:

Is hunting an evil act? Is destroying your enemy in battle an evil act? Is it evil to unwittingly do something that some view as bad because you're ignorant or insane?

Minmax has demonstrated that he cannot just straight up murder a person that can't fight back because he has a code of honor as a warrior. He killed goblins at a known warcamp and viewed monsters as XP sacks with legs. He didn't know there was more to them at the time and was basically a lowbie adventurer getting as much easy XP as he can from mobs that exist solely to be harvested for their XP.

Yeah, they're good an innocent, but Minmax couldn't see that and had no way of knowing or learning they were good and innocent.

Exactly! Let's all remember that there is a meta-level to this where there are people sitting around a table playing D&D right now (in the story). How many times (before viewing this comic) do you think that people playing D&D would choose to talk with a random encounter that was armed and ready to attack them? A human guard maybe, but "monsters" have always just been evil. That's what makes this comic interesting; the fact that that assumption has been turned on its head.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:29 am

Inconsistent, inconsistent, inconsistent.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:48 am

BiggestBlackest wrote:
RocketScientist wrote:

I feel like your response was needlessly hostile. I'm not making ANY argument. I'm correcting your terminology. No more, no less. Breathe.

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:10 am

brnforce wrote:
Liquidmark wrote:
BiggestBlackest wrote:

Exactly! Let's all remember that there is a meta-level to this where there are people sitting around a table playing D&D right now (in the story). How many times (before viewing this comic) do you think that people playing D&D would choose to talk with a random encounter that was armed and ready to attack them? A human guard maybe, but "monsters" have always just been evil. That's what makes this comic interesting; the fact that that assumption has been turned on its head.
My group stopped acting like that long before D&D 3.0 had even been released. In fact, my longest-running AD&D campaign had the characters (all of them human) become part of an orc village and help them not only uniting the villages in the area but also forming them into a nation that had diplomatic relations to the other nations around. That was in the early 90ies, so long before this comic was a thing. I would never presume that I was so ahead of everyone else that I was the only one doing this. I'm sure it happened in many groups.
There are also official examples. As much as he gets parodied today, Drizzt do'Urden is the most well-known example of a character who doesn't fall into the stereotype of his race and has to deal with being treated like he does; he also preceeds the D&D 3.0 and the comic by more than a decade (he first showed up in 1987). He wasn't the only one either. Dragonlance broke with the traditional "evil" minotaur image and turned them into a proud warrior race; they even had novels with a minotaur protagonist. Dragonlance also builds a lot of its background story on a good character becoming too extreme in his views and almost destroying the world in an overzealous attempt to eradicate all evil. Planescape threw everything on its head with an "anything goes"-attitude. Much of the Planescape setting revolves around the city of Sigil, where you will find all kinds of creatures of all kinds of alignment, and if you think you can kill someone there just because they are evil (or good, for that matter), the Harmonium will have a few quite uncomfortable words with you. Not to mention that AD&D already had supplements that allowed for "monster" PCs (of any alignment) and adventures that had the option of negotiating with intelligent opponents, even if they were evil.
So no, D&D players didn't suddenly start to think about the moral implications of using monsters as xp bags just because this comic got released. That started much earlier.

brnforce
Speaks Quietly

Post by brnforce » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:41 pm

Morgaln wrote: My group stopped acting like that long before D&D 3.0 had even been released. In fact, my longest-running AD&D campaign had the characters (all of them human) become part of an orc village and help them not only uniting the villages in the area but also forming them into a nation that had diplomatic relations to the other nations around. That was in the early 90ies, so long before this comic was a thing. I would never presume that I was so ahead of everyone else that I was the only one doing this. I'm sure it happened in many groups.
There are also official examples. As much as he gets parodied today, Drizzt do'Urden is the most well-known example of a character who doesn't fall into the stereotype of his race and has to deal with being treated like he does; he also preceeds the D&D 3.0 and the comic by more than a decade (he first showed up in 1987). He wasn't the only one either. Dragonlance broke with the traditional "evil" minotaur image and turned them into a proud warrior race; they even had novels with a minotaur protagonist. Dragonlance also builds a lot of its background story on a good character becoming too extreme in his views and almost destroying the world in an overzealous attempt to eradicate all evil. Planescape threw everything on its head with an "anything goes"-attitude. Much of the Planescape setting revolves around the city of Sigil, where you will find all kinds of creatures of all kinds of alignment, and if you think you can kill someone there just because they are evil (or good, for that matter), the Harmonium will have a few quite uncomfortable words with you. Not to mention that AD&D already had supplements that allowed for "monster" PCs (of any alignment) and adventures that had the option of negotiating with intelligent opponents, even if they were evil.
So no, D&D players didn't suddenly start to think about the moral implications of using monsters as xp bags just because this comic got released. That started much earlier.
But it is still the expectation.
"Goblins are small, black-hearted, selfish humanoids that
lair in caves, abandoned mines, despoiled dungeons,
and other dismal settings. Individually weak, goblins
gather in large- sometimes overwhelming- numbers.
They crave power and regularly abuse whatever
authority they obtain."

from http://d20.sabotender.com/5th/Source/Dn ... Manual.pdf

Goblins are inherently bad. It is not evil to kill them in D&D. Monsters are monsters.

BiggestBlackest
Mutters to Themself

Post by BiggestBlackest » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:13 pm

brnforce wrote:
Liquidmark wrote:

Ok, again: if you view this story as a game being played by gamers, how do you care about their problems? They aren't real and their pain is acted. They only engage with their injuries and heartbreak to the extent that it's fun on their weekend. They can drop the act whenever they want.

BiggestBlackest
Mutters to Themself

Post by BiggestBlackest » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:23 pm

Liquidmark wrote:

1. Not if you're hunting animals, no.
2. Depends on the war and which side you're on, but it's certainly possible.
3. Tough question, but I believe the American criminal justice system often says "yes," or if not "yes" then "no, but you have to be imprisoned for life anyway."

If Minmax grew up in a world where there was evidence all over the place that "monsters" could be good, yes, it is his sin to have either never bothered to observe that or to ignore it before starting a life of monster-killing. In the same way it would be my fault if I signed up for an army of Jew-hunters because I had avoided meeting Jews my whole life (you brought up the Nazis not meeeee).

On the other hand, if he suddenly appeared in this world as a character being puppeted by a player, then "he" isn't "really" in love with Kin, doesn't "really" feel "his" injuries, and the line we're now being asked to walk with "him" is very confusing.

It also occurs to me that a DM who created a story like this, where a bunch of starting gamers were shown a goblin war camp and understandably started killing people who later turned out to be Lawful Good nice folks without preparing them for the fact that this was a morally ambiguous universe, is kind of a dick. Herbert, shame on you, you've made your players feel bad.