27-03-2017: Aggressive immigration policy

Discuss the comic here!
Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

27-03-2017: Aggressive immigration policy

Post by Glemp » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:18 pm

http://www.goblinscomic.org/comics/20170327.jpg

One of the few times Fumbles and MM brought a smile to may face instead of groaning at how immature they are. Sonovacrap, I feel like Forgath...

BookWyrm17
Mutters to Themself

Re: 27-03-2017: Aggressive immigration policy

Post by BookWyrm17 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:06 pm

Glemp wrote:http://www.goblinscomic.org/comics/20170327.jpg

One of the few times Fumbles and MM brought a smile to may face instead of groaning at how immature they are. Sonovacrap, I feel like Forgath...
Wait, am I supposed to not be laughing every time they interact? I might have a problem...

Aha! I knew his finger would disappear when he put it in the ring! Biting it was not unexpected, either.
The point is to have fun.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:21 pm

I saw this thread and thought it was something belonging in Controversy until I read today's comic...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

MaxtheGreat&Terrible
Remains Silent

Post by MaxtheGreat&Terrible » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:57 pm

So many questions answered! Well, the thing about the disappearing finger. I'm still unclear if the doorway shrinks or the entire room. Did Vorpal bite a giant finger or a regular sized one? We may never know!

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:23 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:I saw this thread and thought it was something belonging in Controversy until I read today's comic...
Same here. :lol:

...And now Fumbles has bitten 2 of the 11 fingers of MinMax. Will he bite the other 9, too? o:)
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Shardstorm
Of Few Words

Post by Shardstorm » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:25 pm

Anyone notice the colour change? Minmax's armour is a lot brighter in this update. I assume it's the smoke clearing from the room? I'd love a bit of urgency from the party though. Get something happening you know...
- ANZ based gamer and reader.

StClair
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by StClair » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:32 pm

These two are so cute, and so good for each other.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:51 pm

MaxtheGreat&Terrible wrote:So many questions answered! Well, the thing about the disappearing finger. I'm still unclear if the doorway shrinks or the entire room. Did Vorpal bite a giant finger or a regular sized one? We may never know!
Well, biting a giant finger (based on the ratio of doorway/ring) seems extremely difficult. Ever tried to bite into a plastered wall?
And the last panel shows the bite line all around the finger, so I assume, he bit one which was shrunk too. Otherwise Vorpal would not get his mouth all around the finger... Or he would've had to bite Minmax very often to create that effect, and that would mean a time speedup as well (making it unsuitable to transport provisions inside the ring of holding). But that does also not seem to be the case, as it would make a conversation between someone inside and someone outside very difficult.
Conclusions I draw: no time effects, and the finger gets downsized, at least the part inside the ring. So Vorpal bit a "regular sized [finger]", compared to his own size. Which actually means he bit a tiny finger, as he himself has been shrunk to minimal size.
How does the ring prevent getting lost (falling of the finger) is my next question, but there might be simple magic involved in that case. Simple relative to the requirements for creating a pocket dimension with a scalable entrance.

Oh, and the ring seems to negate any weight effects of the stuff inside.

Also, interestingly the ring is not a ring, but more a coin, as it is closed on one side, with a flat surface. (panel 13 out of 14)

Also, someone failed his (second) trap and his insight (vs. Minmax's bluff) checks badly.

For those interested, the first two panels sketched (links to twitter):
(the transcription is over in the transcription thread)
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Xodiac
Remains Silent

Post by Xodiac » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:48 am

MaxtheGreat&Terrible wrote:So many questions answered! Well, the thing about the disappearing finger. I'm still unclear if the doorway shrinks or the entire room. Did Vorpal bite a giant finger or a regular sized one? We may never know!
I think the doorway shrank. If the whole room shrank, then either Vorpal would have been crushed or he'd have shrunk with the room. He's alive and chatty, so he wasn't crushed, but if he shrank with the room then he could have simply walked out of the door.

Of course, then he'd be an itty-bitty Vorpal held several hundred feet (to-scale) above the floor. He'd be fine - small creatures like mice can take a fall like that easily - but he'd surely be reluctant to try it. But from the dialogue it doesn't seem like that's the issue. He's not wondering why the room and people outside are suddenly so huge or anxious about the sudden height, he just wants to be let out.

So, most likely it's a finger-sized finger sticking through a finger-sized hole that he just bit.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:42 am

Guys. There are friends on the floor that need help. Go and help. :wall:

This whole happening gets me out of the story so bad. Why couldn't they do these shenanigans right after making sure their friends aren't seriously injured. Even then it would be problematic because of the whole "world is ending" situation, but then at least it wouldn't be as in your face. I know Fumbles isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but this borders mentally impaired instead of just dumb. It's painful to watch.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:46 am

They already stabilised their friends. Since right now noone has access to healing spells, what else can tehy do. Especially with Minmax's attention span and his boredom inciting him to distract the others.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:58 am

Do what Complains says and get on with the ritual, that's what they can do. I get that Fumbles and Minmax are easily distracted, but this goes a step too far for me. Even if they are active D&D players, they are being inconsiderate, because they leave the other players down on the ground not able to do anything while they are messing about, making the game less fun for the players that are (supposed to be) unconcious.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:16 am

As Complains pointed out after they fell down the slope, the GAP doesn't care about MM (and the feeling is mutual). MM screwing around is in-character for him, and Fumbles has trouble keeping his attention on something that isn't affecting him directly (like when he felt guilty about scaring the elf-girl and making her drop the doll).

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:23 am

I know, I understand the in game explanation, I just find it frustrating. It's the same thing I get with romcoms, where something is completely in character but so jarring to me that I'll just turn off the movie altogether. We'll see what happens next update.

mustache_man
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by mustache_man » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:52 am

Glemp wrote:As Complains pointed out after they fell down the slope, the GAP doesn't care about MM (and the feeling is mutual). MM screwing around is in-character for him, and Fumbles has trouble keeping his attention on something that isn't affecting him directly (like when he felt guilty about scaring the elf-girl and making her drop the doll).
I understand the resoning, but once Kore inevitably catches up, being the relentless tracking killing machine that he is, it will be very hard to do two things. 1. Getting some real tension back into the story and 2. Thinking they do not deserve to be torn to pieces.

Its possible that since the axe already broke he might not be that interested in tearing them to pieces. Unless he wants it more, because you know, they brought down the apocalypse.

Arrow
Whispers Softly

Post by Arrow » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:25 am

Guus wrote:Do what Complains says and get on with the ritual, that's what they can do. I get that Fumbles and Minmax are easily distracted, but this goes a step too far for me. Even if they are active D&D players, they are being inconsiderate, because they leave the other players down on the ground not able to do anything while they are messing about, making the game less fun for the players that are (supposed to be) unconcious.
I agree with you that its sometimes annoying and somewhat breaks the story, but it is consistent with the theme of the comic.

Its not so much that they are D&D players and all the "plot" is just a game they play (although at the beginning that was also a theme),
but rather I understand it as that they are real characters living in a universe that works by the rules of D&D.

These rules are why magic, monsters, demons, etc make sense.
BUT, unlike most fantasy stories, it is because of these rules that mortally injured characters are not danger once they are bandaged and are even not in any pain (at least not as we understand pain).
It would be unimaginable in our universe to joke and play while friends lie down mortally wounded, but, in their universe I guess it is quite reasonable to do so.
Last edited by Arrow on Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arrow
Whispers Softly

Post by Arrow » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:33 am

The ring of holding can be quite useful -

1. they can drag their wounded friends into the ring and run away from Kore.
2. all of them can hide inside the ring, and Kore will walk by.
3. they can enter the ring and ask someone to drop it into a hell hole, allowing them to safely drop all the way down - the fact that MM moves the ring and Fumbles is ok with it shows the acceleration forces are not being felt inside the ring pocket universe.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:26 pm

... That's actually a very good point. I bet the ring gets thrown at Kore's face.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

rivkin
Remains Silent

My office mate thinks I'm nuts

Post by rivkin » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:55 pm

:lol: I was laughing so hard I couldn't breathe, and tears were running down my face. I love this update!

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:04 pm

Minmax, don't poke the goblins, you're only going to get bitten.

Don't try to outdo Vorpal. He'll run circles around you physically and mentally.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:12 pm

I suspect the wearer of the ring needs to let out whoever is inside. The only one who could do that and not get immediatly slaughtered by Kore is Minmax. And he can't bluff to save his own life. So I doubt that would work.

0z79
Whispers Softly

Post by 0z79 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:45 pm

Guus wrote:Guys. There are friends on the floor that need help. Go and help. :wall:

This whole happening gets me out of the story so bad. Why couldn't they do these shenanigans right after making sure their friends aren't seriously injured. Even then it would be problematic because of the whole "world is ending" situation, but then at least it wouldn't be as in your face. I know Fumbles isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but this borders mentally impaired instead of just dumb. It's painful to watch.

They're almost as dumb as Cory and Trevor from The Trailer Park Boys.

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Xavier78 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:40 pm

Arrow wrote:I agree with you that its sometimes annoying and somewhat breaks the story, but it is consistent with the theme of the comic.
That is what someone repeats ad nauseum every time this is brought up and it's a poor excuse. I've been reading this coming since damn near the beginning and disagree but that is moot. These kinds of scenes are a needless distraction and just cement the fact that this comic goes down hill with every new page. I'll keep coming back because all of this is entertaining and I'd like to see the end, but it's small wonder why the forums are way more quiet then they used to be...

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:14 pm

I really don't understand why you keep coming back, Xavier. Most of your posts seem to be about how the comic disappoints you and doesn't make sense and you disagree with the premise and you don't like discussing it except to complain. But whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Personally, I found this page amusing. And I think it does serve an important purpose.

What we learned is that you can go into the ring room (some items of holding will kill you if you try to stay inside) and you can hold it closed from the inside. The latter implies to me that you can open it from the inside.

And that's very important. Because they need a portal to Hell, they can't open one themselves, and I believe the closest one is a very narrow fissure, just big enough to fit a ring.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Hjerne
Of Few Words

Post by Hjerne » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:41 pm

I feel sorry for anybody who gets upset at Minmax and Fumbles screwing around. It means your D&D games must be as boring as all get out. If my character winds up unconscious, dead, or bleeding to death then the game doesn't suddenly become deadly serious for me. It's still just a game that I play for fun. That would be like getting upset at somebody making vroom vroom sounds with the Monopoly car because you are in jail. Or worse yet in jail and on the verge of bankruptcy.

The wounded guys are stabilized so that means they aren't going to die. Plus it's not like the rest of the group is in any big hurry either. They took the opportunity to try out the new loot.