27 Feb 2017: Being a teller is...

Discuss the comic here!
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: 27 Feb 2017: Being a teller is...

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:10 am

(^_^) wrote:
spiderwrangler wrote:He's goofy, but does have moments where he's not a complete dope.
More than one
That page makes a decent case for establishing a high wisdom score (or at least one good perception/3e equivalent check), he was able to overhear the other goblins' conversation even while in the middle of playing pretend with MM.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:48 pm

Krulle wrote:She may have been Young and Beautiful when she gave herself the name.
Indeed. But wisdom would dictate that she wouldn't always be.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:28 pm

High wisdom does not mean that you're flawless. Vanity may have been Young's flaw.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:37 pm

From my experience, Young is not what caused the vanity. Beautiful is more likely the culprit...
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:52 pm

Naming ceremonies happen shortly after birth, so Young and Beautiful was just a few days old when she chose her name. You can't blame her for not thinking it through at that age :P

Never Finishes Anyth
Mutters to Themself

Post by Never Finishes Anyth » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:58 pm

I wonder how Complains knows what a super-hero is and what its victory poses would look like.

-Never Finishe

speakslittle
Of Few Words

Post by speakslittle » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:12 am

WearsHats wrote:Yeah, Fumbles has heart. He's wacky and spacy and such, but he's sensitive.

What makes this page more interesting is that there was a joke that was cut recently (maybe even from the previous page? I don't remember) because it made the page too busy.

that joke would have given it more depth.
I'm really glad he cut it. The page, the character, the drama is much stronger for it.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:32 am

Thunt will miss Monday's update, a few tweets have been set, he needs input what he could provide us with instead...
See this post

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:56 am

He's been missing a lot of updates. If he keeps it up, he's going to start hemorrhaging readers again. :(

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:23 am

Yeah... Sadly that happens...
Tarol has his update standards and his life to deal with on the side, his current reason is a good one, but that won't hold people back... I just hope he does not lose so many readers he cannot continue....

But to be honest. I think most of the readers he has now will stay regardless. Most of us know his update history and have stayed anyways... Some because we like the story, some because we like the art, and others because we like a character or more... And some us again also stay for the forum... So... Yeah...

But still, yep, I think you are right, some will react to this...
-Best regards LAYF

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 am

Well... when they carve a 30 year infection that has eaten away the bone of your face out and replace it with a dead man's face bone, I think that's a pretty understandable reason for missing an update or two. I'm sure Cheyenne is understanding, but hope it doesn't negatively impact having him on as a colorist.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:42 pm

I mean, yeah, his dental issues are legit, but that's only going to matter to people who bother to find out why there are no updates. Again. It's a rough spot to be in.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:12 pm

That's what happened? I feel a sudden urge to brush my teeth again.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:52 pm

I had some tweets here, in the previous' comic thread.

0z79
Whispers Softly

Post by 0z79 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:18 pm

Oww.. and I thought having had three fillings and five extractions this year was rough.

mustache_man
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by mustache_man » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:06 am

RocketScientist wrote:I mean, yeah, his dental issues are legit, but that's only going to matter to people who bother to find out why there are no updates. Again. It's a rough spot to be in.
As far as I care, all his reasons for ever missing updates might have been legit. He lost a lot of readers for basically two reasons. One: he had the huge hiatus in 2014 and Two: His track record when it comes to update schedules has never been good, reglardless of reasons. Eventually people stop caring for the reasons.

But I agree that he's probably already lost most of the readers that he's likely to lose, unless he stops for months again.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:32 pm

Since there were a couple of post that didn't have anything to do with this particular topic/comic page, I split them into a separate thread, which I moved to controversy! light here, in case you feel like discussing it further, you may do so there.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:27 am

Controvers has a minimum post count, right? Wouldn't it be better to have kept the new thread just inside the comics subforum, so that other fresh registers can see we have and are already discussing the lack of/slow updates?

Just an idea. Also, if the post count needs to be three, comics lover won't be able to read any replies....

I agree moving out of the page specific discussion is a good thing. Thank you.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:50 am

...to be honest, as a forum user, I couldn't care less if they can read and/or post there, as they made it quite clear that they only registered to say "I'm rage-quitting/stopping to read the comic", which they did, and that probably was all they had to say. Now, if they wanted to actually and constructively contribute to the community, they would eventually reach a post count where they can read (and write) in that thread again even if it was in Controversy! subforum. Self-fixing problem, really.

But as a mod, I'm not gonna go down that alley, so there, I moved the thread into the general discussion forums. Hope you're happy now. :)
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:29 am

Thank You, Gathers!

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:36 pm

Called it. They literally do not care that he's had surgery.

Thanks for moving posts, Gathers.

Segev
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Segev » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:51 am

Forgive me if this isn't the right thread for speculating on the Teller ritual and how to minmax it, but this seemed the best I could find.

On the second page's topic shift, first of all... I never understand why people take special effort to inform somebody they're dropping a comic they supposedly had been reading. If I drop a comic, I do it with no fanfare, because dropping it means I'd stopped caring enough to keep going back and checking on it. (Even then, I might come back months later to see if it's built enough backlog to entertain me for a while. I'm looking at you, White Noise.)

Now, to being the tale-teller: I agree; Fumbles has shown the "bunny ears lawyer" kind of wisdom that would work for this group's Tale-Teller. It's interesting that he's "going for 6," knowing the danger but not acknowledging that it could kill him. He's very like a lot of human teens that way: "It's dangerous, but I'll be fine because I can't conceive of my not being." Which is doubly interesting due to his torture; he knows he's mortal, and vulnerable. Maybe he's counting on that giving him a high Will or Fort save?

If we assume that all damage really means all damage of any sort, though, there's a way somebody who's willing to endure agonizing torture could absorb as many manifestations as he wanted. In fact, we had Chekov's Gun taken off the mantle in the same page that we learn how dangerous it is, and Fumbles is handling it while he talks about absorbing six. If Fumbles puts on the Pain Cloak, he can't be damaged, even if he's in agony. He could absorb as many as his tolerance for pain would let him wait for, and do it without risk of dying.

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:23 am

Segev wrote: If we assume that all damage really means all damage of any sort, though, there's a way somebody who's willing to endure agonizing torture could absorb as many manifestations as he wanted. In fact, we had Chekov's Gun taken off the mantle in the same page that we learn how dangerous it is, and Fumbles is handling it while he talks about absorbing six. If Fumbles puts on the Pain Cloak, he can't be damaged, even if he's in agony. He could absorb as many as his tolerance for pain would let him wait for, and do it without risk of dying.
That's...brilliant. And I bet he's 100% willing to tolerate a few minutes of pain for this cause, and he probably has the mental fortitude to do it, and walk away from it as well.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:25 am

Sadly, that would not work...
It only protects against non-magical damage.
It's described on this page http://www.goblinscomic.org/01092017-2/
The pain cloak.

Edit: from Krulles awesome transcription page:
Information: The Pain Cloak
Information: This cloak protects the wearer from all non-magical damage but causes them constant, immeasurable, physical pain. Although the pain doesn't do damage, it will likely drive the wearer mad, if worn for long enough.
-Best regards LAYF

Segev
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Segev » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:29 am

Well, drat.

Though...isn't the damage being done to the Axe now magical, as well?