Jan 2, 2017 - Dat Axe! (Welcome, Cheyenne!)

Discuss the comic here!
AceJayce
Mumbles Incoherently

Re: Jan 2, 2017 - Dat Axe! (Welcome, Cheyenne!)

Post by AceJayce » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:05 pm

Came, saw and LOVED it!! Been a GG reader for years, Cheyenne's color style is great!
If you can read this, Cheyenne, greetings and welcome to Goblins!

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:40 pm

Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Shardstorm
Of Few Words

Post by Shardstorm » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:36 pm

But why is that a moment? I wasn't aware of a previous artist/colourist, or at least nothing as significant as this change.
- ANZ based gamer and reader.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:28 pm

I don't know why it's a moment. Maybe it just looks nice?

We did have another colorist for a while (Morikahn), but he started later than that. I believe his first page was here. (Compare with the previous page to see the shading difference.

Lanzlo
Remains Silent

Post by Lanzlo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:33 pm

My thought? The loot only works for the one who grabs it from the other wall. It turns into ephemeral smoke when it gets transferred.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:55 pm

I believe "the moment" refers to this individual only, who did not care about shading at all. and liked previous unshaded pages as well.
His personal "moment" was this page, which I think meanst for him that this was the page that showed him why Thunt wants shading, and why he indeed likes it.

About my opinion: the blue staircase page is a visually very pleasing page (with the stark dark/glowing contrast), and I do not think that Cheyenne's style would have made the page shine that much out.

But I prefer the flat colours even more (think Disney's Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck strips). I want the story to continue, and if thismgets the story moving faster than our artist perfecting his pages more and more, I'll gladly take it.
It's a good way for Thunt to stop the "perfection creep" (think:mission creep) by setting a fixed price per page. If he demands too much of the artist, the artist will say "not cost-efficient" and leave. The external artist will ensure, that the quality fits enough to stay on the payroll, and yet be at a level where he can live (by limiting the amount he spends, so that he can do more jobs, to earn enough in total to pay his bills.)
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

GuessesWildly
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by GuessesWildly » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:31 pm

Can someone explain to me why Minmax is getting all emotional over the Axehole? I guess it must remind him of some pun he thought of when he was with Forgath or Kin, but I can't remember.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:38 pm

Pretty sure it's because the goblins have (possibly) figured out how to retrieve all the loot. Since getting loot makes him happy, he cries tears of joy at the prospect.

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:50 pm

He's crying because the situation is almost identical to this one here: http://www.goblinscomic.org/10032013/
He's crying because he believes Forgath is dead.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

jokespoorly
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by jokespoorly » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:27 am

Welcome, Cheyenne! Been a huge fan of yours @GG for years! Happy to see you here.

...now I gotta get back to work. :)

JP