October 25 2016 - Order Of The Stick

Discuss the comic here!
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

October 25 2016 - Order Of The Stick

Post by WearsHats » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:57 am

Looks like Ears's plan is easier said than done. Good thing he's got friends who will follow him to Hell and back. And also Minmax.

http://www.goblinscomic.org/10312016/
Last edited by WearsHats on Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updating link
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Knicholas
Remains Silent

Re: October 25 2016 - Order Of The Stick

Post by Knicholas » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:00 am

I wonder if they can convince non-Walter to help?

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:02 am

Ah damn, didn't see this post, I was about to make one and was thinking up an amusing thread title. Settled on "Highway to Hell."
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:53 am

You can still use it next page, I'm betting, Synch. I just couldn't resist this one.

As for Not-Walter, I don't see how they'd get his help. Kin is the only one who knows his name. Minmax was there, but he's terrible with names. Besides, he's only one demon and Ears is talking about trekking through multiple layers of Hell. Having him along would help, but it still seems impossible. I don't see what a level 4 party is supposed to be able to do. Should be interesting to see what they come up with.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:48 am

As contrived and plot convenient (really, letting the characters speak up about the story point flaw?) as this page is, I like it. They are sitting down, they're making a plan (or trying to at least), there is a balance of seriousness and silly humor that doesn't destroy the gravity of the situation but instead offers something to the plot.

I'm impressed. I'd go as far as say that this is by far the best page of this story arch. Well done THunt!
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:15 am

Not Walter is a Pit Fiend though, and while not a demon lord, they're mighty lethal. Doubly so when on their home turf. Sure he could pave the way, but for how long? The layers of Hell are not small things.

Complains is right. Ears is up to his ears in trouble if he heads for Hell in his current state.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:29 pm

Wonderful to have fantastic friends!

I also like the thread title, well done WH!
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

aeton
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: Aeton

Post by aeton » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:58 pm

Knicholas wrote:I wonder if they can convince non-Walter to help?
Not a bad idea considering Minmax was next to Kin when she spoke Not-Walter's name. Could force him take either the axe or the party to hell.

GazC
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by GazC » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:33 pm

A Jade Teapot would sure come in handy right now!

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:20 am

For anyone interested: the transcription. There are some commas I would not have placed, and I find some lacking (oxford comma, personal preference), but it's transcribed as Thunt wrote.
So it's "unique, appearance" in panel 8:
http://www.goblinscomic.org/11022016/ wrote:
► Show Spoiler
original of panels 2, 3

While I like the page, the group is finally discussing future plans and that head-butting into hell will be far too dangerous to work, I dislike them using the terminology of Al Dente by naming the big demon "the sacred". By using this terminology, you abuse the word sacred, and give more validity to what Al Dente said and to the demon trying to force hell upon their realm.

And when did Maxo Kickaxo create puppets of themselves? And Minmax a crown for his puppet? Is that like doodling during a meeting? Complains of Names doing a long, boring explanation of why Big Ears will die, and those two just fashion dolls of themselves?

[edit]corrected link to comic in transcription [twice][/edit]
Last edited by Krulle on Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:23 am

GazC wrote:A Jade Teapot would sure come in handy right now!
Or a demon they know who can take them directly to Hell. Tricky part is summoning them...

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:15 am

Well, the jade teapot could bring one person with the axe directly to Grinnorarcen/Not-Walter, in whichever layer he is. But there Not-Walter is free, and would get a scare-jump by someone he knows does not know his name to suddenly appear next to him, and apparently suddenly knowing his name.
Difficult thing would therefore be how to get back to safety.

Summoning Not-Walter with another prayer to Herbert might be better, but if a different demon appears, you're in deep...
And the goblins do not know anything about Not-Walter, nor that Minmax already had contact with demons before meeting and joining them.
They're plan-making might look different if Minmax were smart enough to tell them what he experienced, and what he knows.

But then, he likely traded the ability to purposefully trade useful information against another +1 to hit, or something similar.

Lanzlo
Remains Silent

Post by Lanzlo » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:41 am

Actually, I think I may have an idea on how they can do it.

It involves Kore. Give him the axe, and tell him that he needs to eliminate the source of all Evil in this world... in the bowels of Hell. Unmovable Object, meet Irresistible Force.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:08 pm

Order Of The Stick :lol:

That's not a bad idea, Lanzlo. At least getting Kore in on it. I wonder if they could get him to work with them if he thinks it's for the greater good. I mean what could be more good than stopping evil from taking over the realm?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:44 pm

No, if Kore would cooperate with "evil", he himself would get tainted due to the socializing, and this must be prevented at all costs...
http://www.goblinscomic.com/09172005/

Lady Dawn
Whispers Softly

Post by Lady Dawn » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:25 pm

Did Fumbles just turned part of his enchanted weapon into a doll? :-o

Also, Fumbles and Minmax making dolls together while the group is making a plan. That is just too cute. :)

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:33 pm

Krulle wrote:No, if Kore would cooperate with "evil", he himself would get tainted due to the socializing, and this must be prevented at all costs...
http://www.goblinscomic.com/09172005/
Well, my personal theory is that he intends to collect all evil souls in the realm within himself, and subsequently suicide to destroy them forever. Thus his own taint is irrelevant. I'd be more concerned with "Thank you for telling me, evil creatures." KATHUNK KATHUNK KATHUNK "Now it's off to Hell I go."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:53 pm

I doubt Kore will bargain, but if they can open a path to hell, maybe it'll be enough to lure him in. Then all they'd have to do is follow him thru.

...or they could give Kore the axe, go home and let Kore do the questing.

Punzil504
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Punzil504 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:34 am

I found this update oddly heartwarming...

I hope it's not a sign that we're going to be jumping to Dies or Forgath's groups for a bit.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:43 pm

Lady Dawn wrote:Did Fumbles just turned part of his enchanted weapon into a doll? :-o
Yup. I'm sure it'll be fine.... :roll:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:55 am

New permalink: http://www.goblinscomic.org/10312016/

@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:I'm so angry at myself. The point of the stick figure panels, was to help me speed up the updates. But I LITERALLY can't stop myself from...
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:...from adding too much detail, shading, etc. This page was DESIGNED to be simple and fast. It's like an OCD type of thing. Frustrated.
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:Those who watch my live stream have watched me spend over 3 hours drawing ONE hand. 2 hours drawing a pair of eyes. I'm not exaggerating.
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:The other day, people at the live stream watched me spend over an hour, trying to find the right shading/texture for the stick figures.Image
Heads up, Thunt! You'll find a rhythm that suits you better. Knowing the problem is already half the solution.
Does your software have a setable limiter how far you can zoom in?
Try limiting the max zoom, so that you cannot draw that much detail anymore. As far as I can tell you're drawing way beyond printing quality (except if you want to make posters out of your pages).

Go at max for slightly better than printing quality, it's a waste of energy loosing all those details when scaling down for printing and even further for web-publishing.

But I do appreciate your eye for detail.
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:I just remembered that I haven't added the 'cracked reality' for this page that moments ago, I thought was finished. http://www.goblinscomic.org

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:24 am

On the other hand, that attention to detail is part of why I love Thunt's work so much to the point of backing him (I recently had to cull my pledges and he was the only one I didn't touch). I can wait however long it takes for updates, in fact Dresden Codak only updates monthly and I still follow it for how good the art is. Honestly, what little I see of DC and Marvel comics don't really win me over by comparison, because they have to crank them out every week and there's a uniform style guide.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:42 am

Yes, I agree.
But, putting in details which are not visible for anyone but the high-def subscribers of Patreon is far from efficient.

It's like me writing my report and musing 45 minutes about the font to use. And that might get noticed by someone, but has no effect on what I want to tell the other side.

Sorry, I prefer wasting my time here than over a detail that does not add anymore.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:30 am

Another new permalink: http://www.goblinscomic.org/11022016/
Now with "cracked reality" in the frame.

@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:So obviously, the comic has been taking me way too long to draw. I'm going to try to figure out a huge redesign of how I draw the comic.
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:Not just because the current updating speed is unacceptable, but because I need to figure out a way to get myself days off, etc.
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:I'm not saying the comic is suddenly going to be drawn in a whole different style, just that stylistic changes are about to happen.

hector212121
Remains Silent

Post by hector212121 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:02 pm

Looks like someone rolled a natural 20 on their Knowledge:Geography check.

For the brief time it would have counted as one, anyway.