January 24 2016: Oopsie Whoopsy

Discuss the comic here!
Guus
Floods your Ears

Re: January 24 2016: Oopsie Whoopsy

Post by Guus » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:28 pm

You're right, poor choice of wording, sorry. It's an assumption from my end, but when Hunt says that the story combines three campaigns, it is for me the most logical one. It also explains some of the things that happened in retrospect I think. Like Chief dying, that had little actual use for the story, or the quest dump from Ward. It makes a little too much sense to me, but I might very well be mistaken.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:54 am

Hjerne wrote:It's Not Walter. He has been stuck in this shaft for eons because the doors don't open from the inside.

Or someone else stuck for the same reason. :wall: >:(
Not Grinnorarcen (Not Not-Walter sounds weird), wrong colour of the text. (Not-Walter's IME is red, and big letter texts are usually red too (whisper). He also has a red-coloured balloon.)
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:49 am

If the grey voice matches the color of whatever is now awake, it's soon grey hand time.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

LooksClosely
Whispers Softly

Post by LooksClosely » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:01 pm

Guus wrote:...Like Chief dying, that had little actual use for the story
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Seems to advance the story to me.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:27 pm

Except probably not, since they will try to retrieve the axe.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:04 pm

Chief's death and the quest literally just happened in comic time. It seems a bit premature to say that they had no purpose. If nothing else, they're going to need a new clan Chief, and Forgath's group gets to leave that area, rather than standing around talking to Kliks forever.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:39 am

Well, of course they miss a healer etcetera, so something happened.
What I mean is that his death didn't seem to serve a real purpose, and the reason "must kill. me mighty paladin. must purge" was kind of lame, especially because it barely slowed Kore down. It looks very much like the futile attempt of a PC hoping they will roll extremely well, or the risky gamble of a player that's fed up with his character than anything else. I hope I'm wrong and you're right RS. :)

The quest to me was a very forced way of the DM saying: "hey, enough introduction. Get off your butts and do something already, do this quest and get moving!". Once again, I hope I'm wrong about this. We'll see how it unfolds.

Anyhow, it wasn't my plan to derail the thread. I wonder why the grey voice is yelling "door", does it have a specific thing for the doors? Is it all it knows how to say? Does it really hate drafts and wants BE to close the door again? I'm very curious what might come up the shaft.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:00 am

Chiefs death opened the position up for Dies to be named Chief as part of the ritual Duv had conducted. His refusal (or at least non acceptance) lead to the other goblins trying to kill him, and thus the awakening of Junior.

So while just a minor event that helped trigger it, the biggest impact of his death may be less what happens to the GAP and Kore, and more the fallout from an appendage gaining freedom to kill everyone.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:20 am

Except that would happen anyways because both fox and dies refuse to follow Duv's commands leading them to a similar fight.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:52 pm

You mean the refusal to take up the mantle of Chief and join her side? She wouldn't have asked if he wasn't qualified... and by qualified, I mean a member of a tribe with no current chief.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:17 pm

She probably would ask the goblins to serve her, which then they would refuse. Chief's death did not have much to do with them refusing to work with duv

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:01 pm

Well, Biscuit showing up would likely what brought things to a head, but it was Fox's counseling and Dies' inaction regarding the acceptance of chiefing that prompted her to tell the other goblins to kill the both of them. The revelation of Chief being dead will likely impact Dies next time we switch to him...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

RobotSamurai
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by RobotSamurai » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:52 am

The demon won't be freed yet. Once Junior gets to God Mode, then he will and it will be case of...

https://youtu.be/-1jkbC3tPbc

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:07 am

spiderwrangler wrote:If the grey voice matches the color of whatever is now awake, it's soon grey hand time.
I'm still waiting for the moment when Minmax says "Invisible!".

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:56 pm

When are we going to get the lore that is supposed to come with this page?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:36 am

@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:I know I'm behind in various things, like Thuntonian Lore, etc. I've been busting my butt on G:AR. I'll catch up very soon.
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:And the next Goblins comic 'should' be Friday, Feb 5th.

alsohlstrom
Remains Silent

Post by alsohlstrom » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:42 am

Two questions kept nagging at me: How deep is that hole, and how loud is that sound?

To begin to answer these questions, I dragged a smaller accomplice/lackey/minion to the roof, handed him an axe, and pushed him off.

Once he got the knack of dropping the axe and grabbing the gutter to avoid falling, I got him to say Big Ear's lines. Once he got THAT right, I recited MinMax's lines, timing the performance.

I did this three times to get an average of between 8.32 and 8.675 seconds. (The discrepancy arose from the one time he grabbed me instead of the gutter. I recited my lines rather more quickly.)

According to the standard fall-distance calculation of (32xt^2)/2.0, the axe fell between about 1,106.67 and 1,204.09 feet.

Since I couldn't find any information on the Net about noises propagating up an empty shaft, I had my minion stand at one end of a long, empty hall and scream as loudly as he could. I enlisted the help of a long hank of rope, a snake, and an alarmingly large spider to urge him to maximum effort.

At his end of the hall, at a distance of one foot (the spider objected to my getting closer. Something about how my minion was tied up may have reminded it of home.) he hit a consistent 90db. With every five feet added distance, I got a consistent drop of 10 db. I couldn't get a full measurement because by the time I got half way down the hall, my minion was reduced to a motionless, quiet sobbing as the snake explored his nose.

So: Every foot of distance was 2db of volume.

Now, after I got him debugged, unsnaked, untied, and cleaned off, I measured his normal speaking voice at 70 db as he repeated, "no. You're a monster. no," over and over again. Assuming a reasonable relationship of font size to volume, the, "DOOOORRR," coming from the pit (maybe not THE BOTTOM of the pit, note) was probably about 100db. Given my 2db per foot attenuation (probably not the right word, but close enough) the original volume would have had to have been between about 2313 and 2508db.

Given that ears rupture at about 160db, and lungs rupture at about 200db (standard law enforcement practices regarding the 5th Amendment demand that I not say how I arrived at those numbers), just what horrific beast does Thunt have in mind that can YELL our guys to death!

"Fus roh da," anyone?

(P.S. No minions were hurt or damaged more seriously than could be repaired with large amounts of Toll House cookies and French Vanilla ice cream accompanied by repeated viewings of Disney's, "Frozen." -- A.S.)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:47 am

:o_O: :clap:
BEST. FIRST POST. EVER.

Welcome!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:43 am

Indeed, it made me smile too.
Treat your minions well, but never too well, or they'll be off for a meaner boss.

New permalink (shaded) for OP: http://www.goblinscomic.org/01312016/

Plasmeus
Mutters to Themself

Post by Plasmeus » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:36 am

Been a long time everybody. But I'll add my voice to this one. Ever since that encounter with Mr. Fingers being a "lesser finger horror" according to that info page he put up a long time ago. I've continuously been terrified of the "greater finger horror" and at every encounter since have been going :paranoia: this better not be it. Please don't be it. :shock:
I know it didn't speak. I know it's ime was not grey but a kind of off brown/green with the ckreaking from it's fingery joints.
But there's just so much available space to fight it in/run from it in, and body parts on all the pillars.
I feel like (and I might have missed it) I haven't seen a pillar that has fingers yet.
Paranoia for me, it is over 9000.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:28 am

Oh, great. Now I cannot think of sleep or work anymore.
;p

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:36 pm

Oh, man, I would NOT want to see a greater finger horror come crawling up from the darkness... :shudder:

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:55 am

I would hate that als a very high level character, those beasts are insane! Wouldn't climbing be hard for it though, because his bones are brittle and break constantly? Kind of hard to climb with broken arms.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:25 am

The comic is over a week late and the lore is two weeks late.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:29 am

Yes, yes it is. Thank you for that update.