December 3rd, 2015: Wheel... Of... Species...!

Discuss the comic here!
Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

December 3rd, 2015: Wheel... Of... Species...!

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:14 pm

http://www.goblinscomic.org/12032015-2/

The alternate thread title I came up with was "Only funny to Donald Trump" :P

I thought Idle was a goblin too. And the idea of that Wheel is a good one. Of course, imagine if things like "slime", "undead", "golem" (ok, not species but you kind of get the idea) turned up on the Wheel...
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Re: December 3rd, 2015: Wheel... Of... Species...!

Post by BuildsLegos » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:55 pm

First: that person who was swearing on his life that Idle was a goblin is going to feel stupid.

Second: I was JUST about to predict that Forgath was going to have to admit to Minmax that he lost the Racist Axe.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:04 pm

Would've been funny if she just kept getting elf.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:57 pm

BuildsLegos wrote:First: that person who was swearing on his life that Idle was a goblin is going to feel stupid.
Well, she is... partly. I wasn't prepared to be booped until tomorrow.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

sunphoenix
Of Few Words

Post by sunphoenix » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:24 pm

So.. I guess it is a specious turn of the wheel?
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

FailsWildly
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by FailsWildly » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:42 pm

RocketScientist wrote:Would've been funny if she just kept getting elf.
Her elf features would just become more and more defined until she looked creepy I guess.

At least we know what she is now. I'm a little confused at why she looks so offended to have been asked as to what she is. I mean, common, really it was a legitimate questions. I wonder why Bowst didn't spin it. .. Maybe he did and maybe he's not human at all and just kept landing on human. O_O

And yeah, hey its the racist axe. Cool.

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: dbg_

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:00 am

Of course she was an elf, jeeeeeeez!
I mean, common, really it was a legitimate questions.
The question was worded quite sharply. Imagine coming up to an asian-looking person and asking, "what are you, chinese? vietnamese? you look japanish".

A question of interest: can Idle get the "racist bonus" from the axe against goblins and rabbits?

FailsWildly
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by FailsWildly » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:15 am

That's not really a fair comparison. Idle clearly is a Mashup of things and it's a fair question to ask what she is or used to be originally before all the curses. An Asian person who may or may not be Korean, Japanese, Chinese or something else is a little different. You can deduce, "That person is probably of Asian descent, though I can't pinpoint which." but as far as Idle goes, she doesn't look like any standard race and is known to have gone through a cursewalk. So really, it's a fair question. She should have expected it a lot sooner to be honest.

I didn't even know her extra ears were rabbit ears at first, I thought it was some odd hair style. The first thing I would've asked after getting formalities out of the way would have been about her rabbit ears and how those came about.

Forgan certainly could've worded it nicer, but honestly I'd have laughed at the way he phrased it. Like, "Hah, yeah, I'm kind of an odd mix of things, right?" because I mean, she's gotta know she looks really weird with the rabbit ears alone.

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:58 am

another info dump, come on I want something to happen already
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:56 am

Fails, read her first pages again; the origin of her ears ARE explained early.

Askstoomuch, do you really think so little of the Kinslayer?
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

blargfoot
Remains Silent

Post by blargfoot » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:57 am

So ... somebody's got a hair fetish ... Idle has goblin features and hair ... I can see where this is going.

Go on and let your freak flag fly, Names!

:)

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: dbg_

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:37 am

She also has some rabbit facial features (upper lip, nose shape, etc.)

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:58 pm

FailsWildly wrote:I'm a little confused at why she looks so offended to have been asked as to what she is.
If Idle really is the new character for the player who started with Drowbabe and then Yodette, he's still learning how to roleplay. Better than before, but still has lapses. We should expect to see betraying moments of clumsiness. He wasn't roleplaying Idle being offended just then, he was taken off guard by Forgath's question.

After Forgath's player expanded the question, he got the idea. "Oh, right. I'm being handed a prompt here to let me reveal more of my backstory, so Forgath is allowed to act on the knowledge! Just like we've been doing this whole conversation! except I forgot to mention the wheel. Oops." (Proceeds to repair the omission.)

As for why Forgath didn't ask earlier, when the characters first met? Well, Forgarh'a player is better at this. She did wait to ask the leading questions until their two characters were alone and Bowst couldn't disrupt it with "None of your business!"

When you look for the clues to what's happening around the gaming table, they're there. All of this since Forgath survived his fall is an "insert newly-rolled replacement characters into the game" sequence, complete with DM-required infodumps of stuff some of the characters already know, to bring others (in this case, Forgath) up to speed. It's not very involving for readers, but it's good to get some of these points cleared up, and when you look at it from the meta point of view and imagine the players saying these things, it's amusing enough. It feels like it's just about finished now, though. The pace should pick up soon.

It hasn't helped that, what with one major thing after another, Thunt's Real Life has made the posting of pages pretty glacial recently. It will read much better for people who come along to read it later. Moreover, G:AR is almost done, Thunt's had his operation and can now draw pain-free, and the page-posting rate is likely to pick up. I am looking forward to what's coming next!
Last edited by Sessine on Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
► Show Spoiler

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:59 pm

blargfoot wrote:So ... somebody's got a hair fetish ... Idle has goblin features and hair ... I can see where this is going.

Go on and let your freak flag fly, Names!

:)
This made me snicker.

+1
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

LarsenSan
Mutters to Themself

Post by LarsenSan » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:41 pm

I don't think she's offendend. Looks more like puzzled to me.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:15 pm

I wonder if Kore is a product of the Cursewalk. If the dungeon designer doesn't mind forcing a person to have sex or die every day, then turning a paladin into a murderbot doesn't seem like much of a stretch.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:51 pm

That'd make Kore a lot less of a fleshed out character than I hope he will be though
Last edited by Guus on Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

SpellsBedly
Of Few Words

Post by SpellsBedly » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:38 pm

It could be. Maybe he spun both angel and demon or something.

But it's not very satisfying to me. It doesn't explain how he gets to keep being a paladin after committing evil acts.

Also, yes, Idle will totally get +7 against rabbits with that axe. I fully expect the axe to be used by or on her or by or on another person who spun the wheel.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:45 pm

Okay, lets make a game of this... by setting "HUMAN" as 1 and continuing clockwise, we get the species on the wheel assigned to d20 results.

1- HUMAN
2- HILL GIANT
3- ANGEL
4- CAT
5- DWARF
6- TROLL
7- RABBIT
8- TITAN
9- SPIDER
10- DOG
11- MOUSE
12- ORC
13- DEMON
14- FAIRY
15- DRAGON
16- KOBOLD
17- ELF
18- GNOME
19- GOBLIN
20- VAMPIRE

Roll twice and post your new hybrid form below.

_: 1D20 = [3] = 3
1D20 = [8] = 8

I'd be a human with features of an angelic titan... possibly pretty good. I'd imagine that would mean I'd be massive with a tiny set of wings and a bit of glow about me.

I wonder if Idle was always a goblin/rabbit, or if Thunt made up the wheel and rolled for her...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Moroser
Of Few Words

Post by Moroser » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:20 am

askstoomuch wrote:another info dump, come on I want something to happen already
+1. Too much exposition in the recent updates.
SpellsBedly wrote:Also, yes, Idle will totally get +7 against rabbits with that axe. I fully expect the axe to be used by or on her or by or on another person who spun the wheel.
Yeah, Thunt wouldn't incert such a detail just for fun. But I do hope Idle won't have to fight our goblins.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:14 am

_: 1D20 = [14] = 14
1D20 = [2] = 2

Hell yes, Fairy Hill Giant. *stompy flap flap*

Lady Dawn
Whispers Softly

Post by Lady Dawn » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:44 am

Gnome and ....vampire!
Damn...I'm a midget vampire with a big nose...
Don't laugh at my nose or I'll bite you!!

Oooh let's roll for my guinea pigs too.
My female guinea pig B'Elanna gets.....spider....and elf
The male, Shakiro, gets......demon and...fairy.
Oh great, now I have a drider with a guinea pig upper body on spider legs who casts spells and a horned and winged guinea pig who flaps all around the room either setting stuff on fire or making them sparkly.

thesilence
Speaks Quietly

Post by thesilence » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:48 am

FailsWildly wrote:
RocketScientist wrote:Would've been funny if she just kept getting elf.
Her elf features would just become more and more defined until she looked creepy I guess.
A brilliant answer to this interesting question. We may well include the Wheel of Species in our next D&D game, simply for the sake of enabling such outcomes. (Now this poster is attempting to imagine a human who benefits from the same effect; we suspect the result would be either or both of "primordially terrifying" and "mesmerizingly erotic".)
I'm a little confused at why she looks so offended to have been asked as to what she is.
Speaking as someone who considers the question entirely inoffensive, and might once have been tempted to blurt it out in casual conversation when looking at a person of indeterminate ethnicity, profession, or any other category...bitter experience has taught this poster that almost everyone takes it in the worst possible way. It seems almost impossible to ask someone such a thing as "hey, are you Chinese", without them immediately assuming that your intention is to stereotype them as a racist caricature the moment you have established the accurate label for them. I mean, if you weren't planning to jump to conclusions about the person and pigeonhole them as some insulting cartoon, why would you even care what category they fall into? Such seems to be the prevailing logic in the modern cultural climate, at least in the USA (and nations heavily influenced by its values and prejudices, which is rapidly approaching "all of them" in the Internet age).
ÔÇ£I would give no thought of what the world might say of me, if I could only transmit to posterity the reputation of an honest man.ÔÇØ --Sam Houston

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:03 pm

Moroser wrote:
askstoomuch wrote:another info dump, come on I want something to happen already
+1. Too much exposition in the recent updates.
For webcomic readers, patience is more than a virtue. It's a necessity!

This has been a character-insertion scene in a D&D game. There's a certain amount of background information we have to be given for the coming story to make sense. The new characters know it. Forgath has to learn it. There aren't many options available...

1. Character monologue? Boring. Thunt made fun of that already the first time these players entered the game.

2. Show don't tell? Please, no! At the rate of one page a week, this much info would take months or years to show in a flashback, and meanwhile all the main plot lines and all the characters we already care about would be left in limbo. It's necessary to get this in, but it's Background, not Story.

3. Work each detail into the story as it comes up? Yikes. Readers would be complaining that Thunt had started pulling new facts out of a hat every time his characters got themselves into a fix. There'd be justifiable mutters of 'deus ex machina'. It would slow down the action every time he had to do it. And until all the moments came up there'd be a lot of needless mystery in our minds about the new characters, interfering with our understanding of them, and generating many misinterpretations.

4. Infodump conversation. Best choice, here. Especially when you consider the meta level of the story. Have one of the new characters, who knows it, explain it quickly in a one-on-one conversation with the old character who doesn't, and at the same time have the new character banter with the old one and show us more about her nature. Yes, she is doing it a bit clumsily... why would she, in-character, go into all that detail about what went wrong with Junior just then, when she doesn't even know Junior exists? It can only be because the DM required the player to get this info into the game right now. At the meta level, the clumsiness works because if the player is who I suspect he is, he shouldn't be too adroit about it.

TL;DR - Yes, this has been info-dump-y -- for Reasons. It's over. Things are going to start moving now.
► Show Spoiler

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:47 pm

Oh, hell.

_: 1D20 = [10] = 10
1D20 = [4] = 4

I'm a DogCat? Seriously?

I'm allergic to dogs.

At least I'm not buttbutt. (<-Catdog reference.)