November 26, 2015: Multicolored Forgath

Discuss the comic here!
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Re: November 26, 2015: Multicolored Forgath

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:54 pm

Yes because he totally intended to offend or cause contraversy in spite of him saying he does not wish to. :roll:
Thunt wrote:It's not my intention to offend anyone or cause controversy, I just want to tell the story that I enjoy telling.

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:25 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:Yes because he totally intended to offend or cause controversy in spite of him saying he does not wish to.
Thunt wrote:It's not my intention to offend anyone or cause controversy, I just want to tell the story that I enjoy telling.
...what? Oh.

It took me a moment, Burns, to realize that what you wrote is the exact opposite of what you meant. Next time please include this, for the unwary! :roll:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:42 pm

Sorry i forgot sarcasm/being a smartass does not translate well on the internets. I edited it in So others so t get confused

SpellsBedly
Of Few Words

Post by SpellsBedly » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:37 am

thesilence wrote:We disagree. We do not seek to see "sexual abuse" depicted, but rather we are much less eager to label things as "sexual abuse" than many others are. When those readers have flounced away in a huff, we will remain, glad to appreciate the genius with which Thunt tells a story that many do not have the stomach to listen to.
I never thought I would one day see someone be an elitist about enjoying the rarefied pleasure of rape as comedy. It's a funny combination.

(This doesn't make the opinion invalid of course, as you'll notice this post doesn't counter any of it. For my actual opinion on the matter see my earlier posts.)

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:19 am

Scroll back a ways (mid-July ish, iirc) and you can enjoy reading thesilence making much the same argument about the artistic merits of child abuse and animal torture, if you're a fan of funny combinations.

And I mean funny weird not funny ha ha. Spoiler: it wasn't actually an enjoyable read.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:25 pm

In this case it's much about context though. Like THunt's writing or not, his public display has combined his own personal view of the world and how the world should be on and into the comic. He has explained why he did certain things about the comic. That makes the story more real and less fiction: instead of our own interpretation we get a large portion of THunt's interpretation in the context of the story. And he is super serious about all this. So to treat the one subject that you apparently take so incredibly seriously that you have to explain it and leave little to no room to interpretation, then yes, being all frivolous in the same story about the same subject (plotwise, not characterwise) is indeed in poor taste if you ask me.

Thesilence, I agree with you that every single thing, as horrendous as it may be, is a valid event or plot point in a story. Although the context of this is very, very important. The movie Watchmen (sorry folks, didn't read the graphic novel) had child abuse, rape and murder in its story. It worked for me because even though the story contained many humorous moments, the traumatic things that happened served a purpose. The surrounding humor didn't do anything to trivialize the crimes, and it was very much clear that what was happening was very severe. The way this situation with the curse walk is presented trivializes rape, and I am quite sure that's the last thing THunt wants to do. Maybe it'll get turned around as the story develops, I certainly hope so.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:35 pm

THunt mentioned in the patreon forum that his curse is vital to the plot and the reasonings behind it will become clear.

I think that a single page at a time on this subject leaves to much time for us to speculate on reasonings and not enough time to see the whole picture.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:37 pm

Am I the only person who didn't like Watchmen? I thought it was boring in parts, and overly disturbing in other parts, and it didn't make up for either of those things with parts I enjoyed. Plus it put all kinds of negative associations in my head as far as Jeffrey Dean Morgan. I think he acted those scenes a bit too... thoroughly? Can't even look at him now without cringing. Ugh. Oh, well. Maybe he'll play someone likable one day, and I'll get over it. I got over Aaron Eckhart's performance from In the Company of Men, so hypothetically anything can happen.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:18 pm

Watchmen (Director's Cut) is easily the best movie Zack Snyder ever made, and my favorite movie to have 0 light-heartedness; this is coming from someone who passionately loves the concept of comedy and despises nearly every Snyder movie so far. (The owls were good, too.) From what I can tell, his only talent is adapting literature to movies and that's only worth doing when Frank Miller isn't involved; unfortunately, Zack Snyder is a huge Frank Miller fan.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Xavier78 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:34 pm

RocketScientist wrote:Am I the only person who didn't like Watchmen? I thought it was boring in parts, and overly disturbing in other parts, and it didn't make up for either of those things with parts I enjoyed. Plus it put all kinds of negative associations in my head as far as Jeffrey Dean Morgan. I think he acted those scenes a bit too... thoroughly? Can't even look at him now without cringing. Ugh. Oh, well. Maybe he'll play someone likable one day, and I'll get over it. I got over Aaron Eckhart's performance from In the Company of Men, so hypothetically anything can happen.
No. I hated the movie and the Comic.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:14 am

BuildsLegos wrote:Watchmen (Director's Cut) is easily the best movie Zack Snyder ever made, and my favorite movie to have 0 light-heartedness.
"Need to go to the bathroom"

Besides that, I thought the film was fine. It isn't the same as the comic, but as long as it can stand on its own as art then I have no quarrel with it - same as V for Vendetta. Simple fact is that things need to be changed for a film audience, since you don't have the time to set up days of foreshadowing or clues. I even thought the ending fit it better than the comic's.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:15 am

I heard from a lot of people that they disliked Watchmen RS, you're most definitely not alone :)

Could've picked any number of other movies for my example, but I figured Watchmen would be one of the better known ones among us nerds.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

thesilence
Speaks Quietly

Post by thesilence » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:48 am

Unsurprisingly, we have more to say on the Controversial topic of this update (specifically in response to statements made by nikohl and Spells Bedly). We have therefore said our piece here. Follow the thread if you dare. Don't, if you prefer. It makes little difference to us.

And Watchmen was a great movie made from an almost un-filmable comic; we appreciate it profoundly. We would agree that the ending is better than in the comic (being less convoluted and more relatable to reality). But then, we thought "Man of Steel" was okay, being entirely consistent with the modern characterization of Superman, and suffering only from some sloppiness in plot and some very bad casting choices. Overall, we think Zack Snyder is a good filmmaker for the most part.
ÔÇ£I would give no thought of what the world might say of me, if I could only transmit to posterity the reputation of an honest man.ÔÇØ --Sam Houston

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:50 pm

I didn't like V for Vendetta, either. "You cut my hair. ... And tortured me!" Um...? Glad to see you've got your priorities in order, then. I liked Stephen Fry and the girl from the toilet paper note. But that's pretty much all I liked about that movie.

*Googles Zack Snyder* I liked 300. Never saw any of his other movies. Been meaning to get around to watching Dawn of the Dead, though.