22 Oct 2015: Not your business.

Discuss the comic here!
Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

22 Oct 2015: Not your business.

Post by Krulle » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:15 am

http://www.goblinscomic.org/10222015/

Aww, cute.

Whom will we see when Big Ears gets close?
But then, it was never intended to let Big Ears orientation show in the comic.

Edited to add the transcription:
http://www.goblinscomic.org/10222015/ wrote:
► Show Spoiler
sketch of panel 10, error in panel 1; unshaded image
edit: new permalink (fully shaded)
edit: title date changed
Last edited by Krulle on Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Talos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Re: 21 Oct 2015: In love?

Post by Talos » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:20 am

I guess it is unusual for goblins to fall in love. It wasn't assumed that Thaco was in love with Complain's mother. As in, the question had to be asked, and Thaco won't even give a clear answer.

Anyone also notice how Ears hasn't turned his armor back on yet? Either it's more comfortable without it (although he never turned it off in peaceful areas before), or there is a greater plot-related reason for it.
Last edited by Talos on Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: 21 Oct 2015: Not your business.

Post by Krulle » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:27 am

After having done the transcription, I changed the title.

Also, my answer has been given. While BE may have liked someone very much, he thinks it does not yet have amounted to true love, or trueseeing.

But it is a wonderful image of Kin. I like that picture very much.

Also, regarding the fault of the gloved fingers: it's on this page too (2 pages ago).

illocust
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by illocust » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:36 am

Hey is it just me,or has the eye nearest kind shape shifted to look a bit like it has the scar around Min Maxes injured eye? It's not exact, but it's definitely changed since we first saw it.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:57 am

illocust wrote:Hey is it just me,or has the eye nearest kind shape shifted to look a bit like it has the scar around Min Maxes injured eye? It's not exact, but it's definitely changed since we first saw it.
GC-yourKin.png
I don't see "it", but the size seems to have shifted slightly. And nice how Kin's tail is hugging the left eye....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Orzahn
Likes Puppies
UStream Username: Orzahn

Post by Orzahn » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:59 am

When was Big Ears orientation ever confirmed? I know there was a whole speculation page on it a while back, and Thunt had said there is a(or are) Gay character(s) but when was it ever stated? Also am I the only one who thinks One-Eye should be seen with Big Ears near it?
Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Jake: Hit it.

Eaglem
Remains Silent

Post by Eaglem » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:28 am

I really hope something like this happens...

*** Wild Speculation/Spoilers ***
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:32 am

illocust wrote:Hey is it just me,or has the eye nearest kind [I assume you mean Kin, not kind] shape shifted to look a bit like it has the scar around Min Maxes injured eye? It's not exact, but it's definitely changed since we first saw it.
Okay, after some uncolouring and un-shading, and a bit of proportional resizing, I got this to compare:
It really looks like simple copy-and-paste of the main elements of the pillar.

mertol
Whispers Softly

Post by mertol » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:09 am

A bit of speculation:
Maybe on the "eyes" pillar they can see their love but on the other pillars they can experience it with other senses. For example on the "nose" pillar they can smell them.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:05 am

It was suggested on Patreon that there's one for hate, one for happiness, one for despair etc.

Also, I still think MinMax is too open about things. We saw him broken in the Maw earlier, and it's been a scant few hours since - I think it should still be too painful for him to talk about, but Thunt can still get his thoughts across using facial expressions. Right now, it feels like Thunt is trying too hard to lighten things up but as a side effect, he's undoing the impact of the drama and making it cheaper.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:19 am

Glemp wrote:It was suggested on Patreon that there's one for hate, one for happiness, one for despair etc.

Also, I still think MinMax is too open about things. We saw him broken in the Maw earlier, and it's been a scant few hours since - I think it should still be too painful for him to talk about, but Thunt can still get his thoughts across using facial expressions. Right now, it feels like Thunt is trying too hard to lighten things up but as a side effect, he's undoing the impact of the drama and making it cheaper.
Personally, I kind of agree. But that "I'm in love with your mom" joke was good enough to make it okay with me. Also, this comic isn't a drama, it technically still is a comedy. Kind of. Sometimes.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:45 am

SamWiser wrote:
Glemp wrote:It was suggested on Patreon that there's one for hate, one for happiness, one for despair etc.

Personally, I kind of agree. But that "I'm in love with your mom" joke was good enough to make it okay with me. Also, this comic isn't a drama, it technically still is a comedy. Kind of. Sometimes.
Right, and I can expect some comedy from other characters, like father/son stuff from Thac0 and Complains - Thac0's over his trauma in Brassmoon, and a little boasting about their one big successful adventure so far isn't a bad idea. But I think Thunt overdid it on the drama so every character in GAMP's got a reason to be sad (Kin, torture, Chief), and that made the impact all the more impactful when it happened, but he's mishandling the cooldown afterwards. You can't just make Complains have a good cry and then go back to joking, that's not how people work. Of course we need comedy so this doesn't become IN THE GRIM DARK PAST THERE IS ONLY WAR AND DEATH, but right now isn't the best time. If Thunt wants to lighten things up, we can cut back to Idle/Bowst or Dies or even an interlude with some characters we left behind like the MAP.

Mindlink
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Mindlink » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:25 pm

Glemp wrote: You can't just make Complains have a good cry and then go back to joking, that's not how people work. .
Hey, don't speak for all people. That's EXACTLY how I work!

Kamos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Kamos » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:11 pm

Sometimes I do both. AT THE SAME TIME.

While I can understand where you're coming from Glemp the story has to move forward and I don't think anyone wants to spend half a year moping around the issues.
Plus they're D&D adventurers. This is about how most handle loss.
ImageImage Feed the beast please.

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:48 pm

Orzahn wrote:When was Big Ears orientation ever confirmed? I know there was a whole speculation page on it a while back, and Thunt had said there is a(or are) Gay character(s) but when was it ever stated? Also am I the only one who thinks One-Eye should be seen with Big Ears near it?
Thunt confirmed it

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:00 pm

I would have titled this strip: Motherlover ;)
► Show Spoiler

Talos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Talos » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:07 pm

Orzahn wrote:When was Big Ears orientation ever confirmed? I know there was a whole speculation page on it a while back, and Thunt had said there is a(or are) Gay character(s) but when was it ever stated? Also am I the only one who thinks One-Eye should be seen with Big Ears near it?
Big Ears can be gay and not love One-Eye. It is possible for gays to have friends who are male but not be in love with them. Just as it is possible for straight men to have women who are friends but not be in love with them. Plus, One-Eye wasn't necessarily gay, to my knowledge. Just Ears. Mind you, he's probably letting the tribe down. Odds are they'd want a strong warrior to have children. Not so much for his ears. Of course, it is possible to just have children for the tribe's sake, but that's another cultural issue entirely, one not touched on here.

Akon16997
Remains Silent

Post by Akon16997 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:11 am

kida wrote:
Thunt confirmed it
How does this work? I may be wrong, but wasn't it Big Ears who wanted more women in the war camp?

Orzahn
Likes Puppies
UStream Username: Orzahn

Post by Orzahn » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:21 am

Talos wrote:
Big Ears can be gay and not love One-Eye. It is possible for gays to have friends who are male but not be in love with them. Just as it is possible for straight men to have women who are friends but not be in love with them. Plus, One-Eye wasn't necessarily gay, to my knowledge. Just Ears. Mind you, he's probably letting the tribe down. Odds are they'd want a strong warrior to have children. Not so much for his ears. Of course, it is possible to just have children for the tribe's sake, but that's another cultural issue entirely, one not touched on here.
Yeah, I get that, but One-Eye's death motivated him to take the (not all to easy) path of a paladin, it would seem like a thematically nice thing for One-Eye to have been more than a friend, at least to Big Ears :)
Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Jake: Hit it.

LarsenSan
Mutters to Themself

Re: 22 Oct 2015: Not your business.

Post by LarsenSan » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:13 am

I just realized they call Kin a "serpent-folk" instead of a "yuan-ti". Just sayin'

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:34 am

LarsenSan wrote:I just realized they call Kin a "serpent-folk" instead of a "yuan-ti". Just sayin'
Visually similar, but legally distinct.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:28 pm

Does the GAP even know the name of the race ("Yuan-ti")?

ETA: Chief knew, but the race name has never been mentioned near the others...

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:55 pm

Krulle wrote:Does the GAP even know the name of the race ("Yuan-ti")?

ETA: Chief knew, but the race name has never been mentioned near the others...
[shrugs] I think monster names are one of those things NPCs in the Thuntverse just know, like the levels and challenge ratings of whoever they're fighting.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:31 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:
LarsenSan wrote:I just realized they call Kin a "serpent-folk" instead of a "yuan-ti". Just sayin'
Yes, wasn't Thunt planning on going back and changing everything to serpent folk, because Yuan-ti is Wizards of the Coast's property, and not freely usable?

thesilence
Speaks Quietly

Post by thesilence » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:38 pm

We considered the possibility of Talos's interpretation (that goblin parent-couples default to being loveless, so that an exception is noteworthy). But it also seems plausible to us that this is simply about Complains' perception of his father - perhaps Thaco hasn't spoken of his wife since her death, and Complains always assumed that this meant he was hard-of-heart and no longer cared, or at least had numbed himself completely to the pain of having cared and lost. So the revelation that the love is still there would surprise Complains, because it forces him to re-evaluate how he perceived his father.
Synch wrote:I would have titled this strip: Motherlover ;)
Our brain went at first to a drunken-style "I love you man" (probably rendered unrecognizable if you substitute "goblin" for accuracy).
RocketScientist wrote:
spiderwrangler wrote:
Yes, wasn't Thunt planning on going back and changing everything to serpent folk, because Yuan-ti is Wizards of the Coast's property, and not freely usable?
Presumably the need was obviated. We have observed similar usages in other comics (for example Rusty & Co refers to "YT" the snake-woman as a "lamia", but describes a certain magic item as the Python of Merrshaulk in the same storyline, which also contains obviously recognizable Slaads, and an earlier storyline named "Illithit" something features what are clearly mind flayers, right down to the brain-eating). While it is apparent that Wizards is happy to be litigious, it seems as though "burden of proof" has to be extremely clear for an actual takedown to occur...likely anyone who could afford to take their case to court would win a clear demonstration of fair use, so the issue of copyright C&Ds largely amounts to bullying, and seems to fail if any defense is attempted, however expensive and frustrating the fight may prove).
ÔÇ£I would give no thought of what the world might say of me, if I could only transmit to posterity the reputation of an honest man.ÔÇØ --Sam Houston