Discuss the comic here!
Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles
UStream Username: Zathyr

Re: October 1, 2015: Your Mom

Post by Zathyr » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:57 am

Maybe her name is Aco.

:halofall:
The more colloquial meaning of "To hit" for Thaco, of course. He'd hit that.
Image And always make sure your dragons are happy little dragons.

jbrecken
Whispers Softly

Post by jbrecken » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:20 pm

THAC0 dates back to an older edition, so maybe she also dates back to an older edition. He never wanted to be a player class, so she must be a monster like him. She's carrying two books, so that means we could call her a monster with two manuals. That can only be a hint that she comes from the Monster Manual II. What kind of being would be in the Monster Manual II yet look like a goblin? Clearly she's a barghest, explaining where ComplainsOfNames gets his bad attitude - he's a literal SOB.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:21 am

That's... the bestest explanation and guess I've read so far.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:33 am

Glemp wrote:Well, in all seriousness, Thac0 wasn't named for anything (unless his THAC0 is especially high or something), and assuming he and his...wife? Mate? Goblin kissy-buddy? Anyway, assuming they're around the same age, if he didn't have had a teller available to name him, she wouldn't either.
All the other older goblins had standard names, though: Taps, Asks Nonsense, Young and Beautiful (who named herself). I would guess that his name is for the fact that he's the last old school person standing.

23AHEH
Remains Silent

Post by 23AHEH » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:38 pm

But surely her name is going to be something Complains of Names would complain about, so we can rule out any reasonable or complimentary name.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:38 pm

The thing about Young & Beautiful is that when she named herself, she probably was.

(That's the one thing I regret about the Younglings story; we didn't get to see her back then.)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

11 October 2015: Your Mom

Post by Krulle » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:36 pm

Shaded and fully coloured.
The swords now have colour:

also: perma-link for first post: http://www.goblinscomic.org/10112015/
And new date for title: 11 October 2015

nublus93
Remains Silent

Post by nublus93 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:42 am

I do wonder what is up with that. Also are we ever going to get a check back in with the other goblin with the troll friend?
I would love to see what will happen with him and Fox :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:16 am

Troll
Orc
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Shax
Remains Silent

Post by Shax » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:19 pm

Well, checked goblins today and found I could view both the unpolished and polished versions of the page side by side.
All that stuff REALLY makes a difference. Nice art man!

JustRight
Eleventy-one
UStream Username: Frank Erickson, M.D.

Post by JustRight » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:45 am

I think the eye highlights are a little too bright - a couple shades more transparent would be just as effective. Overall very good shading -- why I keep coming back; that and the story.
"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble"
- Sam Spade

Mindlink
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Mindlink » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:01 am

jbrecken wrote:
Mindlink wrote:
jbrecken wrote:The pillar is covered in eyes, so maybe it shows you something you want to see, and the one covered in mouths tells you what you want to hear.

It's also nice that MotherOfComplains carries her books the "manly" way with one in each hand at her sides and not the "girly" way stacked together and held to her chest with both hands.
It's not "girly" or "manly" you are desrcibing, it's physics!
If you are only carrying a couple of books, like her, it's EASIER to hold them like that than in front of you,
likewise, if you're carrying much more than that, then it's IMPOSSIBLE to carry them like that, and you have to carry them in front towards your chest.
There is an observed difference in book carrying techniques between genders. Here's a scientific paper on it: http://www.amsciepub.com/doi/abs/10.246 ... alCode=pms
You can write a paper on anything, doesn't make it true. Show me a way to carry more than two-three books the "manly" way, and for that matter, how to carry less than three books the "girly" way.

jbrecken
Whispers Softly

Post by jbrecken » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:02 pm

Mindlink wrote:You can write a paper on anything, doesn't make it true. Show me a way to carry more than two-three books the "manly" way, and for that matter, how to carry less than three books the "girly" way.
Some easily googled stock images:

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:22 pm

The guy is going to drop those books in 3... 2... 1...

Just sayin'.

...and the woman makes me wonder if the air conditioning is cranked up too high for her comfort. She's hugging a pocket of warm air between her and that book.

Those are posed stock photos of 1950s stereotypes, anyway. The world has changed. Nobody carries books either way any more, not as a regular thing. Wander near a real high school or university and observe. Or just ride public transit. What nearly all book-laden students use these days, male or female, is a backpack.
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:29 am

Much healthier for your back too.

Mindlink
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Mindlink » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:46 am

Sessine wrote:The guy is going to drop those books in 3... 2... 1...
Yes! Exactly! No way that he'd be able to carry those like that for more than a minute, before they start slipping out.
And the woman isn't exactly CARRYING, just holding it, it'd be uncomfortable to walk like that.

Here's the first image I found when googling "librarian carrying books", BTW:
It's a dude, and I'd really like to see anyone try to carry that amount under their arms.
And googling just "carrying stack of books" brings up the picture of the dude with the books under his arms, but it's hit number 37. All the previous pictures shows an equal amount of guys and gals, all carrying them in front.
It's not "modern" either, look at this great poster I found from WWI:

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Re: 11 October 2015: Your Mom

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:08 pm

Krulle wrote:Shaded and fully coloured.
The swords now have colour:

also: perma-link for first post: http://www.goblinscomic.org/10112015/
And new date for title: 11 October 2015
Updated. Thanks, Krulle.

Talos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Talos » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:27 am

RocketScientist wrote:
Glemp wrote:Well, in all seriousness, Thac0 wasn't named for anything (unless his THAC0 is especially high or something), and assuming he and his...wife? Mate? Goblin kissy-buddy? Anyway, assuming they're around the same age, if he didn't have had a teller available to name him, she wouldn't either.
All the other older goblins had standard names, though: Taps, Asks Nonsense, Young and Beautiful (who named herself). I would guess that his name is for the fact that he's the last old school person standing.

No idea what Complain's mother was named, but it might be an indicator of something. "Reads Books" would fit, but it sounds too obvious. If I had to guess, it would be something fit for a female who seems to be pretty and smart, and probably not vain. Not sure how "Young and Beautiful" would have named herself, if she was named not long after her own birth.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: October 11, 2015: Your Mom

Post by Krulle » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:48 am

Panel 3: she did name herself.

I assume that once she has shown fortune telling capabilities and has become the new fortune teller of the tribe, she has the right to rename everyone according to her visions.

So, whenever a new fortune teller has been elected/chosen/howeverItWorks, the clan members receive new names, at least some of them.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Re: October 11, 2015: Your Mom

Post by nikohl » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:46 am

Krulle wrote: So, whenever a new fortune teller has been elected/chosen/howeverItWorks, the clan members receive new names, at least some of them.
Maybe Thaco was never renamed because her vision showed that he'd have to be renamed "Chief"...and we all know that story.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:20 pm

Talos wrote:Not sure how "Young and Beautiful" would have named herself, if she was named not long after her own birth.
There you go, expecting it to "make sense."

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:17 am

RocketScientist wrote:
Talos wrote:Not sure how "Young and Beautiful" would have named herself, if she was named not long after her own birth.
There you go, expecting it to "make sense."
Go on, do it properly. :P