October 11, 2015: Your Mom

Discuss the comic here!
HerdsCats
Of Few Words
UStream Username: HerdsCats
Location: Somewhere between a tub and a sharp pointy set of teeth

Re: October 1, 2015: Your Mom

Post by HerdsCats » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:24 am

Before we saw her picture, I think that would have been a reasonable expectation. However, now that we have a picture of her in the dungeon crawl, and she's being depicted with books, we have reason to believe her to be a spell caster, and thus a member of the war camp.

I do think you're right in that the village probably rotates it's warriors out though. Because otherwise they'd be boned once a character like MinMax shows up and slaughters everybody. Plus, you'd want some warriors at the home village just in case of emergencies.
My name is HerdsCats. I do the impossible, improbable, and downright unpleasant on a daily basis. How may I help you today?

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:14 am

hypothetical wrote:In a comic that has lasted years, and has had some funny as hell lines, "What are you doing over there?"...."Your Mom."...may be the funniest line yet.
Eh, I didn't like it. Not because it's "offensive" or anything (and he's Complains' dad, so doing his mother is what he does anyway), but because those kinds of jokes never work. It's painfully obvious that that isn't what he meant because it isn't in his character to make those jokes, and the GAP's (GAMP's?) reactions read as over dramatic. Not to mention, I believe that the GAP are NPCs so I don't like pop culture references from them any way.
nikohl wrote:I doubt it was an intentional -joke- from Minmax, but I also doubt it was a typo. I imagine he thinks Thaco's name is Taco. Not a difficult mistake to make when you've only heard some guy's name a couple of times in your life and you're demonstrably low-int. :shrug:
This is Min"panda lung"Max. Mispronouncing things isn't unheard of.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:00 am

Glemp wrote:
nikohl wrote:I doubt it was an intentional -joke- from Minmax, but I also doubt it was a typo. I imagine he thinks Thaco's name is Taco. Not a difficult mistake to make when you've only heard some guy's name a couple of times in your life and you're demonstrably low-int. :shrug:
This is Min"panda lung"Max. Mispronouncing things isn't unheard of.
Yes, or that. My only point was that it probably wasn't a typo like thesilence had surmised it was.

illocust
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by illocust » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:48 am

I have to own up. For at least two years after starting to read Goblins, I thought Thaco's name was pronounced Taco. I'm betting Thunt was probably making a joke about youngsters like me not knowing how to pronounce the old terms.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:54 am

In my head I also pronounced it "Tahc-co"...
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:35 pm

Image Achievement Unlocked: Elder Nerd

I wish this achievement came with pointy elf ears.

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Xavier78 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:32 pm

THAC0 (Th-A-Co)= To Hit Armor Class Zero

That is a Zero at the end of his name if anyone wasn't clear on that. Well, I'm not sure Thunt spells it that way, but in D&D it is.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:50 pm

The acronym is spelled with a zero. The name is spelled with the letter O.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

GodTom
Remains Silent
UStream Username: Godtom

Post by GodTom » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:03 am

When did Complains get a new sword?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:22 am

The page is still unfinished.

But indeed, the sword looks very different.
Here he tosses the well-known +1 sword away, and here he seems to be holding the light-blue one already in his hands. No explanation where it came from, or how he took hold of it. Here he seems to hold something in his hands (panel 10), but it is not really recognisable. And I haven't seen him "fishing" in the waters to find his sword (or a sword).
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

jbrecken
Whispers Softly

Post by jbrecken » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:48 am

The pillar is covered in eyes, so maybe it shows you something you want to see, and the one covered in mouths tells you what you want to hear.

It's also nice that MotherOfComplains carries her books the "manly" way with one in each hand at her sides and not the "girly" way stacked together and held to her chest with both hands.

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: dbg_

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:55 am

Krulle wrote:The page is still unfinished.

But indeed, the sword looks very different.
Here he tosses the well-known +1 sword away, and here he seems to be holding the light-blue one already in his hands. No explanation where it came from, or how he took hold of it. Here he seems to hold something in his hands (panel 10), but it is not really recognisable. And I haven't seen him "fishing" in the waters to find his sword (or a sword).
He still had his sword while in the ropes. Look closely on the last panel.
He took the new sword from Thaco between this page and this. He was probably just checking it out, but everyone rushed to help Minmax/Fumbles.

On the topic of MinMax spelling Thaco's name incorrectly, common guys, he only heard it for the first time in this page. And when did he NOT misspell something he hears for the first time? :meh:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:04 am

Well, he's not spelling anything.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Knucklekraken
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Knucklekraken » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:54 am

He may be intentionally getting their names wrong. His "Big... Yellow" comment almost seems to indicate that he almost got the name correct accidentally and had to struggle to fix it somehow. It might be another tradeoff, like +1 to hit for the ability to remember the names of monsters. It may also be a perception thing, as by the time he started using Kin's name he already saw her as a person.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:35 pm

Yoooo Knuckle, haven't seen you in a while! How are you?

I don't think MinMax thinks as far as you give him credit for though ;)
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

Knucklekraken
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Knucklekraken » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:25 pm

I'm doing surprisingly well.

I'm not really suggesting that Minmax is thinking these things as much as I am suggesting his player is thinking of them. All those rules must be hard to keep track of. You'd expect a slip up on occasion.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:23 am

I'm hoping Names' mother had adventurer levels of her own and was some kind of epic wizard. This universe has a real dearth of spellcasters who aren't evil assholes.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

Mindlink
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Mindlink » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:54 am

jbrecken wrote:The pillar is covered in eyes, so maybe it shows you something you want to see, and the one covered in mouths tells you what you want to hear.

It's also nice that MotherOfComplains carries her books the "manly" way with one in each hand at her sides and not the "girly" way stacked together and held to her chest with both hands.
It's not "girly" or "manly" you are desrcibing, it's physics!
If you are only carrying a couple of books, like her, it's EASIER to hold them like that than in front of you,
likewise, if you're carrying much more than that, then it's IMPOSSIBLE to carry them like that, and you have to carry them in front towards your chest.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:13 pm

Liesmith wrote:I'm hoping Names' mother had adventurer levels of her own and was some kind of epic wizard. This universe has a real dearth of spellcasters who aren't evil assholes.

It seemed clear that Fumbles was the first to suggest the idea to anyone in the GAP, and it was anathema to them. They adopted it out of desperation, and the goblins in Duv's slave camp were mostly horrified and disgusted. Adventurers are the ones who thoughtlessly slaughter goblins for XP. If she's a spellcaster, the options are limited. The clan teller, separated from the clan, hiding it from the clan, or exiled from the clan. But she looks younger than Thaco here. I'm guessing she's dead, this is how she looked years ago, and the book is not magical.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

23AHEH
Remains Silent

Post by 23AHEH » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:09 pm

So what do you think Complains' mom's name was? I'm guessing it was Dies in Labor.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:14 pm

Holds Books?

JustRight
Eleventy-one
UStream Username: Frank Erickson, M.D.

Post by JustRight » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:05 am

Loves her Family
"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble"
- Sam Spade

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:40 am

Well, in all seriousness, Thac0 wasn't named for anything (unless his THAC0 is especially high or something), and assuming he and his...wife? Mate? Goblin kissy-buddy? Anyway, assuming they're around the same age, if he didn't have had a teller available to name him, she wouldn't either.

jbrecken
Whispers Softly

Post by jbrecken » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:16 am

Mindlink wrote:
jbrecken wrote:The pillar is covered in eyes, so maybe it shows you something you want to see, and the one covered in mouths tells you what you want to hear.

It's not "girly" or "manly" you are desrcibing, it's physics!
If you are only carrying a couple of books, like her, it's EASIER to hold them like that than in front of you,
likewise, if you're carrying much more than that, then it's IMPOSSIBLE to carry them like that, and you have to carry them in front towards your chest.
There is an observed difference in book carrying techniques between genders. Here's a scientific paper on it: http://www.amsciepub.com/doi/abs/10.246 ... alCode=pms

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:18 am

Her name is "Lives Long".
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler