September 6, 2015 Breaking the Ties

Discuss the comic here!
Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Re: September 6, 2015 Breaking the Ties

Post by Morgaln » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:19 am

Krulle wrote:This is a dangerous dungeon. I'm sure there will be more space with dead adventurers who can be looted, and/or even some dungeon-provided loot.
► Show Spoiler
In this post it was said that everyone would get loot from that particular room, not the dungeon overall. I think that's why people are confused.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:37 am

Then we are still in the same room.
I did not see a door anyway....
;)

(We can explain it all away. - And analyse it to death.)

(I did not remember the exact wording of the spoilerish information. And it is a retelling of what Thunt said during a drawinglive-stream.)
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

extrabigmehdi
Of Few Words

Post by extrabigmehdi » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:28 am

Great update, but the wait was long.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:53 am

Yeah, half the drawing time is spent for G:AR....
blogPost about Backers list wrote:Live boops.

These days, my time is split 50/50 between Goblins and drawing G:AR cards.
If you consider that, then the update speed is quite okay.... :)
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

HerdsCats
Of Few Words
UStream Username: HerdsCats
Location: Somewhere between a tub and a sharp pointy set of teeth

Post by HerdsCats » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:02 am

Not only that, but for at least 2 days Thunt was out of commission with an injured hand.
My name is HerdsCats. I do the impossible, improbable, and downright unpleasant on a daily basis. How may I help you today?

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: dbg_

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:08 pm

Morgaln wrote:
Krulle wrote:This is a dangerous dungeon. I'm sure there will be more space with dead adventurers who can be looted, and/or even some dungeon-provided loot.
► Show Spoiler
In this post it was said that everyone would get loot from that particular room, not the dungeon overall. I think that's why people are confused.
Just a note, though, those... eh, notes... where what my friend said he heard on stream, I haven't seen the stream myselft, so I don't know the exact wording Thunt used.

By the way, Complains was not just holding that sword when vines snapped, it was referenced that he still has it while talking to BE.

speakslittle
Of Few Words

Post by speakslittle » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:58 pm

Wait...
I don't understand Names using the new sword.

He drops his old sword in the water before the fight with thac0.
But in Panel 2 of Splying, he's found it. http://www.goblinscomic.org/04292015/
Then again in panel 4, he's holding what appears to be the same thing.

Then Thac0 loots this thing from a dead adventurer to test the theory. And...names just ditches his old sword for it? How does he know it's better?

Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles
UStream Username: Zathyr

Post by Zathyr » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:18 pm

He doesn't, unless it's some kind of self-identifying magic item. He was probably just looking at it when Fumbles got wrapped up in the ropes and Minmax tackled him out of the room and proceeded to fall down a cliff. The goblins, all being protective of Fumbles, rushed down after, not stopping to pick up anything they may have dropped like the old +1 sword. A bit foolhardy? Perhaps. Experienced adventurers would likely at least take a little time to set a rope first, or not all just jump down. They're just acting with their hearts.

But they don't seem to be under any immediate threat here, as far as we know, so even if they have to go chop down a tree and bring it back to the cliff's edge they could still get back up to that room. One or two of them could head back while the others poke around down there and remain in sight and shouting range.
Image And always make sure your dragons are happy little dragons.

dudecon
Remains Silent

Post by dudecon » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:47 pm

Just wanted to say that (despite the slight error with the layer order) the last panel is gorgeous! The yumyuck moss really sells it.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:48 am

dudecon wrote:Just wanted to say that (despite the slight error with the layer order) the last panel is gorgeous! The yumyuck moss really sells it.
I hadn't made the connection to it being yumyuck moss. It's not quite the same shade as yumyuck moss (back in the warcamp), but it's very close. It grows in dank caves - but it's "very rare".

Maybe Minmax could convince Ears to eat it. "Smells sweet. Like berries."

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:16 am

speakslittle wrote:Wait...
I don't understand Names using the new sword.

He drops his old sword in the water before the fight with thac0.
But in Panel 2 of Splying, he's found it. http://www.goblinscomic.org/04292015/
Then again in panel 4, he's holding what appears to be the same thing.

Then Thac0 loots this thing from a dead adventurer to test the theory. And...names just ditches his old sword for it? How does he know it's better?
Characters in the Thuntverse can sense stuff like that, like how Fumbles knew that he had Dodge and the rules in using it (despite misunderstanding them) after levelling up.

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:40 am

Zathyr wrote:He doesn't, unless it's some kind of self-identifying magic item. He was probably just looking at it when Fumbles got wrapped up in the ropes and Minmax tackled him out of the room and proceeded to fall down a cliff. The goblins, all being protective of Fumbles, rushed down after, not stopping to pick up anything they may have dropped like the old +1 sword. A bit foolhardy? Perhaps. Experienced adventurers would likely at least take a little time to set a rope first, or not all just jump down. They're just acting with their hearts.

But they don't seem to be under any immediate threat here, as far as we know, so even if they have to go chop down a tree and bring it back to the cliff's edge they could still get back up to that room. One or two of them could head back while the others poke around down there and remain in sight and shouting range.
That might be more difficult than it sounds. The incline of the slope as shown in panel four is somewhere around 80-90%. The top of the slope (see panel 3) looks more like 200%. Also, the drop at the end of the slope looks to be roughly twice the height of a goblin. Getting back up there might involve some serious climbing.

jokespoorly
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by jokespoorly » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:24 pm

What's with all the penises on the orange pillar?
► Show Spoiler
JP

Talos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Talos » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:10 pm

If I had to hazard a guess, maybe each pillar grants a bonus to a stat related to each body part displayed? Which makes me really glad that pillar is feet, not that other part.

Also, maybe Big Ears has his armor off so he can get a new suit?

Catmandont
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: Ajrimmerstu

Post by Catmandont » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:46 pm

Hmmmm.... I've a bad feeling about this.

I wonder if those pillars represent a 'harvested' body part, much like Kore is a gestalt of all the souls he's killed. Which means, there should be a fight soon! I hope...
"And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit." The Tick

Hey! Why are you reading this? It's bad for your eyes, and there's nothing to see here; no words of wit or sage like advice.... Nope, none of that crap... Still here? Well, I guess you can stay for a little while, but no touching. Ok, MAYBE a little bit of touching, but don't expect a kiss... Oh, and don't expect me to cuddle afterwards, either. This is purely physical in nature, and you can't REALLY want something serious after everything we've been through? Fine... 20 seconds of heavy petting, and that's IT! Annnnnnnd done...

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:07 am

But on the other hand, it could just be decorative like the face-parts on the Maze of Many tower (though yes, they were meant to be hints about the riddle too).

JustRight
Eleventy-one
UStream Username: Frank Erickson, M.D.

Post by JustRight » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:22 am

Looks to me like an assembly room or workshop for building creatures. The pillars are storage units for parts. We're just missing the mad scientist or wizard who does the assembling. A new character soon? :ugeek:
"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble"
- Sam Spade

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:33 am

Talos wrote:If I had to hazard a guess, maybe each pillar grants a bonus to a stat related to each body part displayed?
Or rends that body part from anytime who touches the pillar, absorbing it into the collective.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: dbg_

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:59 am

RidcullyJack wrote:
dudecon wrote:Just wanted to say that (despite the slight error with the layer order) the last panel is gorgeous! The yumyuck moss really sells it.
I hadn't made the connection to it being yumyuck moss. It's not quite the same shade as yumyuck moss (back in the warcamp), but it's very close. It grows in dank caves - but it's "very rare".

Maybe Minmax could convince Ears to eat it. "Smells sweet. Like berries."
Tarol said that it's yumyuck moss somewhere. I can dig up, where, if you want.

Talos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Talos » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:46 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:
Talos wrote:If I had to hazard a guess, maybe each pillar grants a bonus to a stat related to each body part displayed?
Or rends that body part from anytime who touches the pillar, absorbing it into the collective.
There's already enough mutilation in this to fill ten other stories. Enough should be enough at some point. Like, if there was a mutilation counter for Goblins, it would be in the triple digits by now.

Thaco's ear cut off. *ding*

Names partially turned into a wrathful demon. Not such a subtle metaphor there. *ding*

Fumbles gets the word "monster" carved into his head. *ding*

And so on...

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Xavier78 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:46 pm

I don't know how anyone is following what is going on. The last few comics have made my head hurt. Well, ever since Forgath fell of the bridge the comic has been a mess IMO. The way things have been laid out makes every scene confusing and messy. Not trying to be mean, just stating my opinion.

Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles
UStream Username: Zathyr

Post by Zathyr » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:15 pm

Is there anything in particular you don't understand?

Forgath fell off the bridge, was caught by kliks and kloks and gently lowered to the ground where he tried to figure out what was going on and met some other (variously cursed) folks down there at the bottom of the chasm.

Meanwhile...
Minmax and the surviving members of the GAP are in the dungeon known as the Depths of the Dragon's Maw. The GAP had been heading there as a shortcut to get to their village, but ultimately retreated there along with Minmax to get away from Kore. In the dungeon, there are many strange things: traps, secret doors, strange magics, all kinds of crazy stuff. The dungeons in D&D are really nothing at all like the relatively simple jail cells that real life dungeons were. They walked through some strange twisty passages, found a room with a trap, escaped the trap, rolled or ran down a steep slope and a short drop, and are currently in a rather large, even stranger chamber.
Image And always make sure your dragons are happy little dragons.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:50 am

Zathyr wrote:...They walked through some strange twisty passages, found a room with a trap, escaped the trap, rolled or ran down a steep slope and a short drop...
I'm inclined to agree that the action has moved very quickly, with not many panels used to convey a lot of different things. It has been hard to follow - but that's not new. Other high-action sequences have been hard to follow too.

It's not immediately clear what direction the ropes are pulling Minmax and Fumbles on the current page. It's not clear why the rest of the party immediately followed them down the steep slope. It's not clear why Complains has a new sword, where his old one went, or why Ears hasn't put his armour back on now that it's 'Later'.

Talos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Talos » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:14 am

RidcullyJack wrote:
Zathyr wrote:...They walked through some strange twisty passages, found a room with a trap, escaped the trap, rolled or ran down a steep slope and a short drop...
I'm inclined to agree that the action has moved very quickly, with not many panels used to convey a lot of different things. It has been hard to follow - but that's not new. Other high-action sequences have been hard to follow too.

It's not immediately clear what direction the ropes are pulling Minmax and Fumbles on the current page. It's not clear why the rest of the party immediately followed them down the steep slope. It's not clear why Complains has a new sword, where his old one went, or why Ears hasn't put his armour back on now that it's 'Later'.
Well, maybe Complains got one from one of the dead adventurers, and perhaps Ears either forgot about it or is more comfortable dressing in just his pants. Three of the four goblins there are barefoot and shirtless, after all.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:26 am

Xavier78 wrote:I don't know how anyone is following what is going on. The last few comics have made my head hurt. Well, ever since Forgath fell of the bridge the comic has been a mess IMO. The way things have been laid out makes every scene confusing and messy. Not trying to be mean, just stating my opinion.
No worries. It didn't come out sounding mean. You just sounded confused. Totally fair. If you (and other people) don't understand what's going on, that's fairly important to mention. :)