August 18, 2015 Watch for non-pointy sticks

Discuss the comic here!
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

August 18, 2015 Watch for non-pointy sticks

Post by WearsHats » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:46 pm

http://www.goblinscomic.org/08242015-2/

1. I've come to the depressing realization that I'm more of a paladin than Ears. How boring is that?

2. Those last couple panels remind anyone else of Minmax saving Kin from the trees in the MoM?

3. Yes, apparently with Fumbles around even non-pointy sticks are dangerous. (Perhaps even more dangerous than pointy sticks.)

4. Guesses on what's in the bottle?
Last edited by RocketScientist on Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed the link
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Re: August 18, 2015 Watch for non-pointy sticks

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:05 pm

Ahhhhhh, Fumbles. He could fumble laying down on the ground if the fate of the world was at stake...
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

LooksClosely
Whispers Softly

Post by LooksClosely » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:11 pm

Such a strong bond between MinMax and "kickaxo".

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:19 pm

That bond between them will not only help fumbles recover quickly, but let MM grow even more asa character.

YalaYalaGetDolla
Mutters to Themself

Post by YalaYalaGetDolla » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:24 pm

Big Ears being petty and Minmax saving a Goblin. Ahhhh, character development. :P

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:00 am

2: just a tiny bit. Maybe we got a bromance on our hands...

4: That's a bottle? I figured it would be some sort of good luck charm/talisman and/or a name tag (a la "this belongs to Gorak, the Lord of Rivers. If found, please return it to the Minotaur village at your earliest convenience"). :lol:
If it's a bottle, I'm guessing the contents are "elixir de Stephan Ürkel" (which would stop Fumbles fumbling, but also turn him into an arrogant Jerk).
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

HerdsCats
Of Few Words
UStream Username: HerdsCats
Location: Somewhere between a tub and a sharp pointy set of teeth

Post by HerdsCats » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:25 am

I can't say I really blame Ears for being a little buttface just then. It may have been 10 years ago for us, but for him, this guy just murdered a sizable portion of their population just a few weeks ago. A little schadenfreude is to be expected, especially considering that he didn't hurt him just for the sake of hurting him. He just didn't go out of his way to make MM's fall any easier.

Also, it looks like the laws governing Paladins aren't quite as stringent as in some other settings. Being petty isn't enough to make somebody lose their paladin levels, nor is telling little white lies.

I'm sure the last few panels were made to invoke the upside down tree room on purpose. At this point Minmax has lost everything, and he's not about to lose the one creature even willing to be his friend. The look on his face is "I'm going to do it right this time. I'm not losing another one."
My name is HerdsCats. I do the impossible, improbable, and downright unpleasant on a daily basis. How may I help you today?

Talos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Talos » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:47 am

That big-eared, lying, homosexual goblin paladin better reactivate that armor soon. No telling what danger is next. I'm guessing his paladin code doesn't penalize partial nudity either. No shirt, no shoes, no problems.

Kamos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Kamos » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:45 am

I'd say it's well within the range of the Asshole Paladin alignment.

ImageImage Feed the beast please.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:30 am

Is it really wise to enjoy the suffering of others when in the warden of a prison weakened by sadism?

HerdsCats
Of Few Words

Post by HerdsCats » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:41 pm

Well, since he /did/ just free the guy who slaughtered most of his friends, instead of leaving him up there to starve to death like all the other adventurers, I imagine it sort of cancels "enjoying it" out a little bit.
My name is HerdsCats. I do the impossible, improbable, and downright unpleasant on a daily basis. How may I help you today?

Caltera
Mutters to Themself

Post by Caltera » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:56 pm

Ok, now I'm scared for ears... letting names play with axe, commiting "evil act" like faking kill (names), lies and not caring... Someone recall the page he post before goblins came back? Somewhere the line "Oh god Ears, what have you done?". I thought ears was a rightfull paladin, but his action here... Wish it won't serve as a few exemple of a slow fall for ears releasing the demon of the axe... We all know thunt, he like to show things for a reason. Ears doesn't seems to care for the axe since some update now and that's quite a problem. Please make me be wrong thunt
French reader, sorry if my english isn't always OK

French Goblins Traductor

Argh Blargle
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Argh Blargle » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:44 pm

Minmax and Fumbles.

Totally heartwarming.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:51 pm

Don't forget tomstruggle really hard, Minmax.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Talos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Talos » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:59 pm

Well, he looks less like a paladin without the armor. And he isn't acting very paladin-like lately.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:40 pm

Don't read if you're easily offended
► Show Spoiler
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Talos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Talos » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:29 am

Anyone else think this is a setup for Big Ears to lose his axe? He might find another weapon in the dungeon, but without the armor that comes with it? Just a guess.

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: dbg_

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:56 am

I sure hope not
► Show Spoiler

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:51 am

am I the only one who thinks fumbles is getting seriously hurt/killed in the page ??

the rope could easily hook around his neck and with minmax pulling on him, snap over
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

Kamos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Kamos » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:16 pm

That would be like, the lamest death in Goblins, especially for a main character. So I doubt it.
ImageImage Feed the beast please.

HerdsCats
Of Few Words

Post by HerdsCats » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:48 pm

I don't know that there is a loop around his neck though. It looks to me like he's caught around the arm, and the torso, but that Minmax managed to intercept him before anything looped around his throat. The ones that would have gotten him there are now wrapped around MM's arm, and fumbles is smooshed against his chest but free to breathe either over his shoulder or under his arm. Or at least he will be once a few seconds pass and he realizes he even can breathe.

Talos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Talos » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:09 pm

Mild though it seems on the surface, this is a far cry from the "I will be a paladin and take on the risks so that others don't have to be" Big Ears from earlier.

If anything, the lighter clothes make him seem like he was "demoted" somehow.

HerdsCats
Of Few Words

Post by HerdsCats » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:04 pm

In what way? In universe time, it was only a few minutes to a few hours since ears volunteered to take on Kore to give the others time to open the entrance to the dragons maw. He was still willing to go and help forgath even though he knew him as an enemy. And hell, he also argued with complains about not killing Minmax, because at the time, the guy was in no shape to fight anybody.

I don't think a brief moment of pettiness AKA "I so enjoyed watching MM land on that big empty head of his" is enough to warrant all this concern about him falling or accidentally setting loose the demon in the axe. Big ears is written as a regular guy. He can be silly and petty and rude sometimes. That doesn't make him less of a paladin. It makes him more real.

Talos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Talos » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:15 pm

It may have been a short time in the comic, but it's been close to a decade in reality since he became a paladin. Ideas, styles, and a lot of other things can change in that time.

HerdsCats
Of Few Words

Post by HerdsCats » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:26 pm

I'm not sure what you mean. It's been 10 years for us since he became a paladin,but for him in the comic it's been a few weeks. He's still a low level paladin who only recently joined the ranks of paladinhood. There are some things that cross over right away, like when he realized that he was no longer comfortable striking somebody from behind. Other things that are less "important" for Paladins to honor might take a while to kick in, if they kick in at all