09-Aug-2015: Shching-thump

Discuss the comic here!
Talos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Re: 09-Aug-2015: Shching-thump

Post by Talos » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:41 pm

Maybe the cloth just reads whether or not he has anything in his hands?

hellspawned
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by hellspawned » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:38 am

Lucky coincidence how that magical face cloth has just the perfect shade to match the rest of Thac0s clothing.

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: dbg_

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:46 am

lingrem wrote:Totally ignoring all conversation to add in my only real thought reading this page:

Where are the statues? How did that much conversation go on without them? Did they all get taken out the page before and I somehow missed that?? lol

ETA: Looking at it... yeah maybe he did. I just thought he only took out a few of them.
The fight is over, all the statues defeated, yes.
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by SpeaksManyLanguages on Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:47 am

Spoilers, Speaks, spoilers!

Hellspawn: Well, if he hadn't lost the pink...
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:49 am

Okay, added spoiler tag. I didn't wrote anything to draw conclusions from, there, though :paranoia:

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:57 am

Nope, but some people care a lot about not knowing, and you kind of gave away the next page ;)

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Xavier78 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:13 pm

How is that giving away anything? He just described almost every Goblins page, ever. If people get butthurt over that, they are way too eager to get enraged.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:19 pm

Please don't jump to conclusions. I'm not talking about anyone being enraged. There is a rule about spoilers, I perceived what speaks said as a spoiler and pointed it out in a way I feel comfortable doing towards him because he's a forum regular. Nothing more, nothing less.

Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles
UStream Username: Zathyr

Post by Zathyr » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:37 pm

The
► Show Spoiler
part was particularly telling, I thought. But I don't really mind. :P

We're seeing the floor texture again I've noticed. I guess if you're going to have characters interacting with it (ie. Complains falling onto it) then it should appear floorish?
Image And always make sure your dragons are happy little dragons.

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:32 am

Zathyr wrote:The
► Show Spoiler
part was particularly telling, I thought. But I don't really mind. :P
I'm so tempted to give an actual spoiler, the setup for the joke is perfect...
But ALAS :P

P.S. and i was totally fine with Guus pointing out the sentence was spoilerish enough to be covered in the tags. I have the same view of the situation. 8)

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:39 am

Yeah, after my last skirt with spoilers here, I made a policy of not mentioning anything, even the fact that I knew something. And the the way, I named the thread because I remembered, I think it was Krulle, talking about how he'd name them after sound effects. And the Tower scene was a MUCH better use of Sara Puked it.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:43 am

It wasn't me
Sidewaysgts wrote:Anyone else remember a time when page titles usually used a sound-effect taken from the page?

*CLANK*

Id be all for going back to that.
(I complained about the format used, and tried covertly to push for
dd-Mon-yy instead of American notation (Mon-dd-yy)
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

VBAtheflyinghead
Remains Silent

Post by VBAtheflyinghead » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:14 am

I wonder how much becoming part Demon affected Complains, how much was his behavior affected.
As someone who loves this kind of situation in Stories, I'm going to Squee if Complains has become unconsciously deathly afraid of Holy weapons and Smite Evil. (when someone behavior is changed due to becoming something else, and having to deal with new senses and instincts)

Talos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Talos » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:18 pm

VBAtheflyinghead wrote:I wonder how much becoming part Demon affected Complains, how much was his behavior affected.
As someone who loves this kind of situation in Stories, I'm going to Squee if Complains has become unconsciously deathly afraid of Holy weapons and Smite Evil. (when someone behavior is changed due to becoming something else, and having to deal with new senses and instincts)
It just seems like a visual shorthand for his "demonic" anger that he was already known for. Visual cues for character development. It's not exactly subtle, but there you go. A bit like Kin putting on that purple coat when she killed her abuser to cover what he had exposed. Or Big Ears getting paladin armor to reflect his class. And of court, the IME. I could go on for a while. And yes, while comics or any other visual medium is aided by visual cues to express something, it is hardly subtle. Given how compressed events are in this (not much time has passed in-story), I guess some of this becomes necessary at some point.

Not that all changes in clothing and/or appearance are necessarily significant. Thaco getting pants could just be an art upgrade, for example. Something that makes him look a bit more dignified that an old goblin with a scrap of cloth over his privates. And some are just useful items acquired on an adventure (like Grem's new gear), a feature of virtually every adventure or RPG ever made.